Undergraduate Courses During Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Argentarius

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I'm gonna take some undergraduate-level courses during grad school (at the same school where I'm doing my masters) would they end up in my normal GPA/sGPA or in my graduate GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Because I'm gonna take some undergraduate-level courses during grad school (at the same school where I'm doing my masters) would they end up in my normal GPA/sGPA or in my graduate GPA?
If the undergrad class credit is not applied toward your masters degree, the grades will be included in the cumulative undergrad GPA by AMCAS when you apply to med school.

If the undergrad class credit is not applied toward your masters degree, the grades will be included in the cumulative undergrad GPA by AMCAS when you apply to med school.

But if it does count towards the masters it won't? That's odd. They're still undergrad courses with no grade inflation

Members don't see this ad :)
But if it does count towards the masters it won't? That's odd. They're still undergrad courses with no grade inflation
There are some exceptions. Pull up a chair. From p 33 of the AMCAS Applicants Guide:

Unusual Circumstances

If you attempted graduate-level coursework while formally enrolled in an undergraduate program,
credit for the graduate coursework is counted toward the undergraduate degree requirements:
• Do not assign GR status to any professional or graduate-level coursework applied to an undergraduate
degree. The graduate-level coursework should be listed under the appropriate status (FR, SO, JR,
SR, PB) at the time the courses were attempted.

If you have attempted undergraduate-level coursework while formally enrolled in a graduate program
and the undergraduate coursework does not count toward the graduate degree requirements:
• If you previously earned a bachelor’s degree, you should list the undergraduate-level coursework
under PB status and not under GR status. If you have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree,
the undergraduate-level coursework should be assigned to the appropriate undergraduate
status (FR, SO, JR, SR).

If you have enrolled simultaneously in undergraduate and graduate programs (e.g., bachelor’s/
master’s dual degree):
• The graduate-level coursework will count toward a graduate degree and should be listed under
graduate status at the time the courses were attempted. The undergraduate-level coursework
should be assigned the appropriate undergraduate status (FR, SO, JR, SR).

If you have enrolled in a dual-degree program and the graduate-level coursework will count toward
both the graduate and undergraduate degrees:
• The graduate-level coursework should be listed under both the appropriate undergraduate
and graduate academic statuses.

If you have enrolled in a professional degree program (nursing, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, etc.)
leading to a bachelor’s degree:
• FR, SO, JR, and SR statuses should be assigned.

If you have enrolled in a professional degree program (law, medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, etc.)
leading to a doctorate degree before receiving a bachelor’s degree:
• Refer to your transcript or contact the school to confirm course level. In many cases, GR status may
be assigned to professional-level coursework leading to a doctorate degree, even if you have not
earned an undergraduate degree.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have attempted undergraduate-level coursework while formally enrolled in a graduate program
and the undergraduate coursework does not count toward the graduate degree requirements:
• If you previously earned a bachelor’s degree, you should list the undergraduate-level coursework
under PB status and not under GR status. If you have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree,
the undergraduate-level coursework should be assigned to the appropriate undergraduate
status (FR, SO, JR, SR).

The fact that they are considered post-bacc doesn't bother me because thats still going to be in AMCAS GPA not Graduate GPA. Do I have that right?

The fact that they are considered post-bacc doesn't bother me because thats still going to be in AMCAS GPA not Graduate GPA. Do I have that right?
Correct. Your undergrad postbac grades and university grades that went toward the bachelors degree are calculated together to give the cumulative uGPA for AMCAS applications.

Reactions: 1 user