2023-2024 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
They also do not do rolling admissions, but they do have a deadline of November 15 for the secondary submission.

From the 2024 applicant guide:

"11/15/23: Deadline for all applicants to submit the UAMS COM Supplemental Application. Non-Arkansas residents with strong ties to Arkansas must submit letter to UAMS advocating strong ties."

This is done through the secondary they send to applicants. They sent the secondary application out around 8/18.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to message me! 🫶🏻 Coming from someone who was waitlisted last year and ended up getting in. Y’all got this!

for anyone from out of state, how are you formatting your letter advocating for strong ties? I'm very confused lol

Since the OOS evaluative committee just met today, I imagine that it will be next week at the earliest when OOS invitees are invited to interview.

Is there a date they expect to send out II for OOS or just a date they meet and date they will have interviews?

Is there a date they expect to send out II for OOS or just a date they meet and date they will have interviews?
I haven't seen anywhere where they say exactly when they send OOS IIs. The only dates I've seen are the dates they met to evaluate (12/8) and then the date of the OOS interview (1/13).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen anywhere where they say exactly when they send OOS IIs. The only dates I've seen are the dates they met to evaluate (12/8) and then the date of the OOS interview (1/13).
I emailed them and they said we will hear something no later than the 20th

Reactions: 2 users
Any early accepts? Or does anyone know how early accepts are decided?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
There was one who apparently found out Saturday (found from Facebook). I believe ~25 early accepts are decided from a pool of applicants that are considered to be the “top” relative to others of the same district. Not sure how they select them, and how holistic it is. Probably not entirely based on stats- I have a 521 MCAT, 3.94 GPA and haven’t heard anything. I could have had some red flags somewhere or a poor interview.
What region are you in? It could still be in the mail.

Early accepts, keep us updated! Also wanted to know so I can stop checking the mailbox every day haha

Anyone have any other places we can look for people getting early accepts? I want to know if mine could still be in the mail or if I should stop checking lol

I still haven’t seen anyone with an early accept. Maybe holiday-related delays?

I know there were some additional details in the interview invite email, but is anyone aware of 1) how many faculty interviews we will have, and 2) how long they are? TY!

I know there were some additional details in the interview invite email, but is anyone aware of 1) how many faculty interviews we will have, and 2) how long they are? TY!
Mine was one faculty and it was about 45 minutes

Does anyone know how many OOS applicants Arkansas generally accepts?

I’m an M1, we have five OOS applicants in my class :)
@redbutdead, thanks for chiming in! Would you be willing to provide some info about some of the pros/cons/stress level of the curriculum, the LR vs NWA campus locations, how UAMS is preparing students for residency given P/F Step 1, if the class feels collaborative and if the institution is supportive of students, and opportunities for merit scholarships?

@redbutdead, thanks for chiming in! Would you be willing to provide some info about some of the pros/cons/stress level of the curriculum, the LR vs NWA campus locations, how UAMS is preparing students for residency given P/F Step 1, if the class feels collaborative and if the institution is supportive of students, and opportunities for merit scholarships?
It is very stressful - after all, it's med school. The hard part is not getting in like everyone says, the hard part is medical school itself. Regarding the campuses, I feel like NWA is often neglected compared to LR. The competition is unnecessary too imo, but it is what it is. I will mention, some students have resorted to some fairly unethical tactics since our grades are now the most significant factor of years 1 and 2 with step 1 going pass/fail.

Hi! I’m happy to answer the questions that I can. Med school is very stressful period, no matter what school you attend. There are times it makes you want to cry or give up but it’s rewarded to keep getting up and try! There are about 20 people from each class who attend the NW campus. There is an opportunity there to graduate in 3 years if you want to pursue primary care, but some people just choose that campus because of the town or they have family there. You can still do the 4 year track there too! I will say NW has to chime in to our lectures and things via zoom which is difficult for them sometimes. Also NW campus only does partial dissection for anatomy and does not get the full experience like in LR. LR you have the option usually to attend lectures online or watch the recording which is nice, NOT required attendance most of the time. Starting in your second semester you will take some NBME exams that better prepare you for step 1 than in house exams. They also provide resources like pathoma, sketchy, eventually UWorld, etc. I do think UAMS does a very good job of telling us about all the resources they have to help us through med school like free therapy services and a student health appointment clinic among other things. Many teachers are willing to have one on one conversations with you about hardships and we have student councils for that too. I don’t know much about merit scholarships but I do know they send out the application soon after acceptances are sent out. There are also many private scholarships to apply to. UAMS also offers several honors programs that students can start pursuing their second semester of M1 year. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

@redbutdead @Learn To Swim! I really appreciate the informative responses. Thank you!

I am curious about the comment regarding the competitive nature of grading given that the curriculum is P/F. Do all students have equal opportunities to get A's on exams, or are they curved? I see on the MSAR that quartiles are denoted on the Dean's Letter when applying to residencies, but do you know exactly what your rank is right now, such as #47 out of 184? If not, what is creating the competitive environment?

Also, as it relates to research, do you hear/feel like there are ample opportunities to obtain research leading to publications/presentations in diverse specialties, such as summer research fellowships, faculty/residents being open to students helping with projects, institutional support?

Another area I didn't hear much about during interview day was Global Health opportunities: Do y'all know how prevalent these opportunities are?

Last, do you feel like UAMS is friendly to traditional students and non-trads alike, or students with

I enjoyed learning about the school during the interview, and it seemed like there are a lot of opportunities for students to be supported throughout the journey.

We have many opportunities for research including some summer programs that come with stipends. We have a big honors in research program that many people graduate with every year. In terms of global health we also have an honors in global health program. We have opportunities to present at conferences that UAMS will pay for and such if you fall into that placement. We are very friendly to traditional and non traditional alike. We have several people in my class who are close to 30 or in their early 30’s and even someone in their 40’s at the NW campus. We also have students who have had babies while in school and UAMS works with them to make sure they don’t miss too much while they are out. We also have a resource center to help those with disabilities. We provide longer test times and things like different textbook formats for students that need it.

We have many opportunities for research including some summer programs that come with stipends. We have a big honors in research program that many people graduate with every year. In terms of global health we also have an honors in global health program. We have opportunities to present at conferences that UAMS will pay for and such if you fall into that placement. We are very friendly to traditional and non traditional alike. We have several people in my class who are close to 30 or in their early 30’s and even someone in their 40’s at the NW campus. We also have students who have had babies while in school and UAMS works with them to make sure they don’t miss too much while they are out. We also have a resource center to help those with disabilities. We provide longer test times and things like different textbook formats for students that need it.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Just got an in-state acceptance email. They were supposed to go out tomorrow, which is weird.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do we think that they’re sending more out tomorrow or did they all go out today?

• Hmm
From what I gather, given there are 175-ish IS matriculants and only around 25 early accepts, I wouldn't worry about the early waves. Good news will come!

just got accepted in-state also don't know LM

• Love
Does anyone know a ballpark of when UAMS is going to be mailing decisions for OOS candidates?

I could be wrong, but I thought during the OOS interview day that they mentioned they would be emailing decisions this year instead of mailing them as in previous years. Can someone else confirm this, or did I misunderstand?