Unbalanced MCAT, retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake 510 MCAT with 124 bio score?

• Yes

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 54.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CT153

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in 2016 and got a very unballenced 510 (<50th percentile B.B.) This was the score I used in my 2016-17 application cycle, and while I received two interview invites I did not end up with any acceptances. My question is should I retake it before I reapply In 2018? I know 510 is an okay score for some schools but I'm thinking the low bio section scores would be a red flag to adcoms.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you sure it was your MCAT that didn't get you any acceptances because I honestly don't think it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not crazy about the Bio124, but you managed to snag two IIs with it anyway. So

1) work on your interview skills this cycle
2) if you're reapplying, have a better list
3) have DO schools on the list
4) improve your app in other ways, like boosting service ot others less fortunate than yourself, or volunteering with the most vulnerable, fragile patient populations, such as the developmentally disabled, or in hospice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not crazy about the Bio124, but you managed to snag two IIs with it anyway. So

1) work on your interview skills this cycle
2) if you're reapplying, have a better list
4) improve your app in other ways, like boosting service ot others less fortunate than yourself, or volunteering with the most vulnerable, fragile patient populations, such as the developmentally disabled, or in hospice.

Thank you for the advice!

Are you sure it was your MCAT that didn't get you any acceptances because I honestly don't think it is.

I made about every mistake in the book when I applied and have plenty to improve upon. There doesn't seem to be too much precedent of applicants (at least on SDN) with bio as their low section, so I wanted to see if I needed to add an MCAT retake to my to-do list for the upcoming year.

I've noticed how #3 is a huge reason for people being re-applicants (myself included). OP your scores are well within striking distance of some solid DO programs and low/mid MD programs.

As for #4, I think it'd really help your app out a lot. I ended up volunteering in a homeless shelter and consequently developed a passion for serving people experiencing homelessness, which helped me decide on how to spend my gap year (w/ rural homeless). You don't have to necessarily choose the path I did, but I think it could really help you out. It's certainly helped me -- both personally and with my app

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like I'm in the minority but I'd be looking at a retake based on how strong your other science section was. Take the bio prep seriously this time

Looks like I'm in the minority but I'd be looking at a retake based on how strong your other science section was. Take the bio prep seriously this time
But actually, retake it. The bio section is probably the most important of the sections

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I made about every mistake in the book when I applied and have plenty to improve upon. There doesn't seem to be too much precedent of applicants (at least on SDN) with bio as their low section, so I wanted to see if I needed to add an MCAT retake to my to-do list for the upcoming year.

Please detail what those mistakes were

But actually, retake it. The bio section is probably the most important of the sections

I agree with the retake but only after really prepping for the bio section. But when are you reapplying? If you're applying this cycle, I'm not sure that a score coming out in Sept or Oct will help you.

I, too, think the bio section is one of the most important sections. IMHO, a 124 in the bio section signals that your bio knowledge/understanding is weak and that maybe you have memorization issues.

Thanks, this is what my gut feeling has been, and I really needed to hear I wasn't crazy for thinking of retaking it. I definitely did not give myself enough time to prep before my exam last year.

Thanks, this is what my gut feeling has been, and I really needed to hear I wasn't crazy for thinking of retaking it. I definitely did not give myself enough time to prep before my exam last year.

Be prepared. Not only the bio section, but you can't afford to have those other sections drop.

Yeah I'm gonna guess you have a chem/physics background and didn't do much bio content review? Scoring 100th percentile in one and 40th percentile in the other is such an extreme gap I think you can be confident that proper review would get you huuuge gains in that section

Members don't see this ad :)

What were your AAMC practice scores? Bio subsection scores?

Yeah I'm gonna guess you have a chem/physics background and didn't do much bio content review? Scoring 100th percentile in one and 40th percentile in the other is such an extreme gap I think you can be confident that proper review would get you huuuge gains in that section

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I only gave myself four weeks to prep for the MCAT due to an unexpected time crunch finishing my senior thesis research and that was not nearly enough to learn the bio. I think with 6 months of solid prep I can bring that score up a lot.

Last edited:
What were your AAMC practice scores? Bio subsection scores?

I only took two practice exams, but on both my bio scores were 60-70th percentile. I think for those I lucked out that the questions on those exams happened to be on material I was more familiar with.

I took the MCAT in 2016 and got a very unballenced 510 (132/127/124/127). This was the score I used in my 2016-17 application cycle, and while I received two interview invites I did not end up with any acceptances. My question is should I retake it before I reapply In 2018? I know 510 is an okay score for some schools but I'm thinking the low bio section scores would be a red flag to adcoms.

I support retaking 510 but provided you work very hard for the bio section and make sure the other sections don't drop in the retake. A retake score 515+ with 129 bio section and rest unchanged will significantly improve chances. Couple with @Goro suggestions above, you'll have a more successful reapplication cycle.

I was planning to take my Mcat for the first time this summer but for some reasons I wasn't able to study as much. Is it better to wait another year and try next summer to get a good score or should I just try and see how it is? Will it have negative effect in my application if i do it and not get a good score?

Is it better to wait another year and try next summer to get a good score or should I just try and see how it is?
No, you should not "just try".

Will it have negative effect in my application if i do it and not get a good score?
Yes, it will have a significant negative effect if you take it and score poorly.

I was planning to take my Mcat for the first time this summer but for some reasons I wasn't able to study as much. Is it better to wait another year and try next summer to get a good score or should I just try and see how it is? Will it have negative effect in my application if i do it and not get a good score?
Take an AAMC practice exam under test conditions (like with a timer and hard stops when the timer runs out). Tell us what the score is.

I only took two practice exams, but on both my bio scores were 60-70th percentile. I think for those I lucked out that the questions on those exams happened to be on material I was more familiar with.

This comment right here tells me that you should make the effort to retake, with a better/different study approach. There will be a lot of content on the exam that you don't know, but all of the foundational biology concepts should be at least familiar to you. A 100th percentile on another section tells me that your test taking skills / interpretation skills are probably more than good enough to get a higher score. The problem is then with your foundational knowledge. That's an easy fix if you are willing to put in the effort!

If the 124 were in any other section, the advice you would be receiving would largely be one-sided, but unfortunately the 124 is in arguably the most important section of the exam. I strongly recommend a retake given you have the time to adequately prepare.

Same as above two. Bio is the most important section, and since you hit 100th percentile in the physical sciences, I bet a good amount of bio background review will see you jump ~5 or more points.

Just got scores in from my May retake, 517 with a 99th percentile BB. Thank you to all that advised me to retake! I would very much appreciate input from anyone with admissions committee experience on how to take both scores into consideration for a school list this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got scores in from my May retake, 517 (129/127/131/130). Thank you to all that advised me to retake! I would very much appreciate input from anyone with admissions committee experience on how to take both scores into consideration for a school list this cycle.
What state?
The AAMC advises us to average scores but there really is no way to know how individual examiners will interpret multiples.
When you are ready, start a thread in WAMC and we'll all pitch in.

Last edited:
I'm happy for you and all, but I didn't realize such asymmetry was possible lol.