University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, besides that it's about 6 miles between campuses... I was thinking this morning that it would have been a good exercise for administration to actually use one of the two bus routes that serve Fitz from the areas where many current students live. Both the 15 and 15L are experiences in and of themselves. The buses are often very crowded and, at certain times of day, used mostly by homeless people trying to get out of the weather.

Here's an entertaining article about the 15 that appeared in Westword a few years ago:

Route of Ill Repute

That has got to be the most amusing thing I have read on here in awhile. There is no way on gods green earth that I will ride a skateboard when I can hop on the bus and get a glimpse of the "Black Leprechaun". I am moving closer to fitz so I was planning on skating there because it would not be that far away. I dont want to run into any street pharmacists so I'll just drive.

I know you guys are just giving us a heads up about which parts to stay out of....but sometimes I get the feeling I am moving to Detroit instead of Denver.

Thanks for all the info.

Members don't see this ad.

That stuff happens on every metro everyday in paris.. check it out.

Denver definitely isn't on par with the other cities like Detroit when it comes to crime. The bad areas are extremely localized and not too bad. Colfax and Five Points are the only two areas I can think of that I wouldn't want to stroll about at night in. It's not like Chicago where there were giant chunks of areas where I wouldn't want to be walking through in broad daylight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Denver definitely isn't on par with the other cities like Detroit when it comes to crime. The bad areas are extremely localized and not too bad. Colfax and Five Points are the only two areas I can think of that I wouldn't want to stroll about at night in. It's not like Chicago where there were giant chunks of areas where I wouldn't want to be walking through in broad daylight.

Five Points is the only area that I would never venture into at night. There is no area I won't go in the light of day. I regularly work at various Walgreens stores on Colfax. Other than an interesting patient population, there's no issue about Colfax - even at night. It's a part of Denver's personality and it's largely harmless unless one goes looking for trouble.

My big problem with the move is just the added commute time, but it looks like I may have found a way to avoid the 15 bus.

Hey guys,
This is a silly question, but does anyone know if there is a fitness center on campus, and if so, if the membership dues are included in the student fees of our cost of attendance?
From what I've been able to find online it looks like it might be a no, but I was hopeful anyways...

Hey guys,
This is a silly question, but does anyone know if there is a fitness center on campus, and if so, if the membership dues are included in the student fees of our cost of attendance?
From what I've been able to find online it looks like it might be a no, but I was hopeful anyways...

They told us during the interview session that there will be no fitness center.

They told us during the interview session that there will be no fitness center.

We have access to the fitness center on the Auraria campus downtown, but that's not convenient to most people. 24 Hour Fitness is always around trying to get money from us. I think the rate is $29 per month with a waived initiation fee. But, 24 Hour isn't exactly on the way home from Fitzsimmons either.

Has anyone gotten their financial stuff cleared??

Has anyone gotten their financial stuff cleared??

I got my offer a little over a week ago and signed and sent it back last week, then hopped online to fill out the Master Promissary Note for my Stafford loans and do the online entrance counseling. I must say that they came through with a way better financial aid package for me than I was expecting, so I was pleased.

Do they tell you how to apply for the Stafford in your award package? I have the MPN but haven't selected the type of Stafford loan yet because I have to wait for my award.

Do they tell you how to apply for the Stafford in your award package? I have the MPN but haven't selected the type of Stafford loan yet because I have to wait for my award.

The offer was basically just a sheet of paper that lists the loans/awards you qualified for, and for what amounts, and then you have to mark down how much you accept and sign it. Then on the back it tells you how to go online and fill out the MPN and do the entrance counseling (which I think is accessible through the schools financial aid website). You can fill out and submit the MPN online, so it's a fast process - can be done the same day you get your reward. So you can just wait on that. Although, I'm guessing that most people will probably have both sub. and unsub. Staffords since the max sub. you can qualify for is $5500, which is quite a bit lower than tuition! You might want to email the financial aid office and see when you can expect your award - that's what I did and they were able to tell me "We processed your stuff on this date and so you should see your package around such and such time, if you don't get it by this date contact us..." Then you might at least have an idea of when to expect things.

We have access to the fitness center on the Auraria campus downtown, but that's not convenient to most people. 24 Hour Fitness is always around trying to get money from us. I think the rate is $29 per month with a waived initiation fee. But, 24 Hour isn't exactly on the way home from Fitzsimmons either.
That's too bad.
Thanks for the info! :)

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I am!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a packet informing us that we won't move to the new campus until October 15th... there's also a line that says "students will be required to conduct some activities related to the move." So I assume we get to help them move... yay us.

I just got a packet informing us that we won't move to the new campus until October 15th... there's also a line that says "students will be required to conduct some activities related to the move." So I assume we get to help them move... yay us.

That's exactly what I was thinking :laugh:. I wonder how they grade moving boxes. I talked to a 4th year med student yesterday and she said they are running the shuttle to the new campus until next spring. No parking pass for me.:smuggrin:

That's exactly what I was thinking :laugh:. I wonder how they grade moving boxes. I talked to a 4th year med student yesterday and she said they are running the shuttle to the new campus until next spring. No parking pass for me.:smuggrin:

I'm sorry I didnt read the whole thread, but is parking a hassle at the old campus? The new campus will have a parking structure right?

I better get an A for moving boxes! I'm right now taking a break from packing up to move into my new house so my moving skills hopefully will compete with the P4s.

I should probably get on top of that whole parking pass thing. The packet also mentioned something about the student ID working as parking pass or something like that.

I better get an A for moving boxes! I'm right now taking a break from packing up to move into my new house so my moving skills hopefully will compete with the P4s.

I should probably get on top of that whole parking pass thing. The packet also mentioned something about the student ID working as parking pass or something like that.

I am with you on that one. I just got done getting everything into my new place. Maybe they set up your ID card so you can swipe it to get in.

I wonder if any of us will end up in the same skills development group.

I am with you on that one. I just got done getting everything into my new place. Maybe they set up your ID card so you can swipe it to get in.

I wonder if any of us will end up in the same skills development group.

Here's the scoop with parking -- apparently they are gating all the surface lots at the new campus that were previously just open (you had to display a parking tag). They are going to be linked to ID cards so if you pay for a parking pass at either one of the campuses, you will be able to use your ID card to get into the lots out there. Not sure if they'll do the same thing with the main parking structure at the old campus - right now you swipe your parking pass to get into that.
I got my packet the other day, too - anyone else have a crazy ID time - mine said 2:56 AM! I called just to double check that it really meant PM. It made me laugh, though! Looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation :luck:

So is there any particlar time to be there on the 17th? Well Ill be there in the wee hours of the morning since the badge time is the only mention other than finish the stuff by the end of the day. Seems like it will only take an hour or so anyways.

So is there any particlar time to be there on the 17th? Well Ill be there in the wee hours of the morning since the badge time is the only mention other than finish the stuff by the end of the day. Seems like it will only take an hour or so anyways.

My badge time was 2:28am... which I'm hoping is a mistake. I think things start at 8am but I might be wrong.

I haven't gotten this packet yet... I am from Phoenix though so I'm not sure..

At any rate, Grant Hill to Phx... good luck Lakers, looks like another year of falling to the Suns in the playoffs.

I haven't gotten this packet yet... I am from Phoenix though so I'm not sure..

At any rate, Grant Hill to Phx... good luck Lakers, looks like another year of falling to the Suns in the playoffs.

:rolleyes:

Got my packet, badge time 11:48 AM... Can't wait to meet you all and see those of you who I've met from Phoenix (i.e. Nick, Crystal & Chad).

Anyone here name Joseph from AZ? Looks like I accidently got your packet...

Anyone here name Joseph from AZ? Looks like I accidently got your packet...

Nice. I hope you got your own packet along with the spare. I think the school should give up on the Fitz idea and just move the sop to Arizona.

Nice. I hope you got your own packet along with the spare. I think the school should give up on the Fitz idea and just move the sop to Arizona.

hahaha...! no i actually want to move to denver!

Just moved here to Denver. Who is already here in town?

Just moved here to Denver. Who is already here in town?

I'm here - but then again, I've lived in the area for the last 5 years so I'm not a newcomer.
Feel free to give a shout out if you need any info about the area, etc. Welcome to Denver! :luck:

I'm not leaving until Aug 14:thumbup: I can't believe school is going to start soon. It still feels so surreal to me.

its good to see the new p1 class excited about coming to school ...

first stop elementary school visits .... and no it will not be pharmacy related (i hope you all have good culinary skills)

Wait, what..... little kids + food?

Wait, what..... little kids + food?

Yep, experiential the first year mostly consists of nearly weekly visits to an assigned elementary school class to teach simple nutrition modules (part of the activity is to make a snack). Don't worry about it, the lessons require minimal preparation and the visits are only an hour. I kind of enjoyed it.

The other part of experiential requires completion of five modules that are performed in a community pharmacy. The activities are really simple (checking expiration dates on products for example), but the write-ups are a real pain in the rear. You guys will love them. And I'll let you guys discover the joys of Dr. Turner on your own (in other words, you should be allowed to form your own opinions about him). You can check out the syllabus online to get started on that. :laugh:

I was wondering if anyone knows about buying books...does CU let you know before school starts which books to buy or do we find out about them the week of orientation? Just wondering since we only have about 16 days left before school starts....

I was wondering if anyone knows about buying books...does CU let you know before school starts which books to buy or do we find out about them the week of orientation? Just wondering since we only have about 16 days left before school starts....

I remember going through this last year. I'm sure an official list will come out eventually. I love books and my house is full of them. I bought just about everything that was on the list. I'll tell you two of which I never even cracked the spine:

Drug Information: A guide for pharmacists
Medical Terminology Simplified

Two books I recommend (and you'll be given an opportunity to buy them from student organizations during orientation) are:

Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs (in fact you can't do Skills without it)
Pharmacy Drug Cards

Buy judiciously. Professors are continually pushing books. If you're the type of person (like me) who learns well by reading books, then buy them. Talk to upperclassmen to see how they feel about the booklist.

Don't worry about trying to get all the books before school starts. They will go over all of that stuff with you during orrientation.

I'd agree with twester that the elementary school stuff is kind of fun. I personally really disliked the retail pharmacy experiental assignments, but there has to be someone out there that finds them fun.

patmcd - is your name Pat McDonald? Mine is Shaun Patrick McDonald, that's why I ask...

First couple of weeks have been very fun. I'm glad to finally be learning about what I want to learn about and not what I have to in order to get into pharmacy school! WOOT!

OMG, I'm right now in the new library at AMC. It puts Dennison to shame. Can't wait for the tour tomorrow of the educational buildings because if they're anything like this then I'm going to be pissed that they're possibly delaying the move for us P1s until the spring semester. Dear god, a PCLC with working recording devices, won't that be a treat.

can't wait.. but denison had a lot of character.

OMG, I'm right now in the new library at AMC. It puts Dennison to shame. Can't wait for the tour tomorrow of the educational buildings because if they're anything like this then I'm going to be pissed that they're possibly delaying the move for us P1s until the spring semester. Dear god, a PCLC with working recording devices, won't that be a treat.

I saw the campus for the first time yesterday when I set up my parking. I did not have a chance to check out the library because I had other things to do. I am sure there will be headaches associated with AMC. The reason I cant wait for tomorrow is free food. ha ha ha. Does anyone know what we are going to have?

I saw the campus for the first time yesterday when I set up my parking. I did not have a chance to check out the library because I had other things to do. I am sure there will be headaches associated with AMC. The reason I cant wait for tomorrow is free food. ha ha ha. Does anyone know what we are going to have?

lol word! jarvis said there was going to be news crews there.. i would have nice food if i knew that information!