unfilled IM spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej6527

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I did not match into an IM program unfortunatly. According to the specialty match statistics released by NRMP, there were 78 slots out of 4700 that were unfilled. Is this usually how few slots are left over? I thought IM was one of the easier residencies to get, according to that it filled %98 this year! Please comment anyone

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a lower total than in past years. I think that some PDs are as averse to scrambling as some applicants. If you want to open doors during scrambel look to FP as an alternative, or maybe peds...
Good lUck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello
I did not match into an IM program unfortunatly. According to the specialty match statistics released by NRMP, there were 78 slots out of 4700 that were unfilled. Is this usually how few slots are left over? I thought IM was one of the easier residencies to get, according to that it filled %98 this year! Please comment anyone

Yes, I agree. That is unusual. A lot of the FMGs most likely took a large percentage of those spots. I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. You will be okay. You will be a doctor. Either fight or search inside yourself for something that will make you happy. To be honest, I hate internal medicine. Perhaps you will be happier in the long run. Remember you made it this far, you are smart and don't let the match tell you otherwise!

Is that the number of categorical spots open or categorical plus prelim? I know a couple of people hoping to scramble into IM, but that sounds tough. Hopefully there are 78 categorical and way more prelim so people can find a job for a year at least and go from there.

Hello

Not only were there the lowest number of unfilled spots in 7 years....but also the number of IM positions in the match were the most within the last 7 years....so yes....this year IM was much more competetive than in previous years....

I am really sorry to hear about your not matching into IM. :( That is such an unfortunate event.

For your knowledge, attached are the listings of unfilled programs in the past (2006, 2005, 2003). I hope that they shed some light on the type of programs to expect tomorrow.

1. If the same program shows up consecutively from year to year, it is likely that the program will have unfilled spots this year as well.
2. If a program is present in 2006 but not in 2005, it is less likely that they will go unmatched in 2007. Many programs try to lengthen their rank lists to prevent an unmatched status.

good luck to you!

Attachments

• UnfilledProgNRMP2006.pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 985
  • UnfilledProgNRMP2005.pdf
    218.8 KB · Views: 368
  • UnfilledProgNRMP2003.pdf
    238.2 KB · Views: 307
I am really sorry to hear about your not matching into IM. :( That is such an unfortunate event.

For your knowledge, attached are the listings of unfilled programs in the past (2006, 2005, 2003). I hope that they shed some light on the type of programs to expect tomorrow.

1. If the same program shows up consecutively from year to year, it is likely that the program will have unfilled spots this year as well.
2. If a program is present in 2006 but not in 2005, it is less likely that they will go unmatched in 2007. Many programs try to lengthen their rank lists to prevent an unmatched status.

good luck to you!

thanks for posting that info.

the above act of posting the unfilled lists - a very noble gesture - is illegal. be careful good samaritan. i wish u the best..

the above act of posting the unfilled lists - a very noble gesture - is illegal. be careful good samaritan. i wish u the best..
Really? Is there a local ordinance prohibiting this? State law? Federal law? Don't we have some MD/JD folks around? Maybe they can clarify the difference between a contract violation, which I suspect you mean, and an illegal activity. Should we be taking advice from those who don't even bother capitalizing words and using "u" for "you"?

Hello
I did not match into an IM program unfortunately. According to the specialty match statistics released by NRMP, there were 78 slots out of 4700 that were unfilled. Is this usually how few slots are left over? I thought IM was one of the easier residencies to get, according to that it filled %98 this year! Please comment anyone

If it makes you feel any better, I had to scramble today it was miserable. Although I did get a IM spot, it was NOT nearly as easy as people told me. If I had known, I would have definitely applied more broadly and ranked more than 3 programs. :eek: I was also informed that this year was unusually competitive and that many medical schools had a larger than normal group of students scrambling. At my school, there were 16 of us and I guess we're considered a top 10 program...so go figure!! Good Luck and remember that there is always tomorrow and that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. :luck: :luck:

Justasking - thanks for posting. Did you ever hear about how many US students were applying to IM this year? Based on the fill rate I would guess it's up, but it's hard to tell with variable ROL lengths.

Since he only posted unfilled positions from *previous years*, information that is accessible to everybody, doesn't count as a violation.

thank u for contributing positively on the topic and my english - i appreciate ur sincere input.

until last yr scutwork.com used to post these old lists - they were removed from the site on threat of nrmp action. and forums such as usmle.net were closed down during the scramble to explicitly prevent the distribution of lists last yr.

i never knew there were "legal" contract violations.. but im sure u will enlighten me.

my post was for the probably uninformed person who attached the lists. as per how lightly or seriously he regards my lines is upto him..

i personally think the whole rule is 100% bull.. but i didnt make it.. and the risk of having some leagl garbage thrown on u - however miniscule - is real.

no good deed goes unpunished..

gl..

Thanks for posting! What happened to all the good IM spots?! I still can't find one at University setting or elsewhere. Will I be screwed if I don't find a spot now?

Hello,
Thank you all for the posts. I am a 4th year med student at a US allopathic school. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a spot in the scramble for IM, just because my cs score has not been released (scheduled to be released next week). Does anyone have experience with the findAResident website? I am trying to utilize their service, but I can hardly find any PGY1 openings. Advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Hello,
Thank you all for the posts. I am a 4th year med student at a US allopathic school. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a spot in the scramble for IM, just because my cs score has not been released (scheduled to be released next week). Does anyone have experience with the findAResident website? I am trying to utilize their service, but I can hardly find any PGY1 openings. Advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Something that worked for me (my story's not quite the same as yours, but I graduarted last year and found myself without a PGY1 spot and the daunting task of trying to find one) . . . start looking around for a research lab at your institution interested in someone who would like to work. This way you have something to show for your year, maybe even a publication and a letter. I can almost gaurantee that the quality of programs (within reason obvioulsy) wanting to interview you after this experience will be improved from this year.

Thanks a lot for your response. Actually I had my lab during medical school with an NIH- funded research project. I hav be doing this work in addition to my medical school's full course load for the past 4 years. I also published peer reviewed articles/abstract and and attended national scientific meetings during this period. These all contributed to my not doing well in my CS at first attempt. I still have about 1.5 years left in the grant, salary and supplies etc, fully paid for. I read a tread today indicating that FP or transitional year will be better than doing a year of research, hence my attempt to find an IM spot via any of these services after the release of my cs scores. Any thought?
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for your response. Actually I had my lab during medical school with an NIH- funded research project. I hav be doing this work in addition to my medical school's full course load for the past 4 years. I also published peer reviewed articles/abstract and and attended national scientific meetings during this period. These all contributed to my not doing well in my CS at first attempt. I still have about 1.5 years left in the grant, salary and supplies etc, fully paid for. I read a tread today indicating that FP or transitional year will be better than doing a year of research, hence my attempt to find an IM spot via any of these services after the release of my cs scores. Any thought?
Thanks!

Considering your situation, I can't argue with the logic of trying to find a PGY1 position outside the match, although, this is harder than you might think this time of year. Personally, I think you have more options with a research year, especially since you'll be able to go to any interview you want. Working as an intern will limit the time you have available to interview. Good luck!

EDIT: Number of ranked programs (ie interviews) equal match success, according to the research, especially for the "other" category, which is what you will be in next year's match.