Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I_love_UMKC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here apply to UMKC? Any comments about the school etc??

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression (although correct me if I am wrong) that since they had the 6 year med program that it was extremely difficult to get a spot if you were applying with an existing bachelor's degree.

I do know a long list of those who have attended that school and are now fabulous physicians, so that speaks well for the school, in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people drop out of the BS/MD program. Those slots are available for regular applicants -- althought it's not an AMCAS application. Matriculation starts in January. You join the BS/MD program halfway through year 2 so it takes 4.5 years to get your MD.

BUMP. No one has applied from SDN?

UMKC doesn't exactly make it easy for MD-only applicants. Application must be postmarked 1 Aug (so the August MCAT is too late). The 1 Aug date includes the LORs (and they require a funky form) so if your LOR writers take off for the summer you're in trouble. Biochem is a pre-req. Oh, and don't forget that you have to apply to both UMKC and UMKC-Med.

It's just too much for a longer program that isn't all that well respected. So at the moment I'm holding out for Mizzou.

ed2brute said:
UMKC doesn't exactly make it easy for MD-only applicants. Application must be postmarked 1 Aug (so the August MCAT is too late). The 1 Aug date includes the LORs (and they require a funky form) so if your LOR writers take off for the summer you're in trouble. Biochem is a pre-req. Oh, and don't forget that you have to apply to both UMKC and UMKC-Med.

It's just too much for a longer program that isn't all that well respected. So at the moment I'm holding out for Mizzou.
True. Do you need to have the Biochem pre-req done before Aug 1 though? Couldn't you take this in upcoming fall?

I_love_UMKC said:
True. Do you need to have the Biochem pre-req done before Aug 1 though? Couldn't you take this in upcoming fall?

I am taking BioChem this fall, but I didn't take the April MCAT so no dice for ed2brute.

I'm not sure how competitive the MD-only slots are. I'm sure you could take biochem in the fall and then matriculate in January. My concern would be that not having biochem puts you at a disadvantage in the pool, although I have no evidence this is so.

How does that put you to disadvantage? What about if you are taking 2 of the pre-reqs in the fall? Any experience or evidence that you know of or can elaborate? If you can't say it here, you can PM me if you like. Thanks...

I_love_UMKC said:
Anyone here apply to UMKC? Any comments about the school etc??
I_love_UMKC said:
bump...anyone?
I_love_UMKC said:
BUMP. No one has applied from SDN?

Either you're completely neurotic and enjoy bumping your thread every 20 minutes or you're currently affiliated with UMKC and are fishing for attention or compliments. Are you a current UMKC Med student? I know a good handful.

I was accepted to the 6-year program coming out of high school, but decided that I wanted to have an undergraduate life, so I declined that route pretty easily. I have a couple friends that went through the 6-year program, but don't know of anyone who applied there after undergrad.

Silly sheep. Sheep don't belong on the beach.

Dallenoff said:
because...they belong...in the bedroom? :confused:

heh heh heh

While trying to fall asleep, absolutely.