Undergrad Crisis for a Pre-Optometry Student !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sab13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys , so i am currently a junior in undergrad and I am really confused and nervous.
My freshman year of college was kinda turbelent. My first semester i did ok. Mostly B's. But then my second semester i failed a pre-calc class and took it over in the summer but i got really sick in the summer and ended with a D. My school wouldnt let me take it a third time so i took it over again at a different school and got an A- and ended up with a B in calculus. Then during the spring of my sophmore year my school introduced a new teacher model called the flipped classroom , where the teacher would put up video's and we would come in once a week to have a clicker class , but that screwed me over cause i didnt like learning like that and i ended up with a C in chem 1 and C- in chem 2. I am currently re taking chem 2 and im pretty sure i will end up with an A-. My current overall GPA is a 2.769. And i am looking to have it atleast to a 3.2 by the time i graduate since im taking an extra semester and graduating in december instead of May. Im kinda worried about the C's. and dont know if i should retake chem 1 or just try and ace higher level courses.

However, I've shadowed 2 ooptometrists, one working in retail and one working in private. During the summer of my sophmore year i actually got a job at a lenscrafters but later quit to work at a private office which is where i am working now.

So i am familiar with optometric terminology and i have some leadership experience. So do you think if i can raise my gpa to a 3.2 , ace my oats, and have more extracurriculars , i would have a chance at optometry school?.and what is your opnion on retaking chem/.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have a counselor for health professions, might be helpful to talk to that person. Nothing wrong with strengthening your application. It is what and it is, and if you can make it stronger, that can only help you. Is it good enough? It might fly, especially with a good OAT score. I think a high scoring OAT in gen chem may not warrant you needing to retake any classes.

It's not the best application but it's the one you've got, and you can only try to make it stronger. Will it get in this year, or next year, or eventually? probably if you have determination. Good luck.

I'm currently 30 years old and I am a working optometrist with a great job but is single, lonely, and introverted, and I too am confused and apprehensive with my life, but I take it with a deep breath, one step at a time, and try. That's how I cope. Who knows what the future will bring, but always try to make goals and strengthen your application. Make an effort. In my case, it's being more physically attractive through fitness. In your case it's doing well in school.

Reactions: 1 users
Then during the spring of my sophmore year my school introduced a new teacher model called the flipped classroom , where the teacher would put up video's and we would come in once a week to have a clicker class , but that screwed me over cause i didnt like learning like that and i ended up with a C in chem 1 and C- in chem 2.

While definitely a frustrating situation, this is no excuse for doing poorly. In undergrad and graduate work, you'll have to adjust to a variety of coursework and professors. If you are willing to put in the work to raise your GPA and ace your entrance exam (and it sounds like you are), you need to find what study habits work best for you regardless of a professor's style.

dont know if i should retake chem 1 or just try and ace higher level courses

Check with your graduate schools of interest and see what the minimum grade for pre-reqs is. If retaking the course helps your GPA, go for it. If you can achieve your goal by letting the grade be and making A's in the rest of your courses, do that.

It looks like you've had plenty of experience with and are devoted to the field. Best of luck! :)

While definitely a frustrating situation, this is no excuse for doing poorly. In undergrad and graduate work, you'll have to adjust to a variety of coursework and professors. If you are willing to put in the work to raise your GPA and ace your entrance exam (and it sounds like you are), you need to find what study habits work best for you regardless of a professor's style.
Completely agree. At the graduate level, you'll have to take a different attitude when it comes to learning. You won't like all of your professors or their teaching styles, but you'll have to adapt. A 3.2 GPA should be sufficient for some of the schools. Study hard for the OAT. OAT Destroyer is a good resource.

Reactions: 1 user