University of Illinois at Chicago application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any research opportunities at Rockford? Basic, translational, and clinical? Also as i understand from dr T, those who are pursuing the joint programs will have to do their masters portion in Chicago, are any of you Rockford students doing this? And if so how is it going so far?

I am doing research in Rockford. There is no clinical research as I perceive... I maybe wrong. However, most research going on is the cancer research. You are only allowed to do research as an elective during your 1st or 3rd year, as instructors will refuse to take you in during your 2nd year.

If you are curious pM me.

Here is the narrow down for joint programs.
Masters or MBA: You need to live in Chicago for 1 years finishing the masters or MBA while halting your pharmD degree.

PhD : This is doable in Rockford as there are graduate programs here. This program is around 3 years and probably few classes would be done over the video conference.

Hello
Since lectures are via video conference are they recorded for student use? Meaning can you access videos of previous lectures for reviewing?

Also I know Rockford offers their Rural PharmD but what is considered rural..anything outside of Chicago?

Any other tid bits about Rockford would be appreciated:)..
Thanks

Most of the classes are recorded, but there are exceptions where it isn't and you will be responsible for that material on that lecture. so if you miss it and it isn't recorded, tough luck.

Rural pharmD is a program that you have to apply in the beginning of the application cycle. Rural PharmD is for those who have lived majority of their lives in a rural town.. like (very small town)

as I stated above, please do attend lectures. There are definitely good incentives to go.

Hi, I was wondering if the lecture attendance is being checked? Can you skip the lectures and just read the posted materials and go over the recorded lecture? I am trying to figure out if I will be able to keep my job and work some morning hours... I have a friend who graduated from the Midwestern College of Pharmacy last year, he told me they barely attended any lectures at all and just showed up for the labs/ exams.
Any info will be appreciated! :)

yes, and no. There are lots of incentive to go to class as lets per say if you are border line to a grade, but you attended all the classes and participated, then you usually get bumped up a grade. If not, then the professor will not be so..... kind.

Plus during Pharmacokinetics, the points in the class would be total of 160 points, and the instructors can do 5 point bonus point quiz for those who attend...

If you think about it 5/160 points is awfully a lot.

Attending class is extremely crucial for me as if I do not attend, I am extremely behind and its hard to catch up.

Honestly, lets think, you are spending at least 25k each year to study about pharmacy. Why on earth would you NOT go to class? Its like you are wasting money and time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
Since lectures are via video conference are they recorded for student use? Meaning can you access videos of previous lectures for reviewing?

Yes. You can either stream them or download them.

@ zeldaahn2: Thanks for the info! You have a point there saying that the tuition cost is expensive and why not to attend, but how do you pay for your living expenses if you don't work? Are there any options I don't know about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, anyone on the waiting list heard anything from the school yet? I was putting on holding partern since Jan and did not hear anything from UIC yet.

@ zeldaahn2: Thanks for the info! You have a point there saying that the tuition cost is expensive and why not to attend, but how do you pay for your living expenses if you don't work? Are there any options I don't know about?

Fortunately my living expenses are much lower than what I would be paying in chicago..

It costs about 700-800 per month (which includes rent) in Rockford. I know a few people in my class who gets their rent paid as part of their student loans. This is probably the one route people choose to pay for rent so they aren't burdened for their living expenses.

Also I know a few people who work as a pharm tech every weekends (both sunday/sat).

Also it is great to use summer to work so you can get money for living expenses as well.

If you have parents who have money to support your living expenses, (be frugal >_<) then I suggest you ask them, if not look for aids to pay for your rent which is probably the biggest expense

What are the grades like at UIC? Usual class averages for exams?

Some student ambassadors at Ohio State mentioned that their class average for exams regularly hit about 88-90%. Is there some sort of grade inflation going on there?

Assuming UIC has a more typical grading scale, how will this affect our chances at grad schools in the future. I won't have much of a shot applying with a 3.5 in Pharm school when half the graduating class from Ohio is sitting pretty on a 4.0.

This may seem like a "stupid" question, but why would you apply to graduate school if you already obtained a PharmD?

I just wanted everyone to know that I was reading on USnews and found this article http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...est-graduate-schools-rankings-launch-march-13 which means hopefully, a new pharmacy school rankings will be available on March 13, 2012. From the third paragraph it says: "This year, new peer assessment surveys were conducted and new rankings will be published online for the health specialties of occupational therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, social work, audiology, speech-language pathology, and clinical psychology, as well as for public affairs and fine arts"

Last edited:
@ zeldaahn2: how far away from the campus are the IPPEs/APPEs? Do you need a car to get there?
Also, how many hours a day do you in average need to study? Is there any homework or you just need to keep up with the lecture material?

Thank you for all the info in advance! :)

I meant in terms of like possibly adding a JD or an MBA, but PHD works as well. Just more a rhetorical question about comparing GPAs if a school is heavily fluffing them and another isn't. Or even how much grade variability can exist when the averages are so high.

What time does the classes start for P1? and what time do they usually end? Thanks!

What time does the classes start for P1? and what time do they usually end? Thanks!
You usually start at 8:30am and on days that you don't have lab or recitation you're out by 12:30pm. On lab and recitation days, you're out at 4:30pm sometimes a bit earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ zeldaahn2: how far away from the campus are the IPPEs/APPEs? Do you need a car to get there?
Also, how many hours a day do you in average need to study? Is there any homework or you just need to keep up with the lecture material?

Thank you for all the info in advance! :)

Sorry for the late response,

For your first question, this depends on your luck of the draw...

My IPPE was at a UIC clinic which was 10 minute away from my apartment (driving)
Also this semester's IPPE is like 4 minute away in driving from my apartment..

However, some students will want to experience like independent pharmacy which is like usually 1-2 hours away in drives.

For Homework and exams, be really prepared, as its really different from undergraduate.

They will make you study (review) 1-2 hours every day at least...

You won't have exams the first month but, when that second month rolls around, you will be constantly bombarded with exams until you get sick and tired of it...

There are maybe few courses that assigns homework,
For example.

1. First semester you will have "Roles" and calculations classes that you will have homework.

2. Seconds semester the only class you will have homework is Pharmacokinetics.

Pretty much you do not have homework, but those exams will be 80-100% of your grade.

Just received an interview invite today!! It's at the Rockford campus. I don't know if this has been addressed in earlier pages of the thread (I've browsed a few of the pages) but according to the website the Rockford and Chicago campuses are considered the same college of pharmacy except that Rockford is more geared to the rural population.

I'm not familiar with the Rockford area (or Chicago for that matter) and I was wondering if someone could elaborate on the "small town" thing as well as quality of IPPEs at the Rockford site. The small town thing worries me a little because I'm used to more of a big city feel...my interview at Albany, NY (also a small town) was disappointing only because it didn't have the regular metropolitan vibe I'm used to.

I received an interview invite for the Rockford campus as well, is there a big difference post graduation between the two campuses? I know Rockford focuses on rural pharmacy but will that hinder your chances of getting jobs in urban settings in the future? I don't want to restrict myself.

I received an interview invite for the Rockford campus as well, is there a big difference post graduation between the two campuses? I know Rockford focuses on rural pharmacy but will that hinder your chances of getting jobs in urban settings in the future? I don't want to restrict myself.

The Rockford campus doesn't actually fully focus on rural areas, it is the R-Pharm program for the chosen 5-7 students that does. The campus was established in order to attract students to rural or mid-sized cities when they graduate, since they would've had the experience of living there upon graduation.

There is actually no difference between the two campuses upon graduation. Your diploma and transcripts will both say UIC although you never stepped a foot on the Chicago campus and nobody will ever know that unless you tell them. Just as how the medical and the nursing schools are. There will be one joint graduation ceremony, the names may be called by campuses but apart from that nothing will differ. Remember there is no UI-Rockford, it's only Chicago, Urbana-Champaign and Springfield, so the pharmacy school is still UIC but at Rockford (satellite campus of the one in Chicago). So you have the full rights of any student who was on the Chicago campus, including residencies, scholarships, fellowships, and of course working in big cities or foreign countries. Those enrolled in the R-Pharm have the same rights as well, but they have an edge in terms of rural pharmacy. It's more like a special focus.

What I can predict is, it is more likely these 50 students will have 100% job placement upon graduation as compared to the Chicago students, when the career fair eventually starts on the Rockford campus next Fall.

All the major metro areas are getting super-saturated because students find it hard relocating upon spending their whole lives in big cities. So the Rockford students will have an edge in establishing connections with the other parts of the state.

I know a pharmacist who just graduated and works in a mid-sized city and was commenting on how laid back his workplace is. He is assigned to one store, instead of floating around and being stressed out like the classmates he graduated with who work in big cities.

Last edited:
The Rockford campus doesn't actually fully focus on rural areas, it is the R-Pharm program for the chosen 5-7 students that does. The campus was established in order to attract students to rural or mid-sized cities when they graduate, since they would've had the experience of living there upon graduation.

There is actually no difference between the two campuses upon graduation. Your diploma and transcripts will both say UIC although you never stepped a foot on the Chicago campus and nobody will ever know that unless you tell them. Just as how the medical and the nursing schools are. There will be one joint graduation ceremony, the names may be called by campuses but apart from that nothing will differ. Remember there is no UI-Rockford, it's only Chicago, Urbana-Champaign and Springfield, so the pharmacy school is still UIC but at Rockford (satellite campus of the one in Chicago). So you have the full rights of any student who was on the Chicago campus, including residencies, scholarships, fellowships, and of course working in big cities or foreign countries. Those enrolled in the R-Pharm have the same rights as well, but they have an edge in terms of rural pharmacy. It's more like a special focus.

What I can predict is, it is more likely these 50 students will have 100% job placement upon graduation as compared to the Chicago students, when the career fair eventually starts on the Rockford campus next Fall.

All the major metro areas are getting super-saturated because students find it hard relocating upon spending their whole lives in big cities. So the Rockford students will have an edge in establishing connections with the other parts of the state.

I know a pharmacist who just graduated and works in a mid-sized city and was commenting on how laid back his workplace is. He is assigned to one store, instead of floating around and being stressed out like the classmates he graduated with who work in big cities.

Cool thanks for all the info, I'm excited for tomorrow afternoon!

hey everyone, i just got an interview invitation and am pretty excited! but im wondering if anyone knows how many students uic chicage has taken so far? and is an interview during this time of year late in the process?? it seems, through sdn, that people have been interviewing since january and its already march... seems kinda late to me and that, just by time alone, a majority of the seats have already been filled up...

feedback please!! =)

hey everyone, i just got an interview invitation and am pretty excited! but im wondering if anyone knows how many students uic chicage has taken so far? and is an interview during this time of year late in the process?? it seems, through sdn, that people have been interviewing since january and its already march... seems kinda late to me and that, just by time alone, a majority of the seats have already been filled up...

feedback please!! =)

Dont worry the class is not full, going just off facebook it looks like only like about 60ish students have been accepted. The class seats roughly 160 students. There may be more of course but im willing to bet the class is about 2/3 to 1/2 full so there are still plenty of seats. It doesnt matter if its this late, out of the six people in my group it seems that only me and another girl were accepted, but in other groups almost all of them were accepted. They offer acceptances on a student to student basis and again there are plenty of spots so don't focus on that! And I know someone that interviewed by late February and got accepted. Good luck!

hello! I scheduled for an interview on March 30th when I was invited for an interview last week. I couldn't do the other dates because of conflicts with classes. My professor wouldn't let me ditch so much class for the interview :( Is this the last interview date? I am worried about my chances..what do you guys think?

hello! I scheduled for an interview on March 30th when I was invited for an interview last week. I couldn't do the other dates because of conflicts with classes. My professor wouldn't let me ditch so much class for the interview :( Is this the last interview date? I am worried about my chances..what do you guys think?

I would ditch class to attend the interview, if on the interview scheduler application there are no more dates listed then it probably means that it is but no one can know for sure. You can always call and ask the school though. I'm sure if the professor is being unreasonable there is probably someone u can report this to like the head of the department in order to get an extension on any labs or assignments u may miss after all this is concerning your future.

Hello,
For those who went to the interview.. could you guys please tell me more about MMI format interview? How does it work and about how many questions do they ask?

Thanks.

Hello,
For those who went to the interview.. could you guys please tell me more about MMI format interview? How does it work and about how many questions do they ask?

Thanks.

There's nothing we can tell you that hasn't already been discussed, look through the previous pages of this thread and the interview feedback section.

There's nothing we can tell you that hasn't already been discussed, look through the previous pages of this thread and the interview feedback section.

So there's six stations and each station has one scenario question to answer?
They don't ask general questions like introduce yourself, why pharmacy, why uic..etc?

Thanks

You usually start at 8:30am and on days that you don't have lab or recitation you're out by 12:30pm. On lab and recitation days, you're out at 4:30pm sometimes a bit earlier.

And how many days a week did you have labs/recitations during the P1?
Do you have exames every week?

And how many days a week did you have labs/recitations during the P1?
Do you have exames every week?
Two a week. One lab, one recitation. No we don't have them every week. If I had to guess, I'd say that we have an exam every other week; although, a lot of times we have more than one exam in that week.

The ranking is available now and UIC is #14 .... :-(
This should change. We just won a TON of national awards at the national APhA-ASP meeting.

do the rankings really matter? they're based on peer assessments.. and according to the website, there was only a 39% response rate from the surveys that were given...

The ranking is available now and UIC is #14 .... :-(

Last edited:
I don't think students from Maryland said the same thing when they used to be ranked #9. Just saying though. I think Wisconsin will now be so proud till they maybe drop. I could see rankings don't only matter when your school drop. AACP have always said they don't endorse it http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Pages/default.aspx#ranking. These rankings have always been by surveys,I wonder why people eventually realized that (oh, cos their school dropped). Let's be consistent... people!!!!

Last edited:
I don't think students from Maryland said the same thing when they used to be ranked #9. Just saying though. I think Wisconsin will now be so proud till they maybe drop. I could see rankings don't only matter when your school drop. AACP have always said they don't endorse it http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Pages/default.aspx#ranking. These rankings have always been by surveys,I wonder why people eventually realized that (oh, cos their school dropped). Let's be consistent... people!!!!

i'm not saying anything about any schools. in fact maryland dropped from top 10 to #17 on the new ranking (lower than UIC). This comment was purely asking about the importance of ranking. I was just wondering if people really take these rankings into consideration - especially in the real world.

and the only reason i'm writing on here is because i've been accepted into UIC and i wanted to see the input of others on the school. i just recently chose umd over uic for other reasons.

Last edited:
Well, personally I have always ignored the rankings and actually doubted it. This is due to certain things and experiences and discoveries I made about some programs at certain schools. This was because when this application cycle began, whenever I talked with current students and experts about some schools that I think I like so much, the first question they ask me is "what's their rank?". Whenever they find out that, that school is ranked lower than the ones they currently attend or are alumni of, they begin to discourage me. I always question why they think the rankings is superior to other stuffs. I even try to tell them the previous one is 4 years old and need to be updated and I strongly believe things will change. Typical example is UIC vs Wisconsin, SIUE vs Midwestern, UB vs VCU. Now, when the new rankings came out, most of them are bashing the system and saying it's garbage. How can't people be consistent with the perception they have about something.
I'm very glad people are now realizing how little the rankings say about a school. I will say it gives you a rough idea about how some experts and deans think about certain schools. These people may share the same opinions wth employers and preceptors or people who are in charge of residencies. However, I will advise anyone applying to any pharmacy school to choose the one that suits their personal needs for pharmacy school as a whole, and pay little attention to the rankings or anyone who will try to convince you based solely on rankings. I personally know someone who rejected UCSF for another school and has always been happy about this decision, although some people thought he was crazy at that time.

Last edited:
Like paper currency, rankings have value because people believe the rankings have value. Sucks I can't say UIC is a top ten school anymore, but maybe dropping out of the top ten will force the school to improve on things over the next few years.

This should change. We just won a TON of national awards at the national APhA-ASP meeting.[/QUOTE]

it won't change for another 4 years

Hello everyone! Do you have suggestions for hotels if interviewing for Rockford campus? I also want to know if you guys rented a car to get to and from airport to Rockford or how you got there. I also am booking my plane tickets today so any advice is helpful! If someone has already posted a response to this question please let me know, ignore this message too! I'm using my phone so I can't really scroll so much =p

Fortunately my living expenses are much lower than what I would be paying in chicago..

It costs about 700-800 per month (which includes rent) in Rockford. I know a few people in my class who gets their rent paid as part of their student loans. This is probably the one route people choose to pay for rent so they aren't burdened for their living expenses.

Also I know a few people who work as a pharm tech every weekends (both sunday/sat).

Also it is great to use summer to work so you can get money for living expenses as well.

If you have parents who have money to support your living expenses, (be frugal >_<) then I suggest you ask them, if not look for aids to pay for your rent which is probably the biggest expense

Oh Can I ask what you pay for your rent + utilities? :) thank you!

It's getting down to the wire and I'm stuck. I'm deciding between University of Washington and the University of Illinois- Chicago. I'm out of state for either, but UIC would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Like a lot of people, I wasn't impressed at all with UIC's interview, but I know that it was the first year with the new format and I LOVE Chicago as a whole. Seattle was a cool city when I visited but I really don't know if I can deal with their weather. I grew up in the midwest and I'm just nervous about locking in to a city like Seattle for the next 4-6 years, especially because people not from the northwest tend to have a hard time with how gloomy it is.

With the new rankings and all they are pretty much equal. The facilities are in the same shape (old) but the people at UW were really friendly, likely because we got an actual tour and were able to meet people. I just need to decide if the money difference and taking a gamble on the city are really worth it when I'll graduate with the same sorts of opportunities and the same degrees.

Right now I've got deposits on both places. Does anyone have any experience with these schools or this decision? I want to give someone one of these slots!

Oh Can I ask what you pay for your rent + utilities? :) thank you!

My rent+utlility at max cost 500. Most case, I usually spend about 412.50 in rent, +3x in electric, 15 in internet and water is free and 2x in gas.

The place I'm renting has 2 Large bedroom+ 1.5 bathroom, dining room, kitchen, living room, and 2 car garage.

*note that I do have a roommate* and makes it much cheaper.

Can anyone give details about IPPEs? Are IPPEs just once a week for duration of 8 hours? Any information would be helpful!

Can anyone give details about IPPEs? Are IPPEs just once a week for duration of 8 hours? Any information would be helpful!

Honestly, the school walks you through the IPPE experience. They will make sure you get your IPPE experience..

However, if you REALLY must know,

Heres the layout for the first year.

Fall P1 Year
For 1 Full week, you will not be attending classes, but in exchange you will be at the IPPE site for 8 hours a day or (until your preceptor wants you) for the full week(Mon-Fri)

For selection of sites, there we be pretty much a whole variety. (hospitals, clinic, ambulatory care, community (independant/walgreen etc)

The order you will pick your sites will be a lottery number, so if you have 50 students in your class, you will be given a number from 1-50 and that will be the order you pick your sites.

------------------------------------------

Spring P1 Year.
Unlike the fall semester, you will be visiting a community pharmacy site every friday for 4 weeks.

For selection of sites, there will be only, Community pharmacy (independent/WalGreen/CVS etc)

The order you choose the site is the reverse of the last semester.

Student who was 50# at the fall semester will pick first in this semester and the student who was #1 on Fall semester will pick last.

That's one cool thing about UIC, they have so many connections. I know some schools make their students look for their own IPPE sites.
This is just one of the perks of attending the 3rd oldest pharmacy school in the country.

Unfortunately the person who is #26 or #25 won't be much lucky, :).

Last edited:
That's one cool thing about UIC, they have so many connections. I know some schools make their students look for their own IPPE sites.
This is just one of the perks of attending the 3rd oldest pharmacy school in the country.

Unfortunately the person who is #26 or #25 won't be much lucky, :).

I really like the good things I am hearing about the school. It's making me really excited for the interview coming up. Do you have anything else you'd add about the Rockford campus student culture if you go there? I am wondering if there are less organizations there and if there is any interaction with the surrounding medical students.

I got put in the holding pattern after I interviewed in January so I just wonder if there is
still chance of getting admitted once all the interviews are done. Any input will be appreciated!

^ I would think so just because some people drop out even though they've paid the deposit. I'm not sure though...

I got put in the holding pattern after I interviewed in January so I just wonder if there is
still chance of getting admitted once all the interviews are done. Any input will be appreciated!

typically if youre on a wait list you can get accepted all the way up until the week that classes start since some people decline at the last minute.. im not sure how UIC does their wait list though

typically if youre on a wait list you can get accepted all the way up until the week that classes start since some people decline at the last minute.. im not sure how UIC does their wait list though

Yeah, that's how UIC does it too. I was rank 49 and thought I had no chance since it meant there were 48 people in front of me who were given the chance to attend first. I was accepted two days before student orientation.

So, who ever is on the waiting list, don't lose hope!
Did UIC do ranks this year or no?