Undergrad affiliations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye lovethe eye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe I've asked a question like this before, but I'd like some more opinions and I have a few different questions. I'm a high school junior and I'm interested in optometry. I've been interested since I was in 6th grade and now I'm looking into undergrad schools. Before, I asked the question about undergrad affiliations with the optometry schools and I basically got an answer that it doesn't really matter whether the undergrad school has any affiliations, as long as you do well (I'm guessing that means have a good science GPA, get a good score on the OAT's and be involved) you'll get into any optometry school. Anymore opinions to that? Now I'm also wondering if it's important that you go to a good undergrad school. My mom was talking to our family practitioner and he said that he went to a state university in New Jersey. When he went to apply for medical school, one of the people at the school held up his application and a person who was applying from Harvard and asked him why they'd accept him over the person from Harvard. Of course, this was a long time ago and he was applying to med-school instead of optometry school. I'm just wondering if this is important? Does a state school look bad to an optometry school? Or a small private school? Any answers would greatly help! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey im a highschool senior, if you read my previous thread im also in this type of conflict sort of. If you go to any actual opt school website, you will see 7 year opt programs, which are beneficial but ofcourse, just as any other student you will have to have a high gpa and high oat. Now if your in that program does that mean ur set? not at all i would believe. Everyone has a fair and equal chance, those in the optometry program may have more experience in a certain area (probably non academic e.g interview, personal communication etc..)

However, for me, i dont feel any of those schools are for me, though they are good schools, dont get me wrong. Go where you feel you will do well, if its a financial burden....cant help you there im going through that myself.

Hope this helps! good luck

The financial part is sort of a problem for me too. There are some schools that seem interesting to me, but are so much money! And the state schools are at good prices, but I would like to go to something smaller and perhaps religiously affiliated. Thank you for your input though and good luck finding an undergrad school!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the part about going to a prestigious undergrad school: The answer is, yes. It does matter, but it only matters IF you get good grades there. Think of it this way: oftentimes a prestigious/better school is harder than an "ok" or average school. What's better? doing extremely well at an okay public school, have work experience, score a great OAT score, or doing horrible at a prestigious school, feeling the pressure, and then the OAT results come out horrible? Who are they going to choose? Put yourself in the committee's shoes because they're probably going to show a well rounded candidate with the real deal.

Wherever you go, do well. Show them that you're a strong applicant at the interview. Good luck!

Thanks again for more input! So judging from all of this, everything does matter, but the most important thing is doing well? I'm looking into going to a state school that has a 7 year program with PCO. How would that look? It's only a state school, but it has an affiliated program. The tuition would be low and I may not have to be there for all four years. What would you say to that? I'm so confused on where to go right now. There are some really good-looking schools, but they're all so expensive.

A lot of people are telling me to just make a pros/cons list for all of the schools you want to go to and remember to not worry too much about how expensive a place is.. the question is.. how badly and why do you want to go there? You'll pay off the tuition eventually, with loans to help you along the way.

There is a big advantage of going to a school and getting into a 7yr program, they don't require as high standards to be accepted. For example, a school with a 7yr program with SUNY only requires that you maintain a 3.3gpa, and have OAT scores above 310. But if you were to apply to SUNY without being in the 7yr program, the avg gpa is 3.46, and the avg OAT is 349/361. (http://www.opted.org/info_profile.cfm)

Additionally, you have one less year spent wasting time in unrelated (read: boring) classes, and paying tuition. You usually need to get into a 7yr program at the same time you get into your undergrad (with an interview), or you can apply in your freshman yr. They require you to have a really good gpa in high school and a high SAT score. If you can get into a 7yr program, do it! And if you ever change your mind about optometry, you can easily drop out of the program.

hmm true, But those who chose to enroll under EARLY decision or EARLY assuance, is stated to only need above 320 if qualified. Does the 7 year program guarantee an interview? and what happens to the students who score below OAT (280 for example)...do they continue education and reapply the next year?