Uncertain on major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaboy123321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I was recently admitted into University of Georgia, however I'm torn on what major to decide on for the premed track. I've boiled down my options to either Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Microbiology, and plain old biology; Some factors I would like to consider in this decision is how easy it is to obtain a high GPA and what major will provide me with a job if I don't make it into med school. If anyone on this sub has had past experiences with the science department/premed track at UGA and could provide with some guidance I'd really appreciate it, also some general advice for freshman premeds at UGA would also be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You start by taking the same classes regardless, so you can pick your major later.

Reactions: 1 user
Can be of assistance. PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above.

Overall, I can say any undergraduate biology degree will be worth about the same, so choose the one that contains the classes you're most interested in. Health-focused biology degrees are probably less desirable (i.e. Allied Health). In terms of JUST finding a job with an undergraduate degree, my friends that have gone an ACS Chemistry track have had far more success with finding fairly reasonably paying jobs with options for promotion/upward growth with just the bachelors degree (including ACS Biochemistry). The biology majors... not so much.

Disclaimer: No experience with UGA

I'd say the biology-related majors fall pretty low on both the job-prospect and high-GPA rankings. Especially the job one. Consider a non-bio major like chem or CS or something.

Regardless, don't try to pick an easy major. Pick one that makes sense to you in terms of a plan B, something you could see yourself using if you don't get in.

IMO, if you pick an easy major, your college may be easier, but your sciences, MCAT, etc will be much more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile