You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
University of Illinois, Chicago Application Thread
Started by RoSieCheEks18
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I prefer they let me know whether I make or do not make the interview cut instead of placing in the holding pattern and hoping there is a chance to get the interview..
Yeah, I would prefer knowing whether or not I had the interview so I know whether to schedule a flight to Worcester or not.
How are your volunteering and community service areas of your application (non pharmacy related)? A lot of times schools will semi heavily on those things because they want to see that you are passionate about helping people, which is just as big of a part of pharmacy as the science behind it. I really believe that is what helped me get accepted. All of my other stats were mediocre but a ton of volunteering. However, Im in state 😕
GPA 3.25 B.S. in Chemistry and Biology
PCAT 83 percentile
Good PS
Good LORs
LOTS of volunteering
Shadowing experience
GPA 3.25 B.S. in Chemistry and Biology
PCAT 83 percentile
Good PS
Good LORs
LOTS of volunteering
Shadowing experience
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I know for a fact that I had all good LOR's. All people that I know and trust very well. The personal statement was very truthful and I believe I have a compelling reason to pursue pharmacy. Regardless, even if they didn't like my personal statement, there's nothing I can do about it now, since there's no way I'm going to wait a year to go to school.
Dr. T tells me that it's possible that they filled their OOS spots. They only received our January PCAT scores last week I believe?
I have interviews as a transfer at STLCOP, at Regis and MCPHS-Worcester campus.
I've declined my seat to UIC. I hope that you receive an interview and get accepted. From the little impression that I get from you, it seems like you deserve it.
Dr T is the associate dean at UIC who is the head of the adcomms. He's also the one who sends out offers of admission and what not.I prefer they let me know whether I make or do not make the interview cut instead of placing in the holding pattern and hoping there is a chance to get the interview..
It's pretty late in the game since UIC is doing rolling admission..I am loosing all my hope...
Who is Dr. T? Are you referring to the associate dean? Should I email him about the possibility of getting an interview as an out of staters?
It's hard to judge exactly what the adcomms are looking for. I have met with Dr T numerous times and he always emphasizes that they try to look for well rounded students that not only have great stats but have volunteer experience and leadership experience.
I've heard that they're filling both rockford and chicago campus simultaneously and at the same rate (ie if they have 70% filled at rockford they'd like to have 70% filled at chicago too). They also no longer favor in-state or out of state applicants, the reason why the majority of accepted students are from illinois is probably because way more Illinoisans apply to the school than out of state.
How are your volunteering and community service areas of your application (non pharmacy related)? A lot of times schools will semi heavily on those things because they want to see that you are passionate about helping people, which is just as big of a part of pharmacy as the science behind it. I really believe that is what helped me get accepted. All of my other stats were mediocre but a ton of volunteering. However, Im in state 😕
GPA 3.25 B.S. in Chemistry and Biology
PCAT 83 percentile
Good PS
Good LORs
LOTS of volunteering
Shadowing experience
Volunteering/Community service areas are a little weaker, yes
2411t- Thanks! Where are you going to school?
mcalabr3- Dr. T told me himself that it is possible that they filled all their "out of state spots", so I believe they do, in fact, prefer the in state students.
I've declined my seat to UIC. I hope that you receive an interview and get accepted. From the little impression that I get from you, it seems like you deserve it.
so where are you going then, if not UIC?
Yeah, I would prefer knowing whether or not I had the interview so I know whether to schedule a flight to Worcester or not.
i think it may be the fact that your pcat was taken so late
you'll get in UIC next year if you decide to wait
but its probably better to save a year and go somewhere else (if you don't get in)
remember for (usually) $500 you can save your spot in another school
After talking with Dr. T myself, I believe the flurry of new pharmacy schools in Chicagoland has prompted UIC to accept only the best from Chicagoland (and the rest of Illinois). With a raised bar, the out-of-state applicants who are stronger than some in-state applicants will be offered spots (since the less strong in-state applicants can attend one of the many new private and public pharmacy schools)....
Yeah, I'm under the impression that Dr. TenHoeve doesn't like to be emailed and asked a lot of questions.
Emailing and asking questions only makes the UIC committee think that you're desperate, rather than just a determined individual.
Taking the PCAT late was an only option for me. Yeah, I'm considering taking the year off to establish residency in CO and save money and apply to the school I really want to go to (UC Denver). Although, STLCOP is certainly tempting.
Emailing and asking questions only makes the UIC committee think that you're desperate, rather than just a determined individual.
Taking the PCAT late was an only option for me. Yeah, I'm considering taking the year off to establish residency in CO and save money and apply to the school I really want to go to (UC Denver). Although, STLCOP is certainly tempting.
How long did it take for you guys to get your acceptance letter in the mail? Also, have you received any other information from them or your UIC email address yet?
How long did it take for you guys to get your acceptance letter in the mail? Also, have you received any other information from them or your UIC email address yet?
Everyone I've talked to that have interviewed at UIC has interview day 1, and received response day 2. And UIC communicates primarily with email soo...
I just interviewed today and waiting for my response when a giant pchem midterm is hovering over my head atm

Refreshing my email every 3 minutes knowing they won't email me at 1am doesn't help either.
they replied to me in two days, so you might want to study for now lol 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone I've talked to that have interviewed at UIC has interview day 1, and received response day 2. And UIC communicates primarily with email soo...
I just interviewed today and waiting for my response when a giant pchem midterm is hovering over my head atm
Refreshing my email every 3 minutes knowing they won't email me at 1am doesn't help either.
Congrats, if you don't mind can you sharing your satas (PCAT, GPA ....)
For those of you who were accepted... can anyone tell me how long it took them to send you additional info and your UIC email addy after you sent them the deposit?
Congrats, if you don't mind can you sharing your satas (PCAT, GPA ....)
Thanks. And my stats aren't that impressive.
PCAT = 79 first time, 83 second time
GPA = 3.22 (pre-pharm gpa is even lower since I have 42 credit hours of APs which aren't calculated in)
I'm a junior in undergrad that can't graduate at the end of this year because some major classes are only offered in the fall.
I do have ~2 years of tech experience and ~2 years of research experience.
Mediocre overall. I was placed into the interview holding pattern since October, all this nail biting has pulled off
and hoping it'll carry me just a little bit further.Thanks. And my stats aren't that impressive.
PCAT = 79 first time, 83 second time
GPA = 3.22 (pre-pharm gpa is even lower since I have 42 credit hours of APs which aren't calculated in)
I'm a junior in undergrad that can't graduate at the end of this year because some major classes are only offered in the fall.
I do have ~2 years of tech experience and ~2 years of research experience.
Mediocre overall. I was placed into the interview holding pattern since October, all this nail biting has pulled offand hoping it'll carry me just a little bit further.
Good luck!
Did you interview at the Chicago site or the Rockford one?
Good luck!
Did you interview at the Chicago site or the Rockford one?
Thanks =)
And I interviewed at the Chicago site. I checked Chicago campus only when I was applying (maybe that's why I was placed in the holding pattern for so long? orrr maybe it's because of my stats
)Thanks =)
And I interviewed at the Chicago site. I checked Chicago campus only when I was applying (maybe that's why I was placed in the holding pattern for so long? orrr maybe it's because of my stats)
Your stats aren't that bad. Your first PCAT is better than mine was. However, I do have a higher GPA than you.
So I guess it evens out.
I don't know why everyone thinks that you have to be a 4.0 with 98 PCAT score to get into pharm school. There's so much more to it than just academia...
I don't know why everyone thinks that you have to be a 4.0 with 98 PCAT score to get into pharm school. There's so much more to it than just academia...
Eeks! Agreed! Though I have to admit sometimes I don't read peoples stats on here so I don't feel terrible. I mean I applaud and admire all their hard work...but man, makes me feel tiny sometimes.

I heard that they send us all of the information within the next month. However, I got an email from UIC saying that I can now view my financial aid letter (from FAFSA) through the my.uic.edu website. On this website you can activate your account.
I got the same mail about two weeks ago. It also gave me directions on how to activate my student UIN account. I was able to view my student info and FAFSA status. I just got a mail yesterday in regards to my Financial aid Award letter, as well as my estimated total cost of attendance. However, it is still an estimate because they still have to come up with the tuition for the academic year.I heard that they send us all of the information within the next month. However, I got an email from UIC saying that I can now view my financial aid letter (from FAFSA) through the my.uic.edu website. On this website you can activate your account.
I got the same mail about two weeks ago. It also gave me directions on how to activate my student UIN account. I was able to view my student info and FAFSA status. I just got a mail yesterday in regards to my Financial aid Award letter, as well as my estimated total cost of attendance. However, it is still an estimate because they still have to come up with the tuition for the academic year.
How much is the estimate cost of attendance? would you mind telling me that?
Estimated Tuition: $21,762How much is the estimate cost of attendance? would you mind telling me that?
Mandatory Fees: $3,700
These will most likely change but should stay in this general area.
Estimated Tuition: $21,762
Mandatory Fees: $3,700
These will most likely change but should stay in this general area.
And this is for in-state students, right?
So out-of-state is about $30,000?🙁
And this is for in-state students, right?
So out-of-state is about $30,000?🙁
Right about $30k without the fees. 🙁
http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal10_spr11.html
But I know you can apply for instate residency after a year 🙂 (I think)
If you have other insurance, you can waive the $401 insurance fee every semester to cut a little off the tuition/fees number. There are ways to utilize the fees and to get the most out of all the money you're spending too 😉
(I goto UIC undergrad and we pay all the same fees except a little more in some categories I believe.
)For those of you who completed the FAFSA, did you submit your parents information or no?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, you don't have to because Pharmacy School is considered graduate school, which automatically classifies you as independent.For those of you who completed the FAFSA, did you submit your parents information or no?
This is what I got as an out of State student. Hopefully it will be less my second year when I become a resident.How much is the estimate cost of attendance? would you mind telling me that?
It includes allowances for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and other expenses. Cost of Attendance Budget Component Amount Tuition - Out of State* $33,528.00
Mandatory Fees* $3,700.00
Books and Supplies $1,400.00
Housing and Food Expenses $12,418.00
Transportation $1,656.00
Personal Expenses $2,484.00
Total: $55,186.00
While you can theoretically apply for a change of residency after 1 year, chances of it being accepted are very low. You have to earn at least half of your expenses, and that includes tuition. The estimated cost of attendence for OOSer is $55k; therefore, you have to earn at least $27k or so. Also, if you get an on-campus job and that includes any positions through the hospital, it cannot be applied to the amount you have to earn.
I know of no one who has been able to do it as a pharmacy student. I know of only one person who did it as an undergrad.
http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/residentreg.cfm
I know of no one who has been able to do it as a pharmacy student. I know of only one person who did it as an undergrad.
http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/residentreg.cfm
For those of you who were accepted, have you guys received any background check email from UIC? I got an email requesting a background check and I'm wondering if it was from the other school.
Was your email from certiphi? If it was it might have been another school. I got excited and thought it was UIC, but UIC wasn't part of the Certiphi list.
https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2011/faq/pcas_background_check.shtml
No, you don't have to because Pharmacy School is considered graduate school, which automatically classifies you as independent.
But will it help me get more aid from the school if I submit my parent's information?
I know for medical school and other health professions that sometimes the school requires submission of parental financial information in order to qualify for additional aid from the school.
Was your email from certiphi? If it was it might have been another school. I got excited and thought it was UIC, but UIC wasn't part of the Certiphi list.
https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2011/faq/pcas_background_check.shtml
Yes, it was from certiphi, and thanks for the link🙂
UIC doesn't do their background checks through the PharmCAS peeps... they do it through the group they have a link to on their website
http://www.certifiedbackground.com/
http://www.certifiedbackground.com/
D
deleted329060
There was a round of Saturday interviews a few weeks ago that were pulled from the holding pool.
Wow! thanks for the information. That is definitely something to think about. However, do they consider your spouse's income?While you can theoretically apply for a change of residency after 1 year, chances of it being accepted are very low. You have to earn at least half of your expenses, and that includes tuition. The estimated cost of attendence for OOSer is $55k; therefore, you have to earn at least $27k or so. Also, if you get an on-campus job and that includes any positions through the hospital, it cannot be applied to the amount you have to earn.
I know of no one who has been able to do it as a pharmacy student. I know of only one person who did it as an undergrad.
http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/residentreg.cfm
Estimated Tuition: $21,762
Mandatory Fees: $3,700
These will most likely change but should stay in this general area.
So $25,000 a year?
Yes, for in-state tuition.So $25,000 a year?
Yes, for in-state tuition.
Horrible that I'll have about $180,000 worth of debt once I finish school. 😡
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if you get a job upon graduation and are ok with not living extravagantly for several years, you can get it paid off fairly quickly.Horrible that I'll have about $180,000 worth of debt once I finish school. 😡
Hey everyone, for those who got accepted, did you notice on the acceptance letter it said something about if you don't receive orientation and registration info by early august, then contact OSA? Does this imply that orientation and registration takes place in August? Isn't that kind of late? I read prior posts saying that these things would take place in June or so. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Well if you get a job upon graduation and are ok with not living extravagantly for several years, you can get it paid off fairly quickly.
I'm perfectly ok with that. I plan on living with my parents until I find my own job and then getting an apartment, whether I have to relocate or not.
I figure it will take me 10 years to get it all paid off while still having extra money left over to save and the rest to enjoy.
I actually called the school today in regards to that and was told orientation has been scheduled for June 17. He also said we will be getting that information in the mail in about three weeks or so.Hey everyone, for those who got accepted, did you notice on the acceptance letter it said something about if you don't receive orientation and registration info by early august, then contact OSA? Does this imply that orientation and registration takes place in August? Isn't that kind of late? I read prior posts saying that these things would take place in June or so. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Similar threads
- Locked
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K
- Poll
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 4K