University of Louisville (SOM) vs University of Kentucky (COM) Bowling Green Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsDr.Will

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am considering both the University of Louisville and UK Bowling Green Campus for medical school next fall. I am wondering if anyone has any insight on the pros and cons of each. Louisville is the more established campus, while UK Bowling Green is in its first year next fall. However, the class sizes are very different as well as the living environment. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am considering both the University of Louisville and UK Bowling Green Campus for medical school next fall. I am wondering if anyone has any insight on the pros and cons of each. Louisville is the more established campus, while UK Bowling Green is in its first year next fall. However, the class sizes are very different as well as the living environment. What do you guys think?
Any FA info? What specialties are you wanting to pursue?

While the bowling green campus is new the university of Kentucky curriculum is well established and the students there have the same clinical rotation site options as those at Lexington. I read that Louisville nearly lost accreditation just a few years ago in 2015 for things like “not enough seats for the amount of students....” that’s unacceptable to me. While I’m sure that has obviously been corrected as they are no longer at risk to lose accreditation it put up a big red flag to me when I was looking at were I wanted to apply. I ultimately choose UK and will be attending this summer in the inaugural class

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvi...he-nine-problems-that-put-u-of-l-medical.html

Okay so here's my take:
The University of Kentucky COM is ranked the better medical school and that has been established and in UofL SOM has lagged behind in investing in their medical students, but they've taken action to fix all of those

Everything MrsApache said is correct about UofL almost losing accreditation but I had many friends that were in ULSOM during the probation period and they told me that Louisville immediately took steps to improve its curriculum and spent many millions to revamp the entire medical school so a lot of the things top notch. I personally wouldn't let a past problem be too much of a deciding factor especially since that is the first probation in the school's history according to the article. It's still something to think about though...

UKCOM-BG is a wonderful campus and its a satellite campus of an amazing medical school. The only downside about it imo seems to be due to the fact that it is a brand new campus and you will inevitably experience some hiccups due to that. Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this but I heard that some of the classes will be taught online through live video which I am not too big of a fan of. Also being the inaugural class is awesome but it comes with its own problems with not having any previous classes to ask for advice. That's just me being picky though. During my interview in BG I asked about this and they admitted that being the first class comes with its set of problems but they are going to be working extra hard to Iron out any problems as quickly as possible. They also told me that there is no preferential treatment towards either campus(that was obvious but just thought id throw it in there to be fair). The smaller class sizes are a huge plus to me because it's more personalized teaching and you get closer to your classmates which I love

When it comes to which school you want to go to I would just say the one you felt most comfortable with on your first impression and if you need to I'm sure both schools would be more than happy to give a second look to help you decide. Again this is all my opinion and things that I didn't find very significant you might weigh heavily so it's totally up to you. UofL is officially out of probation the last I heard and UK is overall the better medical school. I have only been accepted to one of the schools so far so my decision has pretty much been made up for me ;) haha. If I end up getting accepted to the second one I'm going to have a super tough decision on my hands. Location is also pretty important to me because I am a Louisville native so staying near home is nice.

Sorry for the super long post but I had some time on my hands over summer break and thought id share my thoughts on the topic. :) Whichever school you end up choosing I hope it's for the best. Good luck! (excuse grammatical errors I'm too lazy to proofread haha)

Reactions: 1 user