UNECOM class of 2007!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I moved here from the Mid-west and have the "outsider's perspective", but am slowly losing it as the longer I live here, the less weird people seem.

My Top Ten Weird Things About Maine

1) All the Mainers love it here.
In my state, people dream of living in other places. Most people think the state is boring, their hometown sucks, and can't wait to "get outta this place". In Maine, people have been here for generations, and nobody wishes they lived somewhere else. There's alot of state pride that I haven't seen anywhere else that I've been.

2) People are nice.
They are, although they may deny this point. I lost my wallet in an alley near Longfellow Square, and it was returned to me. I was short $30 at the BMV, and some lady offered to loan it to me. I had a flat tire, pulled into a gas station, and some dude who was weed-whacking helped me change my tire and refused any money or even a cold drink for his help. In my experience, so far, people don't look the other way with a "it's not my problem" attitude like they do where I'm from.

3) They think YOU have the accent
They know the accent exists, but yours is way thicker and they smell a non-Mainer from a mile away. When I first moved here, everyone was always asking where I am from. Within the first two minutes of talking, more than half of the patients I had at the hospital I worked at would ask where I was from. I thought it was just the friendly thing, but then I was informed by my co-workers that it's because of how I talk.

4) They don't like it when you make fun of Maine.
If you dont' like it, leave. Maine is still quirky and little to me, and sometimes I laugh at little things like having to drive 25 miles if I want Taco Bell, and nobody else thinks it's as amusing as I do. They don't wish they were "big city", and will defend things like how having a "marsh view" can increase a home's worth, or the smell of low tide.

5) You'll never be a true Mainer if you or your parents were "from Away"
No matter how long I live here, I'll always be a "flatlander". A friend of mine was born here, but his parents were born in MA, and he is considered "from away".

6) The state dynamics are funny.
They make fun of French Canadians, people from New Hampshire, and Massachussetts drivers (aka "Massholes").

7) Kids from Northern Maine look like big city punks
They wear baggy pants hanging low, bandanas, and some even talk like "gangstas". I saw more kids with dreadlocks in Bangor than I have the entire time I've lived in Portland.

8) There's alot of homeless people
I see a homeless person EVERY DAY. Whether I'm in Biddeford, Saco, or Portland, I've never gone a day without seeing one, and I usually see more than that. It's really sad.

9) There's a large economic gap within a block or two.
There's expensive, beautiful brownstone-like apartments only a block away from the roach-motel looking places. You can walk two blocks, and the whole look of the place changes.

10) I know where everyone works.
Even in a big city, you know who the lady at Rite Aid is. You see her everytime you go in there, but in your world, she only exists at Rite Aid. You never see her anywhere else. In Maine, you'll see her everywhere. Bars, restaurants, the grocery store - I feel like I recognize everyone everywhere. This is probably more a small town thing than a Maine thing, but if I feel like this is Portland, which is the biggest city in Maine, imagine the other places!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully a current med student can answer this for me-I was wondering how much patient contact we get during our first year. For example, do we have any scheduled preceptorships, or do we have to scout out our own opportunities? Thanks!

Hey all,
I returned from Maine today (Sunday) and was really excited about the area. I didn't have alot of time during the interview process to look around, however I discovered I absolutely love it in Maine, although it rained the entire time.
I found a great place to live five miles from school. Just a-tip. If you have not acquired housing yet, you better get-on-the-move. Slim pickins' if ya' know what I mean (yeah, down south!;) ).

PedsDO: I do believe we had lunch together Friday. Thanks again for all the imput. You and Jackie both provided a great deal of information I found to be helpful. Hope you didn't party too hard after the exam. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

JJ
:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have a preceptorship about once a month in 1st year, and about twice a month in 2nd year. They are set up by the school. The school can also set up extra ones for you if you request them. You could do one or more a week the whole time you're here if you want to (but you probably won't have the time). The preceptorships aren't always distributed that evenly though, you might have 3 in November, 2 in January, then none till April, etc. Mine were pretty spread out though.

Hi all,

Ok Im back from my trip to maine and My fiance and I bought a house. I'm so excited. They should finish building by July 25, which is just in time!!! I'll be living in Saco, which is about 15 min to school.. not too bad..

We also looked around the area.. and loved it!!!

I'm soooo excited!!!!

Just a question... when are we suppose to get a schedule of our classes?

~Ivy

DrCIVSB,
I spoke with a couple of individuals on the orientation commitee this past weekend. They indicated that the orientation packets, which includes a variety of information, would be sent our sometime next week. I spoke with financial aid too. Mrs. Blair indicated she would begin processing loans in about two weeks. Hope this helps. Congrats on the house!

Best Wishes,
JJ

I got said packet and have been going through it - I haven't seen anything on a schedule of classes but I have a year schedule from a mailing a while back. The latest mailing has A LOT of stuff in it! (my other questions will make sense once you've gotten it - I'll hold off :) )

I'm glad you had a good weekend JMJ! and I'm glad you all like what you've seen of Maine!

Thanks for the posts Doc Oc - you have eloquently and simply passed along the info and your thoughts - I enjoy reading your advice! (random question - were you a part of med trek last fall?)

I'm off to the doctors - I had the titers drawn after my physical and I don't have enough immunity to mumps. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll need the booster and then (I think?) another titer. They are still waiting to hear about the varicella too - they had to send it off to a lab to be processed and I need to have my tb test read.

Hello,
As I am trying to get everything in order for school I am having a difficult time picking an alternative loan. Anyone else in need of taking out stafford and supplemental loans? Are you planning on taking out the max amount suggested on your award letter? Is it beneficial to use the same lender for the stafford and supplemental loans? Thanks for any assistance offered.

Look forward to meeting all of you in July.

Mello,
I will be utilizing the maximum amount of loan monies. This includes supplemetal loans. Mrs. Blair-Enman suggested four lenders to me:
National Education
Educations Health Solutions
Total Higher Education
Access Group

She recommneded using the same lender for all loans. in my opinion, it's easier that way.

Best Wishes,
JJ

I agree with the previous post regarding the loans. I figured since I really dont know how my expenses would be for the first year, I might as well take out the max that I can. Then my second year, I would have a better idea of how much I'll need. hope that helps...

IVY

More ?????????????

Is there a gym on campus? And if so, how is it?

If there is no campus gym, are there any gyms close by?

Thanks in advance.:)

Yes, there is a gym on campus. It is ok---definitiely could be better. There are a bunch of bikes, stairmasters, and we just got a couple elliptical machines, and of course there are weights. To my dismay there are no treadmills! But there is an indoor track which many of us who don't enjoy running outside when it is 5 below use. The gym is free for students and pretty cheap for family members I think. If you are looking for something better there is a Gold's gym in town that gives a discount to students.

Hope this helps!

Shannon
UNECOM 2006

In my opinion, the gym is adequate. I have explored the facility twice now, and I believe you would be able to accomplish any physical goals you set for yourself in UNE's gym. Like the previous poster mentioned, there are free weights, a running track, basketball courts, racketball courts, and a swimming pool. Plenty of room too! If you can't get it done in their, you probably aren't tryin' hard enough. ;)

JJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Did anyone else get the packet sent by the school? Can someone let me know which medical equipments you are buying? I'm not too sure what the differences are so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ivy

DRCIVSB,
I purchased the equipment which gave the $50 discount. It turned out to be $805.50 for everything. This includes the PanOptic Opthmaloscope Diagnostic set w/coaxial Opthmaloscope for extra $25 (includes otoscope), Stethoscope (Harvey DLX), Sphygmomanometer (Tyco TR1 hand aneroid), tuning fork, and reflex hammer. I believe this is the high quality expensice stuff, but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Like they said, it is an investment, get what you like. Hope this helps.

JJ

Hi guys!

I was in Biddeford/Saco last weekend checking out 2 bedroom apartments and have info/pictures/phone numbers for several available apts. I can pass the info to anyone interested, you can pm me with your request.

Good luck to all of you that are looking for a place! I'm excited to meet everyone. When are you moving?

Oh, anyone moving from CA?

Sang

I emailed my orientation leader to get his advice for what to get/what we don't need - for future reference we only need ONE tuning fork (though they made it plural on the list :laugh: )

I think I'm going to get the Welch-Allyn bp family practice kit and otoscope (get $30 off if I get both of them) and a Littmann Cardio III stethescope (from steeles.com - best price and it comes with a "student's kit").

I sent everything back in - the peach color form and the form for the FOD class. I heard back from the fin aid office (that's finally all figured out) and once I get the loan money I'll be able to go and get a laptop. I'm hoping to move in during the first week of July - and I've lined up some extra work as a lifeguard so I'll be busy for the next few weeks.

(random note: I've also found the rabbit I want to adopt through the Kennebunk Animal Welfare Society - I just hope he's still there in a few weeks! :laugh: (if he's not I'll be happy he's found a home, but if not I'd like to be able to go and get him! His name is Marvin ;) ))

The book you should all read before arriving: Arundel by Kenneth Roberts. A good history of the area you will be living in.

Avoid: spending more than $500 a month on rent (anywhere), living on campus (will not be offered to you in 2003-2004), UNE's own police force: Biddo Vice (they LOVE to give out tickets that go right on to your account, no questions asked), buying unnecessary medical equiptment

Do: excercise (shoot hoops at the gym), study hard then play hard after exams. buy a car! it's actually a requirement for preceptor travel. confide with a 2nd year student, they will tell and advise all you need to know.

Seriously, don't spend too much on a diagnostic set. Get some good ears, but look to eBay or an MS-II for your otoscope, etc. For example, a cheap bp cuff from AllHeart.com will be just fine to learn with.

Dr. Rovner, did you really like Derm that much?

Hey All ,

Someone that is looking for housing for this coming year, there's room for one more in a four person house that myself and two other MSI's are renting. Here's the skinny on the place:

+4400 sq ft of a 3yr old house 2 blocks from Goose Rocks beach

+The house sits on a 1 acre lot off a dirt road, flat lawn, bright green grass & white birch trees spattered around the yard & perimeter.

+Large driveway for 5+ cars.

+The place is fully furnished and includes dishes, pots, pans, utensils, silverware..., furniture, tables/chairs, TV...

+There's washer/dryer, dishwasher...

+The place is very quiet, bright colors and has tile and hardwood floors through out the house. There's a back patio/deck w/ a grill.

+5 bedrooms, one will be a guest room. One car garage w/
storage above the garage.

+4.5 miles from school

+Its a seasonal Sept 1 move in till June 15th.

+Rent is 400ea/mo.+utilities (oil heat that has zone control in the house)

We're three MSI's that are easy going. We're all from different parts of the country (Mass, Alaska & Pittsburgh). We've definetly come to the conclusion that we're clean but not anal about it and will keep the place tidy w/ out problems.
If this sounds good with you, reply to me directly at [email protected]
Thanks,
JAJ

Another housing option from a fellow MS1:

3 bdrm fully furnished house on hills beach rd, lots of windows, upstairs and downstairs deck, about five minute walk to campus. lease sept 1-june 1. will be 500/month (plus utilities). non-smokers only.

pm me or call at 207 450 8820

I think it's awesome how everyone is helping each other out and answering questions, but seriously people, we've all overlooked the big question...can you get the Redsox games on TV or radio up there. I don't mind expressing what i'm sure has been lingering in the back of everyon'e mind. I know, i know, just because i'm from New Jersey doesn't mean i wear the pinstripes. This is our year. ;)
Jay

House Hunters:

1st: Wells Beach is not 5 minutes from school and cannot be walked, well, that fast. Check your info.

2nd: Snoop Dogg will be in the class of 2007. He plans on specializing in Pimpin'. Sha-zizzle.

3rd: Live as close to campus as possible. Most roads are single lanes, and most in Maine obey the speed limits. Biddo Vice will hit you up for going 33mph in a 30mph zone. Winter driving is hazardous.

4th: Spend no more than $500/month on rent.

5th: Wait to buy books. Go to class a few times, then decide. Take the time to see which ones YOU like best.

6th: All Boston sporting events shown. Even live AA action with the Red Sox farm team: Portland Sea Dogs. Fun to watch.

7th: Rest and Play.

sunburns are bad,
dr. rovner

whoops, i meant hills beach. does that make more sense, dr rovner? sorry about the confusion. as far as housing costs, anything i saw in the 4-500 range was a dive.... this house is far nicer than anything else i saw for the same money so if anybody is still looking, call me about it.

see y'all soon.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone "commuting" from Portland to school this year? My boyfriend and I rented a really nice townhouse in S.Portland. The drive is about 25-30 mins to school but I don't think it will be too bad.

Fra' shizzle my dizzle.
This year will most certainly be the year to imp some of your pimp'. Snoop in the house.
Yeah, and we'll have to get to a Soxs game or two.
I'm outtie,
JAJ

:cool:

I am glad there is someone else with the same sentiment. :laugh:

JJ

Hi everyone-

I am currently in the Boston area. I have talked to a few people who also live in Boston. If anyone else out there is in the area, my soon to be roomie and I are trying to get a bunch of us together for drinks or lunch or something. We were thinking maybe on Thurs night, or Sat for lunch. Is anyone in the area, and are these good times for anyone? Let me know!!!!! I hope to meet many of you soon.

Jackie

I just recieved my acceptance for fall. I had completely lost hope. I am seriously stoked and stressed. I have to move from Arizona to Maine in a month, sell a house, sell 2 cars, and find a place to live, plus get my crap together for classes. I need some serious help, so if anyone can offer suggestions, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!.. Thanks

hey man, try the grass.

and avoid sunburns.

Congrats on the acceptance. Best wishes concerning your move. That will be stressful!

JJ

JMJ, dude whats up? Havent talked to you in a long while.

Incoming first years, listen to your elders!!! The adivce they are giving you on housing and medical equipment is sound!!

Mistakes I made, learn from them!

1) paying more money to live on hill's beach road and not moving in until after labor day! you'll probably have an exam the next week and who really wants to live in a hotel room for a month!

2) spending like $100 on a BP cuff! Why on earth am I ever going to need such an expensive one in the next 7 years? Am I going to make house calls as a resident? I don't think so! The hospital has them for rotations.

3) not getting a lipman cardiology III right off the bat, with my other scope I got with the "deal" I couldn't hear a thing.

4) not buying at least the atlas and dissection guide and major book for anatomy the FIRST day of school, or even before. One day behind is a big deal here!

that's all I can think of right off the bat. a tip for those of you considering missions rotations or work in the future. When you purchase your opthalmoscope get the one with the old-style metal handle, you can use batteries in it instead of charging when you might not exactly have an outlet in the field!

More Advice from your elders...

A) Buy a good stethoscope, you'll have it forever. Hold off on other scopes.

B) Live, sleep and think Anatomy...as mentioned, don't fall behind.

C) Don't spend more than $500/month per person on rent. Anywhere. Period.

D) Use AT&T as your cell phone carrier. All others have problems in Biddo, trust me, I had 4 cell accounts when school started for a month.

E) Laptops are not necessary.

F) Use SPF 30. always.

How about more advice for an imcoming MS1!

I am really holding off on buying a laptop because I have a computer at home that works just fine. However, the school says that the laptops are mandatory. Is that true? I'd rather not get one unless it is really needed.

Also, do we need the Oto/Optho scopes for first year or not until 3rd/4th year?

Any more advice from MSII's would be great!

Thanks guys!

You don't need a laptop. Some people type notes on them, others follow along on the powerpoints that get emailed to us before some lectures, but honestly most people who bring them to class just surf the internet and IM eachother during class. Not having a computer period would be a pain in the ass, but if you already have a PC at home, there's really no reason to get a laptop. They "require" alot of things that aren't actually necessary so that people with scholarships (esp military) can get them paid for with their funds.

You do need the ophthalmoscope/otoscope, but you don't need an expensive one. You'll need it for some preceptorships, and for learning your physical exam skills.

Echoes:
1) Get a good stethoscope.

2) Listen to people when they talk about rent. There ARE decent places to live for under $500 a person. There are also lots of slumlords who will try to rip you off. If you are having trouble finding a place for a decent price, consider the source.

3) Don't buy books till you get here.

Good luck to you all!

Doc Oc
UNECOM Class of 2005

Tips for MSI's

1. Buy "high yield" books used ASAP (Netter, Rohen, Chung, etc)
You'll want a gross atlas to use the first day in class.
2. Look on eBay or to a MS-II for used diagnotic equipment
3. Buy a good stethoscope AND A NAME TAG FOR IT
4. Study hard right out of the blocks DO NOT GET BEHIND!!!!!
5. Be your own student. Just because an MS-II tells you how to study, you don't have to do that; make sure you do what works for you.
6. You will NOT have time to enjoy a beach house your first-year. Save the money for a good one next year.
7. Electric heat in Maine = bad; Off-street parking in winter = good.
8. Do not be overwhelmed by Orientation. There is a ton of material thrown at you. Sometimes there is a tendency for MS-I+'s to get "over helpful".
9. Look for classmates living in the same apt building, as many landlords only rent to students. Share books & supplies when handy.
10. Have an "outlet" for your stress. Basketball, exercise and video games work great for some people.
11. Study hard. Be a "gunner". You'll wish you had when you decide that you LOVE dermatology your third year.
12. Be nice to your Fellows.
13. Ask questions.

DISCLAIMER: THESE TIPS REPRESENT MY OPINION ONLY. JUST BECAUSE I'M RIGHT 99% OF THE TIME DOESN'T MEAN THIS IS GOSPEL. I ALSO FIND SPELLING DIFFICULT SOMETIMES.

hello to all! I'm pretty new to the forum (long time reader). Anyways, i just found out I was accepted, so wanted to say hi. Anyone still looking for a roomie or know of a place? I quiet and clean, and probably will be in the library studying all the time. Quite excited to start, but now must finish my thesis (i'm a grad student, just about done), so he stress is on. See you guys in a month.:D

congratulations!...see you soon at orientation

I am wondering how much you guys were awarded from federal on your loans and how much you needed to do private. I am a little worrried because my wife and I made almost $30,000 last year but our income will be significantly different living in maine. I know though that your award is based on what you made the previous year. Was the $53,000 that was the max all governemnent loans or was some of it from private lenders. Also after your award letter how long did it take to get a private loan? Any further info such as when do you recieve your money, monthly or in one lump sum?

Here's the scoop on Financial Aid...

You should get your disbursement approx 1 wk before school begins. Make sure your FAFSA and alternative loan apps are completed. You should expect to get your $$ sometime during the 1st few weeks of school. Remember, you get more money in the spring than the fall because the Health Insurance fee is taken out in the fall and not in the spring. For next year, it's $1522/yr and that fee is waived if you can show proof of comparable insurance.

Our maximum financial aid award for 3rd years looks like this. It's similar to what you would expect to get. I think you guys may get a little bit more 'cause there is allocation for a laptop (which you do not need...if you have a working desktop you'll be fine).

This is the fall breakdown:

Subsidizied Federal Stafford: $4122.50
Unsubsidized Federal Stafford: $15627.67
Alternative Loan: $4984.65

Of course, you would add any scholarships you get and your personal contribution. My income was similar to yours before I started, but I took the max for 1st year. Remember, you can return the money if you don't use it all or just save it for the spring and take less out the next time around.

You should get all the money in one lump sum unless there is some unexpected problems with your loans...rarely happens. Getting $10K at once is very nice...

P.S: Don't join every club during orientation. Save yourself some money. You can always join later and pick out what you want to be a part of.

Hope this helps.

Hi!

I need MSI and MSII help!

I'm looking through a list of required diagnostic equipment and am thinking of buying it online instead of through Sparr's, the company adverstised in our packet.

What features of the ophthalmoscope, otoscope, sphygmomanometer are most useful? Can I just get away with buying a basic set? Will I need these tools after my second year? (I figure these are tools usually provided for at hospitals and clinics.) Also do I need these by the time school start or can I wait?

Thanks for your help!

Sang

The basic equipment will work just fine. If you get your otoscope somewhere else, see if the disposable ear cannulas are the same as the ones you get from Sparr's. If they aren't, you might want to get a few extra. If they are the same, then the school will always have extra for you and you don't need to buy them.

You should try to get it before school or within the first two weeks. You will need it for your physical exam class.

I'm nervous b/c I was only accepted about 2 weeks ago and am trying to get everything done. They sent the immunization stuff and health questionaire, but I did'nt recieve it. I was able to print off a 2 page immunixation form, 1 page immuno cover letter, and the 3 page questionairre( including physical page). Is this all I need? Is it true they won't let you register if you don't get this info back in time?

Hi folks,
Does any one have or know a room that I can sublet for the month of July and August? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, and see you all in Orientation!

cheers,
huh

Hi guys,
Can anyone recommend a good diagnostic kit? Should I get the 3.5V kit instead the 2.5V? Does it really matter? Thanks a lot for any input.

huh

Call the school to see if those forms are all you need.

Make copies of EVERYTHING you turn in, they lose things sometimes.

3.5V or 2.5V...don't think it matters, look on the recommendations sheet for medical equipment and see if it specifies. If it doesn't, then don't worry about it.

Yes, they will let you register. I have classmates who didn't get all their immunization/physical exam crap in until nearly 2nd year! Of course, the office was on their ass about it all year, but it'll take alot more than missing forms to make them not want your $31K anymore. I'm not recommending you slack off, but don't fear being kicked out or a late start because of forms.

Good luck to you all!

Doc Oc
UNECOM Class of 2005