University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh thank you! I was worried because of the flag saying it's not turned in lol.

You're fine- those documents are only required if you indicated that you're retaking/taking the MCAT.

I should probably ask about sending official transcripts vs unofficial: I don't have a copy of my transcripts so I just made a request to send them by mail, but it looks like everything has to be sent electronically... Is this going to be an issue, or it's no biggie?

Documents can be sent however you want.

http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-apply.htm

Please mail documents to:

Jeannie Cummins, Program Manager
Molecular and Cellular Physiology
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
231 Albert Sabin Way, MSB 4252
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0576

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks notajock2day! Yeah, that's what confused me, because immediately after I submitted, it said, "hey, send all unofficial electronic documents through here, which will be available in 24-72 hours" or something like that.

Hey everybody!

I am a current student in Cincinnati's SMP and I'll try to drop in every once in awhile to answer questions that you may have.

To list off my stats, I had a 3.3 GPA coming out of college with a 3.1 Science GPA. I took the MCAT twice, scoring a 33 (11,11,11) and then a 38 (13,13,12). I had pretty typical extracurriculars and after college, I worked as a CNA at my local community hospital. The program is really nice, and I think the thing I enjoy the most is that I am with other students who are very similar to me and have very similar backgrounds.

My main reason for posting though is to give people who are applying or who have been accepted a word of advice. Now, I don't mean to put anyone down or make anyone feel bad with what I am about to say; I just intend my message to help motivate you and prepare you to put yourself in the best position to succeed and matriculate to medical school.

Once you start the program at Cincinnati, the biggest thing that is stressed is to beat the medical school average in your classes. It is a relatively straightforward goal, but please keep in mind that the students you will be competing against are not your classmates; they are the medical students. More importantly, since you are competing with actual medical students, you will be competing with students who have attempted what you have tried to do or will try to do, but where you failed, they were successful. And that is the biggest challenge you face because the students you will be competing have demonstrated that they are better students and more ready to become doctors than you. I mean, that's why you're doing an SMP, right? You wouldn't have to do one if what I said wasn't true.

Now obviously, I'm exaggerating to emphasize my point, but don't think for a second that beating the medical school average will be easy. It's not. But don't let anyone discourage you, be confident in your goals and passion, and if you truly believe you were meant to be a doctor, don't ever give up. Be prepared to hit the ground running, especially when your medical school classes start. Good luck to everyone in getting into medical school!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was one of the first in this program, gotta say, it was pretty awesome, and from what I heard only got better.

I feel the UC basic science education was the bomb. It is pretty amazing how they have made a lot of the basic sciences clinically relevant.

Also, completing this program was the boost I needed to finally get off the waitlist, and helped me a lot in the first two years of medical school and beyond. Many times I would get looks from attendings when I randomly pulled some basic science factoid out during rounds, they couldn't believe I remembered something like glycolysis/TCA and could say why it matter in this alcoholic DKA patient.

So I say, if you are thinking about this program, and think you are competitive, then go for it!

For current and former students, and anyone else, should I even bother applying if I have a 30 mcat since their averages are so high? My sGPA is not too low, but not ideal and I'd like to raise it. Average MD cGPA and good EC and LOR. Thanks :)

For current and former students, and anyone else, should I even bother applying if I have a 30 mcat since their averages are so high? My sGPA is not too low, but not ideal and I'd like to raise it. Average MD cGPA and good EC and LOR. Thanks :)

If you have an average MD cGPA, why do you feel that you would need an SMP? The point of an SMP is to mitigate a subpar GPA.

And I know people in the program with 31's and there are a bunch of 32's but I don't know anyone with a 30. But with your GPA being so high for the SMP (the average is a 3.3), you'd stand a decent chance of getting in.

If I were you, I'd prepare very hard for the MCAT, retake it, reapply on June 1st (you don't necessarily need your MCAT score to be in by then), figure out any weaknesses in the intangibles of your application and address those, and maybe find a way to spend the upcoming year that won't put you 50 grand+ in the hole.

For those that have applied, did you use your medical school LORs or get SMP-specific LORs? I have a committee letter/packet and I know Georgetown accepts these but I can't find details about this from U Cincinnati.

For those that have applied, did you use your medical school LORs or get SMP-specific LORs? I have a committee letter/packet and I know Georgetown accepts these but I can't find details about this from U Cincinnati.

Medical school LORs are fine. I would, however, recommend writing an SMP-specific personal statement.

Waitlisted about a week ago. Anyone know if they look at the waitlist at all before July?

Waitlisted about a week ago. Anyone know if they look at the waitlist at all before July?

So, when I got the completed confirmation email it said that there will be open spots until portals close in May... I am guessing what this means is that they won't look at waitlist until then, because their priority would be to keep spots open

Members don't see this ad :)
So, when I got the completed confirmation email it said that there will be open spots until portals close in May... I am guessing what this means is that they won't look at waitlist until then, because their priority would be to keep spots open
Ah ok, thanks!

Georgetown accepts committee packet? I thought they didn't?

I was initially waitlisted to Cincinnati's SMP, but I was fortunate enough to be moved off the waitlist, so don't worry too much about it. Funny enough, even though I was initially waitlisted to their SMP, I was one of the first students accepted to UCCOM. I guess what I'm trying to say to everyone is don't let being waitlisted discourage you. Once you're a student, you'll be given every opportunity to succeed.

Current students: Would anybody recommend retaking a 32? Anecdotal par for acceptance to UCCOM seems to be ~37... =\

Current students: Would anybody recommend retaking a 32? Anecdotal par for acceptance to UCCOM seems to be ~37... =\

not a current student but in general retaking 32 is worth it only if you are like 90%+ certain you can get 35 or above. If this was the case I think it would help with any medical college just incase UCCOM doesnt work

This is also something I'm really concerned about. I've been accepted to the program and am trying to decide between this and RFU. My stats are 3.4/34 but it seems that the students who end up getting accepted (at least for the individuals I've seen on here) have similar GPAs with significantly higher MCAT scores.

However, unless you're very confident that you could top a 32 (especially given the shortish time frame left before the start of the program), I wouldn't retake.

This is also something I'm really concerned about. I've been accepted to the program and am trying to decide between this and RFU. My stats are 3.4/34 but it seems that the students who end up getting accepted (at least for the individuals I've seen on here) have similar GPAs with significantly higher MCAT scores.

However, unless you're very confident that you could top a 32 (especially given the shortish time frame left before the start of the program), I wouldn't retake.

Yeah I am totally split between here and RFU as well.. what are you leaning more towards?

Yeah I am totally split between here and RFU as well.. what are you leaning more towards?

Right now it seems like I change my mind every hour. I'm currently taking a gap year, so I'm really trying to avoid a glide year after the program. I think I would choose Cinci hands down if I had an insanely nice MCAT score like I've seen of Cinci people on this forum or I was willling to apply after the program. I like that RFU affords greater security in attending school the next year since they guarentee an interview and accept a large portion of the class. But I'm also conflicted because I notice a decent number of people from Cinci attend Virginia Tech Carilion, where my sister attends (and would be an alum by the time I'd matriculate). It's nice to know the program is well regarded by a medical school I'd love to go to/may have a good shot at bc of my sister.

What've you been thinking?

I was waitlisted in the bottom 1/3 at UCCOM with a 3.4/34 and good performance in the program. They look at the whole app. I talked to admissions and they thought that I was lacking in the shadowing dept, only 15 hrs. Also, I do not MMI well. If you have an otherwise strong app, I would definitely go to Cincy.

I was waitlisted in the bottom 1/3 at UCCOM with a 3.4/34 and good performance in the program. They look at the whole app. I talked to admissions and they thought that I was lacking in the shadowing dept, only 15 hrs. Also, I do not MMI well. If you have an otherwise strong app, I would definitely go to Cincy.
Thanks for the input! My cgpa is a 3.4 but my sgpa is only a 3.3. Other than that I think I have a pretty good app. Did you end up attending another medical school the year after the program?

Right now it seems like I change my mind every hour. I'm currently taking a gap year, so I'm really trying to avoid a glide year after the program. I think I would choose Cinci hands down if I had an insanely nice MCAT score like I've seen of Cinci people on this forum or I was willling to apply after the program. I like that RFU affords greater security in attending school the next year since they guarentee an interview and accept a large portion of the class. But I'm also conflicted because I notice a decent number of people from Cinci attend Virginia Tech Carilion, where my sister attends (and would be an alum by the time I'd matriculate). It's nice to know the program is well regarded by a medical school I'd love to go to/may have a good shot at bc of my sister.

What've you been thinking?

Thanks for the insight! I was thinking that too, how it would be nice to avoid another glide year. From the information I've gleaned from this forums it seems that there is higher chance of matriculating into RFU the same year but it seems Cincinnati better prepares you to apply to other med schools if heaven forbid we don't make it same year. I guess for this reason I'm leaning towards Cinny more even though RFU offers the best shot to med school as fast as possible, Cinny provides better shot overall, i.e. less chance of blowing a 40k+ investment. Also I hope what you say about high MCAT is true! I think I meet this criterion

Thanks for the insight! I was thinking that too, how it would be nice to avoid another glide year. From the information I've gleaned from this forums it seems that there is higher chance of matriculating into RFU the same year but it seems Cincinnati better prepares you to apply to other med schools if heaven forbid we don't make it same year. I guess for this reason I'm leaning towards Cinny more even though RFU offers the best shot to med school as fast as possible, Cinny provides better shot overall, i.e. less chance of blowing a 40k+ investment. Also I hope what you say about high MCAT is true! I think I meet this criterion
I'm certainly not super sure about the high MCAT but it's what I've seen on sdn after obsessively reading through past Cinci threads. I agree that Cinci seems to be better for getting into other medical schools other than RFU (only about 5 people there get into other programs from what I've heard). It'd be a definite perk to go to a school that's not as far from my home as RFU is. I'm still really conflicted and am now leaning towards Cinci a little more. Did you put down your deposit to RFU? I'm not sure I'll be able to decide within the 2 week period and may pay it just in case even if it's non refundable.

I'm certainly not super sure about the high MCAT but it's what I've seen on sdn after obsessively reading through past Cinci threads. I agree that Cinci seems to be better for getting into other medical schools other than RFU (only about 5 people there get into other programs from what I've heard). It'd be a definite perk to go to a school that's not as far from my home as RFU is. I'm still really conflicted and am now leaning towards Cinci a little more. Did you put down your deposit to RFU? I'm not sure I'll be able to decide within the 2 week period and may pay it just in case even if it's non refundable.

Yeah, I haven't put down deposit for RFU, but it seems the deposit is refundable for Cincy.

In my head I can make a case for RFU though. My understanding is that if you do well at RFU, you can count on attending RFU med. If I am not capable of doing well at RFU, then I won't be capable of doing well at Cincy either, and both cases lead to same results. So... I guess technically, if you are bound to do well and your priority is going to "an" US MD school as fast as possible, RFU is the way to go...

Both places are far for me so location is not of issue but yeah, for you it must be a big bonus for RFU too.

Thanks for the input! My cgpa is a 3.4 but my sgpa is only a 3.3. Other than that I think I have a pretty good app. Did you end up attending another medical school the year after the program?
Yes, I was accepted to 2 of my state schools. And I am currently wrapping up my 1st year.

Waitlisted :/ I guess I should be glad I didn't get outright rejected.

Hey everyone,

I was just reading some of the replies and I guess I'm a little concerned with the people's perception. Don't worry about your MCAT scores! Most of you, I am sure, did fine on the MCAT. Just because myself and Gorgeous got high MCAT scores and were accepted, doesn't mean that you are at a disadvantage or advantage based on your MCAT score.

Your success in this program will be determined largely by how you do in your med school classes and your outside activities!

That's the bottom line. Yes, the adcom will look at your whole application. Yes, having a higher GPA and MCAT will undoubtedly be to your advantage. But don't let the anecdotes of a few students in the program skew your ideas regarding the program. This program has helped students with different deficiencies in their application address and improve those deficiencies. If you lack shadowing, you can get shadowing. If you lack good volunteering experiences, you can get good volunteering experiences. If you lack bench research, you can get bench research. If you have a poor GPA/MCAT, you can prove that you've improved by crushing your med school classes (this is most important). Good luck to everyone that's applying! And if you get waitlisted, don't sweat it, people move off the waitlist, especially if you are in the top-third (I moved off the waitlist).

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm, so either the SDN people have a great sense of humor, or someone else thought it would be funny to mess with them today.

Anyone else notice the sudden forum-wide appearance of Cave-Man grammar?

the 'eye' to "me" switch? hahaha ME WERE GOING NUTZ READING IT. ... "hmmm, I can't put my finger on it, but something seems different today"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 4.29.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 4.29.59 PM.png
    335.1 KB · Views: 97
Yeah, and the ads were obvious since I have ad-blocker and suddenly they were showing up, haha.

So, I have like zero doctor shadowing experience. I definitely need to do that here.

The question for current students is, how available are the faculty member here willing to provide shadowing opportunities?

and then secondly, my understanding is that the fall semester is a lot tougher than the spring semester. Would it be advised to try to start shadowing during fall, or should I put it on hold until spring?

Thanks!

So, I have like zero doctor shadowing experience. I definitely need to do that here.

The question for current students is, how available are the faculty member here willing to provide shadowing opportunities?

and then secondly, my understanding is that the fall semester is a lot tougher than the spring semester. Would it be advised to try to start shadowing during fall, or should I put it on hold until spring?

Thanks!

The faculty are very open and encourage students to shadow them. I haven't heard of anybody having trouble finding physicians to shadow, and it's a great opportunity to shadow physicians in specialties that you think you'd be interested in the future. With that said, I think it's important to say that you'll need to make your own opportunities. That means you'll need to make phone calls, send out emails, and talk to people to set it up. However, Dr. Banks and Dr. Lorenz (the program directors) are happy to give you names of physicians who students have had success with in obtaining shadowing opportunities. Some administrative things to keep in mind though is that you'll need to have a TB test done and you'll need to get your flu shot around flu season if you want to shadow (Maker sure you hold onto your forms as proof).

As far as when to start shadowing, I'd say shadow whenever you want. You have to remember that the admission committee would like to see you doing things outside of school. They want to know you'll remain active in medical school, not only in improving the community (volunteering), but also in exploring your interest and goals in medicine. Now that doesn't mean you have to commit 10 hours a week to shadowing and volunteering. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to maybe volunteer 1 hour a week and shadow 2-3 hours a week or maybe even volunteer 1 hour every other week and shadow 2-3 hour every other week. It's basically going to depend on how you manage your schedule. Basically, what I am saying is that just do what you can, but don't try to overwhelm yourself and don't forget that what's most important is doing well in your medical school classes.

Here's my situation. I am gearing up to re-apply. I've had three interviews and been wait-listed/deferred at all three schools. I don't really know where I stand on these wait-lists and I may only find out soon from one school. I applied to the SMP based on how my cycle was going, which I am incredibly thankful that I did. I know it's still early but June is right around the corner and I guess I was wondering how students have handled this situation in the past. Obviously I may have a shot of getting off of a wait-list, but I don't want to be dead in the water and applying late next cycle because I waited around. Also, I have heard a lot of people apply after the completion of this program to be able to list their updated grades on the application. I have a ~3.5 and a 32 MCAT. So I am borderline in terms of applying while in the program. Another motivating factor for me to re-apply quickly is that I am a fifth-year senior and doing the SMP as well as waiting a full year to apply would not be ideal, but something I could definitely deal with.
I know this has been discussed a bit throughout various threads, but I was wondering if a current student (or anyone for that matter) on this thread could shed some light on the subject.

Here's my situation. I am gearing up to re-apply. I've had three interviews and been wait-listed/deferred at all three schools. I don't really know where I stand on these wait-lists and I may only find out soon from one school. I applied to the SMP based on how my cycle was going, which I am incredibly thankful that I did. I know it's still early but June is right around the corner and I guess I was wondering how students have handled this situation in the past. Obviously I may have a shot of getting off of a wait-list, but I don't want to be dead in the water and applying late next cycle because I waited around. Also, I have heard a lot of people apply after the completion of this program to be able to list their updated grades on the application. I have a ~3.5 and a 32 MCAT. So I am borderline in terms of applying while in the program. Another motivating factor for me to re-apply quickly is that I am a fifth-year senior and doing the SMP as well as waiting a full year to apply would not be ideal, but something I could definitely deal with.
I know this has been discussed a bit throughout various threads, but I was wondering if a current student (or anyone for that matter) on this thread could shed some light on the subject.

You can also apply this cycle so you won't have additional gap year. Cinci is pretty good at getting people in same year, especially for people with borderline stats

Yeah I am trying to decide between applying this cycle or taking a gap year, I did a poor job of explaining that in my original post.

Two out of the three I am wait listed at are state schools the other one is out of state but it gives preference to people from my state if that makes sense.

Ah, gotcha. I feel like if you are good enough to get waitlisted then you are good enough to get in same year with decent mid year SMP update. Why take a gap year if you don't have to right? Any particular reason why you might not want to take a chance this year?

So, I believe there was some mention of a Facebook group earlier? :whistle:

(Complete 3/18, Accepted 4/2 , For anyone attempting to rationalize their email-checking ;) )

Last edited:

(Complete 2/18, Accepted 4/2 , For anyone attempting to rationalize their email-checking ;) )

You should get a invite from Mrs Cummins after you send in your deposit

^^ Thanks for the info

(edit: mis-typed my completion date earlier)

Ah, gotcha. I feel like if you are good enough to get waitlisted then you are good enough to get in same year with decent mid year SMP update. Why take a gap year if you don't have to right? Any particular reason why you might not want to take a chance this year?

I just read a lot of people saying that they waited and they didn't recommend applying right away. I guess I am just second guessing myself!

I just read a lot of people saying that they waited and they didn't recommend applying right away. I guess I am just second guessing myself!
I recommend applying when AMCAS opens up. Most people my year applied and most of them got in.

(Complete 3/18, Accepted 4/2 , For anyone attempting to rationalize their email-checking ;) )
Do you mind sharing your stats? I was complete a few days after yours was and if you were accepted today, I am hoping to hear back sometime next week

I recommend applying when AMCAS opens up. Most people my year applied and most of them got in.
Do you know whether most students were reapplicants or not? I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as @ScarletandGray and I'm wondering if being a reapplicant makes a difference.