UNECOM class of 2007!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:clap: Whoohooo! to all the people! For a while I felt like I was talking to myself! :laugh:

I'm headed down to UNE on Monday (if they are open) - if not I'll head down on Tuesday. Maine used to be a part of Massachutes, and thus we are the only two states in the US that have Patriot's Day off. (that works out really well when taxes are due on Patriot's day - we have an extra day to get them in!)

There was a letter sent out to unecom students saying that they are not going to be able to offer on-campus housing after all this year. It sounds like there were many people interested in the on-campus appartments so they'll be looking for appartments/houses/roommates too.

(and on that note): I'm still looking for two roommates to share a house in Kennebunk. (note: I know I look desperate every time I ramble about what a great house it is, but I'm posting about it here again before I leave a notice on the "roommates wanted" board at UNE). Quickly here are the things it's got going for it:

*3 bedrooms
*1 bathroom
*HUGE kitchen with all appliances
*new washing machine and dryer (the large full capacity ones - they are realllly nice!)
*Driveway for off street parking
*Large yard - the house is in a quiet, established neighborhood but it's close to downtown and a grocery store is a two minute walk out of the nieghborhood!
*It's 25-30 mins from UNE but only a three min drive to the beach!
*year round - and the woman who owns the house is a UNECOM graduate
*I've got some furniture that I'll bring but otherwise it's byof :)
*She is asking $1150 a month + utilties
this translates to $385 a month + 1/3 of utilties for three people.
There is possibility that a good friend of mine in another program will move in - if four of us move in (if she and I share the largest bedroom) then it'd be $288/month + 1/4 of the utilites.

I'm also curious how the first year schedule is set up and how anatomy works into it. (Can someone post in the "anatomy" thread about how it works out? there hasn't been a UNE spokesperson yet and I'm curious because it's such a long course!)

Happy Easter Everyone!
Kristen

Members don't see this ad.

I second that request...look forward to meeting you all!

also, I had an opportunity to take a huge studio for $600/mo that was 5 min from campus but I actually found a place closer and cheaper. If anyone is interested, send me a private message and I can give the name and number of the nice guy that helped me out. (this was about a month ago but it still might be available, a second year student is getting ready to move out)

Take care all!

Posted in the anatomy thread.

Basically you'll have anatomy a few times each week. Most often in 4 hour blocks. Depending on the schedule, it may be 2 lecture, 2 lab or 1 lecture, 3 lab, etc. You also have access to the lab anytime so you can adjust your schedule a bit if you need to. This year we started right at the beginning of school and finished 11/4.

As far as day-to-day schedule, classes are scheduled 8 to 5. Many days you have class 8 to 5, but not every day. Most Thursday afternoons are free for preceptorships, and the schedule varies depending upon what courses are going on at any given time. They'll send you a detailed schedule before school begins, and then change it 500 times when you start. Also, later in the year some of you will probably become good at scheduling yourselves some free time that technically should be lecture time. :)

Enjoy the summer.
-Dave, MSI

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,
It will be interesting meeting all of you on July 28th. I was hoping that some of you that who have found housing could offer some assistance. I am looking for a house/apartment for me, my boyfriend, and our dog (4 years old). I would like to find something relatively close to school and it would be great if there were some utilities included. Any suggestions on where to look, people to contact, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have tried to contact UNE Financial Aide department about meeting with someone to help me figure out how I am going to pay for this and I have not receieved a response. Anyone else working with the financial aide department at this time?

Thanks for any help offered.

:)

Mello - I pm'd you :) I'm going to talk to the fin aid department tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find out. Have you received the 'award' letter yet?

Thanks for the post in the anatomy thread Dave! Do you have today off? (Patriots day?)

Unfortunately we don't get Patriot's Day off. Only had a couple of hours of class, though.

Mello,
Contact Cathy Blair in the financial aid office at 207-283-0170 ext: 2404. She has been pretty helpful when I have called. Good Luck!
Chris

Welcome to the UNECOM family Class of 2007!

FYI - you will probably be receiving postcards within the next two weeks.

By the way, my roommate and I live in Tim's building. It is a nice place to live in.

Anna, MS1

P.S. Hey Tim, Moe, Dave, and Bostongirl!

I met with Shannon Murphy from the financial aid office - she was very helpful and friendly (though she talked a lot! :laugh: ). She called me back today to answer some of the questions she couldn't answer yesterday. I feel better about the whole loan thing and making sure I have enough money now.

for the one who asked about loans and differement:
I found out that I can't defer loans until school actually starts so I've filed the paperwork for forbarance on my student loans - it's a request to suspend payments for a certain period of time (up to a year) due to financial hardship. At this point I'm breaking even but my loan payments are taking a chunk of money every month and I want to start saving that up for the first month of rent and other unexpected costs. I'm in good standing with the loans and will hopefully hear good news from them this week.

I also filled out the "roommate survey" sheet and took care of some other paperwork - I'm glad it's all taken care of now. :)

Hi!

I found out that I have been accepted to UNE today. And, I will be joining all of you at the end of July!

I am so excited to meet all of you! Even though we are going to work like dogs, I know that we are going to have a tremedous ammount of fun together!

Are there any Holy Cross alumni in our class? I am class of 1996.

Also, are there any Harvard Extension post bac people out there? I was in "The Program" circa Fall 1999 on and off through Summer 2002.

congratulations! I'm also starting this July...I'm in Cambridge (Kendal Square). I took a few classes via HES (but many years ago). Finished all my pre-requs at UMass.

Take care!

This thread seems to be gaining popularity. Congratulations to all new acceptees. I am looking forward to meeting you all. Until then, I am living it up in MAUI:cool: .

Best Wishes ALL!

JJ

Just wanted to find out if anyone knows where they will be living yet. Anyone going to live in Portland? My boyfriend and I found a complex of new townhouses in S.Portland that will be avail around June/July. I just hope the commute isn't too bad!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an MS-2 at UNECOM and I "commute" everyday from Portland. It's really not a big deal, although it takes me 30-35 min to get to and from school everyday and I can see how living closer and having that extra hour can be beneficial - if you use it. Most people I know chill for an hour or so anyway after they get home from school before they start to study. I relax in the car on the way home, and by the time I get there I'm ready to go, so I don't notice the missing hour. Plus, whenever I want to do something fun it's only 5 min from my house, instead of having to make the trek to Portland everytime I want to do something.

Greeting,
Can anyone tell me whether the school's wireless network support Macintosh laptop, greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy another laptop if I could continute to use my PowerBook. Thanks!

BTW, congradulation on all acceptees, I will meet you all in July!

huh

Huh,
Based on the information I have found on the web-site, Macintosh computers are supported by the wireless netwok on campus. I have a powerbook as well, and I love it. I am not sure how to set-up wireless netwoking but supposidly they will have some technicians there to help during the week of orientation.

JJ

yes you can use apple computers and there are technicians available during the first week to help you get your computer running.

Hey Everyone,

Do any of the classes at UNECOM require that you write a paper or are they mainly multiple choice/short anwer.

Thanks,
Jay

Breezey,
I responded to your other thread concenrning your current situation, however I am unable to find it now. (???) Have you made a decision yet?
If I can help in any way, PM me.

JJ

hey guys, I'm a third year at UNE and have some tips. First of all, don't rent a house with wood burning heat!!!! rent someplace with heat included! otherwise it can get soooo expensive!! My first year I lived on Hills Beach Rd. and never got to go to the beach and became bitter about my high rent and expenses to live close to the beach but far from stores, etc... It became stressful just to go to the grocery store or walmart. My second year I lived in town, much cheaper, much nicer, heat included!! and to answer someone's question... there is very little "paper" writing at UNE. A few History and Physical write ups, etc... But you don't really even need to own a laptop at all. Hope that helps, I am barely ever on here so don't flood me with lots of questions because I probably won't get back to you! sorry! Good luck to you all! You're in for a challenging year!!

I got the postcard that was mentioned before - has anyone else?

The postcard and other people at UNE told me a whole bunch of paperwork was going to be sent out - I haven't seen any of it yet! I'm waiting to get another copy of my financial aid letter too - I applied for another loan.

JMJ - are you back from Hawii yet? (I'm going to guess yes, but haven't seen a post saying that you aren't :cool: anymore! :laugh: )

EJS - where are you this year? Were you able to stay in Maine, or are you at the Berkshires site? I'm curious about how you feel about the rotation sites and if you like where you are!

Kritenoel,
Yes, I am an back from HAWAII:mad: ! I think it will take me a good six months to get over that trip. I loved it there:love: . Maui was much better than Oahu, but the whether and scenery were absolutely amazing on both islands. peral Harbor was pretty amazing as well. I was there to watch the USS Abraham Lincoln port... that was very cool. I was a sun worshiper the whole time... using plenty of sunscreen though. I was in the sun looking like :cool: and :D .

Like you, i received the post card from the orientation staff, as well as my award letter. I will be visiting later this month to find a place to live and to speak with kathy Blair concerning my award. You mentioned you spoke with her already. Will you elaborate on any bright ideas you had concerning saving money.

After receiving the award letter, I began to realize i will be ~ 225K in the red after leaving UNE :oops: . That's alot! Oh well, let the good times roll. Had any luck finding a roomate?

I haven't been to Hawii yet but I enjoyed the time I spent in the Bahamas a few years ago! :cool:

I spoke with Shannon Miller in the financial aid office - she was helpful and called me with an answer to one of my questions and emailed me the additional information I needed. She talks a lot, but was helpful!

I created a spreadsheet with my projected expenses for each month and figured out what it would cost me for a semester and a year (things like rent, food, car costs, etc) and included a "buffer" so I'd have a "worst case scenairo" budget. With a slightly inflated living expenses budget and tuition and everything else for the first year (I'm going to buy a laptop once the loan $ comes in) I figure I'll need $48,000 for the first year.

(That still leaves me with something like $7,000 that I can "tap into" in alternate loans, though that might change because I applied for some additional loans. (hence why I'm waiting for another, updated award letter.))

The roommate thing is worked out for a year - thanks for asking! :)

When are you coming up? Do you have a list of places to look at?

Ahhh! the crystal blue waters of the carribean. I went to the Bahamas last "Spring Break," and I really enjoyed it there as well.

I will be arriving in the Biddeford area May 21. I will be leaving the 25, therefore I have a few short days to find a year round rental. I spoke with a real estate agent in the area, and he has a few places to show me. Although, he did mention that by the end of this month most of his rentals would be occupied. I am hoping he will have at least one decent place left when i arrive.

I am having a difficult time getting in touch with individuals from the UNE housing web-site. It would seem they don't like email. Oh well, I will keep trying.

Best Wishes
JJ

I'm debating whether not to live on campus. I'd prefer to live off campus, but I won't have a car.

How's the public transportation system in Biddeford? Would it be feasible/practical to commute to school everyday on the bus? Your answers would be much appreciated. :)

I just wanted to say hi too all of my new classmates. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Does anyone need a roommate and to find a place to live? I am willing to drive up to Maine to llok for a place.

Well, enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Jackie

Britty,
It is with great joy that I welcome you to the UNECOM CLASS OF 2007! I hope you will feel free to ask any questions you may have. There isn't a great deal of activity in this forum, but we should all receive emails when someone posts. I too am eager to meet my new classmates. Again, welcome and best wishes. :D

JJ

Khal Kama,

There is no public transportation system in Biddeford (at least none that I know of that comes out by school). I would definitely recommend to you living in walking/biking distance or on campus in the grad student housing. Something right on Hills Beach Rd would probably be best for you since you won't have a car.

Shannon

Does anyone have any suggestions for a summer reading list about Maine?

"Empire Falls" and "The Beans of Egypt Maine" seem like good places to start.

Can you think of anything else?

Hi everyone, its been a while since I've posted here. Just wanted to check how everyone is doing. I dont think I've formally introduced myself, esp since I hardly come in here. But now that school is almost starting, I'll try to come in more often. Anyway, my name is Ivy. I, too, am excited about starting school. I can't beleive i just said that. =) I took a year break from school, so maybe that's why I'm lookin forward to it.

Anyway, how's everyone doing with finding housing? I think I may be the only with no housing yet:rolleyes: My fiance and I are currently looking to buying a townhouse, but since we're here in Jersey, its kinda hard to meet with realtors and stuff. Hopefully, I still have enough time.

Anyway, that's about it. Oh, I have a question. Is it required for everyone to have a laptop?

It is not required to have a laptop, it is only "required" so that programs like the army and NHSC will get them paid for. Any writing you need to do could be easily done on a desktop at home or in the computer lab at the school.

For the guy without a car, just buy one! it's rediculous to think of living there without one. Are you going to bike 6 miles to the grocery store?? Maine car insurance is probably pretty darn cheap.

Stillfocused - do you want books that take place in Maine? or books about Maine?

"The Beans Of Egypt Maine" is on a few banned book lists - it does take place in Maine, but please don't get the idea that that's what us Maine folk are like! I'm racking my brain (and my bookshelves) to see if I can find other books that take place in Maine - I know I've read a few, but coming up with titles right now is harder then I expected.

(this is what I came up with off the top of my head - there are others, I will post them after I've collected the titles! ;) :) )

E.B.White is a ME author, as is S. King - there are aspects of their books that tie in life in Maine. Robert McClousky (that last name could be spelled wrong...) is a children's author who wrote a book called "A Morning in Maine" (amoung others). Barbara Cooney (also a kids author) wrote a few books that are said to be based on the landscapes of Maine.

Originally posted by Kritenoel
"The Beans Of Egypt Maine" is on a few banned book lists - it does take place in Maine, but please don't get the idea that that's what us Maine folk are like!

The area that my ambulance covers includes a poor Maine town on the NH border. Get ready, you will be doing H+P's on "Beans" in the near future. They are nice people usually, but the degree of poverty is stunning.

(Sorry to barge in to this thread; I'm applying June 1 to UNECOM though!)

well well well timmy, i haven't checked the sdn boards in awhile and you finally come out and give your name. i knew you would slip up sooner or later. i told you i would stop at nothing to find out your user name and now i've got you right where i want you. lemme take you back to a bball game last semester- it was in overtime and you had 4 fouls, one more and you were out, little did the other team know or even expect the fantastic barrage of three points that was about to come-served up by yours truly.

johnthestreak

still the best

Yeah, I'm confused! :(

Where the TITANS dwell!

JJ:cool:

The oilers, Fageta' abot' it! I noticed you were from houston. Yeah, good luck with that. :D

hey, maybe you can help. Can you tell me what to look for in a good lender.

JJ :cool:

Howdy All,

I've recently found out that I'll be joinin' the class of 2007, at UNECOM.
Hey if anyone is looking for a housemate, please keep me posted.
I have to head out of the country June 15th till July 23rd and its going to be real tough for me to get housing squared away before then.
I'm headed up there this weekend (Mem. Day Weekend). So if you need or know anyone that may need please pass this info along. Mad props to those that help me out.
Rowdy.
:cool:

Hey there, congrats!!! I'll be in Maine this memorial weekend as well.. I'll be looking around for housing too...well good luck!!!

Hi there,

I just wanted to say congrats. on you acceptances. I interviewed at UNECOM in Oct. and was accepted about 1 week later. I was so excited and I really loved the school and the area. I had a hard time deciding where I wanted to go. The Maine area was breath taking and the history there is amazing. I was able to vist some lighthouses and drive along the coast both of which were spectacular. I know that you will enjoy your time at UNECOM. I am going to attemd AZCOM. Good luck and enjoy.

As for the Beans of Egypt Maine - I wasn't refering to the poverty, I was refering to the incest. Maine, like most of the other states I've visited and gone to school in, has a very high level of poverty, especially in the nothern sections that rely on mill work and logging. There is a phrase "the county" that refers to the northern-most county - it's known to be a rural area with hard working but most often poor people. That's why I'm already curious about where the ahec rotations are - I think it'll be a great experience.

Sounds like a whole bunch of you will be up this weekend - I hope the weather stay good and you have luck finding places to live/roommates. I've started the process of getting the lease paperwork drawn up (it's been several rounds of telephone tag at this point but I expect I'll talk to a person sometime today!).

I vowed not to post again until I was no longer the number one poster - c'mon guys, keep posting! :laugh:

Kristen

JJ: When I was looking for a lender I just read what each one had to offer and compared the benfits. I chose the one that had the most and/or the best perks. I'm sorry that I can't get more specific - at the moment, I don't even remember which lender I picked.

John: This is what I was talking about. You have got to stop harrassing people! JK. :p

Yey! We (the MS1s) are done with classes and have only one exam (derm) left before the end of our first year...I can't believe how fast the year has flown by!

Well, back to studying dermatology.

Good luck to all of you that are apt/house hunting this weekend!

Anna

I am asking about books that take place in Maine that convey a sense of place and culture.

Books that might give me heads up on being careful about guzzling coffee at church socials..........

Oy! - low blow stillfocused! The arsenic incident has been in the newpaper and has had a lot of news coverage - it's a strange story and something that one would never imagine happening! (The town of New Sweden is a tiny town in northern Maine).

Anita Shreve's books take place in Maine - but most of the books I have don't talk about the "culture" per se. If you look up Tim Sample you'll find a "Maine Humor" perspective.

Mainers are unique - I can't explain how without stepping on toes but you'll see. People from "away" are viewed differently as opposed to people who are "natives" but we all get along. :) You'll see.

I'm still scouring my shelves for books that capture Maine - I've got emails out to people who might have better suggestions. I'll let you know!

I got my certified letter in the mail today---I'll be there in August! Such a long process to finally end up at a school I am truly thrilled with. Now I have to get all the logistics in order.

Till the ball gets rolling....

Dagny

Stillfocused and kritenoel,
Yeah, Beans of Egypt is pretty right on the money. For the past six years ( and for only 12 more days :clap: ) I have been working as an artificial insemination technician for dairy cattle in Waldo County, Maine. I've known alot of farmers and woodcutters; that is to say a lot of "Beans". That book shows them as people who have nothing, but will give you anything, and that is pretty true.
There is probably some incest, but not as much as the reputation would imply. And there is alot of deer "jacking", but it almost always goes to good use.
Other good books would be George Magoon and the Downeast Game Wars, Potatos Without Gravy by Hants White, Dag Balm and Duct Tape (it's really set in Vermont, but there are alot of similarities), the Salt Book, and Empire Falls (I don't think it is set in Maine, but in some generic Mill town that has lost its mill business, like nearly every town in Maine).
Hope this helps. It probably won't. My experience is that Mainers are very hard to "pigeon hole". Coastal people are alot different from those inland, and Aroostook County residents are nothing like any other Mainers.
Don't worry; you're gonna like it. Oh, do you speak French?

Oh, I mean its just like "Murder She Wrote".:rolleyes:
Chris

Congrats Dagny79! :clap:

"Bag Balm and Duct Tape" is a great book - I second that recomendation. The other books I've thought of are books that take place here - Gerry Boyle is a great author (who lives near here) and his books give a good sense of "place" but aren't so much about the people. I enjoyed "Cider House Rules" because of the parts about Maine people - but it's from a different time.
There's a book called "Maine Speaks" - it's an anthology of lots of differnet aspects of the state and has a variety of writing types and authors. (it has a great essay on the history of the ice cutting from the Kennebec River)

I completely agree with MeChris72 about the different parts of the state - the coastal towns/lobstermen are a different group from the inlanders/potato farmers. I've noticed that parts of southern Maine (Portland for instance) have a HUGE cross section from the people who have more then enough and the ones who are just getting by. Most of the people I know who have moved here are the ones doing just fine financially, and they have had no problem finding places to live and open communities. Aside from UNE there are three colleges - Colby, Bates, Bowdion and - as well as the UMaine system are attract college kids to the state. (they are evident by the out of state license plate and the appropriate college stickers...at this point most of them can be seen driving their packed cars down the interstate...)

I'm curious what people from other states who are currently at UNE think about the people - I found that I gained a lot of perspective on this state after I left it and did work/school other places. Anyone have anything to add about what it's like to come in as an "outsider?"

MeChris72 - I don't disagree that the Beans exist - I just didn't want the original poster to show up thinking that everyone in the state was a product of incest or poverty. I know they exist - I went to high school with a few of them, am teaching several of them and I considered taking a job in Lubec to work with people.

(whoa, this is a long post. Sorry everyone!)