University of Arkansas - Waiting patiently...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
texas1emt said:
I'm going to check if the mail-person (let's be politically correct :) ) has dropped off anything in an hour or so. I doubt there will be anything there. I live in South Texas - well San Antonio to be specific - and I am thinking Thurs/Fri but I might be pleasantly surprised.

Have y'all checked your mailbox today yet? And if so, whereabouts do you live?

Just to let you know, I think that when I got my letter in January it took 2 days to get to me (I live about 25 miles from Little Rock)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm do they still use the Pony Express in Arkansas? :cool: just kidding

People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! There's some rinky dink operations here in Texas that crack me up.

texas1emt said:
Hmm do they still use the Pony Express in Arkansas? :cool: just kidding

People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! There's some rinky dink operations here in Texas that crack me up.

Not Pony Express or HOG Express... The USPS does have its limitations, however! texas1emt, it will not get to you today, so don't be upset when your postal person pays you a visit...please. I can only imagine how you are feeling... I am really anxious to see who my daughter will be bonding with for the next four years! I already know of some cool docs2b in the class of 2009.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my waitlist notification, what a bummer. Now I have to think seriously about moving versus reapplying next year. If I decide to reapply I will do grad school at UAMS next school year.

DVLDOC said:
I just got my waitlist notification, what a bummer. Now I have to think seriously about moving versus reapplying next year. If I decide to reapply I will do grad school at UAMS next school year.

Where do you live DVLDOC? I thought you were in Arkansas...

DVLDOC said:

that's too bad. I think they do take a lot of people off the waitlist though. Would you consider doing the community match? because that gets you to the top of the waitlist I think.

I live about 10 minutes away from UAMS. I have to discuss with my wife the possibility of the community match, but I don't think that she will like it. I am, however, going to start looking for towns with less than 15,000 in the central arkansas area if you have suggestions. But I think that she will want to consider other options first (i.e. move to philadelphia this year for D.O. school or reapply next year). The move would normally not be an issue because we were both in the military but our daughter is due Mar 31, which would mean moving with a 2-3 month old. I don't know what I will do, but after she wakes up in about an hour I will know more. Right now I am wallowing in my own self-disgust. And considering a trip to the liquor store.
Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

DVLDOC said:
Right now I am wallowing in my own self-disgust. And considering a trip to the liquor store. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.
Don't get too down about it. I might be in the same boat as you (except minus the wife and child) when my letter gets here. Good luck with the kiddo though! From what my friends tell me, when you finally have your own child, the joy of the whole event is amazing.

And hmm, I already made my trip to the liquor store. :cool:

What day is the postmark on the letter from UAMS?

Just an FYI - nothing in today's mail for me. Well there's bills... :mad:

Yesterday. Man I still can't believe that I didn't get in here in arkansas, damn. But, there is still a chance to come of the alternate list I suppose. I just have to hold out until mid-Apr. Although the community match would not be too bad if I could find a community close enough that I could stay in LR. We shall see. It is too bad that I can't find out what my number is on the waitlist, I would hate to sign up for the match and move from number 3 to number 1. I can't imagine, with my stats, that I am that far down the list.

first of all, don't give up just because you are on the waitlist. as was mentioned before, the # of out of state acceptances went up, but that doesn't mean they'll be taken, those are the most variable spots. also, the way in which you're taken off the list is somewhat impacted by what congressional district you are in. so my advice is to keep up hope. they are required by state law to have 150 students register, and in the past they've had to call people that day. so until registration day (sometime around aug. 5--whatever that friday would be) there is still a chance.

however, i would caution you about the community match just to get off the waitlist. i was in a meeting with doc wheeler the other day and that topic came up. it's fantastic if you know that the only thing you want to do is a general specialty (fm, im, gen sur., maybe ob/gyn) but it is next to impossible to change your mind. the penalties are very very stiff for backing out. the reason it came up is 3rd years are starting to think about residency apps. and some of them really love other fields such as ent, orth, urology, etc. and have the grades to do it, but can't now.

as he put it, the only thing you are guaranteed is to go to that town and practice...you're not guaranteed patients, income, or to even be wanted in 7 years, but you still have to go.

BUT...if you do want to do family med for instance in a small town, it is a great program. 4 years tuition paid and i believe $18,500 stipend. it also will make it very likely that you'll be pulled off the waitlist.

best of luck to all. if you're here next year i'll be a mighty 3rd year...no more of this classroom stuff for me.

I have been interested in surgery for quite some time, I wonder what the average gen. surg. practice is like in a rural area. You are right that it is almost impossible to get out of. You would lose your license in AR, but Tom South said that some students have gone to other states and pursued the specialty of their desire (which is, in my eyes, ridiculous). If my wife and I elect to participate in the community match, we will do so with a heartfelt desire for me to practice for at least the minimum number of required years in the community with which I strike a deal. It would be not unlike another 4 year military commitment, i.e. low pay, undesirable location, and likely less than perfect working conditions.

DVLDOC - what branch of the armed forces are you in? I've applied for the Air Force HPSP this year, but I am waiting on Arkansas' letter. According to my recruiter (and a few friends who are in the program already) if your background check works out and you're accepted somewhere, you get the scholarship. Is that kind of thing available to you since you're already in the military?

DVLDOC said:
I live about 10 minutes away from UAMS. I have to discuss with my wife the possibility of the community match, but I don't think that she will like it. I am, however, going to start looking for towns with less than 15,000 in the central arkansas area if you have suggestions. But I think that she will want to consider other options first (i.e. move to philadelphia this year for D.O. school or reapply next year). The move would normally not be an issue because we were both in the military but our daughter is due Mar 31, which would mean moving with a 2-3 month old. I don't know what I will do, but after she wakes up in about an hour I will know more. Right now I am wallowing in my own self-disgust. And considering a trip to the liquor store.
Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.
This is probably little consolation, but the competition is much greater in Little Rock due to the congressional district map. As far as the small cities in central Arkansas, Lonoke is a small city, around 5000 (it should be a different congressional district than Little Rock) and is pretty close to Little Rock(30 miles). I volunteered there for a while in the public health clinic and it was really educational. However, I think for general surgery it may be really hard to find something in central Arkansas in a town less than 15,000. There would be better opportunities for this in other areas, like northwest AR I would guess. Good luck and hope things turn around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am no longer in the military, after six years I got out to pursue medicine. I am not eligible for military service anymore due to a medical condition that developed during my service. If it weren't for that, I still can't say that I would do military medicine, I worked in that field for six years and practically every one of my friends are in military doctors. Having experienced military medicine I can say that I do not think I would enjoy it, but this is something that is different for everyone so good luck. And, yes in my experience if you get into medical school anywhere they will pony the money for you. I was in the Navy by the way.

KatieJune said:
This is probably little consolation, but the competition is much greater in Little Rock due to the congressional district map. As far as the small cities in central Arkansas, Lonoke is a small city, around 5000 (it should be a different congressional district than Little Rock) and is pretty close to Little Rock(30 miles). I volunteered there for a while in the public health clinic and it was really educational. However, I think for general surgery it may be really hard to find something in central Arkansas in a town less than 15,000. There would be better opportunities for this in other areas, like northwest AR I would guess. Good luck and hope things turn around.

Yeah, I am pretty lucky with the congressional district, mine is the northeast arkansas district. I believe it is the second least applied from following south arkansas. So my chances are not terrible of advancing off the list.

By the way the waitlist letters come in a large manila envelope, so don't get overly excited that it is not a letter like I did.

Oh geez...I didn't know that the waitlist letters come in big envelopes too. I told my parents that acceptances came in big envelopes and everything else came in regular ones. I am making the phone call in 25 mins. to find out. I think i'm going to throw up... :scared:

soccer777 said:
Oh geez...I didn't know that the waitlist letters come in big envelopes too. I told my parents that acceptances came in big envelopes and everything else came in regular ones. I am making the phone call in 25 mins. to find out. I think i'm going to throw up... :scared:

Hopefully right now you are finding out that you are in, I can't imagine your parents having to tell you otherwise. I guess I will be waiting to find out in Apr.

I got a letter w/ financial aid stuff today, so you guys in AR should have it today probably.

Childe said:
I got a letter w/ financial aid stuff today, so you guys in AR should have it today probably.

Do you have to enter your parent's info on the finaid form?

DVLDOC, i'm joining you on the goshdarn waitlist. Here's hoping a lot of people turn down their acceptances.

Oof, now I am getting more nervous. It's no fair that you guys live so close to UAMS. :cool:

Do any of you know if UAMS has any one year grad school programs? I don't really want to start a 2+ year program since i want to reapply next year (assuming I don't get off the waitlist). Any ideas?

soccer777 said:
Do any of you know if UAMS has any one year grad school programs? I don't really want to start a 2+ year program since i want to reapply next year (assuming I don't get off the waitlist). Any ideas?

I know that a guy that was in my Kaplan MCAT course was in a one year non-thesis masters program at UAMS, something like healthcare management I think. We shouldn't worry though everyone is going to drop and we will be pulled from the waitlist, I am sure of it. If not I will probably be in the sames masters proagram with you, better get crackin on the GRE studies huh.

Childe,
Did your financial aid stuff come with just one form? I figured the scholarship app would be included, but it wasn't in mine.
Good luck to everyone else, I hope tomorrow brings good news!

DVLDOC - What's this 'community match' stuff you were talking about? Do you pledge to work in an underserved area in return for monetary help from UAMS or the state of Arkansas?

Asherleigh said:
Childe,
Did your financial aid stuff come with just one form? I figured the scholarship app would be included, but it wasn't in mine.
Good luck to everyone else, I hope tomorrow brings good news!
The packet came w/ a loan app and a scholarship app, as well as stuff for the rural medicine program. Also a booklet on fin aid.

And I put my parents info on the FAFSA, as I understand it they require you to for certain loans..

texas1emt said:
DVLDOC - What's this 'community match' stuff you were talking about? Do you pledge to work in an underserved area in return for monetary help from UAMS or the state of Arkansas?

Arkansas residents can pledge to work in a rural area (any community with <15000 population) and be moved to the top of the waitlist. This option is not used by most students because the repercussions for breaking the contract are very harsh, such as losing your license and paying back the loans. But there is a lot of movement on the list so I am still hopeful, otherwise I think I am going to move for med school. I hope you get your acceptance tomorrow, and I hope that we spend the next 4 years as friends because you seem like a heck of a nice guy.

Don't do community unless thats what you want - a LOT of people get in off of the waitlist because UAMS is required by law to start the year with 150 people.

DVLDOC said:
I think I am going to move for med school.
I'm confused, DVLDOC. Did you say you got in somewhere else, or in a DO school?

DVLDOC said:
I hope you get your acceptance tomorrow, and I hope that we spend the next 4 years as friends because you seem like a heck of a nice guy.
Thanks for saying that. Eh, I am a nice guy most of the time. It would be cool go to to school with you and the rest of the folks on here talking about Arkansas. You guys all seem like ambitious and caring folks.

Got a call tonight from a guy I met at the UTHSCSA interview in November. He had a 3.8 from West Point and an MCAT > 30 and I knew he'd get in. He applied to all Texas schools, Arkansas, Okalahoma, and the United States Uniformed Health Services school. He got three interviews in Texas, ended up getting accepted at UTHSCSA and USUHS. I wish I'd paid more attention early in college... :mad:

Also, did your notifications come just plain first class postal mail from UAMS? Someone told me at some point that letters of acceptance came via Priority Mail.

Dude texas1emt, you spend way too much freaking time on here! Not worth sitting at your comp stressing about this, really!
I'm also eagerly waiting to hear from UAMS - which day did you interview there? I was there on Jan 8th and I imagine you were too. Good luck and here's hoping we both get our good news tomorrow. I'm in OK - no way it should take more than 2 days for the letter to travel 5 hours west on I-40.
Oh another thing, BOOMER SOONER! :D

texas1emt said:
I'm confused, DVLDOC. Did you say you got in somewhere else, or in a DO school?

D.O. school in Philadelphia, which would be fine if I wasn't having a child in a month and a half. UAMS is still my first choice and I am hoping that I get in off the waitlist but I agree with everyone else on here the community match program is not a good idea for most people.

No1Cub17 said:
I'm also eagerly waiting to hear from UAMS - which day did you interview there? I was there on Jan 8th and I imagine you were too. Good luck and here's hoping we both get our good news tomorrow. I'm in OK - no way it should take more than 2 days for the letter to travel 5 hours west on I-40. Oh another thing, BOOMER SOONER! :D

I interviewed on January 8th. I was in the first interview group - I think it was 9AM or 9:30AM.

Also, I didn't graduate from UT Austin, I graduated from UTSA. So technically I am not a longhorn, I am a roadrunner, and our football team is still undefeated (since it does not exist). :cool:

DVLDOC - The community match thing does sound like a raw deal if you ever want to make a career change or a location change. I hope the waitlist moves as fast as possible and you are at the top! Plus, from what I am told, Philadelphia is freezing and the people are not friendly. :rolleyes:

I'm in!!!
Just to let everyone know, I live in extreme northeast Arkansas. For those of you on the waitlist, there is hope. I for one am not sure if I will be going to UAMS.

congratulations zshotts, I hope that if you go somewhere else I get your spot.

Good luck, texas1emt, and everyone else. I'm an EMT in Austin and I also interviewed as an out of stater on Jan. 8th. I'm eagerly awaiting the letters (hopefully today) as well! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.

(Woo Pigs!)

My fellow waitlisters,

I called the admissions office this afternoon and spoke with Linda about the alternate list. I basically just asked a lot of questions and I wanted to share what I found out (although everyone else might already know these things). Usually there are around 50 people on the alternate list, and around 25 of those get in. Usually 6-8 of those 25 are people who have committed to the Rural Community Match program. All of these numbers are estimations because she couldn't give me the exact info, but I was glad to get a little information at least. :)

Texas1emt, I hope you get some good news in the mail this afternoon. :thumbup:

well, i didnt get in :( kinda surprised me to say the least! my interview was so relaxed and easy - too good to be true I guess. Probably me being out-of-state had a LOT to do with it. well i'll just tell myself that on the way back from the liquor store :D anyway i guess i wont be joining you all in arkansas, but i'll more than likely be close by in oklahoma :), so good luck to all of you in your future endeavors!

Rejection for me as well. Oh well. It's been a fun ride, regardless.

I'll be reapplying this year... They're not going to get me down this easily.

soccer777 said:
My fellow waitlisters,

I called the admissions office this afternoon and spoke with Linda about the alternate list. I basically just asked a lot of questions and I wanted to share what I found out (although everyone else might already know these things). Usually there are around 50 people on the alternate list, and around 25 of those get in. Usually 6-8 of those 25 are people who have committed to the Rural Community Match program. All of these numbers are estimations because she couldn't give me the exact info, but I was glad to get a little information at least. :)

Texas1emt, I hope you get some good news in the mail this afternoon. :thumbup:

Thank you for the information, I was wondering about the 'list myself. I had planned to call in a few days once the dust settled down over there. Those numbers don't seem all that discouraging, I am sure that we are pretty high on the list. Maybe less people will do the rural programs this year, there are a lot of horror stories about that thing from what I understand. They are having a seminar on both programs this month, maybe that will discourage some of the people who are thinking of it. Good luck, and let me know if you find out anything else. I will do the same for you.

texas1emt said:
Rejection for me as well. Oh well. It's been a fun ride, regardless.

I'll be reapplying this year... They're not going to get me down this easily.

I am SO sorry! I guess we knew it was a longish shot for you and the other non-residents since out-of-state applicants are not to displace qualified in-state applicants. But we did hear they were admitting more out-of-state applicants this year....
In years past, Tom South has met with those who were not admitted and discussed the reasons why and how they can strengthen their applications for the next year.
Have you thought about DO? OSUDoc08 is from Texas - I think he may have been an EMT also - he is a 1st year at the DO school in Tulsa and seems to love it!
Could you establish residency in another state - AR or even LA where there are (2) state med schools and (1) private med school. The Adm stats to the LSU schools look favorable.
Keep your head up. There are a lot of us on this thread who admire your tenacity!

No love from UAMS. Got the letter today.

Sorry to hear of your similar story Texas1EMT.

Good luck on the reapplication. That was my story last year. I'm in, but not close to home.

Good luck to all of you :luck: :luck:

I'm sorry for the rejections guys. For those on the waitlist, I'll probably end up going somewhere else so there might be a spot open.

I made a slight UAMS jab in my blog earlier. I'm slowly getting over the rejection stuff with the help of some alcoholic beverages (hah!) and a lot of support from friends. :)

I'll definitely apply to Arkansas next year however. Best of luck to the waitlist folks. If you don't move up on the waitlist, DVLDOC, will you re-apply?

texas1emt said:
I made a slight UAMS jab in my blog earlier. I'm slowly getting over the rejection stuff with the help of some alcoholic beverages (hah!) and a lot of support from friends. :)

I'll definitely apply to Arkansas next year however. Best of luck to the waitlist folks. If you don't move up on the waitlist, DVLDOC, will you re-apply?

For what it's worth, I was told by a UAMS grad that they like people who reapply. I guess they like to see you are dedicated to become a doctor at UAMS.

Also, if you are waitlisted, don't give up until the first day of school. That same UAMS grad told me that she got a call on the first day of class telling her to get ready because someone had not showed up. Unfortunately, the student eventually made it and she had to reapply the next year.

texas1emt said:

If I don't move up and gain acceptance, I will likely attend a DO program in Philadelphia, or there are a couple of schools I haven't heard from yet. On the off chance that I decide I don't want to move this summer I will be attending grad school at UAMS and reapplying.

DVLDOC said:
If I don't move up and gain acceptance, I will likely attend a DO program in Philadelphia, or there are a couple of schools I haven't heard from yet. On the off chance that I decide I don't want to move this summer I will be attending grad school at UAMS and reapplying.

Yep, I'm heading from Dallas to Atlanta (GA PCOM) if the waitlists don't budge before May 15. Some others I haven't heard from either. I sure would like that cheap Texas tuition.

You folks have reflected the friendliness that I love about living in the south central region. :thumbup: :) Cheers

OrthoFixation said:
Yep, I'm heading from Dallas to Atlanta (GA PCOM) if the waitlists don't budge before May 15. Some others I haven't heard from either. I sure would like that cheap Texas tuition.

Best of luck to you, Ortho! :cool:

DVLDOC--There are several towns with less than 15,000 people about an hour away from Little Rock, if you are willing to drive that far. I'd try places like Morrilton, Perryville, and Clinton. Good luck on getting bumped up to the accepted list! :)