University of Hawaii at Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlisted too. sounds like a few acceptances from this round, is this school dumb enough to fill all seats before we interviewed or something?

Members don't see this ad.

waitlisted too. sounds like a few acceptances from this round, is this school dumb enough to fill all seats before we interviewed or something?
Maybe (hopefully) they're saving some spots for those that applied later than most...

/Wishful thinking

Members don't see this ad :)
Crossing my fingers for everybody waitlisted :xf:. I'm part of the Class of 2015 Facebook group and a little less than half of the class is filled at the moment. So it seems kind of odd so many people are being waitlisted. Maybe it's just the sheer volume of candidates they interviewed in recent months? :confused:

It seems like a lot of people were waitlisted who interviewed in February. I interviewed on 2/26 got waitlisted on 3/7 then accepted on 3/15. I think they must be waitlisting people to give themselves more time to make their decision.

It seems like a lot of people were waitlisted who interviewed in February. I interviewed on 2/26 got waitlisted on 3/7 then accepted on 3/15. I think they must be waitlisting people to give themselves more time to make their decision.

is anyone affraid of earthquakes or radiation from japan I was reading some non government sites that said radiation could have long term effect for citizens of Hawaii?

any feedback

I know it's a little early, but I was wondering if you guys started thinking about housing in Hilo... If there are any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated too :) And what do you guys think about the Waiakea Villas? I just want to live in a place that I feel safe and clean (I'm sure that's what everybody wants huh?) :p

I just received an interview invitation for Thursday, April 14 in Hilo, HI. Anyone else? :thumbup:

Just got accepted to University of FLorida and Hawaii but I really wanted to go to hawaii though the hurricane and earthquakes look a lot stronger in hawaii and with the radiation coming across the pacific I don't know anyone has any suggestions ?:scared:

Just got accepted to University of FLorida and Hawaii but I really wanted to go to hawaii though the hurricane and earthquakes look a lot stronger in hawaii and with the radiation coming across the pacific I don't know anyone has any suggestions ?:scared:

I've lived here all my life and have only experienced "strong" earthquakes twice.

I want to say just go for Florida so one of us can get your seat :)D)... but.. as you know, Hawaii offers a great deal of quality education and experience. Hurricanes and earthquakes can happen anywhere, but you just don't know. I say go for Hawaii if it's what you truly desire :)

I got my acdeptance letter to hilo today!!! Only thing is i'm literally going for a pharmacy Interview in Florida tomarrow. I really wanted Hawaii but I wanted to do a final comparison of my acceptance but they want until the 22 my decision what should I do??? I really like the school but i've never seen the place just read enough to start a PhD thesis:laugh:...plus not sure how i'd feel leaving my friends are people at the school engaging and friendly or for the most part they do them and only them?

I got accepted too!! :):)
I was wondering what kind of clothes is appropriate for the weather in Hawaii?
How cold can it get?
I'm from Wisconsin so I have a lot of long sleeved shirts and sweaters but I'm not sure if I should bring any of that.. :confused:

is anyone affraid of earthquakes or radiation from japan I was reading some non government sites that said radiation could have long term effect for citizens of Hawaii?

any feedback
me too. I was on waitlist, but I am not sure I will go there if I got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too. I was on waitlist, but I am not sure I will go there if I got accepted.
no man you should go there I did a lot of research regarding it I will stick with university of Florida now that my cuz got in there for her undergrad so Im heading there but they are saying the radiation should not touch hawaii or the U,S. mainland. I would have loved to go there but the distance from my friends and family is great and I dont know anyone there it would have been like starting a new life all over

Sending in my signature and check to hold my spot! though still uneasy about the distance but we see how I feel if other acceptances roll in!

Anyone going to the April 29th interview at Hilo and want to split a room?

I got accepted too!! :):)
I was wondering what kind of clothes is appropriate for the weather in Hawaii?
How cold can it get?
I'm from Wisconsin so I have a lot of long sleeved shirts and sweaters but I'm not sure if I should bring any of that.. :confused:

Hi xninix77! Congrats on the acceptance!!

I moved to Hawaii from Minnesota about 5 years ago with my parents, so as far as the weather goes I know what you will be going through. In Hilo on any given day the temp range is from 75-85, and when it rains it MAY drop to as low as 65 (but usually only 70). It can also be pretty humid especially after a rain shower. Honestly, when I first moved here I was always hot and could not even imagine wearing a long sleeve shirt. That being said, after living here for five years I am now the biggest winter weenie imaginable and find myself being cold at 70 degrees! LOL:laugh:

So, I would pack at least one sweater and a couple of long sleeves just in case. Itʻs also good to have some long sleeves if you want to visit the top of the mountain where the astronomy observatories are. The A/C in some of the classrooms are also pretty chilly, and Iʻm sure weʻre going to be in them for long periods of time...

So, I hope that this helps you in your packing decisions. :)
I look forward to meeting you and everyone else who has gotten accepted! And for those of you on facebook who havenʻt already done so, you should add the CoP c/o 2015 group.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_173115029386185&ap=1

I'll be attending the April 29th interview at Hilo. I just called every hotel in the area and they were booked for the weekend because of the Monarch Festival. I finally found a hotel with rooms available but they required a min 3 night stay so I just booked it for three (Apr 28,29,30) since I was going to stay 2 nights anyways.

Anyways, I booked a double occupancy (two beds) room in case I found anyone to split a room with. It ended up being $130 a night so if anyone else is going to the April 29th interview and is fine with splitting a room with a male than shoot me an email at [email protected]

Of those that have been accepted and will be attending, when are you guys planning to fly into Hilo?

I'm getting antsy and excited for the next four years.

Of those that have been accepted and will be attending, when are you guys planning to fly into Hilo?

i was thinking of flying out of california like the second week of august maybe. so excited! :) i'm thinking of booking my flight soon.. has anyone?

I'm flying in on Aug. 13th(sat.) from SoCal. Hopefully, one full day will be good enough to get rid of jet lag and get the necessary things for the apartment before orientation starts. :D

:love:Woohoo got accepted!!!!:love: So many forms to complete now.... XD

Thanks for answering!! That helps a lot! So glad to get out of this cold weather haha it's still 40 degrees right now over here :scared:

Hi xninix77! Congrats on the acceptance!!

I moved to Hawaii from Minnesota about 5 years ago with my parents, so as far as the weather goes I know what you will be going through. In Hilo on any given day the temp range is from 75-85, and when it rains it MAY drop to as low as 65 (but usually only 70). It can also be pretty humid especially after a rain shower. Honestly, when I first moved here I was always hot and could not even imagine wearing a long sleeve shirt. That being said, after living here for five years I am now the biggest winter weenie imaginable and find myself being cold at 70 degrees! LOL:laugh:

So, I would pack at least one sweater and a couple of long sleeves just in case. Itʻs also good to have some long sleeves if you want to visit the top of the mountain where the astronomy observatories are. The A/C in some of the classrooms are also pretty chilly, and Iʻm sure weʻre going to be in them for long periods of time...

So, I hope that this helps you in your packing decisions. :)
I look forward to meeting you and everyone else who has gotten accepted! And for those of you on facebook who havenʻt already done so, you should add the CoP c/o 2015 group.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_173115029386185&ap=1

I am thinking of flying in probably early August. Attempting to figure out housing right now? don't know anyone over there. Anyone in need of a roommate?

Does anyone know about this form?

At the bottom there is a place to sign for the medical director, how did you guys go about getting the form signed off?

Thanks!

Hey yall!, I got accepted to Hilo and at this point in time i feel like its the place for me to be but i was wondering when would finding housing and roommates be a good time and can anyone give me a idea of the cost of living over there i mean ive done the research but its better heard from someone who lives there.

Waitlisted...has anyone that attended an interview been rejected? I feel like everyone is being waitlisted if they went to the interview. Is this true? Is there any real chance of getting off the waitlist and getting an offer?

Does anyone know about this form?

At the bottom there is a place to sign for the medical director, how did you guys go about getting the form signed off?

Thanks!

hey korenako, i asked kristy the same question and she said to leave that part blank but fill everything else out. but you probably know that already

Waitlisted :(

Last edited:
Waitlisted...has anyone that attended an interview been rejected? I feel like everyone is being waitlisted if they went to the interview. Is this true? Is there any real chance of getting off the waitlist and getting an offer?

There is a chance to get off the waitlist and getting an offer....

I am a current P1 right now, I was on the waitlist and was then selected to join the college of pharmacy, don't lose hope.

was on the waitlist, but i withdrew my app. hopefully this eliminates the pool of people from the alternate list. good luck everybody! :thumbup:

When interviewing in Hilo, any recommendations on hotel and traveling info??

When interviewing in Hilo, any recommendations on hotel and traveling info??

Hi Tigerlil0806,

I interviewed in Hilo last week, so hopefully I can help you a bit. When is your interview? Where are you coming from? If you are coming from the mainland, I found that most of the cheaper flights were on Hawaiian Airlines. I stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel on Banyan Drive, but there are several other hotels located on Banyan Drive as well giving you plenty of options. The Hilo International Airport, Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, and University of Hawaii at Hilo campus were all within 10-15 minutes of each other by car so it was nice that I didn't have to drive very far.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Hi Tigerlil0806,

I interviewed in Hilo last week, so hopefully I can help you a bit. When is your interview? Where are you coming from? If you are coming from the mainland, I found that most of the cheaper flights were on Hawaiian Airlines. I stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel on Banyan Drive, but there are several other hotels located on Banyan Drive as well giving you plenty of options. The Hilo International Airport, Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, and University of Hawaii at Hilo campus were all within 10-15 minutes of each other by car so it was nice that I didn't have to drive very far.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm coming from Chicago. My interview is may 5th. So you rented a car? I'm thinking of staying at uncle billys on banyan drive. Thanks for the info. :). Was it really warm? I'm wondering if I should wear a skirt instead of pants.

I'm coming from Chicago. My interview is may 5th. So you rented a car? I'm thinking of staying at uncle billys on banyan drive. Thanks for the info. :). Was it really warm? I'm wondering if I should wear a skirt instead of pants.

Oh wow, Chicago? I thought the 5 1/2 flight from CA was long. I guess I shouldn't complain. Yes, I rented a car but didn't do much driving. The Hilo area itself is not very big, so unless you plan to do a lot of driving and exploring you may want to look into taxi services. Personally, I didn't think having a car was all that necessary. I think I remember seeing Uncle Billy's. It seemed okay, but if the price isn't much different I definitely recommend the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel instead. I don't know what the rooms are like at Uncle Billy's, but just judging by the exterior of the hotels alone, the Hilo Hawaiian looks much nicer. When I went, it was rather warm (high 70s) and pretty humid. The interview itself is inside, so you don't need to really worry about being too hot wearing pants versus a skirt. Then again, I'm a guy so what do I know when it comes to fashion. :laugh:

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to let me know. :thumbup:

Oh wow, Chicago? I thought the 5 1/2 flight from CA was long. I guess I shouldn't complain. Yes, I rented a car but didn't do much driving. The Hilo area itself is not very big, so unless you plan to do a lot of driving and exploring you may want to look into taxi services. Personally, I didn't think having a car was all that necessary. I think I remember seeing Uncle Billy's. It seemed okay, but if the price isn't much different I definitely recommend the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel instead. I don't know what the rooms are like at Uncle Billy's, but just judging by the exterior of the hotels alone, the Hilo Hawaiian looks much nicer. When I went, it was rather warm (high 70s) and pretty humid. The interview itself is inside, so you don't need to really worry about being too hot wearing pants versus a skirt. Then again, I'm a guy so what do I know when it comes to fashion. :laugh:

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to let me know. :thumbup:

Yeah it is pretty far but it's worth it. :) I hope. Lol. I have a friend in ca so i will be stopping there on the way there and home to help break up the flight. Other than that, its about a 12 hour flight. Eck. Uncle Billys is half the price and I have to save were I can.... do they have taxis in Hawaii? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how was the interview/school itself?

Don't lose hope! It's possible to get off the waitlist. I was waitlisted and then accepted a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah it is pretty far but it's worth it. :) I hope. Lol. I have a friend in ca so i will be stopping there on the way there and home to help break up the flight. Other than that, its about a 12 hour flight. Eck. Uncle Billys is half the price and I have to save were I can.... do they have taxis in Hawaii? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how was the interview/school itself?

If Uncle Billy's is half the price, then I can't really argue against it. You just need a place to stay anyways so I'm sure Uncle Billy's will suffice. After all, you aren't going to Hawaii for vacation. I'm sure your flight will be way more expensive than mine was, so that is another thing you have to consider. I'm not sure how taxi services work in Hilo. I don't recall seeing too many now that I think about it. You may want to call the hotel you plan on staying at and see if they can arrange a ride for you. If not, then I guess your only option would be to rent a car.

The interview was just like any other pharmacy school interview. Nothing of note that was significantly different. The UH Hilo campus is very small. Once you go, you'll be surprised at how small the college of pharmacy itself is. Since the college of pharmacy is relatively new, they haven't really developed it yet. Most of it is actually in trailers. I liked it, but it may not be for everyone. :laugh:

There is a chance to get off the waitlist and getting an offer....

I am a current P1 right now, I was on the waitlist and was then selected to join the college of pharmacy, don't lose hope.

Thanks...Im either going to teach for America or hopefully getting accepted from the alternate list here (interviewed late Feb-waitlisted in March), but I only have until mid-may to hope for an acceptance here!

Does any one have an interview after May 5th? Just trying to figure out the last interview date so that any remaining spots may be given to those on the waitlist...

Does any one have an interview after May 5th? Just trying to figure out the last interview date so that any remaining spots may be given to those on the waitlist...

I think May 5th is the last interview date. Originally, I think the last interview date was supposed to be this Friday, April 29th. But, the Merrie Monarch Festival is taking place in Hilo this weekend so I heard it was difficult for candidates to find hotel accommodations. As a result, I think they pushed back the last interview date to May 5th. :laugh:

Just got ACCEPTED!!! was waitlisted in early March! YAY!! good luck to everyone else on the waitlist.

Hello all! :)

I just received an invite for an interview today, but I'm already planning on attending the University of Maryland-Baltimore in the Fall so I will be turning it down.

Just as a heads up for anyone still waiting to hear back, I was offered 5 different dates, the last date being May 24. Hope this gives you guys some sort of idea where the application process is at, and best of luck to those still waiting! :)

I applied really late and didn't really expect to hear anything back from HI but lo and behold I get an interview offer today. There are five dates: May 5, 6, 16, 17, and 24 being offered and the 6th is already full. Just FYI, I've already been accepted to a school and I'm not sure if I plan to take the interview.

Hmmm... Well I interview on 4/15 and it is 5/3. I havent heard diddly from UH whatsoever. Based on previous posts, the trend that I have seen is that if you are accepted, they notify you via email within 12 days or less. People who go over this 12 day point are almost assuredly put on the waitlist or worse.

Also, considering how late in the cycle it is and how only 50% of the class is non-resident, Im pretty convinced that those of you who havent heard back yet are waitlisted.

I just wish they would let me know sooner, instead of dragging it out 3+ weeks, when other people know at 1 week.