University of Hawaii at Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on 4/14 and just received notice via e-mail today that I was also placed on the alternate list. Does anyone have an idea of how full the class is right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on 4/14 and just received notice via e-mail today that I was also placed on the alternate list. Does anyone have an idea of how full the class is right now?

Class is a little more than half full at the moment...

Well, I finally heard back form UH. They sent me an email on 5/5 notifying me that I have been waitlisted. I interviewed 4/15. Awesome.

Also, my theory still stands...if it has been 2 weeks or longer since your interview, and you havent heard back, theres an extremly high probability that you have been waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I finally heard back form UH. They sent me an email on 5/5 notifying me that I have been waitlisted. I interviewed 4/15. Awesome.

Also, my theory still stands...if it has been 2 weeks or longer since your interview, and you havent heard back, theres an extremly high probability that you have been waitlisted.

I was waitlisted for a month before they accepted me. They are on rolling admissions so it looks like they only accept a few people each round of interviews, but there is still hope. Just be patient and hopefully good news will come when you least expect it.

Anyone know what the job market is like in Hawaii. Can the grads stay and work there? I think the first class just graduated, correct? Thanks!

Aloha to the future class of 2015,

I literally just finished my last final exam for my P1 year at UH Hilo and I'm looking for 2 roommates preferably by this July/August. I hardly come on here, so if you have any questions about the COP program or are looking for a place to live, hit me up at [email protected].

My place is a huge 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house and I shot a video of it for anyone that would like the virtual tour. Mahalo!

-Chris

I just got accepted email this afternoon. Interviewed on Feb. 24 and was on waiting list.:)

I just got in this afternoon as well. interviewed same day.

The college of pharmacy received full accreditation this past week, may that allay anyones fear of attending this school :)

Best of luck to anyone still waiting.

The college of pharmacy received full accreditation this past week, may that allay anyones fear of attending this school :)

Best of luck to anyone still waiting.
.Was anyone able to achieve residency? I heard it's a big pain/ impossible!

Last edited:
It's been a while since I logged in, eep. Anyways, yes, there were students from the first graduating class that got residencies - I dunno the exact number though.

It's been a while since I logged in, eep. Anyways, yes, there were students from the first graduating class that got residencies - I dunno the exact number though.
Good to know it's not impossible. I just got accepted recently and had my mind set on another school; but since UNE (32.5K a year) is not accreditted yet, I am weighing my options. LOL They didn't get residency by getting married, did they? Thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure raving was referring to a post-grad residency, not Hawai'i residency for purposes of tuition.

Pretty sure raving was referring to a post-grad residency, not Hawai'i residency for purposes of tuition.
oh lol. I wonder if someone actually tries to get residency for tuition purposes, cuz the guideline for residency seems pretty detailed and straight forward!

Last edited:
oh lol. I wonder if someone actually tries to get residency for tuition purposes, cuz the guideline for residency seems pretty detailed and straight forward!

Oops, thought you were referring to post-grad residencies. As for getting one for tuition purposes, it's close to impossible. You'd have to move to Hawaii and stay for 12 months prior to the beginning of school - without taking any classes (not more than 6 units anyway). I'm from out of state and having been paying the ridiculous amount of tuition for the past 3-4 years. It's really unfair for charging tuition P4 year though, since you're technically not sitting in a classroom listening to anyone.

Some people tried getting their spouses to move here and sponsor(?) but that didn't work out either. Hope that kinda cleared things up.

Oops, thought you were referring to post-grad residencies. As for getting one for tuition purposes, it's close to impossible. You'd have to move to Hawaii and stay for 12 months prior to the beginning of school - without taking any classes (not more than 6 units anyway). I'm from out of state and having been paying the ridiculous amount of tuition for the past 3-4 years. It's really unfair for charging tuition P4 year though, since you're technically not sitting in a classroom listening to anyone.

Some people tried getting their spouses to move here and sponsor(?) but that didn't work out either. Hope that kinda cleared things up.
Thanks for clearing it up. :). I guess if we, out of state, decide to go to Hilo, then we''ll have to be prepared to pay 4 years of non-resident tuition. I was thinking about the 4th year tuition also; at least give us a discount or something lol. Since the school is still responsible for us, I guess they are entitled to charge tuition. Do you like the program? Campus? living in Hilo? A friend of my friend is actually a P2 at Hilo, and she doesn't like it that much and advised my friend to give up a seat for Hilo and go for UNE. I wasn't able to find out the details. I just heard campus is still pretty small, since they don't have a permanent building for the COP yet, so it kidda feels like a community college (?). Now I think that the acceptance just gives me more headache than good news. lol. I was accepted and paid my deposits for UNE in Maine, which is 15K less for the whole program. 15K is not really a big different, especially I am terrified of driving in the snow, but I grew to get so attached to the upcoming students. UNE is not accreditted till 2013. I am pretty sure they will, cuz they have a medical school opened a long time ago, but everything is possible. Now I just have to see if Hilo is worth the extra money. UNE is smart, they ask us to pay $2000 for deposits lol, cuz it's a lot to lose!

Last edited:
The town itself is pretty small and boring, it also rains alot. If you're originally from a big city, you might not like the small town feel - so I really disliked Hilo. As for the pharmacy school itself, it's separate from the main campus and does consist of temporary buildings. They're supposed to add some other extensions before the next semester starts, I think. As for the program, it's probably similar to other schools: attend lectures, cram and try to pass - so I'm indifferent to that part. I just didn't like the small town feel at all and if I did wanna get away, I'd have to wait till the end of the semester to fly out.

I'd say it's up to you though - some people couldn't wait to get out (like myself) and others were okay with the place in the end. If you're getting attached to the students at UNE, then go for that instead.

The town itself is pretty small and boring, it also rains alot. If you're originally from a big city, you might not like the small town feel - so I really disliked Hilo. As for the pharmacy school itself, it's separate from the main campus and does consist of temporary buildings. They're supposed to add some other extensions before the next semester starts, I think. As for the program, it's probably similar to other schools: attend lectures, cram and try to pass - so I'm indifferent to that part. I just didn't like the small town feel at all and if I did wanna get away, I'd have to wait till the end of the semester to fly out.

I'd say it's up to you though - some people couldn't wait to get out (like myself) and others were okay with the place in the end. If you're getting attached to the students at UNE, then go for that instead.
Oh I just talked to the Walgreens in Hilo and my chances of transferring over are very very slim. UNE is actually in Portland Maine and it also looks like a small town with houses looking like Farmville lol. I was banking on the possibility of gain residency for HI, but it seems hopeless. I actually don't mind the rain as much as the snow. I grew up in Vietnam, I am used to the rain. Just that UNE has about 25 people from CA, and 30 Asians, so we kidda click. Can't say the same for Hilo. Thanks for your insights. I have till the 7th to decide.

Oh I just talked to the Walgreens in Hilo and my chances of transferring over are very very slim. UNE is actually in Portland Maine and it also looks like a small town with houses looking like Farmville lol. I was banking on the possibility of gain residency for HI, but it seems hopeless. I actually don't mind the rain as much as the snow. I grew up in Vietnam, I am used to the rain. Just that UNE has about 25 people from CA, and 30 Asians, so we kidda click. Can't say the same for Hilo. Thanks for your insights. I have till the 7th to decide.
I think in hawaii the asians are treated well and the islanders are considered american enough for there to be a lot of asian male/white female relationships which they have the term "hapa"
When some of them visited nyc, most of them looked asian to me.

Hey Danny, I didn't know that you're interested in school too. They just sent me an acceptance letter last week, I guess the waitlist kicked in couple weeks ago. Did you hear anything from them? You're still going to Jefferson?

Sorry, I have one more question about living in Hilo: Is the food and everything expensive? Housing seems to be in the reasonable price compared to everywhere else. It's hard to find info about how expensive food and everything else costs. We can take the ferry to the tourist Islands right? How does it go around? Thank you so much for your time. I've been bugging you too much.
I think in hawaii the asians are treated well and the islanders are considered american enough for there to be a lot of asian male/white female relationships which they have the term "hapa"
When some of them visited nyc, most of them looked asian to me.
Geez Will, you know these things? lol

HAPPY JULY 4TH!!

Sorry, I have one more question about living in Hilo: Is the food and everything expensive? Housing seems to be in the reasonable price compared to everywhere else. It's hard to find info about how expensive food and everything else costs. We can take the ferry to the tourist Islands right? How does it go around? Thank you so much for your time. I've been bugging you too much.

Food and everything in general is way more expensive on the islands than the mainland - expect to add a few dollars more to what you'd normally pay. As for deals on food, I'd recommend shopping at the farmer's market, which usually cheaper produce compared to the grocery stores (but is still expensive compared to what you'd pay in Cali). Oh yeah, and everything is taxed here - food included - but the tax for HI is around 4-5%.
Housing in Hilo can be found at a reasonable price e.g., paying about $400 for a room. I'd suggest that you try and get the landlord or whoever's renting to you to furnish the place while keeping the rent at the same price. To get to the other islands, you'll have to fly, the ferry hasn't been in service for years (something about messing with the whale migration, I think). The inter-island flights can cost somewhere between $120-$300 for a round trip flight, depending on the time you decide to fly out or if there's a sale. I usually went through Hawaiian Air for all my flights but there are other airlines you can take.

And I wouldn't worry about racism here too much, as asians make up a good amount of the population here. I blend in just fine :D

Food and everything in general is way more expensive on the islands than the mainland - expect to add a few dollars more to what you'd normally pay. As for deals on food, I'd recommend shopping at the farmer's market, which usually cheaper produce compared to the grocery stores (but is still expensive compared to what you'd pay in Cali). Oh yeah, and everything is taxed here - food included - but the tax for HI is around 4-5%.
Housing in Hilo can be found at a reasonable price e.g., paying about $400 for a room. I'd suggest that you try and get the landlord or whoever's renting to you to furnish the place while keeping the rent at the same price. To get to the other islands, you'll have to fly, the ferry hasn't been in service for years (something about messing with the whale migration, I think). The inter-island flights can cost somewhere between $120-$300 for a round trip flight, depending on the time you decide to fly out or if there's a sale. I usually went through Hawaiian Air for all my flights but there are other airlines you can take.

And I wouldn't worry about racism here too much, as asians make up a good amount of the population here. I blend in just fine :D
Oh then tax there is a little cheaper than CA's. We pay around 8% and increasing due to the huge debt the State is in. :thumbup: to the no racism lol. I am a typical Vietnamese, I need my rice for every meal lol. Therefore, I need to get either brown or white rice somewhere. Would they agree easily I wonder. $400 for one room is pretty cheap if we don't have to share a house with someone. :thumbdown: to the non-resident tuition for 4 years. I wonder if someone is rich enough to buy a house over there and get residency afterward.
Thanks for responding. You've been a great help. I have till the 7th to send in my deposit.

Hey Danny, I didn't know that you're interested in school too. They just sent me an acceptance letter last week, I guess the waitlist kicked in couple weeks ago. Did you hear anything from them? You're still going to Jefferson?

Hey Trong,

First of all, congrats! I haven't heard anything yet. It seems a couple other people got accepted in the past couple weeks also, so I guess they are starting to pull from the alternate list. I received an e-mail from Kristy saying the school received full accreditation for two years (which was good to hear), but that's it. I actually went to Hilo for my interview and toured the campus, so if you want to know more about my personal opinion of the area, program, etc. let me know. :laugh:

Hey Trong,

First of all, congrats! I haven't heard anything yet. It seems a couple other people got accepted in the past couple weeks also, so I guess they are starting to pull from the alternate list. I received an e-mail from Kristy saying the school received full accreditation for two years (which was good to hear), but that's it. I actually went to Hilo for my interview and toured the campus, so if you want to know more about my personal opinion of the area, program, etc. let me know. :laugh:
Thanks Danny. Yeah I got the email last week first, and I was thinking, why would you send me an email if I already asked to be removed from the waittlist. Then my acceptance letter came 3 days after. I guess you may hear from them pretty soon. Up to now I still don't know if they actually removed me from their waitlist or my email didn't come through lol. I'll hit u up with questions soon lol.

Last edited: