Underages and Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keitlia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a undergraduate freshman. I intended to volunteer over the summer, but I fear that my chances may be limited now. I was charged with an underage alcohol charge, both municipal and disciplinary action were taken (due to the incident occurring on campus). I was placed on disciplinary probation until September of 2017. I am currently enrolled in the first offenders program on the municipal level, but my case will not be formally expunged until May 16th.

I fear the repercussions of this. The application for the hospital I wanted to apply to volunteer at are due May 11th. Obviously, they do background checks for this. I believe it is a large program, since it is a large hospital located in a larger city. I'm scared that if I apply on May 11th, they will background check me before the 16th. I am afraid that if they find this, it will tarnish my reputation with the hospital all together, even when I go to apply down the road... What are the chances of them checking within those five days? Would it be smarter just to wait until the following year to apply and miss out on this opportunity to begin my pre-med portfolio early?

I know medicine is about maturity, but it really helped me to realize my goals and where I was headed. While it was a terrible event that has already tarnished my record, I'm glad that I learned this lesson now while I still have time to apply it to my life.

Members don't see this ad.

This is going the be very dependent on the place you voulenteer for. Some will care some won't. All you can do is try

Members don't see this ad :)
If I say that I'm applying to volunteer at the Cleveland Clinic, does that change things at all?