unemployment leap, reapplication, and mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to need to reapply for the next cycle due to a poor MCAT score. I'm on one wait list, but it would be prudent to get started on plans looking forward.

I am confident that I am fairly competitive aside from that score (VR was 5 points lower than expected based on practices). I have a PhD, >15 publications, 10 years in organic chemistry research, 3.8 grad GPA, and am confident in my LORs. I'm in my early 30s.

If having to reapply, I am wondering what I will do with the intervening year. I will have to spend some study time getting ready for the MCAT this summer. I don't have much interest in continuing my academic job and can afford to take a year off. I'd like to spend that year volunteering and travelling to learn another language (out of country) or to get a clinical assistant job in another state to try for in-state residence in a place that's more geographically agreeable to me.

What do you think about how taking the year 'off' will impact my application? It would commit me to leaving the lab, which is a big leap, but one I'm wanting to take anyway.

Additionally, my state school has lenient residency requirements. Would it be possible to establish residency in another state and apply in-state in two states? I would know which school I was more likely to get into in advance enough to move back here in time to have the necessary documentation. Is this viewed as unethical or would it even be known to admissions committees?

Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am confident that I am fairly competitive aside from that score (VR was 5 points lower than expected based on practices). I have a PhD, >15 publications, 10 years in organic chemistry research, 3.8 grad GPA, and am confident in my LORs. I'm in my early 30s.
Undergrad GPA? Unfortunately that matters, even with a PhD. Part of getting in is proving you like jumping through hoops.
If having to reapply, I am wondering what I will do with the intervening year. I will have to spend some study time getting ready for the MCAT this summer. I don't have much interest in continuing my academic job and can afford to take a year off. I'd like to spend that year volunteering and travelling to learn another language (out of country) or to get a clinical assistant job in another state to try for in-state residence in a place that's more geographically agreeable to me.

What do you think about how taking the year 'off' will impact my application? It would commit me to leaving the lab, which is a big leap, but one I'm wanting to take anyway.
I think you should take advantage of the chance to travel. But I think you're talking about 2 years, aren't you? An MCAT retake "this summer" means you shouldn't apply until next June, to start med school fall 2014. For instance, if you're retaking the MCAT in August, you're not getting your score until September or October, and then you're a late applicant.

In other words, you have to have new reapplication assets in hand before you apply, and applying late is a huge mistake. (Also rewrite all essays. Yes they will look at your old & new apps side by side. Your new app has to be a better app or don't bother.)

Meanwhile, do everything you can to get feedback on your current app. Some schools will let you sit down with an admissions officer.
Additionally, my state school has lenient residency requirements. Would it be possible to establish residency in another state and apply in-state in two states? I would know which school I was more likely to get into in advance enough to move back here in time to have the necessary documentation. Is this viewed as unethical or would it even be known to admissions committees?
You have to put one state on AMCAS, and that sets the tone of the conversation. If you are going to claim residency in another state, you have to work that out school by school according to state laws. Meanwhile, your current state of residence can make you prove your residency as well. Generally, you need to do things to get residency in state B that negate your residency in state A, such as changing your drivers license, car registration, voter registration, etc. I'm not going to make any recommendations on what to do with this, other than to consult official sources of requirements, not just college web pages.

Best of luck to you.

Grad GPA isn't really counted. My graduate record (which included a lot of unfulfilled incompletes and one F) wasn't even discussed while my undergraduate performance was fairly scrutinized in interviews.

Also, from my conversations with student adcoms at a couple schools, graduate degree holders are held to a higher standard. For example, at NW, they really don't like seeing anything less than a 32 from a graduate degree holder on the MCAT. That's a red flag that either the applicant isn't taking this seriously or that their degree isn't very rigorous. Scientists should crush the MCAT. Period.

Publications are great, so that's a major positive for you.

What about clinical volunteering? If there's one thing I learned from talking to the schools that rejected my app, it was that I didn't have enough medical exposure. Even with an MS, a 3.7 undergraduate record with a BS in Biology and BS in Chemistry, and a 37T MCAT score, I was still rejected at 4 schools, waitlisted at 2 and was eventually accepted at 1 school so far. I applied really late last cycle and I'm truly grateful for the one acceptance I got. I spent the last year beefing up my clinicals for this year's app, but thankfully it wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your responses.

My undergrad GPA is 3.4, which I think is sub-par, but I was only given negative feedback on my MCAT. The dean basically said everything else was fine and was pleased to see a trend of improvement.

I have ~170 h clinical volunteering and counting as I volunteer nights at a clinic. I also have 47 h of MD shadowing logged.

I'm not wanting to take another 2 years. I'd be taking the MCAT in mid July and having AMCAS in so that it's verified around the same time as the scores come in. The adcom suggested I not register yet as I was likely to come in off of the list. I'm working on some prep and realizing that I need to get serious about studying because I haven't gotten the call yet. After your assessment of the situation, I'm hoping that this isn't putting me behind schedule.

I was basically a late applicant last year because the MCAT score came as a surprise and they had me take a separate verbal exam, which I scored well on. That was in October, so I was essentially a complete applicant very late.

My undergrad GPA is 3.4, which I think is sub-par, but I was only given negative feedback on my MCAT. The dean basically said everything else was fine and was pleased to see a trend of improvement.

A 3.4 isn't bad at all, especially with your other ECs and academic performance. I wouldn't fret on this too much. Rock the MCAT and you should be competitive anywhere.

A 3.4 isn't bad at all, especially with your other ECs and academic performance. I wouldn't fret on this too much. Rock the MCAT and you should be competitive anywhere.

I'm actually in a similar situation. I have a 3.4 UG, a 3.8 MS, and am currently holding a 4.0 PhD (queued to finish in about 1.5 years). I have all the necessary ECs in place, and am re-taking my MCAT in January. What are the odds of getting in to a MD program with a 3.4 UG GPA, assuming all other aspects of the application are wonderful and the application is submitted early in the cycle? I'm making an appointment with my university's admission's office to discuss this point, but it would be interesting to see what others think about this GPA.