Undergrad research: Which is most valuable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmula1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad looking to apply to pharmacy schools. I'm also planning to do lab research alongside a professor. Research is which field looks most attractive to the typical pharmacy school? For example: Organic chem, inorganic chem, Biochem, or Microbiology, etc etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you shoud pick a research area that has an intrest to you. That being said, I think organic, or biochem would be the best choice. Anything relating to human health, and medicine is a pluse too.

I think you shoud pick a research area that has an intrest to you. That being said, I think organic, or biochem would be the best choice. Anything relating to human health, and medicine is a pluse too.

I agree. The last thing you want is to be assigned a project you absolutely hate. I did my undergraduate research in Genetics/Neuro. It was a lot of fun and the professor I was researching under also taught a course in Homeostasis so it was a win win when it came to soliciting recommendations. Overall I think pharmacy schools like to see that you have had exposure into the field of research as it requires a completely different approach to analyzing and learning science. Pick something you can see yourself getting really into if given your own project. :thumbup: