UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just another loan example. I get a little over $40K is sub/unsub stafford. I don't plan on living in maine or doing primary care, so I use the GradPLus loans. That takes care of the rest of COA, as there is no limit. The qualifying criteria really lax, too. If you need more than that, there are several companies that give loans above COA. Just shop around, b/c some of them are evil.
 
When I interviewed a few weeks ago there were two baby seals (aquadogs). One looked fine, the other was out of the water and not doing so hot. Any idea on how the little pup's doing. I'm trying to come up with some ideas for convincing the lady friend why moving to ME would be awesome, with baby seal's high on the list. Any other suggestions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to come up with some ideas for convincing the lady friend why moving to ME would be awesome, with baby seal's high on the list. Any other suggestions?

Lobster, skiing, New England autumns, great hiking, Kittery shopping outlets, whale watching, walks on the clean beachs, low cost of living area providing more money for "fun" activities during med school, UNE has many non-traditional students (i.e. married) with spouses she can talk/relate to..... shall I keep going?
 
Thanks, Shy and rgerwin and everyone else at UNECOM on this thread. It really helps to have information from current students. 🙂
 
All good ideas, thanks playmakur42. It would be nice to start skiing again.

3 mountains all around 1.5 to 2hrs from here - season pass with unlimited access for $299 : college student pass/ no blackout dates.
I'll bring my board when I go home for thanksgiving.

i'll keep you guys updated on the status of the mts.
sundayriver
sugarloaf
loon mountain

i believe Killington, VT can be a part of the package if you pay extra but that has blackout dates.
 
Hey guys, a question. Did any of your LOR writers received a post card thanking them for the LOR from UNECOM. One of my writers showed me the card from. My name and the address were handwritten on the card which is unheard of in the allo world. Is this a common thing they do?
 
I am assuming the Biddeford Ice arena is close by. Forget skiing, who wants to play some puck?!
 
Hey guys, a question. Did any of your LOR writers receive a post card thanking them for the LOR from UNECOM. One of my writers showed me the card from. My name and the address were handwritten on the card which is unheard of in the allo world. Is this a common thing they do?

ANYONE?
 
I don't know -- I never asked my LOR writers. And I don't work in the admin office, so I don't really have an answer to your question.

So we're not ignoring you, we just don't have an answer. 🙁 sorry.
 
Congratulations on matching into neurosurgery! That's awesome! 🙂

You bring up an excellent point that I hadn't considered. There probably are so many intangibles that I really shouldn't consider match lists in my decision. It is just so difficult to make a decision that I find myself nitpicking, you know?

All in all, I feel the most comfortable at UNE, but I just worry about the tuition more than anything. A doctor told me once, before I even applied, that if she could do it all again, tuition would be her biggest concern. Now, that might just be the rantings of someone far removed from the process, cynical at her high student loan payments. Everyone probably has something that they regret about some aspect of their training. In my case, I guess I just have to reconcile if the connections that I could make being in New England (where I hope to someday practice) are worth $10,000-15,000 more a year. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I have been looking into loan programs in Maine, specifically the MELA medical loans. Does anyone know anything about this? (I have significant undergraduate loans that I was hoping I might be able to consolidate with the private consolidation loan program -- it would cut my interest rate a lot!)

One more question - Does UNE ever give scholarships? How common is it?

Thanks again for your help, everyone. It really is kind of you to come back and offer advice to us clueless premeds. 🙂

If you can picture yourself happy at the other schools that you were accepted to, and the financial aid package is significantly better than UNECOM, then I would strongly urge you to got to the other schools. I know that UNECOM is a good school, but there is no way that it is going to be worth the debt that you have to pay back in the end. Yeah, you think that you're saving "only" $40,000 in the end-- but consider the interest that is compounded on a daily basis over a period of what may be 30 years. All of a sudden, that $40,000 may have already become more like $120,000. That's your kid's college tuition.

I didn't go to all the interviews that I was offered, and one of the schools probably would have offered me a much better financial aid package if I was accepted; I really regret not checking out that school now. The med school that I am at now is undoubtedly a better fit for me than the school where I passed up my interview, but I still regret not going to that school. Money is way more important than you think it is now because paying off your debt seems like it is far away. Just remember, that after you take out those loans your debt is accruing more interest by the day.

Don't worry about matching in the location of your choice; do well on your boards and your third year rotations and you will match where you want to. Blow your boards and your third year rotations and it doesn't really matter what school you go to, you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever program is willing to take you. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your success this cycle!
 
Thanks, Silas! That was a really helpful post!

I hope you don't mind, but I'm PMed you (with some info specific to my situation) so as not to hijack the thread. 😉
 
hi! i am just wondering if any one is choosing between going to a DO school and going to an MD school ?
 
Those who got accepted to UNECOM, what were your stats and EC's, if u don't mind me asking ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REDWINGS54: what are the chances of specializing in Orthopedic Surgery coming out of UNECOM?
 
[quoteThose who got accepted to UNECOM, what were your stats and EC's, if u don't mind me asking ?[/quote]

4.0 science🙂, 3.8 nonscience🙂, 23MCAT🙁........but i got accepted 🙂
published cancer research at dartmouth medical school in a high profile journal, 1000 plus hours of community service, varsity wresting at columbia college, etc.

i think UNE accepts the least amount of students of all DO schools (around 230ish, and 120ish matriculate)
 
How long from interview to verdict?

I am interviewing at UNECOM on Dec 8th and already have an acceptance from AZCOM and KCOM. Their deadlines for deposit are on Dec 15th. I would love to be able to put a deposit down at just one school. UNECOM and KCOM are my top 2 choices. Do you think it would be at all likely that I would hear back from UNECOM before the Dec 15th deadline? Of course, I'll ask them at my interview, but any advance info from applicants-in-the-know would be appreciated.
 

Yep...my DO LOR did sometime in October, soon after they received her letter. However, this did not correspond to an interview invite....at least not yet 🙄 Fingers still crossed though, haven't received a rejection either so there is still hope. She also got one from PCOM (no word yet either!)
 
I interviewed 10/11 and my acceptance letter was dated 10/18...I received 10/25. I thought that was fast!
 
I interviewed on a Saturday and got my letter the next Thursday.

Me too - interviewed on a Saturday got the acceptance letter on Thursday (dated from Monday). I wonder if we were in the same interview tour. I went to see the baby seals too.
 
Me too - interviewed on a Saturday got the acceptance letter on Thursday (dated from Monday). I wonder if we were in the same interview tour. I went to see the baby seals too.

I interviewed 11/2. I was the tall guy, maybe made a few inappropriate jokes about clubbing them, because come on, what else do you do with baby seals.
 
Hey guys,

For those of you who interviewed, what time does the interview day end typically (including everything)?
 
Hey guys,

For those of you who interviewed, what time does the interview day end typically (including everything)?

It went short info session, then interviews, then tour (reverse the last two for some) and I was done before noon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 11/2. I was the tall guy, maybe made a few inappropriate jokes about clubbing them, because come on, what else do you do with baby seals.

Yeah, we were in the same group. I was the girl with brown hair in a black suit. I was the one whose interview ran long and you guys were waiting for me to go on the tour.
 
ooh, ok so according to the email my interview is scheduled between 9 and 11 AM. I'm guessing I'll be done by 12?

Yes, mine was scheduled between 1 and 4 and I was in the afternoon group (asked to arrive at noon). Good luck! :luck:
 
You'll be fine! Everyone is super nice, and the interview itself was very conversational. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks, reading this thread helps a lot....It's my first interview though so that's probably why. I just hope I won't go off on some tangent and stammer my way through it, haha
 
Thanks, reading this thread helps a lot....It's my first interview though so that's probably why. I just hope I won't go off on some tangent and stammer my way through it, haha

Just a little tip, my first question was why UNECOM. A question I screwed up at my first interview. They were very nice and low stress at UNECOM, don't worry.
 
Yes, they always ask that one and "why osteopathy"/"why medicine" at all the schools where I interviewed so be sure to have a good answer for both of those at minimum. The interview feedback section of SDN is probably the best resource since a lot of the same questions are used again.
 
Just got an email from Lisa in UNECOM admissions---acceptance letters for the 11/15 interview group go out today.......and I'm in!!! I'm accepted!!!! It's been such a long road. Two years, two application cycles, two attempts....Now the payoff!!! Time to bask in the glow! YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS!!!
 
Wow, congrats, Member! That's great!


I wanted to tell everyone on here thanks for all your help with my many questions over the past few weeks. I was accepted to IUSM, and I had my choices narrowed down to UNE and IU due to both being close to family. However, the tuition for me will be a lot cheaper at IU, so we've decided to stay here.

Thanks again for all your support, and good luck to current applicants! I am withdrawing tomorrow so hopefully someone else will get my seat soon! :luck:
 
Just a little tip, my first question was why UNECOM. A question I screwed up at my first interview. They were very nice and low stress at UNECOM, don't worry.

Yea, I hope it'll go smoothly. I'm just worried about those curveball ethics questions, but it doesn't look like UNECOM really goes into them...although I may be the anomaly after assuming that haha
 
Just got an email from Lisa in UNECOM admissions---acceptance letters for the 11/15 interview group go out today.......and I'm in!!! I'm accepted!!!! It's been such a long road. Two years, two application cycles, two attempts....Now the payoff!!! Time to bask in the glow! YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS!!!


I interviewed 11/15.

No email for me...bummer.

Not surprised I guess, my UNE interview was not a great experience! The person I had grilled me good...didn't smile once and asked questions that I thought were pretty ridiculous.

Congratulations though! Seemed like a pretty nice place to go to school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MedChic,
Don't worry about the interview to much. Use the interview section of this website to find out the questions they will prob ask and write down your answers. Next practice with someone to get over your nerves. If you have clinical experience, talk allot about that. This will prevent them from having time to ask to many abstract questions. Just let them know you are up to the challenge and WANT to be a doctor. You will Rock!

Good luck!
 
I interviewed 11/15.

No email for me...bummer.

Not surprised I guess, my UNE interview was not a great experience! The person I had grilled me good...didn't smile once and asked questions that I thought were pretty ridiculous.

Congratulations though! Seemed like a pretty nice place to go to school.

EEK, what did they ask you?
 
MedChic,
Don't worry about the interview to much. Use the interview section of this website to find out the questions they will prob ask and write down your answers. Next practice with someone to get over your nerves. If you have clinical experience, talk allot about that. This will prevent them from having time to ask to many abstract questions. Just let them know you are up to the challenge and WANT to be a doctor. You will Rock!

Good luck!

Thanks Gold,
I think you're right..the key for me is to kind of take control of the convo
I looked through the interview feedback and wrote down the questions so hopefully that'll ease my nerves somewhat...