University Disciplinary Action Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVKE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Just wanna say this first, this isn't a thread where we're gonna bash me for being an unethical person or whatever you may say. I'm human.

Story:
Freshman year, got caught with alcohol in my dorm. I did a university course about alcohol and paid the fine, no legal action. This did not appear on my academic record because if you only have one violation at IU it won't show up, unless you have another violation.

Just the other day, I had a movie streaming on my laptop (on home wifi), paused it and left it in the background. I went to work (researching on campus) and logged into IU secure and got an email notification of a copyright infringement settlement I was being accused of. I took a quiz, attended a seminar on DMCA and copyright stuff and paid the fine.

Here's the deal: so upon E-submitting I had no disciplinary record at my university, however now that I got a second violation, they will both appear. What do I do? Will the academic update allow for updating on the disciplinary action section?

And if you're going to write back with negative comments, you can do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself. I'm already have quite the crappy day. Thanks in advance to anyone with any help and advice, really annoyed that I let something so simple and stupid affect my dental school application.

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost, you'll have to own up to it at some point so prepare for that. Sometimes in the supplementary, you'll be asked about violations. Just be honest. I know it sucks and you're having a bad day, but there's really nothing you can do about. Show integrity! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
First and foremost, you'll have to own up to it at some point so prepare for that. Sometimes in the supplementary, you'll be asked about violations. Just be honest. I know it sucks and you're having a bad day, but there's really nothing you can do about. Show integrity! Good luck!

It's not that I don't want to show it, I really don't mind owning up to it. I'm just curious if the academic update will allow for me to update that disciplinary section and/or whether I'd technically have to disclose the information since it was after I e-submitted. I don't want to get smacked for "lying" about it because I didnt originally include it when I e-submit but in reality it wasn't on my record when I submit my application..

Members don't see this ad :)
It is my understanding that only your grades can be updated on the academic update. Someone else may be able to tell me different though.

Jesus, alcohol and copyright violations. I'm sure the administration at your university don't even remember what you've done. They probably go through 100s of these cases every month.

Your violations are about as bad as parking tickets.

If it's keeping you up and you're a total honest abe you could just call up AADSAS and see what they think.

The Academic Update (AU) does not allow for anything other than entering new coursework and printing transcript request form. This is something you'll need to manually update schools. It would probably be a good idea to do it prior to acceptance as when you send your final university transcripts/information they will see it then.

@jiataoy thank you, I guess I just thought of them as worse than what they actually are. I plan on calling AADSAS tomorrow to see what they say as far as updating the application.

@DSlotted I guess I need to see what AADSAS says first as far as updating my application. thank you.

What was the date you esubmitted, and what was the date this stuff showed up on your record?

What was the date you esubmitted, and what was the date this stuff showed up on your record?

E-submit: June 3rd
Record stuff: August 8th

"Manage your application
Updates after submission

These sections can be edited after the ADEA AADSAS application is submitted:
• Current address.
• Permanent address.
• Phone.
• Email.
• Felony.*
• Misdemeanor.*
• License Infraction.*
• Education Interruption.*
• Colleges Attended (if still attending).
• Coursework (if still attending).
• U.S. and Canadian DAT.
• Evaluations (may be deleted after submission if not completed; new evaluations may be added up to the maximum). *Contact customer service for support in updating these items."

AADSAS Instructions^. So unfortunately it looks like you'll have to shoot them a call. :/ Hopefully it'll be an easy update.

"Contact ADEA AADSAS Phone: 617-612-2045 (applicant inquiries only) Application: portal.aadsasweb.org Email: [email protected] Web: adea.org

Tip: The criminal background report will not be released to any party other than the dental schools requesting it. ADEA AADSAS does not have access to this report. For more information about Criminal Background Check, contact: Certiphi® Screening Inc. Applicant inquiry only: (800) 803–9582 [email protected] 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time"

EDIT:
Also, kudos for getting this settled now. At the UF interview, they said it happens every year that someone didn't report something and it hinders them being able to matriculate. The dean was like, "It's usually someone getting caught with a bottle of beer and we don't even care. What we care about was that you didn't report it and now it's causing problems."

it was painful for me to fill out that section on the aadsas hahaha

@Meeza thank you, I'm gonna call today and see what they have to say about updating it.. hopefully it's either fixable through them or maybe I just won't need to submit it who knows.

@gangazi the part that kills me is if I hadn't got the 2nd violation (the stupid copyright infringement) then the first violation wasn't visible on my record, it's only after the second violation that they both become visible.