2022-2023 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice for applicants without any prior service or ROTC experience?

Any advice for applicants without any prior service or ROTC experience?
Make sure you do research about the program and what it entails as well as why do you want to do this over civilian med

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a secondary yet?
I haven’t received one yet. I’ve been obsessively waiting because this is my first choice school lol. Also, I saw that last cycle they released on the same day applications were transmitted.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone gets a secondary from USUHS and sees this, please post on here to give everyone a heads up. I’ll do the same when I get it. :)

I haven’t received one yet. I’ve been obsessively waiting because this is my first choice school lol. Also, I saw that last cycle they released on the same day applications were transmitted.
So they send them before your application is verified? Does that mean even if we get it before it is verified we still only have the 2 weeks to submit it?

Just got and I’m not verified yet. Although hopefully soon as I’m a June 5th submit.

Secondary received this morning. I submitted late May/early June. Here are the prompts:

1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 Character Limit)

2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 Character Limit)

3. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours has informed your ability to participate well in a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.

Were there any significant disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in reviewing your application?

Secondary received this morning. I submitted late May/early June. Here are the prompts:

1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 Character Limit)

2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 Character Limit)

3. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours has informed your ability to participate well in a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.

Were there any significant disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in reviewing your application?
These look exactly the same as last year and can confirm

So they send them before your application is verified? Does that mean even if we get it before it is verified we still only have the 2 weeks to submit it?
The email i received said we have 21 days to submit... I submitted my primary 6/11 and I was surprised to already have gotten this secondary invite... but I'm also puzzled, because the school has to know that many aren't verified. I hope both of us are verified soon within the next couple of weeks!

I just got the secondary today as well. Read the instructions carefully. It says “DO NOT wait for your AMCAS application to be verified to complete the supplemental application”. It goes on to say that you should NOT do the prerequisite match until verification is complete. There are a list of contacts you can email if you have questions, but it says to read everything first.

I was verified a while ago, so I submitted today.

Best of luck to you all. I hope to meet you at USUHS. I’ll check this sub occasionally to update everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
The email i received said we have 21 days to submit... I submitted my primary 6/11 and I was surprised to already have gotten this secondary invite... but I'm also puzzled, because the school has to know that many aren't verified. I hope both of us are verified soon within the next couple of weeks!
Same here. I submitted 6/16 so you'll have to let me know when yours is verified. I was confused this morning when I received it but I guess I'm happy to get it in. Does this mean everyone received one who has applied so far probably?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I submitted 6/16 so you'll have to let me know when yours is verified. I was confused this morning when I received it but I guess I'm happy to get it in. Does this mean everyone received one who has applied so far probably?
Found my stupid error... the prerequisites can only be filled out once verified, but the prerequisites section of the app is separate from the other secondary app elements.

Found my stupid error... the prerequisites can only be filled out once verified, but the prerequisites section of the app is separate from the other secondary app elements.
That makes more sense now

So I could fill out the prerequisites before I finish my essays?

I got an email today that my application is now officially under review.

Primary sent: June 24th (fully verified)
Secondary sent: June 30th

I’ll keep everyone posted. Good luck! I’m excited to meet you all!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email today that my application is now officially under review.

Primary sent: June 24th (fully verified)
Secondary sent: June 30th

I’ll keep everyone posted. Good luck! I’m excited to meet you all!
Is your Clinical LOR already sent?

Is your Clinical LOR already sent?
Yeah. They stated in the email that they have received every part of my application. I had all of my LORs in AMCAS well before I submitted the application for verification, so I assume once I submitted my secondary they had everything.

Yeah. They stated in the email that they have received every part of my application. I had all of my LORs in AMCAS well before I submitted the application for verification, so I assume once I submitted my secondary they had everything.
Is this what you received?

Mine said "Email confirmations will not be sent"
Your Secondary Application has been submitted to the USU Office of Recruitment and Admissions. This notice is your confirmation that your Secondary Application has been received by the USU Admissions Office. Email confirmations will not be sent. If you have any questions or would like a status update during the application cycle, you may contact your Admissions Counselor, by last names, at:

Is this what you received?

Mine said "Email confirmations will not be sent"
I received that message as well when I submitted my secondary on 6/30.

However, I received a confirmation email today stating that my application was officially complete and now under review.

Does anyone know how the admissions committee works? Or if the dean of admissions ultimately makes the final decision?

And also, do we need all our LOR in to be considered complete? Or can they send interview invites out without it?

From USUHS website, FAQ Page, Issues that delay application:
  • “Lack of one or more of your letters of recommendation (the Admissions Committee needs your complete set of letters before reviewing your application)”
    And also, do we need all our LOR in to be considered complete? Or can they send interview invites out without it?

Does anyone know how the admissions committee works? Or if the dean of admissions ultimately makes the final decision?
USUHS website, Application Process page:

“…their application files are forwarded to the Admissions Committee for a final review and decision. If the Admissions Committee approves an acceptance, an applicant is given a conditional offer of acceptance.”

Does anyone have insights on how USUHS views active duty applicants? I am an active duty Army officer. I don't think I would typically be a very strong candidate for USUHS, cGPA 3.17, sGPA 3.39 and grad GPA 3.65, MCAT 505. Does anyone know if they give any sort of special consideration to active duty applicants? Does it make up for the lower academic stats?

Does anyone have insights on how USUHS views active duty applicants? I am an active duty Army officer. I don't think I would typically be a very strong candidate for USUHS, cGPA 3.17, sGPA 3.39 and grad GPA 3.65, MCAT 505. Does anyone know if they give any sort of special consideration to active duty applicants? Does it make up for the lower academic stats?
they say that they do factor it in... however they obviously will make no exceptions for people that they deem bad candidates to succeed in school. So prior service does help a bit, but will have to be accompanied by evidence of success academically.

im obviously not on the board, but it appears that your stats show ability to perform pretty well, so good luck :). Its definitely worth applying

Anyone else get the email stating apps are being reviewed?
“Thank you for your continued patience throughout the review process. This email is to provide an update on your status. Your application is advancing in the process and will receive a thorough and fair review by the Admissions Committee.”

“Thank you for your continued patience throughout the review process. This email is to provide an update on your status. Your application is advancing in the process and will receive a thorough and fair review by the Admissions Committee.”
I got that. It was about 2 weeks ago though.

How did they know?
You had to list medications and medical conditions on your secondary. I know they do a physical when you interview, but I’m assuming no one is at that stage since there hasn’t been any postings here.

+1 Received this morning

You had to list medications and medical conditions on your secondary. I know they do a physical when you interview, but I’m assuming no one is at that stage since there hasn’t been any postings here.
****, so it is time to start working out and making sure I am in shape?

****, so it is time to start working out and making sure I am in shape?
😂💀 I think the physical is just a check from a DoD physician. You’ll have to meet the physical requirements of your branch though, so if you need to train for that now may be a good time.

If you recently passed the MEPS physical for HPSP, would you still need to get a separate physical for USUHS?

Applied to USUHS last year and it is my first choice this year as well. I was waitlisted last year after a late interview. This year I was given the processing email by 7/11 and submitted on day 1 and was verified early June which is magnitudes better than last year when I received the same email in the middle of August. Here's to better luck this time.

If you recently passed the MEPS physical for HPSP, would you still need to get a separate physical for USUHS?
Yes, MEPS and the DoDmrb are two different things. DoDmrb is much less intuitive and it will mimic a primary care visit in a way.

😂💀 I think the physical is just a check from a DoD physician. You’ll have to meet the physical requirements of your branch though, so if you need to train for that now may be a good time.
I do believe you always need to adhere to the army medical requirements. I think weight will be one of the hardest things to meet (I was in a tough situation but was able to make weight and have since committed myself to a much healthier lifestyle). Also try to avoid medicating. If you have a history of it, you would need to report but being dependent on ADD/ADHD medication specifically will make any career in the military very difficult for you. Same thing with asthma and some allergies.

How strict do they screen for GPA, for us low GPA high MCAT folks, and if they screen any advice on getting around it?

I do believe you always need to adhere to the army medical requirements. I think weight will be one of the hardest things to meet (I was in a tough situation but was able to make weight and have since committed myself to a much healthier lifestyle). Also try to avoid medicating. If you have a history of it, you would need to report but being dependent on ADD/ADHD medication specifically will make any career in the military very difficult for you. Same thing with asthma and some allergies.
What is the weight you need to make?

How strict do they screen for GPA, for us low GPA high MCAT folks, and if they screen any advice on getting around it?

Per their website.

"The lowest cumulative GPAs accepted is 3.0.

We recommend post-baccalaureate or graduate work to improve a significantly below-average GPA. Many colleges and universities offer such programs to strengthen your candidacy for medical school. We recommend accumulating 25-30 additional credit hours when participating in such a program.

Unless you earned a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in a Post-Bacc or Master’s Program your application will be automatically withdrawn."

If you have a low GPA, do at least 30 credit hours of post-bacc work to show reinvention. They care about GPA more than MCAT scores, but they have a rather holistic review of applications and are very lenient/understanding of certain requirements.

Applied to USUHS last year and it is my first choice this year as well. I was waitlisted last year after a late interview. This year I was given the processing email by 7/11 and submitted on day 1 and was verified early June which is magnitudes better than last year when I received the same email in the middle of August. Here's to better luck this time.
Hey there, when was your application complete last year? My application was just completed today (was unfortunately waiting on an LOR) and i'm worried i'm too late.