University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any people free that want to meet up and have (a) mock interview session(s) during this week? Especially those that have their interview this Saturday or this Sunday!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any advice on finding info. for current issues in pharmacy? Is there quite a bit of emphasis placed on it during the interviews? Any advice at all is appreciated. I don't live close to vancouver so I wasn't able to attend a practice session. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
if its anything like the mmi in toronto, then there is nothing regarding the world of pharmacy

Does anyone have any advice on finding info. for current issues in pharmacy? Is there quite a bit of emphasis placed on it during the interviews? Any advice at all is appreciated. I don't live close to vancouver so I wasn't able to attend a practice session. Thanks.
You can follow this: http://twitter.com/#!/CanadaPharmNews

There was no emphasis on current issues during last year's MMI interviews but it sure helps to know more about what's new in pharmacy. I'm sure you can incorporate your knowledge of current events in one of your answers to come across as a keen individual.

You can follow this: http://twitter.com/#!/CanadaPharmNews

There was no emphasis on current issues during last year's MMI interviews but it sure helps to know more about what's new in pharmacy. I'm sure you can incorporate your knowledge of current events in one of your answers to come across as a keen individual.

Ok, thanks. Sounds good to me! So it's just mainly testing our communication, critical thinking and ethical decision making? I'm just going through practice q's online. What's a good average time for my initial response (i know I wouldn't be able to talk about it for the entire time)? Just a rough approximation. 4 mins? More?

Is a dress shirt/tie/dress pants okay or should I wear a suit?

Last edited:

Wear what you would wear to any other interview. Obviously, there are no requirements so it will be whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hi!

Is there anybody that's interested in meeting up on Saturday, June 9 at Woodward @ 1? Or would people be interested in meeting up earlier (i.e. 11-12)? I've managed to book 2 rooms atm for 1pm. If there is a UBC student that can book more rooms that'd be great! :)

Hey Happy Student00,

My interview is on the 17th. I can't make it on Saturday but am looking for someone to practice with, is this coming friday the 8th okay? In the morning at 9:00am at Woodward. Otherwise Tuesday or Thursday the 12th or 14th would also be good. Any time after 12:00 pm works for me.

Ok, thanks. Sounds good to me! So it's just mainly testing our communication, critical thinking and ethical decision making? I'm just going through practice q's online. What's a good average time for my initial response (i know I wouldn't be able to talk about it for the entire time)? Just a rough approximation. 4 mins? More?

Keep in mind that I was only talking about last year's interviews. They might have something on current issues this time, so be prepared for anything.

I can only talk about my initial responses. They varied from 2 to 3 mins.

Both dress shirt/tie/pants and suit are fine. Good luck :thumbup:

Hi Happystudent00,
I will be visiting Vancouver this weekend, and would love to have some practice interviewing. 1 o'clock or later works for me :)

Greetings,
Sir/Ma'am, can i ask if you have a book or an ebook that you can let me borrow? cause a friend of mine really needs it cause for the evaluation exam. These are the books that my friend needed, cause my friend can't afford it because it's too expensive, so i'm trying to help my friend and I reach to this forum. Please, is there someone in here can atleast let my friend borrow it or if you got an ebook to share.. my friend is at vancouver to.. and trying to take an exam PEBC..
CPS 2011 (Compendium of Pharmaceutical Specialties)
Patient Self-care
Naplex
appleton and lange quick review of pharmacy 13th edition
pharmacy management by canadian pharmacists association
(biomedical sciences, pharmaceutical practice, pharmacy management, pharmacology, pharmacy review) of Dr. Misbah Biabani

Hi!

Is there anybody that's interested in meeting up on Saturday, June 9 at Woodward @ 1? Or would people be interested in meeting up earlier (i.e. 11-12)? I've managed to book 2 rooms atm for 1pm. If there is a UBC student that can book more rooms that'd be great! :)

I would like to join as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I can come on Saturday. What rooms/time would you like me to help book?

@ Decadence, bootbootcar, mosman.

I currently have 20B and 20D in Woodward Library booked for 1-3pm. (We can book from 3-4:30pm if we decide to practice more) As there's only a few of us, I don't think we would need to book any more rooms.

Is there still room for one more person to join for saturday?

Hi. Does anyone want to meet up and practice on Sunday June 10? @ 1pm Woodward or any other locations?

I currently have 20B and 20D in Woodward Library booked for 1-3pm. (We can book from 3-4:30pm if we decide to practice more) As there's only a few of us, I don't think we would need to book any more rooms.

Room for one more?

Hi!

I'll join if there's room for one more

Sorry, something came up. I will have to pass.

@ decadence, mosman, iceydice, jelligem, adamsmylie

I won't be able to go today as I think I might be getting sick. 20B,C and D are booked for today at 1pm and you all are free to continue to meet up in those rooms to practice. :)

Last edited:
@ decadence, mosman, iceydice, jelligem, adamsmylie

I won't be able to go today as I think I might be getting sick. 20B,C and D are booked for tomorrow at 1pm and you all are free to continue to meet up in those rooms to practice. :)

Alright, I'm in for sunday then

I will be there today at 1 pm. Is anyone else going to be there? Please let me know.

Alright, I'm in for sunday then

Hi. I`m so sorry! I think it must have been a combination of having a horrible headache and lack of sleep, but I meant to say that the rooms that I had booked for today (not Sunday) were still available for you guys to use even though I wasn't coming. So sorry for any miscommunications! :( It seems like there are other people that are looking to meet up on Sunday (tomorrow) at Woodward @1 though! (Chowfan007) :)

Just looking for a tiny bit of advice. If we're asked to 'respond' to an ethical dilemma, can i state a summary of my main response (going into detail after) and then saying why other possible alternatives were not chosen? Should I talk about why other alternatives were not chosen so they know that i took that into consideration or should I just say my main response and wait for follow-up q's? (i'm probably overthinking this).

Is it good to use ethical terms like beneficence or should I just keep that medical term in mind while creating my response?

One more quick q: When I'm responding to a question, can i rephrase the question and then start talking about the solution or should I just immediately go into the solution because we are both aware of the question? I think that makes sense.

Last edited:
Hey everyone

I think to keep the playing field fair, Those who had their interview should not say anything about the interview process, including giving advice.

It's generally okay to use ethical terms as long as you know full well what they mean and what they can imply, if used incorrectly, it's a very hefty double-edged sword as it can cause you to seem like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Restating the question can be a good way to ensure that both the interviewer and interviewee are on the same level / looking at the question from the same point of view. It also helps to clear up any sort of misunderstanding of the question if they happen, however, it can take away from the time you have to actually give your answer and can reflect badly on yourself if you completely misinterpret the question.

I won't tell you whether you should use something or not, as the style to which you answer the questions will reflect the type of person you are, which is what the interview is partly for.

Not sure whether someone will see this before tomorrow... but I'll give it a shot anyways!
Is there a place to put personal belongings before the actual interview process starts?

Not sure whether someone will see this before tomorrow... but I'll give it a shot anyways!
Is there a place to put personal belongings before the actual interview process starts?

From what I remember last year, they had a cart which you put all your electronics on to be wheeled away, as they weren't allowed during the process. But think ahead and be wise about it, don't go bringing a backpack full of stuff when you don't need it. Just take the essentials and keep your focus on the interview, it flies by quickly anyway.

A bit unrelated question:

I've attended UBC before, but how does applying for housing work in this situation? I haven't applied yet and I'm wondering if it's already too late. I know they will still accept my application, but do they have some type of separate lottery for students that didn't attend last year? Just wondering if I'd be wasting $50 for no reason. Thanks.

A bit unrelated question:

I've attended UBC before, but how does applying for housing work in this situation? I haven't applied yet and I'm wondering if it's already too late. I know they will still accept my application, but do they have some type of separate lottery for students that didn't attend last year? Just wondering if I'd be wasting $50 for no reason. Thanks.

You're definitely in rough shape.

If you're coming from far away there *may* be some sort of priority system that will help you get a room, but otherwise I'm pretty sure you're entirely out of luck.

If you apply now they will take your $50 and you will be number 5000+ or something on the waitlist, meaning you definitely won't get a room for term 1. You might get lucky and get a room for term 2 (they continue offering rooms as they become available, and once school has started I'm sure a LOT of the applicants aren't interested in moving any more, so the waitlist numbers go by a lot faster).

To give you an idea, I applied for housing in April 2010, and found out in June that I was #5709 on the waitlist. I did receive an offer for housing on January 20 2011, but declined it.

Personally, this year I was re-applying to UBC when I applied for housing back in December, so they happily took my $50, and then didn't even put me in the lottery (I guess students re-applying for UBC have to wait until June to find out that they're #2500 on the waitlist all the time?) I just got an email from them 3 days ago saying that my waitlist number is #2579. In the 3 days since it's gone down 2563. That's not happening.

Luckily I realized that my situation was rather dire and later applied (in February) for the year round housing (too long after my first application, so I had to pay another $50 fee). I was over #300 on the waitlist for all of the residences, but got an offer since I put that I was willing to move in during the summer (July 1), otherwise I doubt I would have gotten in for September. Applying this late you're probably out of luck for year round residence no matter what.

Good luck, you're likely going to have to find somewhere off campus to live :mad:

Thanks! Saved me $50. I had a feeling UBC tries to do something wonky with those reapplying. Hopefully I'll have to worry about finding a place. :)

I hate how they give a rough estimate of the weeks we'll know the results.. I've been waiting and waiting, tried to keep busy but my mind floats back to the results.

What is everyone doing to keep busy? or any ideas of what to do to keep mind off of this for the next two weeks?

I am finishing my bachelor's right now, so exams are keeping me quite busy, although concentrating is hard. I recommend doing something outside like hiking or kayaking or something else you enjoy. or better yet, go to playland. It always makes me forget my troubles.

I hate how they give a rough estimate of the weeks we'll know the results.. I've been waiting and waiting, tried to keep busy but my mind floats back to the results.

What is everyone doing to keep busy? or any ideas of what to do to keep mind off of this for the next two weeks?

I totally know what you mean, I've been thinking about it so much! I've been working, running, playing soccer and trying to spend some time with friends.

All i know is that the earlier you get it, the better! the people who get in receives them first =) best of luck everyone!

All i know is that the earlier you get it, the better! the people who get in receives them first =) best of luck everyone!

Oh is that how it works? Are you in pharmacy? I think I've seen your name somewhere..

just flew back from vancouver after staying for four days. i just gotta say that ubc campus is probably the nicest campus i`ve visited in the country! you ubc students are really fortunate. vancouver itself is also quite beautiful too =)

was anyone else surprised with the number of out of province students UBC selected for interviews? My interview cycle had 7 out of province students out of a total of 18 students. some where from toronto, some were from ottawa and 1 was from Montreal, even though there are 2 pharmacy schools in montreal.

was anyone else surprised with the number of out of province students UBC selected for interviews? My interview cycle had 7 out of province students out of a total of 18 students. some where from toronto, some were from ottawa and 1 was from Montreal, even though there are 2 pharmacy schools in montreal.

those two schools happen to be French; one is in Montreal and the other is in Quebec City.

I didn't do a survey of all of the students in my group but of the few people I chatted with I was the only OOP applicant. Maybe your cycle just happened to have the best timing for people who were flying from out of town for a weekend.

Like twenty7 mentionned, the language of instruction at UdeM and Laval is French, so someone from Montreal who would prefer study in English must apply out of province.

Regardless of how many schools are available in their home provinces, I don't think its surprising that there are some applicants who want to make a change and experience life on the other side of the country, especially in a beautiful (although expensive!) city like Vancouver :)