2023-2024 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Louisville Secondary Prompts

1. Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine? (500 char)

2. List the individuals who are providing letters of recommendation as a component of your complete secondary application (for example, Committee letter/institution name, Professor Smith/academic subject, etc.) The letter of recommendation policy can be found by copying and pasting the following URL into your browser Submit Letters of Recommendation — School of Medicine University of Louisville. (500 char)

3. Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community. (1000 char)

4. What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you? (1000 char)

5. Academic productivity and the ability to engage in extracurricular achievements can be impacted by a number of challenges. For example, students who come from rural areas, who held regular employment during college years, or who are the first in their families to graduate from college may not have the same access to opportunities and support as students from other environments. Adversity can shape both the person you are and what you have to offer your future classmates, colleagues and patients. Please describe any challenges that you consider significant in your lived experience. (500 char)

6. The University of Louisville School of Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of our patients and the diverse communities we serve through excellence and leadership in education, patient care, research and community engagement. Describe how your life experiences and personal attributes prepare you to provide excellent and equitable care to diverse patient populations. (500 char)

7. List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application. (500 char)

8. Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians. (500 char)

9. Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location). (500 char)

10. If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle? (250 char)

11. If you are not a Kentucky resident, please explain any personal or familial ties to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If you are a Kentucky resident type "Not Applicable" in the text box below. (500 char)

12. Please list each place of permanent residence, beginning from birth, including the City, County, State, years in residence, and estimated population size. (1000 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received 7/7. Questions:
  • Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine? (500)
  • Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community. (1000)
  • What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you? (1000)
  • Academic productivity and the ability to engage in extracurricular achievements can be impacted by a number of challenges. For example, students who come from rural areas, who held regular employment during college years, or who are the first in their families to graduate from college may not have the same access to opportunities and support as students from other environments. Adversity can shape both the person you are and what you have to offer your future classmates, colleagues and patients. Please describe any challenges that you consider significant in your lived experience. (500)
  • The University of Louisville School of Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of our patients and the diverse communities we serve through excellence and leadership in education, patient care, research and community engagement. Describe how your life experiences and personal attributes prepare you to provide excellent and equitable care to diverse patient populations. (500)
  • List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application. (500)
  • Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians. (500)
  • Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location). (500)
  • If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle? (250)
@chilly_md

Reactions: 1 users
anyone else had payment declined for this app? i’ve tried multiple cards and different browsers

I haven't gotten the secondary yet but definitely character. Multiple 1000-word counts would be ridiculous.
I do remember Nova MD having 4000 character limits for several questions, so you never can tell. Especially if they just give a high limit to let applicants decide for themselves how much is appropriate to write.

I do remember Nova MD having 4000 character limits for several questions, so you never can tell. Especially if they just give a high limit to let applicants decide for themselves how much is appropriate to write.
In the past UofL has done 500 character and 1000 character responses so I doubt they'd change it up.

We would appreciate it if other posters would confirm the prompts as there have been some issues with incomplete or outdated details being provided in other threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Secondary received today. Just for clarification, I will post all the essay prompts I have. There are also yes or no questions (are you a resident of Kentucky, are you a reapplicant etc.).

Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine? (500 characters)

List the individuals who are providing letters of recommendation as a component of your complete secondary application (for example, Committee letter/institution name, Professor Smith/academic subject, etc.) The letter of recommendation policy can be found by copying and pasting the following URL into your browser Submit Letters of Recommendation — School of Medicine University of Louisville. (500 characters)

Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community. (1000 characters)

What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you? (1000 characters)

Academic productivity and the ability to engage in extracurricular achievements can be impacted by a number of challenges. For example, students who come from rural areas, who held regular employment during college years, or who are the first in their families to graduate from college may not have the same access to opportunities and support as students from other environments. Adversity can shape both the person you are and what you have to offer your future classmates, colleagues and patients. Please describe any challenges that you consider significant in your lived experience. (500 characters)

The University of Louisville School of Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of our patients and the diverse communities we serve through excellence and leadership in education, patient care, research and community engagement. Describe how your life experiences and personal attributes prepare you to provide excellent and equitable care to diverse patient populations. (500 characters)

List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application. (500 characters)

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians. (500 characters)

Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location). (500 characters)

If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle? (250 characters)

If you are not a Kentucky resident, please explain any personal or familial ties to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If you are a Kentucky resident type "Not Applicable" in the text box below. (500 characters)

Please list each place of permanent residence, beginning from birth, including the City, County, State, years in residence, and estimated population size. (1000 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Got an email saying my application is now complete and in a pool of applicants being considered for interview. Seems generic enough, but I'm hopeful that things are moving along!

Is there a thread that tracks when people start receiving interviews? Or does that just happen on this thread?

Reactions: 1 user
Is it worth applying to this school as an OOS student with no ties? They have a question specifically about ties to the state.

Is it worth applying to this school as an OOS student with no ties? They have a question specifically about ties to the state.
I applied initially after seeing 25% OOS seats, but after doing a double take on MSAR, being an ORM with no ties I would not finish the secondary.
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 2.16.32 PM.png

Interesting note, it does look like I got through the initial secondary screen.
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 2.16.52 PM.png

I applied initially after seeing 25% OOS seats, but after doing a double take on MSAR, being an ORM with no ties I would not finish the secondary.
View attachment 374972

Interesting note, it does look like I got through the initial secondary screen.
View attachment 374973
Yeah I got passed the initial screen too but I don't have any ties to the school either. I think they just want our secondary money tbh.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I got passed the initial screen too but I don't have any ties to the school either. I think they just want our secondary money tbh.
After seeing that they screen OOS for URM or strong ties, I am not going to complete the secondary...

Also, ridiculous character count requirements for such an introspective questions. Answering the why/how/connecting that to traits most needed by physicians?
Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians. (500)

Submitted my secondary 7/28 anyone heard about interviews and submitted around then or after me ??