Unbalanced 514 MCAT, 3.7 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

facingthemcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your best chances are your MI schools though U Michigan is a reach. Central Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Wayne State and Michigan State are where your best chances are. For OOS schools you could add:
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
SLU
Creighton
Tulane
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
GW
Eastern Virginia
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances are ~75% for a MD admission but if you apply this month to a large number of appropriate schools and submit all your secondaries by August you can increase those odds to near 90%.

Reactions: 1 user
^Thanks Faha. Can I also add UToledo (I lived in OH when I was a kid), Iowa (their CARS cutoff is a 123), and Hofstra?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT- 124 CARS, 130 everything else. I actually retook it from a 30 (10P/9V/11B)
GPA- 3.7c/3.55s
State: MI
2000+ hours of community service with 3-4 organizations (non-medical)
600 clinical hours
1500 research (no pubs, only poster + abstract)
100 shadowing
VP of a school dance team (but graduated 3 yrs ago)
Co-founder and board member of school club
non-URM

Looking at MD for now. My main concern is CARS. How difficult will this score make my cycle? I just want to get into A medical school, no harvard, etc. I do want to toss my app in for my alma mater, UMich, if its not a waste of money.

My list right now consists of all schools on MSAR with a bottom 10% VR of 8 and all MI schools. I do have a couple w/ 10th percentile at 9VR: Temple, Tulane, SLU, Miami, OSU, Einstein, BU, Tufts, Dartmouth... Should I keep them on there? What are my chances in general?

There's another 124 CARS thread on the front page right now btw if you want to take a look at that. On MSAR there's at least 50+ schools that have 8VR (goes down a lot if you exclude regional bias etc... but still a lot) You should be fine making a complete list as long as you aren't only aiming at uber top tier.

Your best chances are your MI schools though U Michigan is a reach. Central Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Wayne State and Michigan State are where your best chances are. For OOS schools you could add:
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
SLU
Creighton
Tulane
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
GW
Eastern Virginia
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances are ~75% for a MD admission but if you apply this month to a large number of appropriate schools and submit all your secondaries by August you can increase those odds to near 90%.
As someone with similar stats, that last sentence made me happy

I personally wouldnt really factor in the 10th percentile verbal stats too much. How each school looks at a 124 CARs will vary for sure but there arent alot of 90th percentile 513 esque scores with a 124(40th-50th sub section) and it is so easy for a 10th percentile verbal to fluctuate from 8 to 9 in a given year that it limits the utility of such a stat. Rather I'd focus more on schools that get <11k apps and are OOS friendly with an MCAT median around roughly 32 or so.

More than half of Toledo's OOS class is from MI, you should definitely add it. You have lots of schools your stats are competitive for in MI. Add those and some OOS schools with stats around yours(I'd prioritize the ones that get <11k apps personally) and you should have a good list.