UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be honest. I got a question about what I learned from a class I got a D- in 20 years ago and why I took it. Yup 20 years ago and a D- (hey, the next semester I got all Fs). I stopped, thought about it, and answered honestly. My answer revealed a lot of insecurities I had in that part of my life and why in general I didn't do well in school. But it also revealed that I grew up a lot from that experience. And it revealed maturity within myself to see my faults, my errors, and the ability to admit them. It also validated at least one of my LORs (which apparently said I was a woman of "unusual candor").

Members don't see this ad.

no really I quick look at last year's thread and at this time last year. Jan.7.05 we were at 200+ posts. Double the number we have now.

I am getting concerned about the class spirit here.. comeeee onnnn goooo UNECOM

Members don't see this ad :)
docbill, I get the feeling you and I are darn near having a private conversation here. I mean, REALLY! Let's get a list of folks that have been accepted going!!!

Shyrem
docbill

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?

Still lookin' at housing around the area, too. My husband is trying to look for cop jobs over the internet, but it's tough going. Sanford is looking pretty nice and affordable for a place to live so far.

ShyRem said:
Still lookin' at housing around the area, too. My husband is trying to look for cop jobs over the internet, but it's tough going. Sanford is looking pretty nice and affordable for a place to live so far.

ShyRem:

I didn't realize hub was on the job. Has he had previous experience, or is he looking at getting into the field?

There were a bunch of jobs that were open in the last 4-6 months incluing Old Orchard Beach, Biddeford, Sanford, two sheriff's departments (don't recall which), Portland, South Portland, etc..

Sanford has a reputation as being very affordable, but also has some very interesting sections.

I'll check the Sunday paper and see if I can find out if anyone is actively advertising right now.

Interestingly enough, at least two students spouse's have worked in the field (in the last 2-3 years) while the student was in school.

Wook

ShyRem said:

ShyRem:

Today's paper has a few openings that I see (I'm scanning the paper fast as I should be doing something else -- hmmm...maybe I'm procrastinating)...

1) Cape Elizabeth
Cape Elizabeth PUblic Safety Building
325 Ocean House Raod
Cape Elizabeth, Maine 04107
207-767-3323

2) Scarborough (Reserve Officer)
http://www.scarborough.me.us

3) Old Orchard Beach (Summer Time)
Police Complex
136 Saco Avenue
Old Orchard Beach, Maine 04064
contact Suzanne Coreau at 207-934-4911 ext. 605 or by e-mail
[email protected]

4) Portland
You may also want to check out Portland's website, because if hub can do a lateral, they may be able to expedite the process (check http://police.portlandmaine.gov/career_opportunities.htm).

5) General
You can check the following website on a semi-regular basis and see what jobs are happening (search engine)

http://mainejobs.mainetoday.com/moreoptions.html

Wook

wook said:
ShyRem:

Today's paper has a few openings that I see (I'm scanning the paper fast as I should be doing something else -- hmmm...maybe I'm procrastinating)...

1) Cape Elizabeth
325 Ocean House Raod
207-767-3323

Police Complex
136 Saco Avenue
[email protected]

4) Portland
You may also want to check out Portland's website, because if hub can do a lateral, they may be able to expedite the process (check http://police.portlandmaine.gov/career_opportunities.htm).

5) General
You can check the following website on a semi-regular basis and see what jobs are happening (search engine)

Wook

Let's try that Portland page again....

http://police.portlandmaine.gov/career_opportunities.htm

Wook

Wook, he's got 13 years experience. 10 on patrol, 3 on community advocacy program (CAP). He's also done special assignments: bike patrol, college campus police substation, forensic investigation (including 7 murders), Colt armorer, rifle instructor, active shooter instructor, FBI defensive tactics instructor. He's on the SWAT team (for 10 years now) as a sniper and explosive breacher. He's also currently on the bomb squad. Experience as a firefighter (and level I instructor) and EMTB in the past (but expired on both now - too bad, he was one of the best EMTBs I'd ever worked with). He's also taught part of every in-service for the past 8 years or so. And he is the liquor enforcement guy for our city.

I know Sarah Shepherd's husband is a cop - he went to Biddeford with very little previous experience in the field. I think he'd only been on the sheriff's dept for a year or two before they moved. And I hear the local SO out here just hired someone from Biddeford PD. But we haven't met him yet to pump him for information.

He put in a resume for a police training coordinator for the state, but hasn't heard even an acknowledgement of receipt yet.

On another note, any idea about what are the schools like out there for kids in elementary and middle school? My daughter's going to be in 6th grade, my son in 3rd.

And by "interesting sections" in Sanford do you mean 'cute/cool' interesting or 'don't walk there at night without your shotgun' interesting? Insight to affordable places to live that are safe for kids would be great!!

ShyRem said:
Wook, he's got 13 years experience. 10 on patrol, 3 on community advocacy program (CAP). He's also done special assignments: bike patrol, college campus police substation, forensic investigation (including 7 murders), Colt armorer, rifle instructor, active shooter instructor, FBI defensive tactics instructor. He's on the SWAT team (for 10 years now) as a sniper and explosive breacher. He's also currently on the bomb squad. Experience as a firefighter (and level I instructor) and EMTB in the past (but expired on both now - too bad, he was one of the best EMTBs I'd ever worked with). He's also taught part of every in-service for the past 8 years or so. And he is the liquor enforcement guy for our city.

I know Sarah Shepherd's husband is a cop - he went to Biddeford with very little previous experience in the field. I think he'd only been on the sheriff's dept for a year or two before they moved. And I hear the local SO out here just hired someone from Biddeford PD. But we haven't met him yet to pump him for information.

He put in a resume for a police training coordinator for the state, but hasn't heard even an acknowledgement of receipt yet.

On another note, any idea about what are the schools like out there for kids in elementary and middle school? My daughter's going to be in 6th grade, my son in 3rd.

And by "interesting sections" in Sanford do you mean 'cute/cool' interesting or 'don't walk there at night without your shotgun' interesting? Insight to affordable places to live that are safe for kids would be great!!

ShyRem:

Sorry, I can't speak from experience about the schools. My daughter is just starting kindegarten this year. RUMOR, though is that the school systems in Saco aren't too bad, nor Kennebunkport, nor the ones adjacent to and north and west of Portland. Portland is allegedly not too bad either, but I would defer on this question to more knowledgable posters. I live in Arundel and its lovely, but I'm hearing that schools aren't that awesome in this town.

As far as my comment on interesting sections of Sanford...Hmmmm...Shotgun is overkill, but maybe pepper spray. Again, that is only CERTAIN sections, not the whole community.

Wook

PS I did 7 years on the job. Had fun. Glad to be doing what I'm getting into now, though. Two members of the faculty have LE experience as well. PM if you'd like more details about that.

My interviewer that teaches one of the basic science courses told me that there are excellent schools in the area and had a young child in the school system. PM me if you want his email address. Maybe you interviewed with him.

I just wanted to stop in an congratulate all those accepted for the class of 2010. I'm currenlty a 3rd year at UNE and, in retrospect, really enjoyed the time I spent there. I didn't realize how well the school had prepared me until I reached rotations.
I just warn you to be prepared for long days, longer nights and plenty of stress to go round. The test come fast and furious and you will always feel like you don't know anything. But, study hard and above all be confident in your abilities and knowledge.
Like all schools, there will be things you love and things you hate about the program. Just sit tight and know that it will all be over in 2 years. The 3rd yr they leave you all alone to figure it out...like a bird that just fell out of the nest!

JJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, how is everyone? I feel like I dont even belong on this thread cause I havent even been accepted, hell, I havent even interviewed yet. I just have my heart set on UNECOM. I am excited and nervous about my interview, but I had a mock interview at my old school this weekend and talked about a lot of the problems I might face during an interview. I am still nervous though in a scared, stomach in my throat kind of way. I am thinking about back up plans if I dont get in and wondering where I will be next year. Is anyone else on here interviewing Jan. 24th? Just wondering. Here's hoping that my interview goes well and that I eventually will be able to officially call myself a member of the class of 2010.

ShyRem said:
docbill, I get the feeling you and I are darn near having a private conversation here. I mean, REALLY! Let's get a list of folks that have been accepted going!!!

Shyrem
docbill

ShyRem and Docbill,

Count me in! I agree we need to pump up the class spirit. :laugh: I think I might have enough to cover a few others. I have been talking to a few students about housing and apartment stuff, and now I am just waiting to hear about getting our Pipeline accounts because I am ready for some more info. :p

Lucky for me, I mostly only have to worry about myself once I get up there, but I wish you the best of luck with housing, schools, and jobs for your husband, ShyRem. I know it can't be easy to move your entire family across the country, but I hope that the transition goes smoothly. And, if those are your kids in your avatar, they are beautiful! :)

I hope the January weather is keeping everyone in high spirits! The news said it was 15 degrees in Portland tonight... is this what we have to look forward to?

Nah, only kidding. The school and surrounding area are beautiful, regardless of the weather- are any of you skiers/riders? We'll have to find out if there's an affiliation between the school and a specific mountain or an All-East type pass for those few-and-far-between bouts of free time that we could use to get out and enjoy the fresh air and snow.

hey guys...my name is Farhan and I'm an MS-1 here at UNECOM. I was on this thread last year after I had gotten accepted and the current students then really helped me out. anyone got any questions I can answer? feel free to email me at [email protected]. have a great nite!!

-Farhan

ShyRem said:

Shyrem
docbill

Count me in as well, folks. It's kinda hard for me to up be really upbeat for next August, when it's soooooo far away. It's going to be a long move for me, so I'm wondering about my car, my junk... I mean my belongings :p and when is it a good time to start coordinating everything.

yeah.. so 5 down 110 or so to go.

Shyrem, can I be counted as a half member of the class even though I havent gotten in yet? There is no where else I would rather go and it would be pretty cool to get to know you guys better.Take care all.

this was in our monthly newsletter:

According to James Gaffney, Coordinator of Recruiting, "AACOMAS applications received by UNECOM are up 21 percent from the same time last year, and up 31 percent from two years ago. Year-to-date, UNECOM has received 2,307 AACOMAS applications compared to 1826 applications last January and 1586 in 2004. There has been a general increase in applications to most of the osteopathic schools, although the average is slightly less than that achieved here at UNECOM."

in case you're interested in reading the whole newsletter... http://www.une.edu/com/rsas/newsletter/jan06.html
and here's the old ones...
http://www.une.edu/com/rsas/newsletter.asp

1) Dr.docbill
2) Dr.ShyRem
3) Dr.soleil78
4) Dr.swtcatastrophe1
5) Dr.BostonDO
6) redwings54 Dr.pending

Sorry shyrem.. but I had to make a correction.

Anymore takers.

Hi Current students!!!!

I have a question.

How much does one need per/year. Tuition/Living/insurance/fees... what has been your estimate?

Ohhh I should add... I assume that I will be living with a roomate(s)

Full Time $34,820
General Service Fee $450
Malpractice Insurance $85
Total $35,355

Health Insurance for the student is $2,207 for the 2005/2006 academic year.

Medical Students are required to purchase equipment/instruments for the program. The Financial Aid Office allows $1,000 under the first year budget to purchase these items.

Students are required to purchase a laptop computer. A one-time technology allowance of $2,000 is included in the 1st year budget.

Books and Supplies
The costs will vary depending on the courses the student is taking. The Financial Aid Office uses $1,850 for the first year of the program, $1,850 for the second year of the program, $720 for the third year of the program and $720 for the fourth year of the program as a standard allowance for student budget purposes. The student's actual expenses may vary.

Indirect Costs
Indirect costs are included in the student's financial aid budget. These are not direct charges from the university, but allowances that are given to cover expenses that the student may have while attending school (the allowances listed below cover the number of months the student is enrolled for each year of the program):

1st year (August- May)
Room and Board $11000
Transportation /Travel costs $ 3600
Personal/Misc $ 1600

The Room and Board allowance is based on the following components:
Rent $550/month - Is enough if you're living with a roommate
Board (food) $360/month - plenty for food
Utilities $190/month - PLENTY to get phone/internet/cable/electric/etc.
Total: $1,100 per month

docbill said:
1) Dr.docbill
2) Dr.ShyRem
3) Dr.soleil78
4) Dr.swtcatastrophe1
5) Dr.BostonDO
6) redwings54 Dr.pending

Anymore takers.

Dr. docbill,

Aww geez, thanks man for the Dr. pending. I really do hope that I get in. Isnt foziewan a member of the class too? I cant remember for certain but I think I saw that somewhere. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and that you have a great upcoming weekend. And lets cheer on the Pats to beat Denver this weekend too. I know shyrem, you are from CO, but we are all going to be New Englanders soon so we gotta support the local teams. GO PATS!!! :D :p

redwings54 said:
Dr. docbill,

Aww geez, thanks man for the Dr. pending. I really do hope that I get in. Isnt foziewan a member of the class too? I cant remember for certain but I think I saw that somewhere. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and that you have a great upcoming weekend. And lets cheer on the Pats to beat Denver this weekend too. I know shyrem, you are from CO, but we are all going to be New Englanders soon so we gotta support the local teams. GO PATS!!! :D :p

ya
throw me on here majikbob....2010 class. now to get my funding all lined up.

bob

ShyRem said:
so we're lookin' at about $55K/yr budget that financial aid is based on. OUCH!

BIG ouch. I have a question for current students: Do any of you know of students at UNECOM that received the National Health Service Corps scholarship? They have a loan repayment program as well. I've been looking into it and I am interested, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has applied/gotten it. Also, I was wondering if any of you knew anyone who has taken out the primary care loans that UNE advertises on their financial aid site.

Thanks!

swtcatastrophe1 said:
BIG ouch. I have a question for current students: Do any of you know of students at UNECOM that received the National Health Service Corps scholarship? They have a loan repayment program as well. I've been looking into it and I am interested, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has applied/gotten it. Also, I was wondering if any of you knew anyone who has taken out the primary care loans that UNE advertises on their financial aid site.

Thanks!

Shannon :)

Shannon:

I can't advise you on the NHSC scholarship, but you are committing yourself to doing one of the specialties that they need. If you are not sure of what you want to do for residency or there is a possibility of doing something besides what they want, I would suggest holding off and getting the loans, otherwise it may not be a bad deal.

Me, I'm taking the loans. It gave me more flexibility for whatever it was I decided to do. We'll see if I get into the specialty that I'm interested.

Hopefully, other people who have opted for the NHSC scholarship will post more information.

Wook

I'd email the admissions office at UNE and ask them if they can connect you with someone in one of the classes who is doing NHSC. I know of a couple, but i don't want to just put their email address out there without their ok... The admissions office will know which students have said they'd be willing to correspond with incoming students. :)

1st Year 55,000 US$
2nd Year 60,000 US$ (board fees/prep/increase in tuition)
3rd Year 65,000 US$ (board fees/prep/increase in tuition)
4th Year 70,000 US$ (board fees/prep/increase in tuition)

WIth US <---> $Can =~$300,000CAN

Let seeeee.. NO government loans. Only 7,000$/year allowed

Can get 25,000$ US from private US bank (no co-signer)

Okay so I am up to half... anyone have some change in their sofa

docbill said:
1st Year 55,000 US$
2nd Year 60,000 US$ (board fees/prep/increase in tuition)
3rd Year 65,000 US$ (board fees/prep/increase in tuition)
4th Year 70,000 US$ (board fees/prep/increase in tuition)

WIth US <---> $Can =~$300,000CAN

Let seeeee.. NO government loans. Only 7,000$/year allowed

Can get 25,000$ US from private US bank (no co-signer)

Okay so I am up to half... anyone have some change in their sofa

DocBill, have you looked at getting loans from a place like SallieMae? Thats where I had all my undergrad loans from and will most likely get some of my med school loans from too. Just a thought.

Thanks Redwing. I will look that up.

I am sure things will work out for the best. They always seem to.

Good luck on your interview!!!

Thanks for the replies, Wook and JonB. Have a good day :thumbup:

wook said:
ShyRem:

1) Cape Elizabeth
325 Ocean House Raod
207-767-3323

Police Complex
136 Saco Avenue
[email protected]

4) Portland

5) General

Wook

ShyRem:

Biddeford posted a job in the Sunday paper, if hub is interested, he may want to give them a call.

Wook

Thanks, Wook!!!

His job is currently hosing him HARD. Giving him a hard time about taking his PTO (he has almost 400 hours saved up), but if he doesn't take it, they only pay him 1:3 when he leaves. It's not like he hasn't been asking to take it for a year - they just haven't let him have any time off. And they haven't let him go to any schools for the past year ever since they found out I was applying to med school. Some of his instructor certifications are set to expire, and they won't send him for recert but expect him to still teach the stuff. He's taking it in stride, but I'm pretty pissed about how they're treating him.

Good call on the Sallie Mae loans, Redwings. Their "medloans" program looks pretty impressive. Do any of you guys know when we will start getting the serious financial aid information from the school? I know we have to have the FAFSA in first, but all this number crunching is starting to look very overwhelming and I'd like more facts (although they probably won't make me feel too much better). :p

Just a bit more than 6 months... :D

Oh I like this list. Your white coat ceremony is after Gross Aantomy though. Have fun at the bonfire.

:luck:

docbill said:
1) Dr.docbill
2) Dr.ShyRem
3) Dr.soleil78
4) Dr.swtcatastrophe1
5) Dr.BostonDO
6) redwings54 Dr.pending

Anymore takers.

Hey guys. The Sallie Mae medloans thing does look pretty good, unfortunately for Docbill, you have to be a US citizen. Did anyone from previous classes use the SallieMae loans? Swtcatastrophe, you back at school now? Dont forget to add me on facebook. Hunter, did you decide where you are heading off to yet? My interview is on Tuesday, only 5 days away, eeek!!! But other than that, things are looking up. Take care everyone.
-Redwings(Rob)

Good Luck this coming week ROB. Tell them Docbill sais hi and that they better admit you otherwise I am not coming there.

Thats got to do it!

ShyRem said:
Thanks, Wook!!!

His job is currently hosing him HARD. Giving him a hard time about taking his PTO (he has almost 400 hours saved up), but if he doesn't take it, they only pay him 1:3 when he leaves. It's not like he hasn't been asking to take it for a year - they just haven't let him have any time off. And they haven't let him go to any schools for the past year ever since they found out I was applying to med school. Some of his instructor certifications are set to expire, and they won't send him for recert but expect him to still teach the stuff. He's taking it in stride, but I'm pretty pissed about how they're treating him.

If it's any condolence, I had almost 40 days of sick time built up that I was not compensated for when I left the job. I was too dang honest to call in sick.

Wook

ShyRem said:
Thanks, Wook!!!

ShyRem:

Here's the Biddeford web site if he has an interest in checking out their application process....

http://www.bpd.net/

Wook

Hey guys! Im a second year at UNECOM right now, and I have a good housing opportunity for anyone interested. It is a new appt close to UNE in a gorgeous area... right near the beach. I have nothing to do w/ this place, im just helping the owners out by spreading the word...

Anyway, here is the info.

Kennebunkport ? year-round 1 bedroom, clean, cozy, private.
Handy to UNE & Goose Rocks Beach.
Heat, sewer & water, parking included.
Partially or fully furnished ? your choice ? same cost.
Fully applianced including dishwasher, washer & dryer.
No pets or smoking.
Security deposit and lease. $700/mo. Call 283-8505, leave message.

Hey guys, so I am heading off to Maine in about an hour in about 8inches of snow as well. Got my interview tomorrow morning and then am being shown around by a first year as well as attending a class in the afternoon. I am really nervous, but excited as well. I hope everything goes great. Wish me luck guys and keep your fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes after I get back.
-Rob

redwings54 said:
Hey guys, so I am heading off to Maine in about an hour in about 8inches of snow as well. Got my interview tomorrow morning and then am being shown around by a first year as well as attending a class in the afternoon. I am really nervous, but excited as well. I hope everything goes great. Wish me luck guys and keep your fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes after I get back.
-Rob

Good luck, Rob. Just relax and be yourself at the interview. :)

Good luck Rob! I know you probably won't read this before you go, but I want you to know we're all pulling for you. You've done your homework and you'll be great! Keep us posted! :thumbup:

three cheers for dr. redwings :p

Status
Not open for further replies.