Unfair Accusation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Preceptor... tenure?

I didn't think preceptors were on a tenure track.

Members don't see this ad.

Preceptor... tenure?

That's a school-by-school thing.

At my institution, many PharmD faculty members work for the school and are half time teaching and half time working at their clinical sites, where they precept students. They are on the assistant-associate-professor tract. Other preceptors aren't on the school payroll at all and are considered community-based clinical assistant professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preceptor... tenure?

She was a clinical instructor who divided her time between precepting and teaching, which as a professor also included research.

The year before I did rotations, a FEMALE preceptor got in really big trouble for telling a student who was pregnant and due during that rotation that if she took more than 3 days off when she had the baby, she would automatically fail even if she turned in all her assignments. :eek: The student said, "If I have a c-section, I'll still be in the hospital" and the preceptor replied, "You should have thought about that before you got pregnant." :mad: This student went to the dean, and the dean told the preceptor that if this woman did her work, she would have to be passed. And that student ended up not having a c-section, either.

The year after I graduated, this preceptor was denied tenure. Gee, I wonder why. :confused: Not long after that, she got pregnant herself, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one whose initial reaction was, "I hope she's sick as a dog the whole nine months. No, really, I wouldn't wish that on anybody." Even beforehand, she was not well liked or respected by other students or faculty, and I really think that the only reason she was kept on was because her husband worked there too, and he WAS well respected and still is. IIRC, she was a SAHM, at least for a little while..

Imagine if that preceptor got tenure!! :laugh: How would she treat her students then? :laugh::scared:

I've never thought any of that is beneath me. :shrug:

Me neither. And if you're going to own your own joint, you'll probably have to do it anyway. When I get bored at work on slow days, I clean and wipe stuff down in the IV room in true OCD fashion just to pass the time.

Thanks, that just opened my eyes. I'd given up on academia because I didn't want research to be my main focus. Maybe I'll reconsider.

You should. Our clinical instructors have a pretty sweet deal. Work at the UMC, at the clinic, or community practice half time and teach half time. They get students and residents to precept and then lecture in things like therapeutics for their specialty block. Not all are tenure track though. Nonetheless, between your salary from the college and your salary from your job, you're making more than any retail or hospital gig alone. Plus you get to mentor students/residents, which is the best part IMO.

Anyone notice that a lot of these stories seem to be female preceptor vs female student? Whereas if it were a male preceptor with a female student it would be just like Z said: "I would never flunk her because she's cute".

Where do you draw the line? Cleaning the pill tray? Dusting? Vacuuming? Taking out the trash? Cleaning the bathroom?
I wouldn't ask a student to do anything that I wouldn't do as part of my normal duties. But woe to the student that thinks they are above the rare housekeeping duty.

I've never thought any of that is beneath me. :shrug:

Well I think the point is you are there to learn as a student, what are you learning by scrubbing toilets? I know some preceptors don't even want the rotation students counting/filling prescriptions because they don't learn anything from it... I personally have no problems doing those things...well maybe scrubbing toilets while being on rotation is out of line... but you get my point

As for students paying to be there arguments...idk...same can be said for preceptors I guess, most likely, your job description said you will be precepting students, so you are getting paid for it in a sense it's your job lol

Precepting here is optional, so it's not always part of the job description. I recognize that students take away from the pharmacist's ability to work at 100% because they're teaching while working. For that reason, I don't hesitate to get the phone, answer the door, take out trash, etc.

Part of the learning during rotations is learning how to work as part of a team. The anti-social folks who scoff at the idea of helping clean stand out like sore thumbs.

Where do you draw the line? Cleaning the pill tray? Dusting? Vacuuming? Taking out the trash? Cleaning the bathroom?

All of that seems normal to me except cleaning the bathroom.

As a Walgreens tech I did all of that except cleaning the bathroom.

I don't think as a pharmacy intern you are above the tech at all. Sorry if you think you are. :rolleyes:

Most techs know MORE than the pharmacy intern...especially the interns that don't have much work experience.

If you think you are above the tech and therefore you shouldn't have to do anything b/c you are somehow superior to them then you def have problems.

All of that seems normal to me except cleaning the bathroom.

As a Walgreens tech I did all of that except cleaning the bathroom.

I don't think as a pharmacy intern you are above the tech at all. Sorry if you think you are. :rolleyes:

Most techs know MORE than the pharmacy intern...especially the interns that don't have much work experience.

If you think you are above the tech and therefore you shouldn't have to do anything b/c you are somehow superior to them then you def have problems.

I think your new boyfriend/neighbor/FB:smuggrin: is a positive influence on you :thumbup:

You should. Our clinical instructors have a pretty sweet deal. Work at the UMC, at the clinic, or community practice half time and teach half time. They get students and residents to precept and then lecture in things like therapeutics for their specialty block. Not all are tenure track though. Nonetheless, between your salary from the college and your salary from your job, you're making more than any retail or hospital gig alone. Plus you get to mentor students/residents, which is the best part IMO.

That sounds like an awesome job. Is this why you're getting your PhD, so that you can do something like this?