University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know if staying at campus village at cu-denver is any good?!?! what about the inn at auraria. please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know if staying at campus village at cu-denver is any good?!?! what about the inn at auraria. please let me know!

I've wondered what those new communities were like myself. They were established because the Auraria campus downtown is mostly a commuter campus. They've been trying to get some kind of campus spirit going.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to live with one to three other people (undergrads yet) with a monthly housing expense that's nearly equal to what I pay living alone in a one-bedroom apartment. I imagine there's a lot of socializing that goes on, so some people might really like it.

I've never been in them but Campus dorms seem kinda "meh". Students from all three schools on Auraria Campus (UCD, CCD, and Metro) all live there and the dorms on Auraria always look empty when I pass them on the train. I go to school at CU Denver and the people who live there don't seem to enjoy it. It doesn't make sense since Auraria is a commuter campus. I guess maybe they're trying to get more out of state students, but if I was in that position I'd just go to school up in Boulder.

Also the dorm is shoved into the back of campus near the parking lot where nearly all assaults happen on campus. Every semester there's a mugging or a sexual assault on that part of campus because it's poorly lit and easy to drag someone under the I-25 ramps.

I'd strongly suggest living in an apartment rather than the dorms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

If anyone is still looking for a place to live, send me a message. I am a full time student at CU Denver, and pre-dental student. My house is 5 minutes from Fitzsimmons, and a 25 minute drive to the 9th and CO campus (I work at the hospital, so drive down there very often).

It's fairly cheap, with lots of amenities.

Did everyone get their immunization sheet signed off by your doctor? It is due June 1st. Also, don't forget to send the school two copies of your Spring transcripts.

you can't finish the HEP B one .. it takes too long.

I remember stressing out last summer about the immunizations. Just get as much done as you can before school starts, then get the last HepB later in the semester. Nobody with hassle you for your completed immunization form. I think I gave the experiential office a copy of the form in progress with a note explaining the time table for completion. You'll have time to get everything done.

Hey everyone who knows me. I am in Morocco, Africa right now with my church doing some charity work. It is so exciting. I recommond to everyone starting this Fall to go out and travel a bit before we start. The weekend after I get back I am going on a four day cruise so hopefully I will be well rested before we start school. Ok, that's all. Goodbye from Africa. (That sounds so cool!) :cool:

Hey everyone who knows me. I am in Morocco, Africa right now with my church doing some charity work. It is so exciting. I recommond to everyone starting this Fall to go out and travel a bit before we start. The weekend after I get back I am going on a four day cruise so hopefully I will be well rested before we start school. Ok, that's all. Goodbye from Africa. (That sounds so cool!) :cool:

I thought the idea behind the immunizations was to make sure you were protected, not to expose yourself to more disease. I think your working backwards little lady. Sounds like you are having a great summer.

Has anyone heard anything as far as financial aid, class schedule, etc.?

I put in for the reconsideration of income forms through the university and have yet to hear anything back. I had my financial aid done months ago, but I have no idea what I do with that amount lol! I guess we will hear something from the school ... ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I put in for the reconsideration of income forms through the university and have yet to hear anything back. I had my financial aid done months ago, but I have no idea what I do with that amount lol! I guess we will hear something from the school ... ?

I've been wondering about the financial aid stuff, too. I faxed in all my University forms over a month ago and have yet to hear anything. I did submit a reconsideration of income form, and heard back that my EFC had been adjusted, but that's it. And even then, that's a total joke - my $36000 drop in income for this coming year only dropped my EFC by like $500. What the hell? Hopefully you have better luck with it!

I've been wondering about the financial aid stuff, too. I faxed in all my University forms over a month ago and have yet to hear anything. I did submit a reconsideration of income form, and heard back that my EFC had been adjusted, but that's it. And even then, that's a total joke - my $36000 drop in income for this coming year only dropped my EFC by like $500. What the hell? Hopefully you have better luck with it!

I've been writing the school back and forth. The reconsideration forms, from what they say, allow you to get access to low interest loans and some grants. It takes about four weeks they say... I've waited just as long as you and haven't heard anything so I'm getting a little nervous. It will take care of itself though, I'm sure of it.

Hey...

This is my first post on this forum. So I suppose I should introduce myself a little. I'm from California and I have also been accepted to Colorado for the PharmD. program this coming fall. It seems that a lot of people are nervous about the financial aid stuff and other things but I just wanted to say not to worry, like Shaun009 said everything will take care of itself. I actually submitted my financial aid along with faxing everything over to Colorado sometime in March and it took them close to 2 months to get back to me. I actually recieved my financial aid papers from them about a week something ago. So it should all be coming soon for everyone also.

I have a question about the Colorado internship license form:

What do I list as my "original date of enrollment"? Would I put August 17th, the first day of classes, do I list the date I got my acceptance letter?

Thanks!

I have a question about the Colorado internship license form:

What do I list as my "original date of enrollment"? Would I put August 17th, the first day of classes, do I list the date I got my acceptance letter?

Thanks!

Hmmm.......That is a great question. I would think you would go with the August date...but I am not sure. I will give them a call in the morning and post the answer.

Would any current, out-of-state students mind sharing their experiences with financial aid the first time around. Could you provide a timeline of the events from completing your FAFSA to starting school with the money you needed. For example...
1. completed fafsa
2. got award letter
3. applied for other loans to cover the remainder
4. found an apartment
5. used loans/award money to pay for apartment...

I'm still at #1 and am not sure what to expect next. Also, how much money did you have saved prior to starting school (money that you saved from working or otherwise, but NOT financial aid money. Did you apply this money toward your living expenses?)

Thank you in advance.

-Shaun

Just got the email about CPR and AED certification... would have been nice if they listed this requirement in the acceptance letter three months ago.

Any idea on where I can go to get certified? I emailed the red cross but they don't offer a course that does Adult, Infant & Child CPR and AED... usually it's just Adult CPR and AED or Adult, infant and child CPR with no AED training. Really don't want to have to pay for two separate classes.

Just got the email about CPR and AED certification... would have been nice if they listed this requirement in the acceptance letter three months ago.

Any idea on where I can go to get certified? I emailed the red cross but they don't offer a course that does Adult, Infant & Child CPR and AED... usually it's just Adult CPR and AED or Adult, infant and child CPR with no AED training. Really don't want to have to pay for two separate classes.

Yeah, I checked into the Red Cross classes, too, and ended up enrolling in an Adult CPR w/ AED and a Child/Infant CPR class. It's basically 2 4-hour classes instead of an 8 hour one. It it a bit more expensive b/c you have to pay for 2 classes instead of one, but that's really the only option I could find. There are a few other places I found that offer training in the Denver area, but none of them encompass all the stuff either. I agree it would have been nice to know earlier than this, but at least the Red Cross does tons of classes in the summertime, so finding one shouldn't be hard.

Yeah, I checked into the Red Cross classes, too, and ended up enrolling in an Adult CPR w/ AED and a Child/Infant CPR class. It's basically 2 4-hour classes instead of an 8 hour one. It it a bit more expensive b/c you have to pay for 2 classes instead of one, but that's really the only option I could find. There are a few other places I found that offer training in the Denver area, but none of them encompass all the stuff either. I agree it would have been nice to know earlier than this, but at least the Red Cross does tons of classes in the summertime, so finding one shouldn't be hard.

I just found this course (http://www.cocprassn.com/hp.html) and emailed UCHSC asking if this would be sufficient. I called the organization and they confirmed it covers adult, child, infant and AED. Hopefully it'll work out since it's a single course and only $59. I also asked UCHSC that if this one isn't appropriate if they could tell me where I should look for a class that'll cover everything they want. I'll update when I get a reply.

Hi everyone,

I found out that the city of Westminster offers a CPR class with AED. I called and spoke to a lady named Tracy she states you are trained adult/infant/child. I'm personally going to take the class with CPR/First aid. I thought it would be useful information, but check out the website..the classes for june 13 are already full, the class on july 14 has 25 seats with 11 seats available. There phone# is 303-430-2400 ext 4500

http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/test/cms/fdcommserv_classes.htm

That sucks that you have to go through all that. The class I am taking does the adult, infant, and child w/ aed in 3 hours for $25. Glad i am not in Denver just yet.

I have called about the intern form about 3 times. Every time I call the lady she is "Not in right now." I wish I had her job. I left a message and the lady said she would call me back. When I know....I'll post the answer.

Just got an email from Cindy Subia that okayed the classes I linked to in my last post. I think I'm going to stick with them. If anyone wants to sign up for the same date let me know, it'd be fun to start to get to meet you guys.

Hi JSharxpy17,

I'm also going to be taking a CPR class at the Red Cross. I wanted to let you know that I e-mailed Cindy to ask her if this one class Adult, Child & Infant CPR would satisfy the requirement or would I have to take two classes Adult CPR/AED and Child & Infant CPR like you and her reply was Adult, Child & Infant CPR class works just fine. This would save you on having to pay for two classes not to mention it would save you time. Hope this helps.

Did everyone get their immunization sheet signed off by your doctor? It is due June 1st. Also, don't forget to send the school two copies of your Spring transcripts.

I think my spring transcripts will be ready, but where do you send them?

the office of student services..?

I think my spring transcripts will be ready, but where do you send them?

the office of student services..?

You mail your updated transcripts to:
UCHSC
School of Pharmacy
Office of Student Services
4200 East 9th Ave Campus Box 238
Denver, CO. 80262

Just out of curiosity for the out-of-staters....When about are you planning on moving to CO? I am moving middle of July so that I can get to know the area a little better before school starts. Can't wait to meet all of you!!

I'm moving out at the end of July, but I wish I could get out there sooner!
It's gonna be a loooong drive...

I'm moving out at the end of July, but I wish I could get out there sooner!
It's gonna be a loooong drive...

Where are you coming from? Can you believe we are moving soon? I can not believe how fast this summer has gone. I am going up to Denver Thursday for the weekend to check out apartments! I am so excited! This will be the first time I will be able to actually check out Denver. At the interview I didn't stay long enough to experience it.

In-staters...any suggestions as to what to check out while I am there? Even restaurants and what not. Thanks. See you soon!!!

I'm going to be driving out from NJ. It's around a 2000 mile trip...ouch.
I can't believe it's all coming up so soon either; it's weird to be counting down in weeks instead of months!
Good luck apartment hunting to you and everyone else that will be doing it soon!:)

Best of luck with the drive iheartchem. It's not too bad. I've driven from Boston to Denver. I'm guessing you're taking I-80?

Rxcrystal, 16th street mall is worth checking out. It's right in the middle of downtown. Plenty of food options down there. On Market and 16th there's Crocs (mexican) and Two-Fisted Mario's (pizza) which are both delicious. Near Union Station there is The Wynkoop which serves good pub food and they brew their own beers.

There's Pasquini's which is also pizza and Italian. I know there's one location on Broadway but there might be one closer to downtown.

You could always just drive down I-70 and take a peak at the mountains. In Idaho Springs there's a place called Beau Jo's that does pizza but they call it "mountain pie" and you eat it with honey.

Where are you coming from? Can you believe we are moving soon? I can not believe how fast this summer has gone. I am going up to Denver Thursday for the weekend to check out apartments! I am so excited! This will be the first time I will be able to actually check out Denver. At the interview I didn't stay long enough to experience it.

In-staters...any suggestions as to what to check out while I am there? Even restaurants and what not. Thanks. See you soon!!!

Depends do you want to live at 9th or the new campus? Still unsure on where we will be.

Depends do you want to live at 9th or the new campus? Still unsure on where we will be.

9th and Colorado offers free transportation to new campus.. it doesn't really matter where you live. equidistance is best i'm sure.

Just out of curiosity for the out-of-staters....When about are you planning on moving to CO? I am moving middle of July so that I can get to know the area a little better before school starts. Can't wait to meet all of you!!

I am moving to Denver next Friday. It did not sink in until about two days ago when someone reminded me I was leaving. Good luck with your apt. search.... it will be loads of fun :smuggrin:

Best of luck with the drive iheartchem. It's not too bad. I've driven from Boston to Denver. I'm guessing you're taking I-80?

Rxcrystal, 16th street mall is worth checking out. It's right in the middle of downtown. Plenty of food options down there. On Market and 16th there's Crocs (mexican) and Two-Fisted Mario's (pizza) which are both delicious. Near Union Station there is The Wynkoop which serves good pub food and they brew their own beers.

There's Pasquini's which is also pizza and Italian. I know there's one location on Broadway but there might be one closer to downtown.

You could always just drive down I-70 and take a peak at the mountains. In Idaho Springs there's a place called Beau Jo's that does pizza but they call it "mountain pie" and you eat it with honey.

Thanks for the encouragement! Yep, it's I-80 pretty much the whole way for me too. I can't believe you drove from Boston! Do you have any suggestions for interesting sites/places to stop in Iowa and Nebraska?
Btw, definitely agree with you on Beau Jo's-- I went to the mtns when I was out for the interview and stopped to eat there--it's delicious!

Thanks for the encouragement! Yep, it's I-80 pretty much the whole way for me too. I can't believe you drove from Boston! Do you have any suggestions for interesting sites/places to stop in Iowa and Nebraska?
Btw, definitely agree with you on Beau Jo's-- I went to the mtns when I was out for the interview and stopped to eat there--it's delicious!

As a person who grew up in Iowa and Nebraska and has made the drive across I-80 through these states several times, I can say with the utmost confidence that there is not really anything interesting to see in either of these states. You will see a lot of corn, but that's about it. There's not really anything so incredible in Des Moines, Omaha, or Lincoln that merits actually stopping to see. I made the drive last weekend and noticed there are a lot of wineries popping up in Iowa, some of them close to I-80, so if that's your kind of thing, that might be interesting. But basically just same old stuff you find anywhere - state capitals, state history museums, etc.
Have a fun drive :laugh:

There's not much to see in Nebraska or Iowa and I only stopped for the necessities. There is that Wild West museum thing in Nebraska that stretches over the interstate but I've never stopped at it. The best thing I can say about I-80 is that there are plenty of gas stations, rest stops, and hotels. Oh and also it's free... from Boston I did part of the trip on I-90 and had to pay tolls the entire way until I got to Chicago.

Watch out though when you get to I-76, it is kinda desolate, the roads suck, and there's quite a distance between exits that have gas. You don't want to get stranded in eastern Colorado.

9th and Colorado offers free transportation to new campus.. it doesn't really matter where you live. equidistance is best i'm sure.

Which would put you in the heart of hardcore Colfax which I do not recommend. The free transport may end on the second of July but I hope it doesnt.

I would hope that the various schools will get together and figure out some sort of transportation for students when we move campuses, especially for you p1's since it will likely be in the middle of the semester. People in my class made it quite clear that they were really going to be screwing with people's transportation situations when they moved campuses.

I would hope that the various schools will get together and figure out some sort of transportation for students when we move campuses, especially for you p1's since it will likely be in the middle of the semester. People in my class made it quite clear that they were really going to be screwing with people's transportation situations when they moved campuses.

I think there are going to be many surprises in the coming year with respect to campus relocation. I don't think anyone is actually driving that truck. It's just careening down Colfax to Aurora.

Hmmm... if only the could comp us some of our tuition should this become one big ole clusterf***. I really feel sorry for the faculty who'll have to scuttle between the two campuses if they really do start us P1's at Anschutz and keep everyone else at 9th.

Hmmm... if only the could comp us some of our tuition should this become one big ole clusterf***. I really feel sorry for the faculty who'll have to scuttle between the two campuses if they really do start us P1's at Anschutz and keep everyone else at 9th.

The only thing I am worried about is the parking pass. If I get a pass and its good for both campuses then I'll be cool. If they try to make me buy two different ones.......then I will have to drive to 9th and skateboard to fitz. Which will not work out so well in the winter. I looked at the website but it mainly talks about faculty parking. I guess its just the waiting game now.

The only thing I am worried about is the parking pass. If I get a pass and its good for both campuses then I'll be cool. If they try to make me buy two different ones.......then I will have to drive to 9th and skateboard to fitz. Which will not work out so well in the winter. I looked at the website but it mainly talks about faculty parking. I guess its just the waiting game now.

Skateboarding down Colfax is probably something you absolutely do not want to do. Colfax isn't dangerous, but it's shady (aka where all the prostitutes are). Take the bus would be my suggestion.

No clue about parking either. I called them up months ago and they were clueless on the whole thing. If they knew where we'd start at I'd just go ahead and get a permit now. Oh well, we'll figure it out in a month and a half hopefully.

As a current employee of UCHSC, here's what I know about the parking -- right now parking passes are interchangeable between the two campuses. If you have a 9th ave permit, you just have to display it in your car and can park at Fitz, and visa versa. There's a girl in my lab who now works primarily at the new campus and still uses her 9th permit. However, I do know that they are in the process of putting up gates on the Fitz lots, I believe, so who knows how that will change. Unless we get letters saying we'll be starting out at Fitz, then I'd say get a permit at 9th ave and you can switch it when the time comes. And despite what they say about waiting lists for parking and it being hard to get, parking is definitely easy to come by at 9th ave right now. The main parking garage has no waiting lists. With the big move 2 years ago that took like 1/2 the research labs out to Aurora, and the move of the hospital last week, there are not a lot of people left at 9th. I think the main concern is the amount of parking available at the new campus. Whereas at the 9th ave campus you can park off-campus and walk in, this is not an option at the new campus. But I would think they'd be required to provide enough parking for everyone at the new campus since there is no other option.
Anyway, I hope this helps. I'd say plan on getting a permit at the 9th ave campus unless for some reason we get to start out at Fitz.

Skateboarding down Colfax is probably something you absolutely do not want to do.

Yeah, besides that it's about 6 miles between campuses... I was thinking this morning that it would have been a good exercise for administration to actually use one of the two bus routes that serve Fitz from the areas where many current students live. Both the 15 and 15L are experiences in and of themselves. The buses are often very crowded and, at certain times of day, used mostly by homeless people trying to get out of the weather.

Here's an entertaining article about the 15 that appeared in Westword a few years ago:

Route of Ill Repute