univ of minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi guys! am new to SDN.the network is really gr8.
didnt know that UMN has PASS program till now.
have applied to UPENN, BU,and NYU.and so far got interview call from UPENN.please tell me more abt admission prcs in UMN

Members don't see this ad.

hi poppey,
u r mistaken...!i haven't received anything from UMN yet!i was reacting to the posts where people stated that people with a 88 score received a rejection already!
poppey said:
Quite opposed to what the colleges do, you all give a lot of significance to your NBDE I scores. Find out what could be the other reasons for the rejections coz if you don't know that, you will never improve upon it. A score of 84 or 85 is as good as 88 or 89 as long as the overall package has been presented properly.

It's no joke when we are being so optimistic, but we have to face with so many rejections.

godbless said:
mera tou NYU bhi nahin........coz i have 85 in part one and 2.05 ece gpa.......and people say they will not take below 3 gpa.........kahaan jaaaon? :confused: :( :scared:

hey Dont worry.
All will be right. Wait for nyu call.
Also till then dont waste time but start for part 1. Its always good to keep back up. :thumbup:
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Prady,

That wasn't specific to anyone. I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was replying just to you. But my point is, that even those people who got a rejection with 88 or 90 should do little retrospection of why they got rejections. Just talking about taking a cautious approach. As such, I don't want to give unwanted advise.

Good luck guys. Hope you all come out with flying colors.

itz ok!no problemo!no need to apologise!take it easy!
chill
prady!
poppey said:
Prady,

That wasn't specific to anyone. I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was replying just to you. But my point is, that even those people who got a rejection with 88 or 90 should do little retrospection of why they got rejections. Just talking about taking a cautious approach. As such, I don't want to give unwanted advise.

Good luck guys. Hope you all come out with flying colors.

All:

Since I thought that it would be an abrupt ending to my responses, here are some of the things that you need to consider

1)If you have low g.p.a., that's not the end of the world. Make sure you have a very valid reason to support the argument for having a low g.p.a.

2)When submitting the application packages, make sure that you have presented all traits of being a complete dentist. These traits may involve willingness to help others, knowledgeable about the present day activities...(a lot to talk about)

3)When in interview, make sure that you are willing to listen to others. I guess someone in the past had listed a lot of interview questions. Please go through it and make sure you you have thoroughly prepared your response to prove that you are indeed a professional. Just being good is not good enough. In interviews, you have to stand out from others , and make the professors realize that you are worthy of getting into the school.

Again, this is just the iota of things that you need to work on. NBDE is just a small part of it.

-poppey

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

I have a query about UMN application.
On page 4 its written education, dental, post graduate training.
I did my graduation and internship from 2 different colleges.
So where shld i write about internship. Is it in post graduate training.

I know i did not do PG but it is asked about training. Pls reply............

Also wot wld be graduation date? The one on which i passed my final year and got certificate, One on which i completed my intern
or the one on which convocation was held and degree given.

Please someone reply.
i have to fill application today only.

Thanks in advance

bump :confused: :confused:

seems like no one knows the answer or they dont want me to send application :(

smilepls said:
I have a query about UMN application.
On page 4 its written education, dental, post graduate training.
I did my graduation and internship from 2 different colleges.
So where shld i write about internship. Is it in post graduate training.

I know i did not do PG but it is asked about training. Pls reply............

Also wot wld be graduation date? The one on which i passed my final year and got certificate, One on which i completed my intern
or the one on which convocation was held and degree given.

Please someone reply.
i have to fill application today only.

Thanks in advance

Hey smilepls

Don't feel bad. I"m not sure where you would write about your internship, although I don't think it's part of the post-graduate training. I think it's a part of your undergraduate dental training, but I could be wrong. The best way is to call the Univ. of Minnesota up and ask them.

With regards to your second part, I would write down the date on which the convocation took place and the degree certificate given. I'm not sure about your degree certificate, but on mine, the date on which it was given to me was written the certificate itself. I'd go with that date. Hope that helps.

smilepls said:
bump :confused: :confused:

seems like no one knows the answer or they dont want me to send application :(

Hey,
abt the graduation date,i think u shld write the date that is mentioned in the degree ex: summer 1999 (internship is a part of the degree,)or whatever,and rgd the training u sholud mention internship,but its not pg.
hope this helps:)

aquafresh said:
Hey,
abt the graduation date,i think u shld write the date that is mentioned in the degree ex: summer 1999 (internship is a part of the degree,)or whatever,and rgd the training u sholud mention internship,but its not pg.
hope this helps:)

Thank you cheerup and acquafresh. I admire ur generosity.
Thanks for helping me.

smilepls said:
Thank you cheerup and acquafresh. I admire ur generosity.
Thanks for helping me.

You're very welcome. All the best with your application :)

i applied for minn as well, i got an acknowledgement for the application,

Members don't see this ad :)
got an interview call from minessota,declined it cos i have already accepted upenn offer,anyway good luck buddies

got an interview call from minessota,declined it cos i have already accepted upenn offer,anyway good luck buddies

muberrymolar said:

Could you please let me know your stats?I got 89 and rejection for the interview.

what?r u kidding me?a score of 89 being rejected?jeez...........what r they looking for? :eek:
anvi said:
Could you please let me know your stats?I got 89 and rejection for the interview.

Hi,
How did you GET AN INTERVIEW CALL?DID SHE CALL YOU OR SENT YOU AN E-MAIL?WHATS YOUR STATUS?
THANKS,BYE,PRASAD

muberrymolar said:

Hi .. feeling low... have recieved a rejection letter from UM N ... four of us friends that had applied all have been rejected ..not that we expected much as we all had a average score in and around 83/86... Average GPA was 3.4-3.8
Thought I ll let ou all know that the process of elimination has already begun
All the best to those who are still waiting to hear from them

MilesOfSmiles said:
Hi .. feeling low... have recieved a rejection letter from UM N ... four of us friends that had applied all have been rejected ..not that we expected much as we all had a average score in and around 83/86... Average GPA was 3.4-3.8
Thought I ll let ou all know that the process of elimination has already begun
All the best to those who are still waiting to hear from them

Hey i am sorry to hear about ur rejection. Thats the part of this whole game. So keep up the spirit.
Can u tell me when did u apply at umn and wot date u received the letter. Goodluck

Well, they just cashed my check today, even though I sent in my application almost 3 weeks ago now ... I guess I should expect some response from them soon. Although to be honest, it's not looking that promising, specially for me, just by reading this thread and seeing all the well qualified people here that have been turned down by UMN. It's not that I think that i'm not qualified, just that my scores are in the low 80's.
I'll post it here as soon as I hear anything from them.
Yikes ! :bitting nails:

NileBDS said:
Well, they just cashed my check today, even though I sent in my application almost 3 weeks ago now ... I guess I should expect some response from them soon. Although to be honest, it's not looking that promising, specially for me, just by reading this thread and seeing all the well qualified people here that have been turned down by UMN. It's not that I think that i'm not qualified, just that my scores are in the low 80's.
I'll post it here as soon as I hear anything from them.
Yikes ! :bitting nails:

Hey Sherif

All the best with your application. Hope you'll get good news from them.

cheer_up said:
Hey Sherif

All the best with your application. Hope you'll get good news from them.
Thanks Cheer_up. You're a sweet and sincere person.
Good luck to everyone waiting.
Did you apply there yet ? Have you heard anything from them ?
I called Janet today, at the admission office, and I kind of got the sense from her that she was very very busy, and overwhelmed with the number of applications which she has received so far (and still is). I guess that says something about the application pool this year. Also she saod that she would try and figure out a better way to cope with all the applications next year.
Anyways, to make a long story short, I think that frankly they don't have time to interview that many people this year. My guess is if you get an interview letter it means that you're pretty much in, that is if you show up for your interview and say the right things. I suppose that's the reason why many posters with great scores are being turned down so early. No time to interview them. That still doens't mean that anyone with lower scores should expect an automatic rejection, as it is in my belief, that they see beyond scores in your application.
Ok, good luck everyone, and don't be surprised if I post my rejection letter tommorrow. LOL :laugh:

After reading this posts, I might as well prepare my self.. I just mailed my application today :scared: ...

Janet had emailed back in late December and informed about the new PASS program.. and asked me to submit my application.. I was hesitant to do so.. I had applied to their AEGD program last summer , but they canceled the whole program. I was truly dissapointed.

My nbde score is less than 84 while my toefl is 290 my gba by ECE is 2.9 . I might as well do a wes one now and apply to other university. About my training/practice I did some in the military division of war victims and the other did it in rural outreach program ( total 3 years ), but is not enough I guess. I already applied to Upenn but no answer yet-hummm.

I am going to repeate the NBDE test, but I am that kind of person who can do well orally than written test and it sucks BIG TIME :mad:

Well wish me luck.. I will post the date I receive the letter.. :p

NileBDS said:
Thanks Cheer_up. You're a sweet and sincere person.
Good luck to everyone waiting.
Did you apply there yet ? Have you heard anything from them ?
I called Janet today, at the admission office, and I kind of got the sense from her that she was very very busy, and overwhelmed with the number of applications which she has received so far (and still is). I guess that says something about the application pool this year. Also she saod that she would try and figure out a better way to cope with all the applications next year.
Anyways, to make a long story short, I think that frankly they don't have time to interview that many people this year. My guess is if you get an interview letter it means that you're pretty much in, that is if you show up for your interview and say the right things. I suppose that's the reason why many posters with great scores are being turned down so early. No time to interview them. That still doens't mean that anyone with lower scores should expect an automatic rejection, as it is in my belief, that they see beyond scores in your application.
Ok, good luck everyone, and don't be surprised if I post my rejection letter tommorrow. LOL :laugh:

Hey Sherif

No, I haven't applied yet. I'll be taking Part I exam soon, on Feb 20. So I've been busy studying for that. I'll apply after taking the exam. But I don't feel too good about this as a lot of people have been rejected so far with scores below 90. I don't think I'll get a 90 due to my unprepareness, but I'm still going to apply anyway because, like you, I hope they'll look at the overall package and not just my score. Plus, I believe in miracles and hopefully, God will answer my prayer this time :D. UMN is my last and only hope for this year's entrance class. So we'll see. In the meantime, let's keep and our fingers and toes crossed, shall we? :p

Hey HIM0098

Best of luck to you. You did the right thing by applying as you never know what will happen unless you give it a shot and try. I've heard of people with lower score got accepted whereas others with a higher score didn't although not at UMN. So you know, it's hard to predict the outcome of one's application.
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do better on your retake. You suck big time on written tests?... yeah, tell me about it....you're not the only one :D

HIM0098 said:
After reading this posts, I might as well prepare my self.. I just mailed my application today :scared: ...

Janet had emailed back in late December and informed about the new PASS program.. and asked me to submit my application.. I was hesitant to do so.. I had applied to their AEGD program last summer , but they canceled the whole program. I was truly dissapointed.

My nbde score is less than 84 while my toefl is 290 my gba by ECE is 2.9 . I might as well do a wes one now and apply to other university. About my training/practice I did some in the military division of war victims and the other did it in rural outreach program ( total 3 years ), but is not enough I guess. I already applied to Upenn but no answer yet-hummm.

I am going to repeate the NBDE test, but I am that kind of person who can do well orally than written test and it sucks BIG TIME :mad:

Hey HIM0098 ... I'm Sherif.
Listen, I guess we are in the same boat in regards to stats, the only difference is that I worked as a dental assistant in the US for a little over 3 years now, and have completed part 2 already. Anyways, hang in there ! I am thinking of retaking part 1 also, just because I think it's dragging my application and holding me back. I mean I have been to several interviews and put on the waitlist at other schools with my "not so competitive" part 1 score. So I hope that if I get a better score, it will give me a well needed boost.
Alright, nice meeting you, and I'll post their response whenever I receive it. It should give you and idea.
Good luck.

hi guys,
i have an interview on feb 28th.my status is 92 267 and 3.36 in wes.this is my hope as i got a very low gpa in ece 2.26 and nyu said they won,t even call people with low gpa though i got a good score.
wish me luck,bye

nprasad said:
hi guys,
i have an interview on feb 28th.my status is 92 267 and 3.36 in wes.this is my hope as i got a very low gpa in ece 2.26 and nyu said they won,t even call people with low gpa though i got a good score.
wish me luck,bye

Hey nprasad

Congratulations :thumbup: . All the best with your interview.

nprasad said:
hi guys,
wish me luck,bye

Congratulations!!! :) and Good Luck with the interview!! :thumbup:

NileBDS said:
Hey HIM0098 ... I'm Sherif.
Listen, I guess we are in the same boat in regards to stats, the only difference is that I worked as a dental assistant in the US for a little over 3 years now, and have completed part 2 already. Anyways, hang in there ! I am thinking of retaking part 1 also, just because I think it's dragging my application and holding me back. I mean I have been to several interviews and put on the waitlist at other schools with my "not so competitive" part 1 score. So I hope that if I get a better score, it will give me a well needed boost.
Alright, nice meeting you, and I'll post their response whenever I receive it. It should give you and idea.
Good luck.

Thank you sherif. I will do the same too. and good luck.
and thank you too cheer_up, your nick truly suit you...

hi there,
congrats buddy!all the best for the interview!did u receive ur interview call by fed-ex/e-mail/ordinary post?
kindly let us know...
btw,impressive stats,buddy!
thanks in adv.
prady!
nprasad said:
hi guys,
wish me luck,bye

nprasad said:
hi guys,
wish me luck,bye
The wheels of UMN are turning finally !
Great job NPR ! Great effort on part 1 too !
I was just wondering, which GPA report did you send, the ECE or WES ?
Alright buddy, best of luck @ the interview. Show them what you're made of ... :)

Docnids said:
Hey i am sorry to hear about ur rejection. Thats the part of this whole game. So keep up the spirit.
Can u tell me when did u apply at umn and wot date u received the letter. Goodluck

had applied on dec 28th probably ...not sure ..sometime around then ..and got the letter a week ago .
strange part is that the lette r that all 4 of us recieved has different wordings ...thought the univ doesnt really bother and sends out a copy of the same to all but seems like UMN has written personally to each candidate

HIM0098 said:

Hey i guess it might hel p to call them and aask about yur current statuson the application ... They seem to be pretty reasonable and are more thanwilling to answering to all queiries... also since you mentione dthey had asked you to join / apply for a program last year ... you coul d remind janet about the email she sent ..
It wont harm to make a call ...can onlyhelp ...!!

hi prady,
thankyou.i got the fedex yesterday.but she called me last week and just e-mailed me that i have an interview on 28th feb.
thanks,bye,prasad
prady said:
hi there,
congrats buddy!all the best for the interview!did u receive ur interview call by fed-ex/e-mail/ordinary post?
kindly let us know...
btw,impressive stats,buddy!
thanks in adv.
prady!

MilesOfSmiles said:
Hey i guess it might hel p to call them and aask about yur current statuson the application ... They seem to be pretty reasonable and are more thanwilling to answering to all queiries... also since you mentione dthey had asked you to join / apply for a program last year ... you coul d remind janet about the email she sent ..
It wont harm to make a call ...can onlyhelp ...!!

Thanks...
I'm gonna call this coming Monday.. I thought I might as well give them a time to read my new application :laugh:

prady said:
hi guyz
got an interview call today!

Hey Prady

That's greeeaaat news, buddy!!!!. All the best with your interview. Go get them, tiger :D :D :luck:

THANKS BUDDY!U HAVE BEEN A CONSTANT SUPPORT THRO'OUT!I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! :)
cheer_up said:
Hey Prady

That's greeeaaat news, buddy!!!!. All the best with your interview. Go get them, tiger :D :D :luck:

hey prady,
CONGRATS and all the best for the interview

prady said:
Anyone Got An Interview On Friday, March 3rd?plz Let Me Know!

hi prady
i too have got a call for 3rd of march. I am waiting for response from BU, was interviewed there yesterday.

Congrats Prady !

Do give your best shot .

All the best.

prady said:
Anyone Got An Interview On Friday, March 3rd?plz Let Me Know!

Janet called me an hour ago.. March 3rd at 8:30 am.. is that the same with you. she mentioned about a package that will be sent on Monday...

Congratulation to you Prady :luck:

HIM0098 said:
Janet called me an hour ago.. March 3rd at 8:30 am.. is that the same with you. she mentioned about a package that will be sent on Monday...

Congratulation to you Prady :luck:

Hey HIM0098

Congratulations :) . All the best with your interview. :luck: Do let us know how it went later.....after you had the interview, that is:D . Hey, it looks like there is a big chance you might not have to retake Part I after all :) . I'm really excited hearing you guys having an interview. Hopefully, the same will happen to me later on. Your interview call is giving me a lot of hope. :p

thanks dude,,!how was the interview at umn?what do i need to prepare for the interview?how many people take ur interview?kindly help....
thanks in adv!
doc12 said:
hey prady,
CONGRATS and all the best for the interview

hey buddy!congrats!how was ur interview at bu?let me know!so....r u attending the umn interview?
plz feel free to contact me at
[email protected]
thanks and waiting for a response soon!
take cate!
32 pearls said:
hi prady
i too have got a call for 3rd of march. I am waiting for response from BU, was interviewed there yesterday.