UNECOM class of 2007!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get a thread going here for those who will be starting UNE next fall. I'd love to meet some of my future classmates!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, NMH2001

I will see you in August, (probably the end of July)... I am so excited because I just love UNECOM!

What are you doing between now and then?

Looserdude:clap: :clap:

I am just as excited to be going to UNE! I too will be moving up there next July. Until then I'm not going to be doing much-just working and saving up $$.

So have you been looking around at housing at all? I've been doing some searching and it looks like good apartments are hard to come by.

Nicole

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, NMH2001

I live in southern New hampshire (which is only a good 1.5 hrs from UNE); so I am thinking of looking for a roomate in July (when the whether will get very beautiful). Right now, I am rather staying at home and excise than moving up and down during this harsh season. I don't have any thing better to do now except buying helpful books, ie...Harrison Principal of Internal Medicine as a good hobby...and checking up my health and teeth...

Looking forward to seeing all of you,

:cool:

Welcome to the UNECOM family! I'm an MS-1 at UNECOM and I love it here! I'm sure you will be happy with your decision to come here. If you have any questions along the way about anything i would be happy to answer them. i'm sure you will be getting flooded with mailings soon and sometimes they can seem overwhelming!

hey, Looserdude--where in NH are you from? i'm from Derry!

congrats to all of you on your acceptances and Happy Holidays!

HI, Bostongirl22,

Ha...ha...haaa...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We should go to golf court in Derry to relax some day. I'll be looking for you when I get to UNE!!!

:cool:

I received my acceptance to UNE on Dec 9...so excited. I have been looking at the apartments and I am getting concerned over the housing. I have a dog (4 years old) and he has to come with me. Does anyone have info or experience with trying to find a house/apartment that enables you to have a dog? Look forward to meeting all of you:)

Congrats to all who have been accepetd! I will be joinging you in August too. I was accepetd the second week of December...a nice early christmas present! :D

I just got my UNECOM acceptance in the mail today! Very excited...I can't wait to go! See you all soon! :clap: :)

Add me to the list!

Congrats MsDO15 - good to hear you'll be there! :)

Thanks Kritenoel...& it was great to meet you at the interview! I'm glad we both got in! So EXCITED!!!!!!!:cool:

Congrats you guys!!! Can't wait to meet some of you!:clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students have any feedback about the Housing Park apts on campus at UNE? Are they nice inside/worth the $/ or do you recommend searching off campus for a better deal? I noticed on the school's website it listed "newer" units for $700 and "older" units were $530. Any feedback about the condition of this place or any other recommendations would be very helpful!

Thanks!! :D

I've started thinking about living there and some of my options - I, too, am curious about the campus housing - anyone out there know anything about it?

Greetings all! :)

Ignore my above post - I'm no longer interested in "UNE" housing. For the price they want I'd rather have a year round appt. or rent a house with people.

I've paid my intial deposit but haven't heard anything from them. Has anyone else gotten any information? :confused:

:D

I sent my deposit back in November and the only thing I have gotten from the school since is a receipt and some financial aid info.

I'm sure once spring rolls around we will be getting more stuff.

Anyone been looking at apartments? My boyfriend and I will be up there mid May so see what is available. From the searching I've done online it looks like the apartment hunting will be a pain in the rear!

Do any of you know if the UNECOM 2007 class is really filled?

Do you think that there is likely to be much movement?

Hello,
I, too, will be joining you in July.
Reguarding whether the class is full, I've heard that it is, but I know for a fact that they were interviewing as late as last weekend.
Look forward to meeting you all.

MEChris72 - I'm just down the road from you! (I'm a Cony grad who returned "home" for this year. My mom's a teacher at Wateville Jr. High.) Good to know there are other Mainers who know about these boards! :)

I got the forms for financial aid in the mail - but I wish I could answer the "when are you going to start" question everyone keeps asking. :confused: (okay, I admit. Part of it is that I'm ready to get started and settled and such.)

:D

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say that I am excited to meet all of you at the end of July at UNECOM. I see that there are some posts from people living in the East Coast, it will be my first time living there but I have heard wonderful things about Maine.

Anyone moving from California? I am looking for someone to split a moving truck from SF to Maine because it is ridiculously expensive!

Also do you know which loan lender is good? I have looked at the list, but each company offers different discount so in the long run, which company is better for the loans?

Well, I will see you all at the end of the summer. I am in Guatemala right now, so if you guys receive important mail, please let me know so I can take care of it abroad.

See you soon!

Picara

Nelnet MedSolutions is good...it doesn't take out fees so you get all your money. Also, You can apply for Maine MedLoan (even if you're not from ME). They seemed like they offered the best for me. I used Citibank in undergrad and part of my 1st yr and they take out fees.
Anyway, I should stop posting and get back to studying for the board! :confused:

Hey people, I have a tough decision to make: UNE or DMU. I liked the facilities at UNE alot better than DMU, however I liked the curriculum better at DMU.

My question is this:
To they teach OMM exceptionally well?
What are the board pass rates?
Do they teach clinical skills well?
Do they have plenty of clinical rotation sites for training?
Do they have good match rates for residency?
How hard is it to find a place to live?

I realize this alot to answer, but I am having a difficult time deciding on schools and time is running out. Thank-you

James

okay, heregoes my attempt to answer you questions. My doctor is a UNE graduate and I'm a part of the incoming class - keep this in mind as your read the rest of this post.

OMM - did you see the lab they have?!? They have five (I think?) OMM/Anatomy Fellow positions every year for people who are interested in OMM research (again, I think that's the deal). My doctor said that she didn't have ANY problems with the OMM section of COMLEX.

Board Pass Rates: I can't find them, but I'll keep looking. There is information about all of the school's rates in the most recent comprehensive aacom publication - check theirwebsite

Clinical Skills: I know they have first year preceptorships that allow med students to be in with patients in the first semester out. During my interview other prospective students asked about how prepared current students felt and the response was positive. If I remember correctly first years need to be able to do a complete physical exam and history by the end of the school year.

Rotation Sites: For the most part, the fourth year is up to you and where you want to go. here is a list of the 2002-2003 clinical sites.

Match Rates: I'm not sure what the "good match rate" is, but here the class of the 2002 is headed. Out 110 grads, 55 are in Osteopathic residencies and 54 are in allopathic residencies. It's a pretty interesting list.

Places to live: I'm finding that there are plenty of apartments in the paper (I'm more "local" then most) and I'm actually looking for people to share the cost of living in a house in Kennebunk. The school allows enough $ for living expenses - that part, once my loans come through, won't be a problem. If you are looking for an oceanside seasonal rental you might need to scramble for "summer" housing, but I don't think it's hard to find an "in town" place in Biddeford, Saco or the other surrounding areas.

I hope that answers your questions. Good Luck with your decision and congrats on multiple acceptances!

oh yeah........

The anatomy program is the second longest program in the country. (235 hours I think? second only to Columbia Med School) The lab is clean, has natural light and divided into "pods" or smaller labs so it's not one large room. They have four people to a body and a fellow to each pod so help is always available. It's an intense anatomy course, but I'll know my stuff when I'm done with it. :)

kritenoel,
thanks for the info. After I posted the above, I made my decision. I will be seeing you in the fall. I feel that both schools will give me great opportunities, but I felt better about UNE. Therefore, I have chosen UNE :clap:
I thought the facilities were great. The lecture hall, anatomy lab, OMM lab, and gym were all very nice. I thought the enthusiasm of the students was impressive as well. They all seemed extremely happy. I think I have made a good decision. Thanks for the help! See you in July ;)

"I think I have made a good decision."

I'll second that! ;)

See you in July! :D

:clap: The schedule came yesterday! We're officially starting orientation July 28th!

I read the stuff they sent out and it's sinking it that this is real! (sending them money *should* have made it feel like it was actually happening...)

In the above post I wrote to JMJ I mentioned that I know of someone willing to rent me a house. It's a three bedroom house on a huge corner lot in Kennebunk - about twenty mins/half hour from UNE, and three miles to the beach. It's just off the main street and has a new washer and dryer and driveway for off-street parking. It has moniter (K-1) and woodstove heat (there are two cords of wood in the basement). It's an older house with tall ceilings and wood floors. She's asking $1150 a month for rent and with utilities it'd probably run closer to $1500. I'm looking for at least one roommate - please let me know if you're interested ;)

bumping for paramed2premed :)

Any future UNECOMers willing to share their backgrounds/stats with those of us who plan to apply for 2004 matriculation?

My name is Eric and I have been accepted for awhile, but recently heard about this forum. Congrats to everyone else accepted and i look forward to meeting you all.

I recently SIGNED a lease for an apartment 10 minutes away from school and AM LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE. The rent is $675/ month and that would be split 2 ways (isnt maine great??). Its a really nice place and I would be willing to tell you more about it if you are interested.

This is the original ad for the place

http://www.une.edu/studentlife/housing/bidd/20.html

Congrats future UNECOMers on your acceptance! Would you mind sharing your backgrounds with those of us who are applying for 2004 matriculation?

Thank you!

PH

Public Health:

Major: Chemistry
Minor: Biology (31 hrs. including 1 year of Biochem, Histology and Physiology)
Cum. GPA: 3.25
Sci. GPA: 3.5
Research: 1 year (Development and synthesis of a New Antibiotic-- Published 2X's)
Work Experience: Organic Laboratory TA for 1.5 years
Volunteer Experience: Red Cross (1.5 years)
EMS volunteer (1 year)
Surgical Holding volunteer (6 mo.)
MCAT: 8V, 8PS, 8BS N
Life Experience: You wouldn't believe it if I told you
Letters of Recommendation: Very Good
Scholarships: Undergraduate Research Schoalrship
Presentation: American Chemical Society (Ap 02')
Extras: Pre-med club (member)
Chemistry club (member)

I hope this helps. It is my belief that UNE is looking for more than numbers. A good overall application should get you an interview. Your goal should be to have an application that the admissions committee will review and respond with: There is no reason we shouldn't interview this person. This means having an application lacking in nothing. Again, I hope this helps. Best Wishes on your future endeavors :D

JJ

hey, congrats everyone on your acceptance, see you at the end of july (I'll be the guy looking like a canadian), just wondering if anyone out there wants to get in on a house, looking for 2-3 other first year guys to live with. So let me know if your interested and see what happens.

For the person wondering about numbers

GPA: 3.54
MCATS: 9's across the board

get lots of volunteer experience, I did a medical missions trip to bolivia and that seemed to interest interviewers, do research, and if you wanna get into UNE COM be cool because everyone there is. Later, look forward to seeing/hearing from all of you.

Oh yeah, how about this fashion show coming up? I hear zoolander and rupaul are gonna make an appearance!

someone else who saw the "fashion show" on the schedule!!
:clap: I'm not the only one!!!!!! :laugh:

I guess it's true what I've heard about UNECOM students -- you guys are a very friendly and supportive bunch!

I wish you all the best of success in your medical careers!

PH

hi people. i am "accept space available" for UNECOM and waiting to find out if i get to join the class of 2007. anyways, if and when i ever find out, i am looking forward to meeting you all.

i'm an MSI and really will be in the "fashion show"....you'll just have to wait and see :D

:laugh:

It's on the updated webpage for the COM class - here

Who knows what we're in for! :) :) :)

kritenoel,

I have not heard anything form UNE in about a month. Have they made contact with you since you paid your deposit. You said in the above post you received the schedule, but what about your Financial Aid info.? Have you recieved your SAR or anything of the such?

What's this about a fashion show? Is it going to be kinky... like underwear and stuff:laugh:

Everyone,
I am looking forward to meeting you people. My plan is to move July 7. It will take me about two days to drive, but I can't wait. When are you all moving?

I haven't heard about anything financial yet - but I'm calling tomorrow to pay the second part of my deposit (Interviewed Jan 11th, paid the first part on Feb 11th and tomorrow's the 11th :) ) and it's on my list of questions to ask them.

I filed my fasfa and have gotten that paperwork back and I returned the stuff that UNE sent me about picking a lender and such. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before I'll know how this whole "borrowing a lot of money" thing looks on paper! I want to go down and meet with someone in the fin. aid office after so I'm sure I understand how it all works and the timeline of loan disbursement.

I'm still looking for roommates (I think I'm going to put a notice up on the boards at UNE and see if I have any takers) but I think a friend of mine (in another program) and I will be moving down in June. The woman I'm renting from is a UNECOM graduate and she understands the med school schedule and such. It's a year round house and she's agreed to hold it for me. It's still up in the air but I'm only an hour and a half or so away. (hopefully everything'll fall into place by the start of July!)

Did you all get the "advanced standing" and "physical" information? That was the last packet of stuff I got. :)

Kristen
:)

I have paid all my deposits and received the packet of info. concerning the physical and advanced standings. I sent them the "lender form," so I guess we are just waiting now.

I have not acquired a place of residence yet, but I am going May 21-25 to find a place. I hope there are some decent places available. I plan on meeting one of our classmates the 22. He has signed a lease on a place He thinks is pretty nice. I hope it works out. Everyone indicated that finding a place to live would be the biggest challenge, but there seem to be so many places on the web-site. Oh well, I guess I will find out later.

By the way: I AM GOING TO HAWAII APRIL 11- MAY 1. :clap: :clap:

While i am there I will be doing this :D
I am going to look like this :cool: when I come back.
Everyone is probably reading this going :rolleyes:

JJ

Just checked the mail and my financial aid letter arrived! Now that it's here I'm going to go down and talk to them about how the loans work and how to apply for the primary care loans. (hopefully the primary care loans fall in the "supplemental loan eligibility" category?)

JMJ - you're either on your way to or are in Hawii! I hope you had smooth flights and are having a good time! :)

(yes, I did :rolleyes: :laugh: )

BUMP:D

I LOVE HAWAII:love:
I am doing a whole lotta' of this :D and a little of this :eek: . What a great and beautiful place. I think I will live here one day... dreamin!

I hope my financial aid reward letter has arrived too. Gotta go the sun is calling me :cool:

JJ

thanks for the bump JMJ! (is there anyone else out there going to une this year?)

I'm glad you're having a great time in Hawii! I'm envious because it's 30 degrees in central Maine right now :rolleyes: . We had one really beautiful day when it got into the high 70's but that's come and gone and who knows when we'll see it again :confused: .

I'm sure you have a financial aid letter waiting for you! I'm going down to the campus next week to talk with them about the "additional" loans I can apply for and to find out for once and all when I can begin deferring my current loan payments (the sooner the better because I'm not making that much $ and I've been paying them every month!) I think I'll feel better after I talk to someone in person about it. :)

Enjoy the rest of your break! :cool:

(though I wish I was there too.... :rolleyes: )

Hey everyone

I will be joining you at UNE in July as well. Can't wait to meet everyone. I'm also going to differ my current loan repayment. Does anyone know when I can begin doing that. Also, I need to apply for supplemental loans as well. Does anyone recomend one of the firms mentioned in the aid packet over another. Thanks, can't wait to get all this figured out and relax before school starts:cool: I think its great someone started a thread for our school. We're all in it together!

Hi,
I have an apartment that is four minutes from campus. There are three other students that live here as well. There are 2 bedroom apartments available for $725. It is nice because it so close to school. Email me if interested and I will provide the landlords phone number.
-Tim

Wow, two new people to chat with. We are moving up Kritenoel.

MeaCulpa
I would be interested in looking at the place for rent. I will be in Maine May 21-25. There are a few things I would like to know about the place before I arrive, therefore you can PM me if you would like

Looking for:
Year round rental
laundry access or hook-ups
furnished preferably
Parking
utilities included
My own bathroom ;)

Like I said PM me with information about the amenities.

Glad to have you both with us. Can't wait to meet my new classmates.

JJ

I was wondering if any of the UNECOM students out there could describe what the daily/weekly schedule is like for 1st year students. Thanks!

Jay