UNC- Chapel Hill???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by rubberducky, Feb 26, 2002.

1. rubberducky

rubberducky Member
    7+ Year Member

To anyone who is a student at UNC, I am curious how you like it there. I have been accepted and am trying to decide where to go. I'm a little concerned about the traditional curriculum and facilities being out-dated. Any input would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. franklinthedog

franklinthedog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

don't know if this will help you....but i went there for a Masters in Healthcare Admin degree (97-99) and loved it. It's a great campus with great people! As far as the med school itself is concerned, I don't know a whole lot. The students I knew in med school there at the time liked it a lot though. I am applying to med school soon, if I got in there I'd definitely go!! Good luck in your decision, wish i could be more helpful.

3. j99

j99 Member
    7+ Year Member

Where else are you considering, rubberducky? I assume that I will end up there because of price, but wasn't aware of facility problems. Granted, the classrooms are ugly, but I hear that with all of the hospital construction/renovation that by the time we got to year 3 we would be learning in essentially brand-new facilities...

Also, I didn't see the anatomy lab on my tour, but I feel like I heard that it is not so great (or at least at ECU they said theirs was a lot better)...

4. rubberducky

rubberducky Member
    7+ Year Member

I sent you a PM J99.

5. rastelli

rastelli Smoove B
    7+ Year Member

UNC has a great med. school......I did some basic science research there, and had some buddies in school there...it's one of the best state schools in the country for medicine (law and business as well). However, I found the town a bit on the redundant side. I'm sure it's great as an undergrad, but Franklin St. remains the same each and every weekend. There's really no alternative, regarding night life, as Durham and Raleigh are equally dead. Don't get me wrong, I love beer, but Chapel Hill is SSDD as far as fun time goes.

6. yigit

yigit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I go there. I go here. I am here.
    If you're from NC there shouldn't be any hesitation. At $6,000 you can't beat the bang for the buck. I came here over a bunch of other schools and I'm an out-of-stater, so that should tell you something about how I feel about UNC.
    I can't think of one thing I would change about my experience so far. It's been perfect.