University of Cincinnati SMP Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck on the waitlists DrVanNostran! I was waitlisted at two places last year when I applied to the SMP and was never accepted. :( The waiting game is horrible.
I am the one student in the SMP who is going osteopathic (we did have one other student receive an ostepathic acceptance, but he is going to be going to an allopathic program). If anyone has any questions about the SMP or anything at all, feel free to PM me.

Just to let everyone know - the pool has been super competitive this year. I think they have had over 200 applicants for 20 spots, so it's a pretty big group. I wish you all good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

drvan~
do you know if umdnj's biomedical program consists of actual medical school classes? i'm guessing the tulane program isn't......?

Good luck on the waitlists DrVanNostran! I was waitlisted at two places last year when I applied to the SMP and was never accepted. :( The waiting game is horrible.
I am the one student in the SMP who is going osteopathic (we did have one other student receive an ostepathic acceptance, but he is going to be going to an allopathic program). If anyone has any questions about the SMP or anything at all, feel free to PM me.

Just to let everyone know - the pool has been super competitive this year. I think they have had over 200 applicants for 20 spots, so it's a pretty big group. I wish you all good luck! :)

Grats on your acceptance!! You must be really relieved to know that you will be heading somewhere this fall:)

Members don't see this ad :)
drvan~
do you know if umdnj's biomedical program consists of actual medical school classes? i'm guessing the tulane program isn't......?

For UMDNJ, I believe you can take UP TO two medical classes, not really sure how it is structured they are more flexible with the schedules, but seems really good. As for Tulane, I can't say for certain, but I believe you take medical pharmacology. I just want something to do this fall, I am sure you feel the same way:oops:

Below is the response from Dr. Robert Banks to my inquiry on my application status, I think it has useful info for all who applied:

Dear Dr__Robert:

I can understand your frustration. What I can tell you is that you are very high on our wait list. I can also tell you that, as of today, there are 16 students who have accepted offers to enter the fall class. BUT there are another 32 students with MCAT scores of 30 and above who will be reviewed within the next month (or when their applications are completed); and the application portal is still open until June 1!

Based on our past experience, this will be a very dynamic process right up to our orientation date of August 8. Even though students have accepted offers to enter our program, that does not mean they will matriculate (students moved into and out of that pool throughout most of July last year). So it is very difficult for me to definitely say what your chances are at this time. On the other hand, I will have a much better idea of where the class is at in mid June or early July.

I realize this information may not be of tremendous help and I wish I could give you more definitive information. On the other hand it is the best I can do as of today.

Please feel free to contact me if you require additional information.

Below is the response from Dr. Robert Banks to my inquiry on my application status, I think it has useful info for all who applied:

Dear Dr__Robert:

I can understand your frustration. What I can tell you is that you are very high on our wait list. I can also tell you that, as of today, there are 16 students who have accepted offers to enter the fall class. BUT there are another 32 students with MCAT scores of 30 and above who will be reviewed within the next month (or when their applications are completed); and the application portal is still open until June 1!

Based on our past experience, this will be a very dynamic process right up to our orientation date of August 8. Even though students have accepted offers to enter our program, that does not mean they will matriculate (students moved into and out of that pool throughout most of July last year). So it is very difficult for me to definitely say what your chances are at this time. On the other hand, I will have a much better idea of where the class is at in mid June or early July.

I realize this information may not be of tremendous help and I wish I could give you more definitive information. On the other hand it is the best I can do as of today.

wow thanx.....that was actually *very* helpful and informative.....
but booo to my 29 MCAT and *complete* application.....guess that confirms my chances are close to nil at this point......:cry:

For UMDNJ, I believe you can take UP TO two medical classes, not really sure how it is structured they are more flexible with the schedules, but seems really good. As for Tulane, I can't say for certain, but I believe you take medical pharmacology. I just want something to do this fall, I am sure you feel the same way:oops:

UMDNJ application.....here i come~
i think i'm also gonna apply to vcu....have you looked into that program? seems pretty good~ very similar to evms (except with *extremely* lower odds....but can't be too picky at this point) :cool:

wow thanx.....that was actually *very* helpful and informative.....
but booo to my 29 MCAT and *complete* application.....guess that confirms my chances are close to nil at this point......:cry:

I wouldn't be so sure that you have no chance princess -- I also have a 29 MCAT (10P 9V 10B P-WS), and it seems like I have *some* chance of being accepted. I wouldn't give up hope just yet -- you may also want to contact Dr. Banks for your admission status.

I wouldn't be so sure that you have no chance princess -- I also have a 29 MCAT (10P 9V 10B P-WS), and it seems like I have *some* chance of being accepted. I wouldn't give up hope just yet -- you may also want to contact Dr. Banks for your admission status.

Oh I remember your stats now! You have almost *exactly* same stats as me~ (cum: 3.4; bcpm: ~3.2; identical mcat score on every section as well as writing....) lol....yay! i see light at the end of the tunnel!! :laugh: do you by any chance of dr. banks number? (p.s. aren't you already in evms?)

Oh I remember your stats now! You have almost *exactly* same stats as me~ (cum: 3.4; bcpm: ~3.2; identical mcat score on every section as well as writing....) lol....yay! i see light at the end of the tunnel!! :laugh: do you by any chance of dr. banks number? (p.s. aren't you already in evms?)

Yes, we have very similar stats, and like I said I therefore would not give up. I do not have Dr. Banks' phone #, but his e-mail address is: [email protected]

Yes, I am already in EVMS and I'm 99% sure that I'm going there, but I sent out all of these apps at the same time, and I just wonder what I can get in terms of acceptances and scholarships. But like I said I'm 99% sure that EVMS is the place fore me.. probably more like 99.99% actually.

UMDNJ application.....here i come~
i think i'm also gonna apply to vcu....have you looked into that program? seems pretty good~ very similar to evms (except with *extremely* lower odds....but can't be too picky at this point) :cool:

I dont think I am going to apply to VCU, i think I have applied to ten smps, I just need one =) If I don't get accepted to any, I probably will just work in the ER for a year and take 2 upper level sciences courses at UIC.

Dear Dr__Robert:

I called today and was basically told the same thing (i.e. movement into/out of the class until july, etc.)...also their rankings are done on a scale of 1-5, apparently they contacted all or most of the 5's so far...and when/if they get to 4 (which I and many other ppl are in) they'll re-rank those in the '4' group and send out acceptances until they get their class filled....basically it means, if you haven't heard from them by now you might be in fora 4-6 week wait before you get notified...which is absolutelllyyy fantastic :(

e-mailed Dr. Banks yesterday......got my informal rejection today in his reply.....guess i know what to expect in my mailbox soon......:cry:

Members don't see this ad :)
e-mailed Dr. Banks yesterday......got my informal rejection today in his reply.....guess i know what to expect in my mailbox soon......:cry:

Sorry to hear :( But, at least you will have company in your sadness. I will be joining you once I get my offical letter as well. Hopefully we hear something positive soon.

Sorry to hear about that! But you're doing exactly the right thing - thinking about what you're going to do next :)
Good luck with your future plans :)

For those of you who got rejected, what were you stats (GPAs, Work, Volunteer, MCATs, etc.) I am starting freak out now.

if 'DrVanNostran' got rejected...im soon to follow

For those of you who got rejected, what were you stats (GPAs, Work, Volunteer, MCATs, etc.) I am starting freak out now.

3.6 UGRAD, 3.4 BCPM, 4.0 MPH, 30M (8V, 11P, 11B)

if 'DrVanNostran' got rejected...im soon to follow

I wouldnt worry about it. I am a rare breed, hopefully you get much better news. I am just hoping to get into EVMS or Tulane. So far a few WLs and still waiting to hear...

Was accepted a while ago, I sent in my $500 deposit but considering withdrawing it...

I had 3.3 GPA, 3.2 BCPM, 31S MCAT score... pretty standard work and volunteer experiences. They seem to see a lot of potential so hence the acceptance. Any questions, let me know.

I talked to the program coordinator Karen and she was really nice. I was thinking about applying and she gave really helpful info. And to those who have great stats but didn't get in it's probably because they don't think they can help you much.She was telling me how their program is geared towards students who don't have the highest GPA or MCAT. So if your scores are pretty good you actually might not get it. I'm not applying this cycle but I just wanted to pass on the info.

hey everyone..
i got accepted to uc back in mid april i think..
3.4 overall gpa and a 34 MCAT
i put as the reason for wanting to do the program was to raise my GPA since i had an overall decreasing trend undergrad.. but i was just wondering for those that did get in.. where are you looking for an apartment at??

oh and I do have a question. I know I cincinnati is my first choice, should i apply early decision even though I'm out of state? I figured going through their program will give me a great chance of getting in the med school... any thoughts? And does anyone know what they do with students that go through this program and then their med school? I was just wondering since you take 3 of their courses, do they let you take them again or what?

I know I cincinnati is my first choice, should i apply early decision even though I'm out of state? I figured going through their program will give me a great chance of getting in the med school... any thoughts? And does anyone know what they do with students that go through this program and then their med school? I was just wondering since you take 3 of their courses, do they let you take them again or what?

hi there, i'm in this years class. i want to say that everybody that applied to uc did so regular app...i'm not 100% sure though. idk what to tell you about that though, i don't know a lot about early decision in general. dr. banks is great about sending update letters though, to both uc and other schools that you have on your amcas, he includes how you're doing in classes and what your rank would be in the med school class, this can be done even after the first set of exams. i was accepted to uc's med school and i will be retaking the classes, because their med school has an integrated curriculum. they decided that people accepted from the uc post bacc would retake them again...at first i was looking forward to doing a research project or something, but now i've come around to thinking it's for the best...you are getting the whole package that way and you won't miss out on things/be alienated from the other first years. and it might be a long time to remember that stuff well for step 1 usmles.

my 2 cents on apartments: visit here and pick it out if at all possible (read the survival guide on the uc phys website!!). there are TONS of rental options (complexes, houses, duplexes, buildings, etc) and dozens of neighborhoods..it's worth a trip out if you can make it to pick out somewhere that you like and will have what you need. i think this years class there were a lot of people in clifton, which is where a lot of uc students live in general and then there was a group of us in east hyde park and oakley at centennial station apartments. as a few guys found out this year...craigslist can be deceptive!
:luck:

I got accepted in this program by email about a week after they received my LORs. I turned down the offer ultimately (instead choosing to do research), but I'd say they respond fairly quickly. Good luck everyone.

We also just started a new shadowing program (PCOP) and a couple of us have been able to shadow in internal med, neuro, and critical care. This program is literally just getting off the ground, but it should be much more organized next year.

Hey Farmy, you forgot about me with my Family Practice shadowing. ;)

*EVERYTHING* minus the 6/19 sounds awesome! :rolleyes: the stats of those who get accepted into allopathic schools 5/19 is slightly disheartening.......:( but in the glass is half *full* perspective......that's an amazing percentage in comparison to my chances of making it into med school currently w/out the smp......:p

I think it's now 7/19 with 6/19, with one of our members getting picked from a waitlist.

Well, I think there are some other factors that go into that number. 1) There were 3 people who left the program. 2) I believe at least 2 people did not apply for the 2007 entering class 3) There was me, who applied to one school and I am currently wait-listed there.

I believe it should be stressed that you my have a gap year after attending this program. The interviewer at Wayne State made sure to mention to me that some people on the AD com may not take into consideration my grades from this program because they came in after certain deadlines. I have not confirmed this, but I have a big belief that this is one of the key factors as to why I was wait-listed.

And btw, my condolences to all those people getting rejected. I don't know if I would have gotten in if I had applied this year. :eek:

Having just completed the Tulane Pharm program I can tell you that you have a curriculum basically centered on the system based blocks of medical pharmacology. Either semester you have 4 or 5 classes focused on various aspects of pharmacology and for most of the year coincide with what you're learning about in Med Pharm. If you all have any specific questions about the program feel free to ask. I LOVED my experience here thus far at Tulane.

I briefly emailed back and forth with Dr. Banks earlier this week. I won't post the email in its entirety (basically because I didn't ask if I could), but he mentioned a meeting later this week.

Maybe some movement?

Who's Dr. Banks and what his his/her email? I've called Karen Coleman about 15 times since march and she's never picked up her phone or responded to voice messages. I haven't heard anything from this school since I submitted my app in march... anyone have a number or email address I can use to contact someone at the school? thanks

I just got accepted, so to those of you who wish to know, my stats were:

Cum GPA: 3.5
BCPM: 3.2
MCAT: 34

I wish all of you good luck!

has anyone else heard back? the class was almost full about a month ago..so im guessing its full or close to it now...any thoughts?

I'm in! And excited! Where do people live? Hyde park sounds awesome but expensive... anybody know if Oakley is a decent area? I know tons of people live in Clifton too. I'm from Cali and probably won't have a chance to visit beforehand. Anyways, cheers to all my future classmates and look forward to meeting ya'll soon!

I'm in! And excited! Where do people live? Hyde park sounds awesome but expensive... anybody know if Oakley is a decent area? I know tons of people live in Clifton too. I'm from Cali and probably won't have a chance to visit beforehand. Anyways, cheers to all my future classmates and look forward to meeting ya'll soon!

Here is my opinion. If you have no way of looking before you lease, do not live in Clifton. I live in Clifton, but I live in Frat row near Startford heights. My place is nice, and the area is safe because of the frats (I know that sounds crazy, but it is) but Clifton is really spotty on places being nice, and neighborhoods being anything you would want to walk through at night. Though the Clifton Gaslight is nice, but still, you would want to check out the places.

So I would say, if you are going to grab something sight unseen, go with Hyde Park, but I haven't really had too much experience with Oakely.

But if you still wish to walk and not drive, there are the expensive nice places just south of the hospital, and there are a few places just south of the hospital, in what I think they call Correyville, but again, you would want to check them out, or have someone else check them out for you, in my opinion.

any ppl currently on the alternate/hold lists heard anything back from the program?...i am currently on the former and 99% sure I have gotten reeeeejected..ugh

Does anyone know if I can use medical school recommendation letters/composite letters for medical school as an acceptable replacement for the recommendation letter requirement for applying to the University of Cincinnati's SMP?

Hey braluk,

I am accepted to the tulane pharm program and the UC physiology program. Not surprisingly, I am undecided on where to go. I live in Texas so NOLA is tempting but I read good things about both programs. My stats are a 3.56 gpa with strong upward trend and a 32 MCAT (B10, V9,P12) along with cliinical experience/ volunteering/EMT. I didnt get an interview anywhere so that was pretty disheartening the first round of applications.