Uniformed Services University Health Science Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabby0101

Reaction score
Hey, I'm really interested in applying here. I was wondering, though, if any current students or past students could explain a little about the physical demands while at the school. I know you have to pass physical fitness tests twice a year, but what do those require? Running, swimming, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a student, but I'm applying there next cycle. USUHS has been my #1 school since high school. BUT... my sister is currently a USUHS student so I do have some experience with USU.
First... USUHS is the military medical school. You are required first and foremost to be an OFFICER. My sister jokes that everyone at USUHS is an officer first before they're a physician. I'm not sure if you have any military background, but being an officer requires you to be an example to enlisted members, which means setting the standards for fitness, leadership, and integrity. For fitness standards, look up the tests for whichever branch you want to serve in.
For army, I believe they'll use the new ACFT. You want to aim for perfect on those tests, but most don't get perfect scores. As far as monthly exams, my sister takes them once a month-- if she doesn't pass, I think she has 2 more tries or she's kicked out. But 99% of the time, students will pass. My sister was sick before her test, but she still passed (though she was close to failing).

My sisters is also a naval academy grad, but she spent 2 years at a state university before attending the naval academy. So, when she graduated, she was 24 years. At 24 years old, she was considered "young" by adcom and her interviewers. Many of her classmates were nontraditional, prior-service, ex-SF, etc. Most of the "younger" traditional applicants were academy (navy, West Point, Air Force) grads. USUHS loves academy grads.

I highly recommend you shadow military physicians. Military medicine is changing, with certain specialties being significantly reduced or even being completely outsources to civilian-trained physicians. Additionally, with the political/military climate we're in, many physicians are left with not much to do-- leading to administrative duties.
My sister tells me that if I REALLY want to be a doctor, I should go to a civilian medical school. On the other hand, if I want to be an officer (which is my goal), then attend USUHS. Think carefully.

Also, keep in mind that in order to be fully "accepted", you need to pass a security test, have a US citizenship, pass a preliminary military fitness test, and pass an extensive medical exam (usually at MEPS, but might have changed(?)).

Members don't see this ad :)
BLUF: Some misconceptions in the above. I'm a current student, so I'm giving my experience here at the school. Below the dashes are details of the physical component.

I'm assuming you mean USUHS. I'm an MS2 here. To address some of the above:

At USUHS you are a med student first and foremost. Yes, we are all officers, but our primary duty is to be a medical student. The school generally tries to keep any military type stuff minimal during academic blocks. There are certain military unique curriculum exercises and things we have to do, but the big ones are all between blocks so we're not overwhelmed by that stuff while trying to learn medicine. The only exception to that is the last block of preclerkship, where for some reason we have like 5 military medicine/officer type sessions.

As for age, most people are in their mid 20s. The majority of the class (60%) has no prior military experience whatsoever, and of the remaining 40%, only half of us have any operational experience (the rest are academy or ROTC folks, which--no offense to them--doesn't really count).

If you really want to be a military physician and want to get education on leadership and officership during your medical education, USUHS is a great school. IMO, the "officer first, physician second" idea is not really true. You're both. The military is training you to be a physician. That's your purpose in the military. Being a good officer is important, but if you're a ****ty doctor and a good officer, you're not really helping anyone. This might be an opinion I have because I was enlisted for 7 years prior to coming to USUHS, so I have some real world experience.

-----------

Okay, for the physical requirements. You are required to pass a physical fitness assessment every year. How often will depend on the branch and on how well you do. I can speak generally for the other branches, but since I'm Navy, I know the most about that.

In the Navy, the PFA is a body composition assessment (BCA) (height/weight) and a physical readiness test. If you fail the BCA, you fail. If you pass the BCA, you move on and do the readiness test (usually a few days or so later). It is core, upper body, and cardio. The test recently changed, so this is what it looks like now.

The first event is pushups. How many you have to do to pass or max out depends on your age and gender, but generally a 24 year old will have to do 47 pushups to get a Good-Low for males and 21 for females for the same score.

The second event is forearm planks. The scoring is based on age. It is the same for both males and females. The minimum for a 24 year old to get a Good-Low is 2:05. The maximum is 3:35.

The final event is cardio. The typical way to do this is a 1.5 mile run. For 24 year old males, 12:00 is Good-Low; for 24 yo females, it is 14:15. You can also swim, bike, or do a 2K row (that's new).

In the Navy, if you overall get an excellent-low as your average, you only have to take the PRT once a year.

The Army uses the ACFT, which is this crazy test where you throw a ball, do some deadlifts, drag a dummy, sprint, and some other crap. The Air Force is still pushups, situps, run I think.

Other than the PFA, you are not required to do any sort of physical training. It is highly recommended, because PFA failures look really bad and will affect promotion and retention eventually. But it is not required. Some people PT together, most on their own. In COVID world, we are not allowed to do group PT on the base anymore. But there is a track and two gyms you can use on your own.

speaking strictly Army, the ACFT is pretty easy to pass but hard to max. usually the standard is passing once per year, but this can vary with your command.

usually people struggle a lot with the run, but i know a lot of nerdy people (aka premeds) who can run forever but can't knock out more than 10 pushups. this website has the workouts, standards, and some recommendations for how to get your score up. if you run 2 miles every other day, do pushups and situps every day, and throw in some other workouts (squats, muscle specific workouts) occasionally, you'll be fine.

i've noticed nutrition is also super important, i can not work out for a while but eat right and still get a good score, or kill myself working out and eat terribly and not improve at all. while your ACFT score matters for your career in the army, my guess is no one in AMEDD is going to care for a doctor as long as you're not failing.