UNC chapel hill VS UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepharmwithquestions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide between UNC Chapel Hill and UCSF. I know that academically both schools are going to prepare me to be a great pharmacist but in the future I would like work in california and I am worried that if I go to UNC I would only have networks/ connect within North Carolina. Also I feel like the west coast is blind to the greatness that is UNC and in a market so saturated anything helps! Even name recognition (with of course a foundation in pharmaceutical greatness)

Also UNC is cheaper in comparison to UCSF tuition/ living cost wise and I already have debt from undergraduate it would be difficult to have even more debt piled on!

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently trying to decide between UNC Chapel Hill and UCSF. I know that academically both schools are going to prepare me to be a great pharmacist but in the future I would like work in california and I am worried that if I go to UNC I would only have networks/ connect within North Carolina. Also I feel like the west coast is blind to the greatness that is UNC and in a market so saturated anything helps! Even name recognition (with of course a foundation in pharmaceutical greatness)

Also UNC is cheaper in comparison to UCSF tuition/ living cost wise and I already have debt from undergraduate it would be difficult to have even more debt piled on!

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

If I were you I would go to UNC.

Both are top tier Pharmacy schools, but keep in mind your end goals.

Look at the classroom and teaching models of each school, the overall student body (are most going research? Clinical? Retail? Where do you want to go?), what opportunities exist there (both have many great opportunities for studying abroad, networking, and researching while in Pharm School), and what the environment entails.

You need to put more research into this. So far I hear: (1) Cost (2) Name Recognition (3) Networking.

Is that all you care about? There's more to this equation you could add in; though, if those 3 things are what you care about and you want to establish yourself in California, UCSF may not be a bad choice at all.

Are you applying for 2017 admissions?
Also, check out this map of alumni for UNC & the states where they end up (in case that's really scaring you): http://pharmacy.sites.unc.edu/files/2015/03/us.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Both are top tier Pharmacy schools, but keep in mind your end goals.

Look at the classroom and teaching models of each school, the overall student body (are most going research? Clinical? Retail? Where do you want to go?), what opportunities exist there (both have many great opportunities for studying abroad, networking, and researching while in Pharm School), and what the environment entails.

You need to put more research into this. So far I hear: (1) Cost (2) Name Recognition (3) Networking.

Is that all you care about? There's more to this equation you could add in; though, if those 3 things are what you care about and you want to establish yourself in California, UCSF may not be a bad choice at all.

Are you applying for 2017 admissions?
Also, check out this map of alumni for UNC & the states where they end up (in case that's really scaring you): http://pharmacy.sites.unc.edu/files/2015/03/us.gif

Hi! I really appreciate you answer it's extremely well thought out. I just got off the wait list that's why my post is so much later than everyone else.
UCSF has decrease their study abroad rotations because it's too difficult to regulate quality of training. However, there are opportunities there you as a student just has to be willing to go out, speak to a faculty member, and make it happen and most of those chances are research based rather than clinical experience. However, UCSF has done some research in woman's health and that is something I am interested in. So maybe that would be a great chance for me.
And although that's true I do want to become a clinical pharmacist so after graduate school I'm going to apply to a residency program and I have been told many times that residency is more deciding of my clinical career versus graduate school. So, I could go to UNC and still get back to California.

But now that I mention that research thing kind of has me thinking....

I guess my biggest concern is which school will give me the most opportunities as a clinical pharmacist in California/ globally, which school will a grow more from, and just trying to minimize regrets

anymore thoughts?