University of Kentucky Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUPharmacy2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just applied Early Decision to UK, wondering who else applied and anything that's on their minds right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about the background check section for UK's supplemental application. Does anyone know if we are suppose to report traffic violations? I'm also applying Early Decision to UK - almost done! Thanks for any help.

I have a question about the background check section for UK's supplemental application. Does anyone know if we are suppose to report traffic violations? I'm also applying Early Decision to UK - almost done! Thanks for any help.

No, I don't think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
They did a review of the applications earlier this week. I have my fingers crossed!

Has anyone received an email for interviews yet? If so what were your stats I have a 3.4 gpa and a 93 on my pcat. I applied Early Decision out of state, what are my chances?

Last edited:
Guys, I'll be straight with you, no one can tell you your chances.

Has anyone gotten an email yet for early decision interviews

Nothing yet in my case. Just anxious waiting.

I know I hear you. Are you in state or out of state and did you apply to early admission?

Nothing here either. ED applicant and Kentucky resident. I will post as soon as I hear something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am out of state and havent heard anything. If you dont mind me asking ipharma what was your gpa and pcat?

Out of state applicant here. Was emailed last week about an interview on October 4, Accepted invitation. Did not apply for early admissions, but it says in the email that the interviews on October 4,5 are for early admissions applicants.

I am new here. Where can I find practice interview questions or interview questions from particular schools

From what I have been told they do not send all invites out for early decision at one time. Last year, some people got them two weeks in advance and some people got them only a few days in advance.

Being out of state, they may have given me a 2 week courtesy to find a flight etc.

Out of state applicant here. Was emailed last week about an interview on October 4, Accepted invitation. Did not apply for early admissions, but it says in the email that the interviews on October 4,5 are for early admissions applicants.

I am new here. Where can I find practice interview questions or interview questions from particular schools

That doesnt seem right at all. Theyre having regular decision applicants receive notices and have interviews with Early Decision applicants. Why did we even bother doing early admission if regular applicants are being notified and interviewed before us?

Just received this in an email from the UK Pre-Pharmacy Listserv:

"For college students who have applied to PharmCAS and completed the PharmD application process, we have started sending out interview invitations. All invitations are being sent via email. The majority of invitations will be emailed by Monday (Sept. 24) evening. If we send an invitation and do not receive a response from a student, we will call the student to confirm the interview. "

Possibly they are just trying to get some of the out-of-staters in early interview slots. Kind of makes sense if you think about it.

Yeah it would make sense if that out of stater was someone who applied to early decision not a regular decision applicant.

Also interviewing Oct. 4. Regular decision applicant, out of state.

No email here...yet. Hopefully they will send them out soon.

I was really happy to see an email from UK in my email inbox earlier today. I opened it up and was disappointed to see that it was just a reminder email to attend the pre-pharmacy meeting tomorrow.

No email here out of state early admission applicant.

No email here either, Out of State student as well. I also emailed Stephanie back to double check on the "receiving email".

I am an in-state, early decision applicant and got my interview invitation Friday afternoon (September 21st) for October 4th

What did Stephanie say? Has anyone gotten a hold of her? What happened to the emails that were supposed to have been sent yesterday evening?

Hey finally got an email back from stephaine. She said the majority have been sent out but they might send out more on wednesday or thursday. Just give me a yes or a no already.

I would interpret that as they've sent the invitations to their first-round picks at this point, but if any of those decline to interview they will sent out invitations to the second choices. So, it's statistically likely we will be rolled over to regular decision status at this point.

So are they going to automatically switch us to regular decision? or is that something we gotta change on PharmCas?

So are they going to automatically switch us to regular decision? or is that something we gotta change on PharmCas?

As far as I remember, UK will notify PharmCAS that you're released and you'll be able to move on with the application process as a regular decision applicant.

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/uky-pharm <-- This has specific questions for UK, but you can look at other schools there as well.

Congratulations to everyone who got an interview. For those of you still in the dark, I think I didn't get my e-mail from Stephanie until four or five days after I was supposed to have gotten it, and it was disheartening to see other people on SDN say they'd gotten an e-mail when I hadn't... either way, there were lots of people in my class who got deferred and got in during November interviews and even one guy who didn't find out until two weeks before classes started.

I know this wouldn't have brought me any comfort, but I'll say it anyway... it's early days, yet. You'll be just fine. All of you. :luck:

If you're coming on October 4th, I'm doing building tours and sitting on one of the student panels... I hope to see some of you all there!

Possibly they are just trying to get some of the out-of-staters in early interview slots. Kind of makes sense if you think about it.

The latest email from Danielle Johnson confirms that regular decision applicants will be interviewed with Early Decision applicants in October.

"Early Decision (ED) applicants will be given priority consideration for the first set of interview dates (Oct. 4, 5). Regular Decision applicants may receive an October interview if seats remain available"

Great info! Thanks, aocutiepi!

You're welcome!

Just curious, does anyone know what a typical early decision applicant's resume looks like?

Are these exceptional students that UK is afraid they are going to miss out on?

Does UK take in consideration other aspects like work experience or is it flat out based on PCAT and GPA?

I am not too concerned. Just doing the math in my head I estimate that they could only interview 28-30 people MAX in two days... That is just an educated guess though.

I'm obviously not on ADCOM, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think there is a "typical" resume. Obviously grades are going to have to be decent, PCAT too... there are plenty of kids who got in early decision with zero experience, and people like me who had the "average accepted" PCAT and GPA (79 and 3.54, respectively) but had lots of experience (8 years). And there are also people who have loads of experience and slightly lower GPAs and PCATs.

Yeah, they put emphasis on scores, but as one of my professors said in lecture Wednesday, "We focus a lot on getting in people we can tell have interpersonal skills. Pharmacists don't just pour, lick, and stick anymore." If your essays are stellar and your PCAT and GPA not at a level you love, they'll certainly look at your experience and recommendations. You can have an amazing PCAT but lack personality and I'd bet money they'll take the average to below average score with the person who has been involved in SOMETHING OTHER THAN SCHOOL and can actually talk to people.

I'd take your guess and extend it to somewhere around 45. There are three interview sessions each day. Last year there were about 8-10 in my timeslot. So I'd say about 25 a day or so.

Also, if you're not on the prepharm Listserv, they're having an e-chat info session next Wednesday if you want to register: http://aacp.careereco.net/students-alumni/virtual-fair-registration/. You'll have a chance to chat with admissions staff, faculty, and current students.

"Dear Mr Lexington2012: Thank you for your interest in the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy!
At this time, all applicants selected for an October interview have been notified and confirmed. I urge you to not be discouraged or disheartened at this time. The Admissions Committee will continue to review all applicants for the remaining interviews scheduled in November, February, and March.
For those who applied as an Early Decision applicant, we will officially notify PharmCAS on October 9, letting them know that you are no longer being considered as an Early Decision applicant. Once they release you from your Early Decision designation, you will then be able to apply to other schools.
Please don't hesitate to contact me with .with questions you may have..

.Thank you,.
.Danielle Johnson.
.UK College of Pharmacy Office of Admissions".

October 4th interviews went well. Arrived at the BPC building at 1:30 and was out by 3:30. There was a 2 on 1 interview that lasted 20-30 minutes and a 4 on 4 interview that was also 20-30 minutes. 10 minute BPC building tour, followed by the dean telling us about the program. Emails will be sent Oct 19th to let us know if we are accepted. If not accepted, our applications will be reviewed along with new applications for each subsequent interview cycle.

Don't get discouraged if you didn't get in the early decision interviews. I didn't even take my PCAT until October 2010, and got my scores back just before the deadline to apply for the class of 2015. I was in the last group interviewed (Feb. 2011, however the class of 2016 had an extra set of interviews than the class of 2015 did). I was wait listed, and finally accepted in June 2011, about 2 weeks after the pre-professional meetings.

My grades and PCAT were not so good, however I had a diverse background, and I made sure the rest of my application was solid to make up for where I didn't shine. Don't neglect your essays or letters of recommendation. Make sure you update the school on any changes. I took the PCAT a second time in Feb. 2011, after I had my interview. Clearly their initial decision on me did not take into account my improved PCAT score, and I called the school to make sure they knew about the new score. They didn't, and within a few days of them knowing my new score I got my acceptance email.

Just an FYI, my stats were not that great, but I was still accepted to 3 of the 4 schools I applied to, and I got an interview and wait listed on the 4th. Nail your interviews - once you get to the interview part, you've passed the eye test. I know at UK, they interview about 200 people for 135 slots. In order to fill 135 slots they'll accept about 160 students give or take, depending on how many decline or end up unable to meet requirements over the summer. If you get an interview, you've got a pretty good chance of being accepted.