UMKC January Admissions - Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_of_rock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never done this before so hopefully I'm doing it correctly! Also sorry this is sort of a mischievous topic. But I am foreshadowing an issue with my application cycle. UMKC is not one of my top choice schools, but as a Missouri resident, I see it as one of my best chances to tack an MD at the end of my name (which is what this is all about at the end of the day!) One problem, THEY MATRICULATE IN JANUARY.

If I get in to UMKC I will have no choice but to accept, because I would never forgive myself if I gave it up and didn't get in to another MD school. But I have 29 other active applications to schools that I would rather attend. A friend at Mizzou told me that their friend matriculated at UMKC in January, then got accepted to Mizzou in March, and they LEFT THE PROGRAM, swallowed the first year's tuition, and started at Mizzou in the fall. Crazy. Anyway, I can't be the only person ever to be in this predicament and I'm wondering if my friend's story is true. I thought that once you matriculate with a school AMCAS somehow drops you and other schools can't contact you further? I feel like ideally I would defer my admission at UMKC and start the following January but I'm sure AMCAS would do the same thing.

I guess my question is: is there anyone on here who is facing this predicament or better yet, has gone through it? What are you planning to do/what did you do and what advice do you have? Thanks so much in advance. You all know how much this means and how much effort has gone into getting to this point. Too important to screw up!

Members don't see this ad.

Also a Missouri resident and went to undergrad at UMKC. I can tell you first hand it is really hard to even get a shot at UMKC for the 4 year program because their MS1 class is mostly filled with students from their 6 year BA/MD program, and by the time they matriculate into the medical school there's only about 10-12 spots open for 4 year matriculants which makes it really competitive to get an acceptance. So I wouldn't even worry about that issue. Just go with the flow of the cycle and see where it gets you. If it ends up being that you have to swallow 1 year of tuition to go somewhere else that is better than so be it, at the end of the day it's your career on the line.

Reactions: 1 user
Also a Missouri resident and went to undergrad at UMKC. I can tell you first hand it is really hard to even get a shot at UMKC for the 4 year program because their MS1 class is mostly filled with students from their 6 year BA/MD program, and by the time they matriculate into the medical school there's only about 10-12 spots open for 4 year matriculants which makes it really competitive to get an acceptance. So I wouldn't even worry about that issue. Just go with the flow of the cycle and see where it gets you. If it ends up being that you have to swallow 1 year of tuition to go somewhere else that is better than so be it, at the end of the day it's your career on the line.
That is not very many spots, it sounds like this won't be an issue! But it sounds like leaving after the first semester really is an option?? Thank you for responding!