University of Appalachia School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the lowest pcat they have ever excepted is?

Members don't see this ad.

haha for sure!! Good luck and keep me posted! I have started to look for apartments, but waiting until all my finals and school is done for the summer...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Those that attended the interview on 4/5, have anyone else got a letter from UACP? I am still waiting to hear back from them...

I was also at the April 5th interview and have not yet received a letter... If i remember correctly Vickee said that they would have decisions made by the 14th..so im hopping that letters will be out already and then be at my place hopefully by saturday... hopefully...if anyone that went on the 5th gets one, please post...

Gambreltc where are you from, I live pretty close to the school and I haven't heard anything?

Last edited:
congrats guys! I'm still on the alternate list, originally interviewed in November.

HI, UACP Class of 2011!!
Is there anybody looking for a roomate?

So i heard the letters went out last Thur. It is Tuesday and I still haven't got anything in the mail. I live in MD :(

Hey congrats...I haven’t gotten one yet but I live in AZ so I expect it to take longer... I’m hoping I’ll get in, I was on the alternate list last year, so I'm hoping... I call home about 5 times a day asking if the mail came yet... I’m kinda impatient.... hopefully tomorrow....

i hope there's still spots left. i hope we get our letters in the mail today. i am very impatient too. :( GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

congras, Gambreltc!!

I got my letter on Wednesday. I guess I wasn't what they were looking for. :oops: I'm going to work on increasing my chances next year. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody that got into UACP still waiting to hear back from another school of their liking?

this is pretty much my last option and I'm on the alternate list.

Hey congrats...I haven’t gotten one yet but I live in AZ so I expect it to take longer... I’m hoping I’ll get in, I was on the alternate list last year, so I'm hoping... I call home about 5 times a day asking if the mail came yet... I’m kinda impatient.... hopefully tomorrow....

Hi... did you get accepted yet? I got rejected last year and now i got in. So I think you will eventually get in too. So don't loose hope ...

Hi all,

Congratulations to all! I am looking for a roomate in their P1 year please contact me if you are also looking for a roomate.

I hope I'll have the opportunity in the near future to find a roommate!

Hey Everyone

SuperRxPcat score
Does anyone know what the lowest pcat they have ever excepted is?

I've called them and they have told me that generally their accepted students have a 65-75 composite score on the pCATs, so its possible to get in. I didn't meet their prerequisites for acceptance this year but perhaps next.

well I know the alternate list had 45 people on it last month but I hope that number has decreased. I also know that the list is not ranked but I wonder if the list is based on alternate-list issue date. For example, I was put on the alternate list in March, so I would be picked before an April alternate list and after a February alternate list person regardless of stats. I hope that is how it goes. We will see....

pharmacist5870-

I was put on the Alternate List at the End of April and I got in a few days ago!

I was considering applying to UACP for the Fall 2009 year. I thought you all might better be able to tell me if I'm a good fit.

My stats:

3.35 GPA
Non-Trad graduate (Sociology/Pre-Med Major with a Chemistry minor)
No PCAT yet (2 months to study for it)
Research experience (and a publication soon I hope)

I have about 200 hours of volunteer experience, and research experience, but I have little pharmacy experience.

I can get solid shadowing experience and probably some good volunteer experience in the next few weeks.

Notable:
I have C's in both Organic classes and one of my Physics. My Math/Science GPA is about a 3.1.

Think I'd have a shot if I submitted an application in the next few weeks? It's still really early.

those are pretty solid stats. i got an interview late april, with okay GPA and PCAT. so you will definitely get an interview soon if you submit it early! GOOD LUCK :)

also, if you are out of state, it will be competitive with the in-state applicants. but, you will do just fine!

I was considering applying to UACP for the Fall 2009 year. I thought you all might better be able to tell me if I'm a good fit.

My stats:

3.35 GPA
Non-Trad graduate (Sociology/Pre-Med Major with a Chemistry minor)
No PCAT yet (2 months to study for it)
Research experience (and a publication soon I hope)

I have about 200 hours of volunteer experience, and research experience, but I have little pharmacy experience.

I can get solid shadowing experience and probably some good volunteer experience in the next few weeks.

Notable:
I have C's in both Organic classes and one of my Physics. My Math/Science GPA is about a 3.1.

Think I'd have a shot if I submitted an application in the next few weeks? It's still really early.

as long as your PCAT is over 50 you could be an interviewee. I'm not sure what is going to happen with UACP cause they are going to be fully accreditted early next year and it will be harder to get in. You may have a better shot at U of Charleston since they won't be fully accreditted until early 2011.

Hi guys,
Is there anyone looking for a roomate?
I got a 2-bedroom and bathroom apartment at Slate Creek. There are 3 other P1 students and we are going to carpool to the school. If you are interested, just send me a message. :)

UACP class of 2011!!

Hi guys,
Is there anyone looking for a roomate?
I got a 2-bedroom and bathroom apartment at Slate Creek. There are 3 other P1 students and we are going to carpool to the school. If you are interested, just send me a message. :)

UACP class of 2011!!

You should also contact the school and leave your information with them just in case they accept students off of the waitlist and might need a place to stay.

I've been wondering for a while now why this school is called Universityof Appalachia College of Pharmacy. I've done a search and as far as I can tell there is no University of Appalachia, so why would they name a stand-alone pharmacy school University of Appalachia? I'm considering this school and this has been bugging me for a while. Any know the answer or have ideas?

Because its located in the Appalachia area?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I know it's in the Appalachian area. Incidentally, I grew up in the region. The college is called University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy but it's not part of a university. It seems like a strange name for the college to me, and that a name like Appalachian College of Pharmacy would make more sense. I'm just wondering if there is a reason they put the word "university" in the name.

maybe you can ask them why they are named the way they are during the interview session when they ask if anyone has any questions.....

my question was, how many seats were left. I knew everyone there was dying to find out...

any luck?

I did not turn in my supplemental either. Another girl also received the email invitation and she did not turn hers in as well. This is wierd!

What is supplemental ?? how is it different from pharmcas application

What is supplemental ?? how is it different from pharmcas application

supplemental is additional forms and fees you have to fill out through their websites usually. I think it is just to squeeze more money out of us, because they ask for our information, credits, and maybe some short answers in the supplemental. DO THEM EARLY!

Anyone else placed on hold after the 13th Dec interview?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I know it's in the Appalachian area. Incidentally, I grew up in the region. The college is called University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy but it's not part of a university. It seems like a strange name for the college to me, and that a name like Appalachian College of Pharmacy would make more sense. I'm just wondering if there is a reason they put the word "university" in the name.

This is a common question, even I asked, during the interview process. The College of Pharmacy was the primary goal, but the name reflects the desire to develop a structure that would allow for future growth and the addition of other programs. Some already casually refer to us as Appalachian College of Pharmacy. Either way...I'm extremely satisfied with my decision and the success and growth the school has accomplished in such a short time.

those are pretty solid stats. i got an interview late april, with okay GPA and PCAT. so you will definitely get an interview soon if you submit it early! GOOD LUCK :)

also, if you are out of state, it will be competitive with the in-state applicants. but, you will do just fine!

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites? I sent my app last October and when I called in January they just said it was still in review. hmmmmm.....

Dreamer57, I just got an invitation to interview today for March 28th. However, in my case, it was a second invitation, since I was originally invited to interview on February 28th, but I had schedule conflict, and so they withdrew me from the February interview pool, and put me in the March interview pool. I've just heard back today, and I'm getting a bit worried. March 28th seems pretty late, and by then, a lot of the slots will have already been filled won't they? It seems like there's very slim chances for the few slots left... :scared: Oh well, I'm hoping for the best.

Dreamer57, I just got an invitation to interview today for March 28th. However, in my case, it was a second invitation, since I was originally invited to interview on February 28th, but I had schedule conflict, and so they withdrew me from the February interview pool, and put me in the March interview pool. I've just heard back today, and I'm getting a bit worried. March 28th seems pretty late, and by then, a lot of the slots will have already been filled won't they? It seems like there's very slim chances for the few slots left... :scared: Oh well, I'm hoping for the best.

Congrats on your interview! Of course chances are slimmer the later you interview because seats are being filled but try not to think of it that way. They are still going to meet you so you still have a chance! Good luck and keep us updated! =) I just checked my mail and nothing yet.

Okay this might be a long one.

One of my best friends calls me today and was very down about her interview. One of her last places to get into is this college and she called them earlier this week to get an update about her upcoming interview. She said they had changed the name of the college and were getting a new Dean. A big red flag went off in both our minds about what that and we both thought is was strange. Anyway she called me because one of my old undergrad friends was a P2 there so I im'd him to see how he was doing and it had been a while sinced we had talked. He told me that they were on there 4th Dean since the college started in 2005. Holy crap!! One every year...and they aren't accreditated yet. This was the only place he got in so its understandable why he went. He was telling me that he is in the middle of nowhere and he has to drive 30 miles to a bar. Ha...I just have to go flag a cab or walk. Anyway, he got a 65 on his PCAT and told me there were alot of people under 50 and he does VERY well on the tests. Anyway, I told my this news to my other friend and she felt better about her 52 PCAT but we both still had reservations about the college's future. I just don't know if it would be worth it to take a chance on a program that is still unaccreditated, you have to put up private monies, and obviously they have some problems with leadership.

In the end, I told her not to worry about getting denied because she can take some additional classes and bump her scores but what to do if she gets accepted??? Makes me glad to be done with school and not have to worry about this crap.

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites? I sent my app last October and when I called in January they just said it was still in review. hmmmmm.....

hmmmm yeah.... since you replied to my comment a while back. I feel like I haven't heard from them either... and so many interview sessions already took place. I submitted my supp. application back in Aug and all I got was that it's under review letter and nothing since then!

Aug 7th "UACP has received your supplemental application, but we have had a bit of a problem with PharmAdmit and no one was entered into the program but rest assured that it was received."

hhmmm maybe I should e-mail or call them to see where my application went? It would suck to go in April again, and there probably won't be any seats left.

Wow, NYCPHARM. I can't believe there's been 4 deans since it opened. Are they not a candidate yet? I know they already have a graduating class and there should be another one this spring. I haven't been keeping up w/ this school because I haven't heard from them for a while. I guess I should look into it. Thanks for everyone's inputs...

their candidate status was just renewed.

I have heard rumors that the dean problem isn't really a problem with the school. It's a problem with them requiring the dean to live in Buchanan county. That is the county the school is in but there also, as mentioned before, isn't much else there.

You hire deans that are accustomed to living in larger urban areas and then stick them in the sticks and some of them decide they don't much care for it.

That is the rumor I have heard anyway I have no idea about the amount of truth to it.

Also they changed their name to simply Appalachia College of Pharmacy officially the other day. It explains why on their website.

good luck

Still no invite for March interview:(. I'm nervous now because chance of receiving an invitation are now slim to none. Do you think no news is still hopeful?

This school is a ****ing embarrassment. It is a stand alone school with no credible research programs whatsoever (if they even have any) and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. Stand alone schools get little respect from employers and any credible drug company. I don't know if they offer dual-degree programs but if they do they are not worth pursuing due to the fact that this is school that was started on the middle of nowhere just few years ago so an MBA or a PhD from them is just worthless at best. It is disappointing that you even consider this school. Just the fact that they except people with 50 PCATs is a disgrace and will really exemplify the crappy pharmacists that this school will provide. I can't wait for the first class to graduate and not receive any job opportunities from any credible companies.

This school beat the three other pharmacy schools in Virginia in statewide competitions in 2007 and placed a close second in 2008. The 2008 charter class of 67 grads had a 92% national boards first time pass rate and all grads have full time jobs in retail or clinical positions or have gone onto residency training, two grads have jobs at the school as instructors/faculty and one now serves on the board of trustees. The school has students with PCATS from 50 to 99. Like any new school getting the right fit at the helm has been a quest but the new dean has been with the program since the inception and she was very successful as associate dean of pharmacy practice there, nailing down 50% more clinical sites than required by the accrediting body. She is a permanent resident of the locality and has widespread support. Interestingly, the school now has women leaders at all but two administrative posts, making it one of the nation's highest achievers in equal opportunity on a per centage basis. It is easy to take uninformed shots at any institution but facts are stubborn things. The school is dedicated to improving health care in Appalachia and has research projects proceeding in that regard and these programs will grow exponentially once all accreditation requirements are achieved. Anyone who wants an urban environment should not apply to ACP but for those who see merit in a mission to help under served rural areas improve health care access and quality of care will find open arms, a rigorous didactic and practice program and a low student to professor ratio for personalized attention and mentoring.

I applied end of February and have been in contact with one of the Admissions office staff and she told me that I would hear from them from now til May. How long do they expect us to wait? I saw that someone has an interview on March 28th.... then why is it taking so long? I mean it's really making me anxious.

Someone said they wrote them a letter to interview her and they did. How can I do that??? Just be bold?

Thank you! This is my first time using SDN

This school is a ****ing embarrassment. It is a stand alone school with no credible research programs whatsoever (if they even have any) and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. Stand alone schools get little respect from employers and any credible drug company. I don't know if they offer dual-degree programs but if they do they are not worth pursuing due to the fact that this is school that was started on the middle of nowhere just few years ago so an MBA or a PhD from them is just worthless at best. It is disappointing that you even consider this school. Just the fact that they except people with 50 PCATs is a disgrace and will really exemplify the crappy pharmacists that this school will provide. I can't wait for the first class to graduate and not receive any job opportunities from any credible companies.

Just out of curiosity where are you going?

And why the bug up your butt about this school? Did you apply there and not even get an interview or what?

Just to let others know.. I had my interview on the 13th of December and I was placed on hold and still haven't received any info..

Not sure if I should be worried or not... ugh. :(

that's strange, i got my acceptance literally a week after my interview.... an yea, the school would be a huge change for me. I sorta bombed my interview on purpose just because i wanted to go home...I had a really bad 2.5 hour driving experience getting there. If it gives the rest of you hope, I am rescinding