UNECOM class of 2007!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a future UNECOM class of 2007 student who is making the drive from Alaska leaving this Saturday the 12th of July. I am a little nervous about the month of August because I don't have housing and I don't see myself making the commute from Anchorage. I am wondering if this is typical to not have housing for August-and if I will be able to find something- or am I about to sleep out on the beach for the first month of medical school? If anyone has some idea or needs a temporary housemate please be in touch...other than that greatly looking forward to meeting you all, and climbing the Tetons on the way over. Phillip Weidner

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Phil,
I think I did your interview tour.
Good to see you are coming to school here at UNE.
I know of a few people who had to wait until August, due to beach rentals, and they stayed at local motels.

Hey phil,

There is a nice place I almost rented for $700 a month. It needs a little TLC, but they have remodeled a lot of it. If you are going to wait there are some nice motels you can stay in and there are some storage units on Industrial park you could use. The guy that helped me out and many other students is Ben Poirier, he was very helpful. His contact info is phone: 207-283-0108 and e-mail is: [email protected]. Let me know if you need any more help.

Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't mind living in South Portland (which is only a 25 min drive to school-all highway) there are brand new townhouses still being rented. my rent is 895+ which with a roommate is only 450 plus utils. Really nice, extremely Quiet! if you are interested let me know and I can give you the rental phone#.

Apartments are also available at Redbank Village Apartments in South Portland. 1 bdrm goes for approx. 650, 2 bdrm approx 750-850. There's also another apartment community next door (Olde English Village) that has similar rates.

quick question about the weather: how is it up there genrally? Will i need to bring an a/c for the remainder of the summer or does it get cold up there real quick? And about diagnostic equipment, can i wait till i get there to buy it or should i order it right away?

This is my first summer up here so I can't answer how fast the change to longjohn temps will be. However, I can say that living in an old two story house with no ac and a couple of fans is very comfortable. Coming from the desert SW the humidity just about killed me the first week, then the onshore breeze kicked in and it has been really nice.
Does anybody know if UNE awards AOA or other honors status. It seems venal to be asking this when passing first year is a big enough hurdle, but a goal is worth having.

UNE does not have AOA but they do have PSA (psi sigma alpha), the national Osteopathic ACADEMIC honor society. It may have changed recently, but after the first year the status is awarded to the top 10% of the class (the calculation is based on HP/P/F and credit hours) and after the second year the next top 10% is awarded the honor. As far as I know, PSA still exists, but the formula may have changed.

There is also Sigma Sigma Phi which is a SERVICE "honor" society. Not an academic one.

There is no class rank reported in your Dean's Letter, but at graduation the top three students in the class get some recognition.

Hope that helps.

Ed,

Try to find used diagnostic equipment. Ebay might work. You'll need it fairly early, but you can always try to borrow a 2nd years equpiment if you get in a jam.

With less than a week to go, this thread sure did quiet down. I reckon we're all holding our breath.
If any of you surf and would like to get together for a pre-orientation session, PM me.
I hope everybody else has time to enjoy these last days before the grindstone comes to get us.

I'm down in that area but at this point basically internet-less :) I'm still un-packing and getting settled but I've still got a few days to finish that up!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you - see you Monday morning!

I don't know about you guys but I am definately starting to get butterflies in my stomach when I think about classes starting next week!!! I too am still getting settled and unpacked (even though I've been here since July 1st).

See all of you bright and early on Monday! :p

Hi UNECOMS....speaking of internet, do any of you know the local situation for home access? Thanks!
See you all Monday! (and some for the beach bonfire and Reggae concert Sat/Sun)

It is time warner cable which uses roadrunner. $29.99 for the first 3 months thne 44.95. Takes about a week for them to install it. Free installation and modem.

Let's talk cell phones.

One poster said AT&T has the best service for UNE. Can anyone verify this?

How's T-Mobile? I can get a great deal on T-Mobile phones right now, so I'm leaning towards it.....

Let's talk cell phones.

One poster said AT&T has the best service for UNE. Can anyone verify this?

How's T-Mobile? I can get a great deal on T-Mobile phones right now, so I'm leaning towards it.....

I had AT&T during 1st year, and was able to talk on my phone anywhere in the building, outside, and in both parking lots. A friend had Sprint, and her phone only worked by the door on the first floor. This was true of another friend who had Sprint too. During 2nd year, I switched to Verizon (the "why" in a minute), and my service was spotty, if available at all. I couldn't make any calls in the building or in the parking lots, and there are only a few spots on the lawn where it worked. I dont' know anyone who has T-Mobile, so I dont' know about their service.

As for why I switched from AT&T: My contract started on Jan 2, 2000, so you would think it would expire sometime in Jan, 2001. It expired on Dec 19, 2000. After that, I still had service, but they had me on a "month-to-month" plan, which costs 25 cents a minute. I did not get a letter about the cancellation asking me to renew or anything. Convenient for them that they raised their rates on me without telling me just before the holiday season when I presumably would be using my phone more. This happened to a few of my classmates too when it came to the end of their plans. So be careful with them, they like to change things, and they probably do send a letter, but they send so many letters about this and that credit card, frequent flyer program, home long-distance, new phones and gadgets, etc. that I probably threw away the letter because it looked like the other junk.

Doc Oc
UNECOM 2005

T-mobile doesn't work inside any buildings or houses out by the school, don't believe what they tell you, I did and am now stuck with crappy service.