University of Illinois at Chicago application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, that's how UIC does it too. I was rank 49 and thought I had no chance since it meant there were 48 people in front of me who were given the chance to attend first. I was accepted two days before student orientation.

So, who ever is on the waiting list, don't lose hope!
Did UIC do ranks this year or no?

I was also put in to hold, but they didn't give me any number. Is that mean i'm on unranked waitlist? or should i email them to ask my rank?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Current UIC student here in my first year. I frequented these forums back when I was applying for schools, and I remember a current student posted in the UIC thread. I thought it was very helpful, and gave me the opportunity to ask questions.

If anyone wants to ask a question about school, Chicago, the organizations, ect. I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Current UIC student here in my first year. I frequented these forums back when I was applying for schools, and I remember a current student posted in the UIC thread. I thought it was very helpful, and gave me the opportunity to ask questions.

If anyone wants to ask a question about school, Chicago, the organizations, ect. I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks!

Question- Do you recommend living in SSR?
How are classes? Do you recommend working part time?

Question- Do you recommend living in SSR?
How are classes? Do you recommend working part time?

Hey!

In terms of SSR I can't speak from personal experience. I do however know some people who do live in SSR. I have not heard them ever complain about the living situation, and it is about a 5-7 min walk to the CoP.

In terms of classes it all depends on your background in undergrad for certain classes. The 2 "killer" classes of first semester are med chem and physiology/pathophysiology. Unfortunately, that doesn't change second semester. The real difference I have noticed between undergrad and pharmacy school is that you DO need to put in more time studying. My average prep time for a test is a week before 2-3+ hours a night. In undergrad I was able to manage the night before for a majority of my classes. I will address the recordings which I saw someone else ask/post about earlier here. I have found the recordings to be extremely helpful for studying. I think it is really nice to be able to listen to a lecture over again to let it sink in or to re take some notes you may have missed. That being said I don't feel like it substitutes going to class. There has been an incident where the recordings did not work, and so those who missed class were out of luck. Some course coordinators/lectures specifically ask not to be recorded or will turn the recording off too. However, lecturers realize we have the ability to capture every single word they have ever said. It feels like they sometimes make us pay by making 2-3 test questions on a topic they said 1-2 sentences about.

In terms of working part time I know a lot of students do it. I personally do, and haven't found it to be an issue. I wouldn't go overboard though. Luckily my boss is willing to work with me, and I only work 10-15 hours a week. You just gotta know what you can/can't handle.

Hope this answered some questions!

Last edited:
I was also put in to hold, but they didn't give me any number. Is that mean i'm on unranked waitlist? or should i email them to ask my rank?

I would email them. UIC did a lot of new things this year with admissions. It doesn't hurt to ask or check the website.

Goodluck!

If you get an interview at the Rockford campus, does that mean you will be chosen for the Rockford campus? I put either, but at the end its the admissions who picks who goes into which location and not us right? I am hearing mixed responses on this so I would hope that someone could clarify. Thanks!

If you get an interview at the Rockford campus, does that mean you will be chosen for the Rockford campus? I put either, but at the end its the admissions who picks who goes into which location and not us right? I am hearing mixed responses on this so I would hope that someone could clarify. Thanks!

I remember a similar question came up during an info session. If you put "either", they'll put you where they need you. Interviewing at Rockford mean they've decided to put you at the Rockford campus.

I had a question for those that have been admitted. I was looking through the registration website for classes and it says that I should be able to register on April 12 2012. I was just curious if anyone knew when we will get more information on registration such as what classes I should be registering for and the like? I figured that information of that nature would arrive sometime soon, but the ability to register makes me a little more skeptic as to any sort of timetable.

Last edited:
I had a question for those that have been admitted. I was looking through the registration website for classes and it says that I should be able to register on April 12 2012. I was just curious if anyone knew when we will get more information on registration such as what classes I should be registering for and the like? I figured that information of that nature would arrive sometime soon, but the ability to register makes me a little more skeptic as to any sort of timetable.

Rockford timetable

Chicago timetable

You will pretty much have a set schedule of core classes each semester and then you generally will get a choice for electives. As you can see the elective list for P1 Fall 2012 isn't very big. You will notice these elective choices get much bigger as you progress through the program.

They will explain this all in more detail at orientation. If they are doing it the same way they did when I was entering you will get a peer adviser assigned to you. This is generally a P2 or P3 that will help answer all questions, explain how to register, ect.

Hope this helps!

Hey,
During my interview at Rockford we were told directly by a group of students who where guiding us for the day that, just because you are interviewing at Rockford it does not mean you are only being considered for the one campus. In my case I chose either and was accepted to Rockford. It may not be a written rule but their appears to be a trend.

We registered during orientation in the summer.

For those who interviewed in the last weeks of March, has anyone heard back from the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed in the last weeks of March, has anyone heard back from the school?

I interviewed in the last weeks of March and just got an email this morning saying I've been placed on the wait/alternate list. I emailed them back and am now waiting for them to give me my rank. Does anyone know what are my chances of getting in UIC with being waitlisted this late in the game?

I interviewed in the last weeks of March and just got an email this morning saying I've been placed on the wait/alternate list. I emailed them back and am now waiting for them to give me my rank. Does anyone know what are my chances of getting in UIC with being waitlisted this late in the game?

I was also placed on the waitlist and waiting for my rank.. lol

I was also placed on the waitlist and waiting for my rank.. lol

So right after my posting wondering about recent interviewees, I got the same waitlist email. I am wondering since we interviewed rather late, if most slots had already been given out and we've all been put on the waitlist.

So right after my posting wondering about recent interviewees, I got the same waitlist email. I am wondering since we interviewed rather late, if most slots had already been given out and we've all been put on the waitlist.

Hey everyone, I interviewed on the last day March 30th, and today I got an email for waitlist as well. It was a very quick response and also, I am wondering if it was a disadvantage to interview later.

^it is always an advantage to to interview earlier due to rolling admissions.

Seems like it huh?

I had an interview around the last weeks of march and got accepted the following week. So I don't think everyone was put on waiting list.

There is definitely a waitlist. I had an interview in the middle of March and got an email yesterday that both campuses are full and the only option is this waitlist. I know for sure that some people were interviewed later than me and were accepted within one or two days. I have no idea how they choose their applicants, but it doesn't look like rolling admissions at all.

There is definitely a waitlist. I had an interview in the middle of March and got an email yesterday that both campuses are full and the only option is this waitlist. I know for sure that some people were interviewed later than me and were accepted within one or two days. I have no idea how they choose their applicants, but it doesn't look like rolling admissions at all.

I have no idea as well. There is definitely a method to their madness. But I know you must be a great applicant to be on the waitlist and not rejected. :)

:)Thank you, I am sure you are a great candidate as well and I hope you get accepted soon. Getting into a pharmacy school has been my goal and dream for a long time. But even if I don't get accepted I am greatful for all the people in my life who have been a great support throughout the application process:D

I'm in the same situation, interviewed on the last week of March and now on the waitlist :(
Just curious, does anybody know if the fall 2012 orientation, which is on June, is mandatory?

I'm in the same situation, interviewed on the last week of March and now on the waitlist :(
Just curious, does anybody know if the fall 2012 orientation, which is on June, is mandatory?

Hey, no its not mandatory. Someone from the Facebook group said they called and were told if they missed it then a peer advisor would fill them in!

I have a question for UICPharmD2015
This may seem like a silly question and I don't know if you would know the answer, but I was looking to get an iPad before school starts to review the recorded lectures that are posted on blackboard after class (if thats the medium they use for COP because thats what was used for undergrad). Do you know if people are able to download the lectures directly onto ipads? Do people bring laptops to class? Or is writing all over the lecture handouts the most effective way to take notes?

And could you please offer us us any advice on what we should review before starting pharmacy school in the fall semester (Human Physiology and Pathology I, Drug Delivery Systems I, Fundamentals of Drug Action I, etc.). I heard Med Chem and Human Physiology is very difficult, what should we brush up on for those classes?

Thanks in advance!

To all who were put on an alternate/waitlist,
Don't lose hope. I was in the exact same position as you guys. In fact, I interviewed in April AND was put on the alternate list. They accept quite a few people from the list it's just a matter of patience. Anyone that says your chances of getting accepting are slim becuase you're on waitlist is a ******.

UIC selects waitlisted applicants based on the timing of the interview and what sets him/her apart. They look for things that are beyond the applicant pool norm such as: post grad degrees, research, special organizations, whether you have a bachelors or not etc.

Nemo, not sure if your question is specifically for PharmD2015 or any upperclassmen but I'll answer it anyway. Students do bring laptops/ipads to class. Some students find it easier to type notes during a class while others just write on the lecture handouts. I personally think it's easier to write as many notes as you can on the handout itself. That way, you'll have all the exam material in front of you and won't have to switch back and forth from your ipad to your handout to study. But it all depends on what works better for you. Most recordings are not available during class but a couple of hours after the class is finished, and yes you can download them on your ipad.

Lol, do not "brush up" on anything. It will be your last summer to have fun so just enjoy it! All the studying and reviewing will kick in once school starts. Yes, Physio and MedChem are hard, but they aren't impossible. There's nothing really to review for those. Everyone starts on a clean slate, which is why those class are taught your first year. You just have to keep up. Study a little a day and you will be fine. Take it easy, don't stress out and do your best. Don't worry about how well others do because that will screw you up. Pharmacy school won't be a walk through the park, but it definitely isn't 24/7 studying either. It more about time management, really.

Hope this answered your questions
If you guys have any other concerns PM. I'll be happy to help
Goodluck to all!

Don't lose hope. I was in the exact same position as you guys. In fact, I interviewed in April AND was put on the alternate list. They accept quite a few people from the list it's just a matter of patience. Anyone that says your chances of getting accepting are slim becuase you're on waitlist is a ******.

UIC selects waitlisted applicants based on the timing of the interview and what sets him/her apart. They look for things that are beyond the applicant pool norm such as: post grad degrees, research, special organizations, whether you have a bachelors or not etc.

Nemo, not sure if your question is specifically for PharmD2015 or any upperclassmen but I'll answer it anyway. Students do bring laptops/ipads to class. Some students find it easier to type notes during a class while others just write on the lecture handouts. I personally think it's easier to write as many notes as you can on the handout itself. That way, you'll have all the exam material in front of you and won't have to switch back and forth from your ipad to your handout to study. But it all depends on what works better for you. Most recordings are not available during class but a couple of hours after the class is finished, and yes you can download them on your ipad.

Lol, do not "brush up" on anything. It will be your last summer to have fun so just enjoy it! All the studying and reviewing will kick in once school starts. Yes, Physio and MedChem are hard, but they aren't impossible. There's nothing really to review for those. Everyone starts on a clean slate, which is why those class are taught your first year. You just have to keep up. Study a little a day and you will be fine. Take it easy, don't stress out and do your best. Don't worry about how well others do because that will screw you up. Pharmacy school won't be a walk through the park, but it definitely isn't 24/7 studying either. It more about time management, really.

Goodluck to all!

Thanks for shedding some light on the matter! Any waitlister hear back about their rank yet? And what would be a good rank to have top 10? 20?

Lol, do not "brush up" on anything. It will be your last summer to have fun so just enjoy it! All the studying and reviewing will kick in once school starts.

I am SO glad to hear this! I made a bad decision to take 20 credits this semester & my senioritis is finally starting to kick in. I will definitely be taking advantage of 3 months without having to worry about classes and studying :)

I have a question for UICPharmD2015
This may seem like a silly question and I don't know if you would know the answer, but I was looking to get an iPad before school starts to review the recorded lectures that are posted on blackboard after class (if thats the medium they use for COP because thats what was used for undergrad). Do you know if people are able to download the lectures directly onto ipads? Do people bring laptops to class? Or is writing all over the lecture handouts the most effective way to take notes?

And could you please offer us us any advice on what we should review before starting pharmacy school in the fall semester (Human Physiology and Pathology I, Drug Delivery Systems I, Fundamentals of Drug Action I, etc.). I heard Med Chem and Human Physiology is very difficult, what should we brush up on for those classes?

Thanks in advance!
You can also download them to an ipod, iphone, etc. basically anything that will play a video file. I just my ipod touch and it works great for this.

Goodluck to all!
Thank you soo much for your help! I was really worried I would need to relearn all the mechanisms and stuff for organic chem! Phew! Thanks for all the advice!!

You can also download them to an ipod, iphone, etc. basically anything that will play a video file. I just my ipod touch and it works great for this.
Oh that's awesome! I've had problems accessing blackboard material from my iphone in the past so I thought I would ask! Thanks!!

Rankings were released today. They say they have 210 total students on wait list, I'm 32 for Chicago and 3 for Rockford.

Rankings were released today. They say they have 210 total students on wait list, I'm 32 for Chicago and 3 for Rockford.

I am 49 for Chicago and 10 for Rockford. I wonder if the Chicago waitlist will move faster. And to my understanding reading the waitlist page, if we are admitted into one first, we have to accept the offer? Anyway! I also am admitted to Midwestern Chicago so we may be future classmates at Midwestern or Rockford if the waitlist accepts me!

From: Please note: If an offer is extended to an applicant who expressed “Either” as his/her campus preference, the applicant will not have the option of turning down the first offer with the hopes of getting a second offer to the other campus. If the applicant turns down the offer extended, his/her name will be removed from the wait lists and will no longer be under consideration.

I just got into UIC Rockford via email! Did anyone else hear back? :) PTG I assume??

Ugh... can't decide between Midwestern and UIC Rockford, I don't know if the distance learning is for me... :/

Has the waitlist online status being updated? You guys said you guys got in rockford but the site still says zero for both locations for me. I am 14 for uic chicago only.

The waitlist site is not being updated seeing as 2 of us certainly did get in :( I'm not sure what or who is monitoring it. Good luck on the waitlist though because that's a really good number :)

Has the waitlist online status being updated? You guys said you guys got in rockford but the site still says zero for both locations for me. I am 14 for uic chicago only.

You will most likely get in, I think they got to #39 by the end of the summer last year.

So, if someone is in both the list like and they get to Rockford first, the UIC number should increase regardless of they reject or accept spot at Rockford. So, how come UIC list is not updated and only Rockford is?

Last edited:
I think its because no one at the chicago campus gave up their seat so the waitlist number doesn't go up. At the same time, the people who accept/reject rockford seat gives up their chicago seat. So technically some people on the chicago waitlist number get a better ranking but the numbers won't go up since seats at chicago weren't given

Does anyone know approximately when the Chicago waitlist typically starts moving (when do people give up their seats)? Do people drop out mainly due to waiting on their first choice school for acceptance? I just thought that several seats would have opened up by this time.

I just accepted a seat at chicago and I was number 14 on the list! So good luck to those still waiting! =)

Why isn't UIC updating their waitlist status? this is crazy, the funny thing is that in their email they promised to update it DAILY. It's just ridiculous!!!:confused:

Has anyone ranging from 45-55 heard from UIC wait list?

I was number 50 on the waitlist for Chicago only and I have been accepted July 25!!! :)))