Undergraduate urging me to apply after sophomore year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpatel24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys as the title says:

Apparently my undergrad has a 3+1 program: (This is what it says word for word)

The 3 + 1 option within the Premedicine Major allows students to apply to medical or dental school one year early (after the sophomore year), and if accepted, to leave Penn State to start professional school after the junior year. Because of the competitive nature of medical school, it is recommended that students have at least a 3.7 GPA to take advantage of this option. To satisfy the 3 + 1 option, students must complete 95 Penn State credits, including the courses designated below.

Well because I have a 3.8+ GPA, my counselor told me to apply at the end of my sophomore year next year. They assured me after my first year of dental school I will receive my bachelor's degree.

So technically, I will be applying with the intent to get my bachelor's degree. Therefore, if I choose to apply after sophomore year, will I be able to apply and write in the application that I will receive a bachelor's degree?

Do you think this is a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a great idea. I don't know what schools would think but I would do it, anything to get in before things get harder lol.

So Penn State will just give you a bachelors degree if you make it into dental school as a junior and dont finish you senior year through them? seems odd.. Also even if you have a great GPA what is your DAT score? Not many schools are to keen on accepting students of your nature. And they will only care if you are getting your degree at the time of matriculation. You saying you will receive your Bachelors AFTER you have already finished a whole year of dental school seems odd

eta.. just saw you said you were a freshman. You never know if your GPA is going to take a hit so you should probably wait til the end of next year since you usually take your easiest classes your freshman year

Members don't see this ad :)
Put yourself in a position to be a quality applicant for this early admission program! It would be silly to not take advantage. Apply to Penn's program after your soph yr as suggested, they may even have a completely different process, may not use AADSAS, for reserved admission. If you're accepted, wonderful! Just know many reserved admission programs are just that... a reserved seat *if* you maintain a certain GPA, get a certain DAT score, etc.

UMKC has such a program for KS residents like myself, just wish I would have known about it before my Jr year! Good luck!

I would go for it. It sounds like a good deal to me. I would also probably talk to the schools because some schools take a few people without a degree but don't take many. I wonder if they would be more ok with accepting you if they know you will get a degree.

thank you for your help guys.

I was just wondering, if I told them that I will receive my bachelor's degree later on, will I still be at a disadvantage than the other students applying.

thank you for your help guys.

I was just wondering, if I told them that I will receive my bachelor's degree later on, will I still be at a disadvantage than the other students applying.

Obviously I don't know how the schools would look at it exactly but the only reason i brought it up is because I know my school likes to get the final info, final grades/degrees and stuff like that before we start school so they can post their stats for future applicants to see. So they list final GPAs and how many have a degree and how many dont so they may want more people with degrees but only the schools can answer that really.

On the other hand, not have a degree may not affect your chances at all

Unlike early admission (accelerated) programs, which are done in collaboration with dental (medical) schools, the Penn State 3+1 program is a unilateral program and as such, the fact that they are willing to offer you a B.S. degree after one year of dental/medical school will likely have little or no bearing on your admission to dental school. Simply stated, acceptance to dental school is based on the performance at time of application/admission.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=942453

Once again thanks for all your help and quick replies.

BTW, let's say I am a California student, but attend a undergraduate university out of state, when I apply to medical school, I still have to put my residence as a Californian. However, would I be at a disadvantage for someone who did their undergrad in California as opposed to out of state? I know it's a bit confusing, sorry.