DO Unbalanced MCAT, 3.40 cGPA, 3.35sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rescue1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm wondering if my MCAT results are too skewed and if I should retake. I'll be applying DO only.
I'm a PA resident, I've been working as a 911 EMT full time for several years. My cGPA is 3.31, my sGPA is 3.37. I did take post bacc for my science courses when I changed my career from firefighting (my undergrad is in Economics).

My MCAT breakdown is: Chem 124, CARS 131, Bio 123, Psych 125, Total 504. I had a previous, old MCAT that was 8/10/8 from 2014, so I'd prefer not to take the MCAT against unless I have to. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of my bio score.

I have thousands of clinical patient contact hours from work, hundreds of volunteer hours as a firefighter in college and from Habitat for Humanity. I have around 150 total hours of shadowing three different physicians, though most of them are an orthopedic surgeon. No research. Solid LORs, including a "highly recommended" committee letter for DO schools.

I was looking at PCOM, NYCOM, and Rowan initially, but would like to add on to that list and get some depth given my MCAT score. I would love the Touro schools, as underserved urban medicine is my goal, but I fear my low bio score will put me out of the running.

What do you think? Is it worth applying without retaking the exam? Are there schools where my low biological science grade won't DQ me immediately?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I mistyped, my cGPA is 3.3, not 3.4. Can't edit the title though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should apply broadly with what you have and see what happens. A third MCAT sitting is rarely advisable. @Goro will be able to give you the best advice, so definitely listen to what he has to say.

Last edited:
You are competitive for many DO schools with your current GPA and MCAT of 504. Apply broadly to at least 15 schools and consider these schools where your chances would be good:
ACOM
BCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
WCU-COM
LECOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)

Members don't see this ad :)