University of Hawaii FPRP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the FP Residency program at the University of Hawaii?

Members don't see this ad.

Very rural-focused. Cool rotations on other HI islands and off-site at distant S. Pacific islands.

You'll learn about native rights as you get more rural in HI (suggest Molokai...v. cool doc there).

Went there to surf but learned about the residency a bit while there.

Also suggest checking out Kalauapapa Leprosy colony there. Maybe rotating or something. Great intersection between medicine and human rights tied up in THAT torrid history.

Sounds like a great program, especially if you have a Pacific island interest. And Hawaii is a great place. But check out the residents salaries and then compare that with the expected cost of living in Hawaii. The numbers don't compute.

A crappy studio apartment in Hawaii is $950 a month. Gas, food, and all shopping in general is more expensive than the mainland.

It's a tempting program but I feel they are short-changing the residents on salary because they can get applicants who want to re-locate to "paradise".

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, and humans aren't the only beings who will do pretty much anything to live there. All kinds of creatures call that place paradise. And, by 'crappy', it should be clear that we're talking about apts. with 3 inch roaches in every cupboard and - much worse - the biggest centipedes I've ever seen with HUGE curved fangs crawling into your bed.

I've never dealt with so much unwanted life in my living space. I would have a hard time getting used to that aspect of the islands.

Yes, and humans aren't the only beings who will do pretty much anything to live there. All kinds of creatures call that place paradise. And, by 'crappy', it should be clear that we're talking about apts. with 3 inch roaches in every cupboard and - much worse - the biggest centipedes I've ever seen with HUGE curved fangs crawling into your bed.

I've never dealt with so much unwanted life in my living space. I would have a hard time getting used to that aspect of the islands.

Haha! My wife and daughter have been on me to apply to that program (my wife's company has an office there where she could transfer). I just pointed out the centipede issue and may have heard the last of the pressure from them. Thanks!:thumbup::thumbup:

Haha. Nice. Let me make it *better*. From your perspective.

The centipedes are about as thick as a piece of yarn. But the body is hard and white. Their fangs are curved and located on the underside of their head. They're the biggest insect fangs I've ever seen other than tarantulas.

When I was there, I was staying in a pretty nice house owned by my friend. I was just there to surf and play around and learn about the leprosy colony. But a guy in the other guest bedroom was there to be the best man at a wedding the next day. In the middle of the night before the wedding, he felt something crawling in his underwear. Not fully awake, he reached into his boxers and tried to brush something away from....his penis (swear to GOD this is a true story).

The thing he was brushing away was a centipede, and in response it clamped down it's huge fangs and started pumping poison into the skin. Waking up shrieking, he continued to try to scrape the bug away. This didn't help. The fangs stayed in his skin and tore down the length of this guy's unit before finally letting go near the top. the next day he had what amounted to bloody train-track marks along the length of his penis from the base to near the glans. The poison spread all through his pubic area and into local lymph nodes. He totally missed the wedding because he couldn't even walk the next day. For days he was swollen and in excruciating pain.

Didn't really sleep well the rest of my trip.

This happened on Molokai. Maybe the other islands are more...civilized.