Undergrad Biochem and/or Physio Useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zestypeas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried searching for threads with this topic, but the ones I did find were five years old and not too informative, so I just thought I'd ask.

If you took biochemistry/physiology in your undergrad years, was it useful in dental school? If you didn't take biochem/physio during your undergrad years, was it difficult to pick up the topic (in your opinion, was it much harder for you compared to those who *had* taken it)?

I'm still an undergrad. For upper-division elective courses, I've taken anatomy and microbiology (and genetics), and I will be taking histology in the fall, so I was just curious if you guys think your undergrad biochem and/or physio class was helpful when you got to dental school - or if one of the classes was more helpful than the other.

I'm only asking because I'm thinking of graduating after the Fall 2010 semester so I can take one semester off and do other things, like dental assisting, etc. - and my school only offers Physio in the spring, so it's a matter of whether I want to stay and take that class or not. As for biochem, I am genuinely curious - I'd like to take a bio course for "fun" (instead of it being a requirement) - something like marine bio, etc. - but if you guys think biochem was a big help, I might just do that instead.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely...I was a mentor (kind of like a tutor) for physio and I ended up doing really well in the bio courses. Right now I'm studying for boards and undergrad biochem is really helping me out because my school didn't to the best job of preparing us for certain aspects. I'd say take 'em both if you have the time (maybe biochem in the fall and just one course in the spring) but if you can't, don't worry about it...you can pick it up with some work. Good luck!

Absolutely...I was a mentor (kind of like a tutor) for physio and I ended up doing really well in the bio courses. Right now I'm studying for boards and undergrad biochem is really helping me out because my school didn't to the best job of preparing us for certain aspects. I'd say take 'em both if you have the time (maybe biochem in the fall and just one course in the spring) but if you can't, don't worry about it...you can pick it up with some work. Good luck!
Although I hated biochemistry in undergraduate, it helped re-memorize the pathways in dental school because I have heard everything twice. Physiology will be what you make out of it (as everything is). If you put a lot of time into the course, it could be beneficial. Especially if the course is a lot of problem solving application problems and note route memorization. Biochemistry is required at many dental schools these days...