University of Hawaii at Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).:)

Members don't see this ad.

That's right.....so the only option to be a resident of Hawaii...is to get married....fast...:smuggrin:

Thats just so overwhelming, but seriously why did u pick hawaii?

I have been offered an interview to Hilo Hawaii but I have already been accepted to my #1 choice. Is there anyone attending Hilo currently or already interviewed at their campus shed some light on any unique aspects of their curriculum, program, staff, etc? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Johnny,

Not too sure if I can help you much, but I figure I'd just share what I know. I've gone through the Pre-Pharmacy Program here at UH Hilo and I'll be attending the College of Pharmacy in the Fall. It's a pretty new school, they'll be graduating their first class in May, and are supposedly getting accredited once that occurs. I've taken a couple undergrad classes from some of the Professors that teach in the CoP, and they're really friendly and approachable, yet they're highly qualified and definitely know what they're talking about. The Dean was the dean of the college of pharmacy in Purdue, I believe, which was ranked in the top 25 (?) or maybe 10, not too sure, colleges of pharmacy in the country, and he's stated that he strives to build Hilo up into those ranks. Overall the people here are really friendly and I feel like it's a really good learning environment. Can't really say much academic wise since I haven't started yet, but just thought I'd share.

There's also this video about the college: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCWCKFMcMgE
Some of the footage is in the old labs, and I know they're currently building a couple more classrooms and whatnot for the CoP.
Good luck with your interview and decision!
-Jarred

Hi everyone, i have my interview on the 25th of Feb in Las Vegas. Can anyone advice me on the writing portion of the interview. I've asked this question before but would like some more input regarding this matter. I had interview at another school and i did really poorly on the writing portion and i don't want to make the same mistake again. So any advice such as format, how to break down their writing question, and number of paragraphs would be really helpful. Thank you.

I am really worried about the (essay portion); please help. You guys can send me private messages. Please help.

Hey Johnny,

Not too sure if I can help you much, but I figure I'd just share what I know. I've gone through the Pre-Pharmacy Program here at UH Hilo and I'll be attending the College of Pharmacy in the Fall. It's a pretty new school, they'll be graduating their first class in May, and are supposedly getting accredited once that occurs. I've taken a couple undergrad classes from some of the Professors that teach in the CoP, and they're really friendly and approachable, yet they're highly qualified and definitely know what they're talking about. The Dean was the dean of the college of pharmacy in Purdue, I believe, which was ranked in the top 25 (?) or maybe 10, not too sure, colleges of pharmacy in the country, and he's stated that he strives to build Hilo up into those ranks. Overall the people here are really friendly and I feel like it's a really good learning environment. Can't really say much academic wise since I haven't started yet, but just thought I'd share.

There's also this video about the college: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCWCKFMcMgE
Some of the footage is in the old labs, and I know they're currently building a couple more classrooms and whatnot for the CoP.
Good luck with your interview and decision!
-Jarred

That actually helped a lot Jarred. If I may, I would like to ask a couple more questions as it seems you have been living in Hilo for a while, correct me if I'm wrong. My main question is where do you see the students after graduation going to practice? Are there a good amount of jobs available in Hilo, or will graduates have to relocate back to the mainland? Are there residencies available and what types?

Raj Wal: The writing portion that I had during my interview was actually quite simple. I know there are multiple prompts, but they all seemed fairly clear. We were only allotted a little less than a page to write the essay, and we had half an hour.

Johnny: Yeah, I'm actually born and raised here in Hilo. I actually asked that exact question to the professor interviewing me during my interview. I asked what the school has to offer me once I graduate, and how they see the job availability in the state now that the school has been established. He said that there's definitely going to be a saturation of pharmacists in Hilo very soon, so the likely-hood of landing a job in Hilo by the time we graduate may be very slim. But he also added that 4 years is quite a long time to predict the status of job availability, because there may be more opportunities in working for the school, since the school will be expanding during our time there, or many other places. They are currently in the process of building a Target, a Walgreens, and another Safeway here in Hilo, so he said it's hard to tell so far down the line, as there may be more openings, or there might not be. I was really worried about that, possibly graduating and not being able to find myself a job. But he also added that since 4th year students do 6 different rotations, that if the time comes and Hilo looks like there won't be any job offers, that there's always the option to plan rotations either on a neighboring island or even the mainland, which could possibly help with our plans for after graduation. It seemed like they really are thinking about our future even after we leave the school, so I'm hoping they will be a lot of help in advising and building connections for our post-grad plans. As for residencies, I'm really not too sure about those, haven't really looked into them that much. I know that during 4th year rotations they're required to do 1 retail/community, 1 hospital, 1 ambulatory, 1 medicine, and then 2 electives, so I'm thinking there must be many options for what path to go on after we grad, but I'm really not too sure.
What other school are you thinking about? And where are you from?

I'm from Atlanta, GA, and I've been accepted to a local school here, but I am very interested in studying in Hilo. Good answers by the way! I'm still debating if I should attend the interview in Hilo. I have two weeks to decide... :D.

Haha that's cool. Where's the closest interviewing place? Hah yeah man I'd say go for it, and you should ask your interviewer these questions. They'd definitely have better info than I do, and they'd probably like it since it'd show that you're really interested in the school and stuff. Well good luck with your choice!

Hey jpjarred,

I'll be attending the College of Pharmacy as well and I have a few questions:

1.) I heard Hilo rains a lot, but does it rain all day or does it rain more sporadically? I'm assuming it's more of a humid rain? I'll be coming from Southern California and my wardrobe consists of mainly shorts, board shorts, and basketball shorts, and I don't know if I should buy a new wardrobe.

2.) Since you're familiar with the area, do you have any recommendations for off-campus apartments around the university?

Thanks a lot. I'll see you in the near future!!

Hey jpjarred,

I'll be attending the College of Pharmacy as well and I have a few questions:

1.) I heard Hilo rains a lot, but does it rain all day or does it rain more sporadically? I'm assuming it's more of a humid rain? I'll be coming from Southern California and my wardrobe consists of mainly shorts, board shorts, and basketball shorts, and I don't know if I should buy a new wardrobe.

2.) Since you're familiar with the area, do you have any recommendations for off-campus apartments around the university?

Thanks a lot. I'll see you in the near future!!

Nice! Well I'm thinking your clothes should be fine man. I just wear basketball shorts and boardshorts pretty much everyday, and jeans too but it gets pretty hot during the day. It's definitely really humid here, but you get used to it. The weather is random though. Yesterday it was overcast during the day then raining at night, and today it's really hot and sunny, perfect beach day. haha. The rain isn't too bad I think, but Hilo is definitely known as one of the rainier towns. As for housing, do you have a facebook? If you join the c/o 2015 page Kristy Nakamura has been posting some ads for housing. Are you going to have a car here? Cause if you do, I'd say anywhere in Hilo will work fine since it's such a small town, you can get to class relatively fast by car. You know when you're flying into Hilo yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Well I'm thinking your clothes should be fine man. I just wear basketball shorts and boardshorts pretty much everyday, and jeans too but it gets pretty hot during the day. It's definitely really humid here, but you get used to it. The weather is random though. Yesterday it was overcast during the day then raining at night, and today it's really hot and sunny, perfect beach day. haha. The rain isn't too bad I think, but Hilo is definitely known as one of the rainier towns. As for housing, do you have a facebook? If you join the c/o 2015 page Kristy Nakamura has been posting some ads for housing. Are you going to have a car here? Cause if you do, I'd say anywhere in Hilo will work fine since it's such a small town, you can get to class relatively fast by car. You know when you're flying into Hilo yet?

Yeah I have a facebook and I'm in the group Kristy made. I've been checking out the page here and there, but just wanted a student's point of view on housing. I'll be shipping out my car over since we're starting IPPE rotations fall semester. I'm still not sure when I'm flying over. Possibly the 12th or 13th? When I land, I need to buy EVERYTHING. Is there a Target, Walmart, or any similar stores around town?

Yeah I have a facebook and I'm in the group Kristy made. I've been checking out the page here and there, but just wanted a student's point of view on housing. I'll be shipping out my car over since we're starting IPPE rotations fall semester. I'm still not sure when I'm flying over. Possibly the 12th or 13th? When I land, I need to buy EVERYTHING. Is there a Target, Walmart, or any similar stores around town?

Oh ok cool. Haha yeah there's a Walmart right now, and right next to walmart they're building a Target, not sure when it's opening but it looks like the building is done so probably sometime before August.

Oh ok cool. Haha yeah there's a Walmart right now, and right next to walmart they're building a Target, not sure when it's opening but it looks like the building is done so probably sometime before August.

Nice. This will definitely make my transition to the Big Island more smoothly. Thanks again! :)

Hey fellow Pharmers!

I have a interview with U oF H Hilo in Las Vegas this friday and I've been preppin for all the interview questions i could possibly hear. Still I was wonderin if I could hear from those already in or who already interviewed how was it? what questions stuck out? How was the writing part done and what is it like? these would help me just a bit more thanks yall!

i interviewed yesterday, and it was really fun. i had a super laid back interviewer who was really nice and friendly. our group got some stats thrown at us during our tour. they said that so far about 40% of the seats have been filled (36/90 students), and they've interviewed well over 100 applicants for fall 2011 so far. they plan on interviewing another 100 or so. they have been averaging 1000+ applications a year and interview about 300. so for any of you guys who are reading this, there is definately a good chance of securing your seat.

it's a really nice place, hopefully i'll be offered a spot! good luck all you other peeps! :xf:

i interviewed yesterday, and it was really fun. i had a super laid back interviewer who was really nice and friendly. our group got some stats thrown at us during our tour. they said that so far about 40% of the seats have been filled (36/90 students), and they've interviewed well over 100 applicants for fall 2011 so far. they plan on interviewing another 100 or so. they have been averaging 1000+ applications a year and interview about 300. so for any of you guys who are reading this, there is definately a good chance of securing your seat.

it's a really nice place, hopefully i'll be offered a spot! good luck all you other peeps! :xf:

good to hear you enjoyed your interview. my interviewer was nice and laid back too but im hoping he had good marks. he never had to re-ask the question and basically wrote chicken scratch on his notes. lol.

im hoping for a spot, i keep having thoughts that i will get rejection letters from the 5 schools i plan to interview.:scared:

the good thing i learned is that your 4th year you can do your rotations in any state (as long as you can get the right preceptors).

Yo Finished my interview this past friday went well I think one question was about all i felt hit me like a curve ball but over all interview was great the interviewer was great and informative and the City of Las Vegas was of the chain yo!:rolleyes:

Congrats to those accepted. And good luck to those having interviews coming up and or waiting for results.

I was interviewed back in Dec 10th in Anaheim, CA. Was nervous waiting for response and got accepted 2 days later. Chances are better when you apply early.

:) was fun reading all the comments that people put on here.

no word for any of the feb interviews yet? i still haven't heard back... (kristy said we would be notified within two weeks) it's been almost a week. yikes!:scared:

no word for any of the feb interviews yet? i still haven't heard back... (kristy said we would be notified within two weeks) it's been almost a week. yikes!:scared:
I havent heard anything.

Interview 2/26....accepted last night!!!

i also interviewed at vegas on 2/24, and i have yet to hear from them. i am beyond nervous right now haha :scared::scared:

and congrats to those who got in during the feb round of interviews! :thumbup:

I interviewed in Vegas on Feb 24th and was accepted on Mar 3rd!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! :luck:

Congrats to all who have been accepted!! Will you guys be attending?

And good luck to those are still waiting!! :xf:

Interview 2/26....accepted last night!!!

I was interview that day too. You had yours at Vegas?
I haven't heard =.= but I don't care now because I got accepted to my number 1 choice :laugh:

anybody else hear from feb round of interviews? it's been 2 weeks! i'm so tempted to call them.. should i? lol:confused:

I was interview that day too. You had yours at Vegas?
I haven't heard =.= but I don't care now because I got accepted to my number 1 choice :laugh:

Yeah it was in Vegas. Good for you!

my friend who interviewed in december didn't hear anything until two weeks after the interview date.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I just received my secondary information (yeah, I know I'm late applying), and I'm having a bit of trouble with the "fillable form". It opens in a Word Doc, and the grey areas that are supposed to be filled are there, but they don't "react" the way they should. Anyone else have this trouble? Any tips on how to deal with it?

Hey everyone. I just received my secondary information (yeah, I know I'm late applying), and I'm having a bit of trouble with the "fillable form". It opens in a Word Doc, and the grey areas that are supposed to be filled are there, but they don't "react" the way they should. Anyone else have this trouble? Any tips on how to deal with it?

that's odd.. have you tried asking kristy at the admissions office?

that's odd.. have you tried asking kristy at the admissions office?
I fired off an email just now. The Residency Declaration form is working the right way, but the Supplemental form won't let me "check" any of the boxes to indicate a selection. I hope I get this figured out soon.

Ugh. I feel like a doofus. I didn't realize you could right click on the check boxes to bring up a properties dialog to select "check" as an option. Every form like this that I've dealt with before allowed you to just click the box to get an X to appear. The Residency Form for UHH acts the way I'm used to as well.

Oh well, got it sorted. Does anyone happen to have an interview scheduled in the next month or so? Just curious as to a possible date.

i also interviewed on feb 24th, and i have yet to hear back from UH hilo. i'm assuming if we were not contacted within the two weeks we are either waitlisted or denied. but of course, that's just an assumption...

How do you know you are waitlist? email or mail? I was interviewed on Feb. 24, and still havent heard anything.
i was interviewed on Feb. 24 and recieved an "alternate list notification" yesterday morning by email

Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/25 and notified of alternate list placement 3/15.