Unaccredited program on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacchopefully1223

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not applying to med school yet, but this is keeping me up at night... Also tried to call AMCAS, but couldn't get a hold of them.

In 2014-2015, I did a NIGHTMARE of a program focused of coaching education... It was disorganized, some classes were taught by people without a phd or even a masters, and I did not do well. I got a 3.0 or something like that.. I can't even tell you, because my grades are no where.. I think we got them on a piece of paper every quarter.. No transcript, no nothing. Exercise physiology and psychology were two classes, however it was highly modified for coaches and geared towards the sport we were involved in... Basically the program doesn't exist. It's not a professional school, it's not a real institution.. It's nothing.. And their disorganization makes me look bad. I'm panicking.. Does this need to be included? I'm applying to post bacc premed programs currently.. Do I need to include it? It does not highlight my academic ability. They take your money, and then waste your time.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you get at the end of it, a plastic trophy that says "PARTICIPANT"? You're only required to list the post-secondary institutions you attended, if it's not a real institution and was just some random organization of grifters then you don't have to list it. Just make sure that that is the case. Whether it does or does not highlight your academic abilities is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user
I received a piece of paper that said "advanced certififice in _____ leadership" the ____ being the sport the program was focused on.

It's the only program of its kind... It doesn't exist anywhere else, and takes place at the sport's facility... Not a school or anything like that.

I do like the idea of a trophy.. Perhaps I'll suggest it hahha

Members don't see this ad :)
Better to be honest now then to explain later... just in case.

Yeah, in this case it is likely not a post-secondary institution as implied in the AMCAS instruction. It can only hurt GPA as it is not an accredited institution and none of the course work will count towards anything in medical school. It can be reasonably inferred that a private training program in coaching is not a college class. If it was sponsored by a college and/or paid for with recognized Federal grants or loans, then it needs to examined further.

Thank you for the response... So to be clear, if it is not accredited, I should not waste my time listing it as secondary education? I emailed the director asking him about it, and he verified that it is not accredited but was thinking that I actually wanted to use the transcript, so he continued to say "Not accredited but recognized by most. We've done transcripts for all sorts of post graduate programs in the past." not sure what that is supposed to mean, but I asked him to call me, so I can clarify. What key words should I use when asking him??

I did not use federal loans for this program.

Not accredited secondary institution, not paid for by student aid money, was it associated in any way, shape or form with any college or was it independent/private?
It is not associated with any particular college. I did not have to register with a university, and payments were made directly to the program. A few classes were taught by professors from local universities, but were not college courses... They were modified for relevance to fit what we were studying

Awesome. Thank you so much for everyone's help. I'm going to re verify everything tomorrow just in case, but I think I'm okay