Univ of Louisville Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone apply for the '04 entering class? I just wanted to know what you guys think about the school and if there are some specific things I should know about it. I haven't heard any mention of the school except in the interview feedback forum. thanks for the feedback!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

nobody wants to talk to me?? :(

A little impatient aren't you? ;) I liked U of L considerably better than my state school and will be attending this coming fall. Do you have any more specific questions? I'll be glad to share with you what I know which is admittedly little.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes when they run low on patients, they send some horses over from the race track. You get to shoot them out back and study them for anatomy lab. It's pretty cool, actually.

But in all seriousness, j, I take it you were out-of-state (or just not a big fan of UK)? Any significant ties to Kentucky? In-state tuition after a year? Cary-carrying member of the NRA?

Louisville is a cool city :D

Yes I'm an out-of-stater. Truth be told, although I was more impressed with U of L, I still would have attended my state school if they had accepted me (very cheap tuition). No real strong ties to KY, but my wife has a good job waiting for her in Louisville which is what prompted me to apply there in the first place. Unfortunately in-state tuition is not granted if you are admitted as an out-of-state resident. Oh yeah and the horse lab is fantastic! :D

what state are u from j?

I'm from the west coast.

thanks j121212!! yes I would like some more information. what are the living conditions like(cost, location and weather)? how was your interview and did you get to do a tour before or after you interviewed? are you serious about the horses????? I'm not really sure what to ask at this point, but I would like to know the usual stuff like info about curriculum, first 2 years, the type of people you think they accept, and tuition. I'm sorry if I seemed impatient, but you guys usually answer quicker than this. ;) thanks for the input guys, that's why I love SDN.... :love: :love:

hello! just thought the thread needed a boost just in case someone wanted to add more remarks! :D

First off I don't feel to qualified to act as authority on U of L, but I'll try to answer some of your questions. A lot of your questions could be answered by surfing the U of L website. Well as far as questions about cost of living etc., I'm not a very good resource (I'm out-of-state). In fact I'm leaving tomorrow for a couple of days to find an apartment. So maybe I'll be able to shed more light on this when I return. Just PM me. The curriculum looks to be very traditional and a breakdown of all four years can be found at this address,

http://www.louisville.edu/medschool/curr/schematic.htm

I was impressed with the emphasis that U of L places on clinical education and the resources available to students in this area such as the standardized patient program and the simulated patient program. This emphasis shows through on their 100% pass rate on Step II. I was also very impressed with U of L's matchlist which can also be found on the website. As far as tuition goes I don't know about in-state, but out-of-state is outrageous ($36,000 to $38,000 :eek: ). I don't know what U of L's ideal applicant is but the average GPA is 3.6 and MCAT is 28. If you are out-of-state like me your numbers should be a little higher or you should have ties to KY (or both) since they have over 900 applicants for 27 out-of-state spots. I'll talk to you when I get back. :D

UK's in-state tuition was roughly $15,500 for the 2004 year.....however they just voted to raise tuition for the 2005 year to around $18,000 (not sure about out-of-state...im guessing about $30,000+).....I'm not sure if UL has had any recent increases, but both schools had nearly identical in-state tuition costs for 2004. As for UK, I do know that if you are out of state, you must have a minimum 30 MCAT to receive a secondary (not sure about the GPA). Also, while taking a tour of UL, I was informed that for the MCAT at UL, any individual section score of less than 8 waves a quote "big red flag" to the adcom.

Also, I think UK has a total of about 93 seats a year while UL has 159 or so.

thanks for the info guys!! I'll look forward to talking to you j121212 when you return and thanks for the link!! they seem to be really expensive, but that's not something I'm going to worry about I'll still apply. :thumbup:

I interviewed at UofL and absolutely loved it! Great school, really nice students, and a generally cool city. The only problem was that when you get accepted they make you sign a form saying that you will pay out-of-state tuition all four years, even if you declare in-state residency. I loved the school (especially the patient simulators) but the cost was just to high in comparison to my state school!!!

h2cooper are you serious? they make you sign that thing? so that means you can keep, or should I say might as well keep your residency the same. that is so rediculous, but I guess business is business! :confused: