univ of minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello vinita,
ray is right!it is better to send ur resume with ur application! alwayzz!
ray_friends1 said:
now, dont feel bad for my sarcasm. sometimes you people are too much :)
a) its a choice- either send it or dont send it.
b) resume is not "only" what u did in ur BDS - thats a CV! resume is write down all the relevant things in a systematic manner of whetever u have done (education briefly and post that- work exp, PG, volunteer in NGO's etc)

Members don't see this ad.

prady said:
hello vinita,
ray is right!it is better to send ur resume with ur application! alwayzz!

hi prady and ray,
thanx ,now i am going to make my resume.seriouly it 's gonna be difficult for me .

vinita said:
hi prady and ray,
thanx ,now i am going to make my resume.seriouly it 's gonna be difficult for me .
Do you have one ? If you don't, I can give some pointers. I'd be glad to help.
FYI: Although the words C.V. and resume' are often used interchangeably, resume' is more of an account of your job history; ie: for a job application, while C.V. is more likely to enclose details of ones education, certificates, degrees, training AND jobs/employment.
Resume': A brief account of one's professional or work experience and qualifications, often submitted with an employment application.
C.V. (Curriculum Vitae): A summary of one's education, professional history, and job qualifications, as for a prospective employer.
I got the definitions from Dictionary.com.
I applied to Minnesota too and have submitted a C.V., which I advise you to do, even though they give you the option not to.
Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Members don't see this ad :)
prady said:
i guess itz good enough,as they have not set up any pre-requisites!go ahead and apply!all the best!
thanx budd

Hi,
congrats! can you please post ur stats.

doc12 said:
hi,
I received a interview call today from Minnesota, scheduled on 16 feb.
has anyone else received a call??

Hey Doc 12,
Congrats on the call! :thumbup:
Can you post your stats and also any details regarding the type of interview - panel interview/ any dexterity test/ anything that they informed you regarding the interview??
Thanks and good luck!
Does anyone know how many students they are calling and how many seats for the UMN PASS program?? :idea:
gn :luck:

doc12 said:
hi,

hi,
my stats
NBDE-
GPA-3.88
I dont have any idea about the interview .will keep u posted incase i receive any info.
THANX

UMN PASS program website has all the information.
Look under FAQ's.
There is no clinical test and final intake is less than 10 students this year.
Good luck.

doc12 said:
hi,
my stats
NBDE-90
GPA-3.88
I dont have any idea about the interview .will keep u posted incase i receive any info.
THANX

ray_friends1 said:
UMN PASS program website has all the information.
Look under FAQ's.
There is no clinical test and final intake is less than 10 students this year.
Good luck.
hey,
THANX a lot.I greatly appreciate ur help.

congrats dude!all the best for the interview! :thumbup: i'm still waiting ....did u get a call from upenn?
doc12 said:
hi,

Members don't see this ad :)
doc12 said:
hi,

Hey
congrats for the call... when did you apply?

prady said:
congrats dude!all the best for the interview! :thumbup: i'm still waiting ....did u get a call from upenn?
hi,
i missed out the deadline for UPeNN as i did not receive my Toefl score. :(
well, best wishes for ur interview. :thumbup:

doc12 said:
hi,
i missed out the deadline for UPeNN as i did not receive my Toefl score. :(
well, best wishes for ur interview. :thumbup:

Hi doc12
Good luck to u.
Cld u pls tell me ur stats. And also how much experience do u have.
Thanks

Docnids said:
Hi doc12
Good luck to u.
Cld u pls tell me ur stats. And also how much experience do u have.
Thanks

hi,
THANX.. i have a 3 yr experience back home.

hi doc12-
first of all congrats on the call.
can you tell us how they reached you? Phone or Email or Postal mail.
will appreciate it.
thanks,
MMNdentist

doc12 said:
hi,
my stats
NBDE-
GPA-3.88
THANX

antigen said:
hi guys ,
I was wondering if anybody has applied to university of minnesota .
regards
antigen
Hey antigen

I'm getting ready for the NBDE 1 but I'm planing on trying to get my license by just taking advantage of the Minessota Law that allows Interantionally educated dental graduates to apply for MN licensing.

I've noticed that you guys mentioned about this 2 year program.....How does that work.....tell me more about it....

Thanks,

:confused:
Hi all
Pls suggest me. I want to go to india for 2 months (atleast) since m going after many yrs. Currently m not enrolled in any school. Ive applied to UMN and u colorado. My problem is that if i go now in feb, wot if UMN calls me for interview. there program starts in may so they might call till march or april.
So till april i just have to wait. If i get accepted at UMN again i can not go then.(there program will start)
But if i dont get selected then after april i can go.
Again have to wait for U colorado for there interview which might go on till august.
If i make through u colorado then i have time to go. But if in that too i dont get selected i will have to apply for 2007 session of california schools and retake my part 1.
So i am just confused when to go. I miss my family and want to visit them. :(

SDN has been great source for help.
So pls suggest me anything.

I got a reject by email this morning.
:-(

Gaura Nitai said:
Hey guys!

Anyone heard anything from minnesota?? :idea:
Good Luck

I got the rejection too. May be they don't want the applicants for interveiw who have score below 90. My score is 87, and toefl 260,

ray_friends1 said:

Hi Ray_friends1

Sorry, to hear of your rejection. Don't lose hope. Just keep on trying.
By the way, could you please post your stats? I'm going to apply for it soon, after taking Part I in Feb. and just want to know of my chance of getting in. Thanks.

NileBDS said:
Hey everyone. Does anyone know what a 2.9 ECE GPA would roughly translate to in WES GPAs ?
Thanks.
Best of luck to all !

Hey Nile... there is no literal translation of scores from ece and wes.. the only difference between them is that ece considers the number of fails or attempts in subject where as the WES does not..
So individually it still depends on your course by course score.
So 2.9 can be 3.5 or 3.6 or anything around that...

All the best. :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, i guess i might get a WES eval. anyways ... never know when it might come in handy (and look better doing it).
Thanks budy.

hey ray
when did you apply to umn-pass?
and kindly can tell me your stats..
so till now only one applicant has been called?..doc12?.. :confused:
good luck
gn

ray_friends1 said:

as far as i know they have already conducted one interview session and that was on ,i guess jan 13(they might have conducted more after that).There were 4 candidates in that session and one had less than 90 for sure(dont know the exact stats,but that candidate had a gpa of abt 3.7).i came to know abt this through a friend.
I also happened to talk to Dr.Berthold abt the scores couple of weeks back and he said that they look into ur overall aplication, just not the scores,so everything is open for us to speculate....

damast said:
as far as i know they have already conducted one interview session and that was on ,i guess jan 13(they might have conducted more after that).There were 4 candidates in that session and one had less than 90 for sure(dont know the exact stats,but that candidate had a gpa of abt 3.7).i came to know abt this through a friend.
I also happened to talk to Dr.Berthold abt the scores couple of weeks back and he said that they look into ur overall aplication, just not the scores,so everything is open for us to speculate....

Yep, that's what he told me as well back in December.

just now got a rejection letter in mail.Applied in 2nd week of jan.
good luck to others who have been selected for interview and who r gona apply.

hi stelon,and ray friends,
sorry to hear abtout your rejection from UMN,can you please mentino your work exp and visa status, that will help many who are waiting........please do reply......thanks

Hi damast, they are telling that rejected application will remain active and they will contact in future for the interview, but this is just to feel not to depress. and they will never call back for interview. what do you think so? because seats are very low- around 10 seats. I hope they will call again, keep finger crossed.

hi stelon
i also feel that they didnt want to depress us.but as far as them callin us again for interview, this might only happen in a scenario if someone decline to accept their interview offer or to join umn after being successfully accepted.I feel that i acted in a haste in applying to umn with low scores(i have an 85), should have applied there with better score and could have had a chance for interview then.But this is life, have to take some risks...anyway,giving part 1 again in feb end.
stelon said:
Hi damast, they are telling that rejected application will remain active and they will contact in future for the interview, but this is just to feel not to depress. and they will never call back for interview. what do you think so? because seats are very low- around 10 seats. I hope they will call again, keep finger crossed.

Hi there ,
could any body tell what chances hold for 88 part1,gpa 3.7? honestly,does this status should go ahead to apply umn ??what all other schools can be applied? suggestions would b appreciated.

NBDE-I=85
NBDE-II=84
ECE GPA=3.5, WES = 3.75
TOEFL=287
2+ yrs in India
7 months DA exp in US
I also attended a conference in Singapore.
:)
will retake part-I and apply next year. Thats the only thing I can work on now.
Good luck folks.

godbless said:
hi stelon,and ray friends,
sorry to hear abtout your rejection from UMN,can you please mentino your work exp and visa status, that will help many who are waiting........please do reply......thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a rejection letter in the mail today from UMN. It had the same stuff written as what was mentioned in the previous posts. "We regret to inform you...."we will still keep your application on file" (to give you false hopes)...."thank you for the money order..."maybe you should call Ajmeri Baba". Ok, the last two quotes were not written. Anyway, best of luck to those of you still waiting. See you guys/gals at NYU (hopefully).

Desi-Dentist said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a rejection letter in the mail today from UMN. It had the same stuff written as what was mentioned in the previous posts. "We regret to inform you...."we will still keep your application on file" (to give you false hopes)...."thank you for the money order..."maybe you should call Ajmeri Baba". Ok, the last two quotes were not written. Anyway, best of luck to those of you still waiting. See you guys/gals at NYU (hopefully).
Hi,
Can you post your score plz.
Thanks

Desi-Dentist said:
NDB1 - 88
GPA - 3.6

Hey Desi-dentist

Sorry to hear of your rejection. Wish you all the best for NYU. :)

Desi-Dentist said:
Thats a good one ajmeri baba................. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
By the way when did u apply. I am applying this week and the earlier i get rejection the better it is for me.I can plan my vacation accordingly :laugh:
Do u have work experience. Just like upenn they might see that.
Good luck for nyu :thumbup:

I will give them this much. They sent out the rejection very quickly. It is like they wanted to rush my refusal. :rolleyes: When I saw their envelope, I actually expected good news, since I only applied 3 weeks earlier. I am not sure what their criteria is. Since they may have a similar process to UPenn, it means that their criteria is unknown to all and we can just gossip and speculate. What I have heard is that, unlike UPenn, they are not calling many people for interviews, and the class size is very small (8-10). All I can guess is that if you have under 90 NDB1, and less experience, you can plan that vacation early, but this is just speculation. Have you applied to NYU Docnids?

Docnids said:
Thats a good one ajmeri baba................. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
By the way when did u apply. I am applying this week and the earlier i get rejection the better it is for me.I can plan my vacation accordingly :laugh:
Do u have work experience. Just like upenn they might see that.
Good luck for nyu :thumbup:

Desi-Dentist said:
I will give them this much. They sent out the rejection very quickly. It is like they wanted to rush my refusal. :rolleyes: When I saw their envelope, I actually expected good news, since I only applied 3 weeks earlier. I am not sure what their criteria is. Since they may have a similar process to UPenn, it means that their criteria is unknown to all and we can just gossip and speculate. What I have heard is that, unlike UPenn, they are not calling many people for interviews, and the class size is very small (8-10). All I can guess is that if you have under 90 NDB1, and less experience, you can plan that vacation early, but this is just speculation. Have you applied to NYU Docnids?

Oh ya i did apply there. Who doesnt? Jiska koi nahi uska NYU hai.... :laugh: :laugh:
But i dont think so ill go there as i dont want to increase my financial debt by 100k extra.
Rather i retake part 1 and go to BU. Sure i think so i can plan my vacation bcoz i fit their crietria under 90 and less experience.
In cashing checks they are so fast. :mad:

Sometimes I find it surprising when people want to defer or not go to NYU because of the extra year or money. I know the money difference is significant, but I have met people who regretted not joining NYU in the hopes of gaining admission elsewhere the following year. If it does not work out elsewhere, then they are stuck. Think twice before ignoring NYU. Keep another thing in mind, NYU offers perhaps the best clinical experience. The training is second to none, and the patient pool is substantial. The investment in NYU may be worth it at the end.

Docnids said:
Oh ya i did apply there. Who doesnt? Jiska koi nahi uska NYU hai.... :laugh: :laugh:
But i dont think so ill go there as i dont want to increase my financial debt by 100k extra.
Rather i retake part 1 and go to BU. Sure i think so i can plan my vacation bcoz i fit their crietria under 90 and less experience.

prady said:
what??got a rejection letter with a score of 88? :eek: what can i say?? :confused: :confused:

Quite opposed to what the colleges do, you all give a lot of significance to your NBDE I scores. Find out what could be the other reasons for the rejections coz if you don't know that, you will never improve upon it. A score of 84 or 85 is as good as 88 or 89 as long as the overall package has been presented properly.

It's no joke when we are being so optimistic, but we have to face with so many rejections.

Docnids said:
mera tou NYU bhi nahin........coz i have 85 in part one and 2.05 ece gpa.......and people say they will not take below 3 gpa.........kahaan jaaaon? :confused: :( :scared:

Abhi bhi kuch bhi ho sakta hai. Don't worry :)

godbless said:
mera tou NYU bhi nahin........coz i have 85 in part one and 2.05 ece gpa.......and people say they will not take below 3 gpa.........kahaan jaaaon? :confused: :( :scared:

Desi-Dentist said:
Abhi bhi kuch bhi ho sakta hai. Don't worry :)
what can happen now,..........NYU wants higher gpa, and from this year on they dunt take wes, thanks to my luck...........UMN rejecting people with 88...........i hav only 85.......... :scared: and desidentist doesnt reply

I did reply, check you pm :)

godbless said:
what can happen now,..........NYU wants higher gpa, and from this year on they dunt take wes, thanks to my luck...........UMN rejecting people with 88...........i hav only 85.......... :scared: and desidentist doesnt reply

Well, As the information of NYU we have, I don't agree with the criteria, they will definately call the applicants, who have ece below 3.0 but part-I 85 or above, and also the applicants who have ece above 3.0 but part-I below 85 ( not too low) and they will not see only these criteria, but also other factors like experience and others. This is what I believe, and be optimistic, keep finger crossed. Because we should not compare the UMN (who have only 8-10 seats) to NYU ( who 120 seats or so). And should not worry till we didn't get the interview call. Be positive guys. :thumbup: