UMN VS UNMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sky.blue.dental

Reaction score
I have not seen these two compared. if you could get in state tuition at either, what are pros and cons at each, hypothetically

Members don't see this ad.

I have not seen these two compared. if you could get in state tuition at either, what are pros and cons at each, hypothetically
have you been accepted?
how can you get in state tuition in 2 different states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t know about the quality of clinical education, but Minneapolis is going to have more things to do and better flight options (depending on where home is) than Lincoln, NE. Depends what you’re looking for outside of school. If you put the work in either school should make you a fine dentist.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak for UNM, but UNMC was competing for my top choice this past cycle.

Pros:
- Small class size.
- Renovated facilities.
- Emphasis on student mental health.
- Faculty & staff are extremely friendly. The person giving the school tour knew all the students we randomly came across by name. Also noticed students were very happy, even if doing lab work after hours (the tour was later in the afternoon/evening). Everyone we ran into was legitimately having a good time.
- One of the Rec. Centers is a 10 min walk from the College of Dentistry. The other one is ~10 min drive away.
- Seems very digital dentistry oriented (3D printing, computer-based simulators for drilling teeth, iWall for learning).
- Lincoln has some beautiful neighborhoods to live in and a lot more to do than I anticipated (but I come from a very small town).
- Univ. of Nebraska sports is a big deal; Lincoln becomes like the 3rd largest city in Nebraska during home football games.

Cons:
- Nebraska as a state, not that exciting unless you have a cornfield fetish.
- Winters can be rough.
- Didn't appear to have much student diversity.
- All specialties not under one roof (OMFS is in Omaha; ~1hr drive one-way).

Reactions: 1 user